Is Jeff Green an asset or liability?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Re: Is Jeff Green an asset or liability? 

Post#41 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:24 am

moss_is_1 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:If he were just a backup SF, maybe, but Jeff Green is a 3-position player

What? SF / PF and...?

He is actually a better defender/player at SG than PF. It's kinda fluid depending on who you playing, though. A major responsibility of bigs these days is to help defend PGs, who can get loose with a single pick in this league. Green not an ideal defensive PF by any stretch, but he helps defend smalls there and is a good uptempo 4.
WhateverBro
Head Coach
And1: 1,578

Post#42 » by WhateverBro » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:08 am

Doormatt wrote:
WhateverBro wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:I'm assuming this thread was bumped by a celtics fan to "rub the doubter's faces in it", he's a league average player and other players having bad contracts doesn't make his better. It's a common trap to fall into 'player x is making this much so player y deserves his contract.' Well, no, that's not the way it works.

What numbers support him an average player in this league? Hes clearly above average and has allstar level potential.

pretty much every advnaced stat. his RAPM (hes 279th this year), his IPV (ranked 245th), his on/off, etc.

dude is super **** average, what do you think hes an entirely different player than when he was playing for OKC? he was average there and hes average now, he doesnt do anything that well offensively (16ppg per 36 on 56TS% Is respectable, but his efficiency is slightly inflated because of his abnormally high 3pt%) and his defense is meh. celtics defense barely sees a change when hes off the court (hes -0.3 which is average) and the offense actually gets worse when hes playing by about 1.6 points.

hes a classic tweener that cant handle the ball and is just an okay scorer. he cant faciliate and he cant create for others, and his defense is pretty overrated if people think hes a difference maker, since theres pretty much no evidence for that. in no universe is he anywhere near all star caliber nor does he have the potential imo with his age and skillset.

I figured you would quote his season numbers which is completely useless in this case because a) coming back from heart surgery after being out for a full year b) he would be fully recovered in february according to reports.

Look at the splits since feb or even january. Thats not the numbers of an average player. Hes clearly improved his shot, shot selection and foot work. He looked out of sync in the beginning of the year but since then hes been looking like a different player. Its a small sample size but if he can sustain this level of play its no way you can argue hes average.
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#43 » by Doormatt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:28 am

WhateverBro wrote:I figured you would quote his season numbers which is completely useless in this case because a) coming back from heart surgery after being out for a full year b) he would be fully recovered in february according to reports.

Look at the splits since feb or even january. Thats not the numbers of an average player. Hes clearly improved his shot, shot selection and foot work. He looked out of sync in the beginning of the year but since then hes been looking like a different player. Its a small sample size but if he can sustain this level of play its no way you can argue hes average.

haha so youre just going to ignore the player hes been for 5+ years and his skillset as a tweener? ok cool, you do that.

btw he had a good stretch in '10 from around february-april where he averaged ~16/6/1 shooting ~47% from the field and 42% from 3.

he is who he is, hes not going to suddenly become a better player because hes a celtic
#doorgek
pross
Veteran
And1: 174

Post#44 » by pross » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:55 am

Doormatt wrote:
WhateverBro wrote:I figured you would quote his season numbers which is completely useless in this case because a) coming back from heart surgery after being out for a full year b) he would be fully recovered in february according to reports.

haha so youre just going to ignore the player hes been for 5+ years and his skillset as a tweener? ok cool, you do that.

btw he had a good stretch in '10 from around february-april where he averaged ~16/6/1 shooting ~47% from the field and 42% from 3.

he is who he is, hes not going to suddenly become a better player because hes a celtic

Of course not but you can't just deny the fact that he had a FULL YEAR off basketball. That's not easy to come back from and even early reports suggested he wouldn't be back to full strength until Jan/Feb. Take a look at his stats from then and they'll show you he's above average. I'm not saying he is a superstar in the making or even an all-star, but I can guarantee probably half the league would prefer him starting at the 3 then who they currently have.
Doormatt
RealGM

Post#45 » by Doormatt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:00 am

pross wrote:
Doormatt wrote:

Of course not but you can't just deny the fact that he had a FULL YEAR off basketball. That's not easy to come back from and even early reports suggested he wouldn't be back to full strength until Jan/Feb. Take a look at his stats from then and they'll show you he's above average. I'm not saying he is a superstar in the making or even an all-star, but I can guarantee probably half the league would prefer him starting at the 3 then who they currently have.

sure at least average to maybe above average when healthy, i can agree with that, but he most definitely does not have all start talent or potential. thats been quite obvious since he left OKC, he just isnt that type of player. i mean okc traded him for an average center that they give limited minutes to, do you really think the thunder are so inept that jeff green secretly had all star talent and they just gave him away/werent utilizing him? no, the reality is he just isnt that good.
#doorgek
Doormatt
RealGM

Post#46 » by Doormatt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:00 am

pross wrote:
Doormatt wrote:

sure at least average to maybe above average when healthy, i can agree with that, but he most definitely does not have all start talent or potential. thats been quite obvious since he left OKC, he just isnt that type of player. i mean okc traded him for an average center that they give limited minutes to, do you really think the thunder are so inept that jeff green secretly had all star talent and they just gave him away/werent utilizing him? no, the reality is he just isnt that good.
#doorgek
pross
Veteran

Post#47 » by pross » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:21 am

Doormatt wrote:
pross wrote:

Well they just traded Harden didn't they??

Hindsights a beautiful thing. At the time, Perkins was anchoring the best defense in the league. OKC knew they needed a defensive big to counter the Lakers twin towers of Bynum/Gasol.

To say he couldn't potentially be an allstar in the future is understating him. I'm not saying he will, but I don't think I'm overrating him in saying that it's a possibility given his form the last 3 months. The guy went toe to toe with Lebron and pretty much outplayed him. No one can say that this year except Jeff Green. The potential is there, I just hope he can remain consistent to reach that potential
Doormatt
RealGM

Post#48 » by Doormatt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:33 am

pross wrote:
Doormatt wrote:
pross wrote:

thats kind of different becuase they knew how good harden was but they couldnt afford to pay him and westbrook. you could argue they shoudlve just paid harden instead, and i would 100% agree, but the whole thing is apples to oranges. plus they got a pretty good package in return, the type of return teams get for star players. i think it was a mistake, a pretty big one tbh, but not a comparable situation.

pross wrote:Hindsights a beautiful thing. At the time, Perkins was anchoring the best defense in the league. OKC knew they needed a defensive big to counter the Lakers twin towers of Bynum/Gasol.

perkins has never anchored anything in his entire life, and its disrespectful to kg to even suppose that. KG is the heart, the driving force, and the anchor of the celtics defense. theres a reason they fall apart defensively when KG is off the court, KG was, and continues to be, the entire defense.

To say he couldn't potentially be an allstar in the future is understating him. I'm not saying he will, but I don't think I'm overrating him in saying that it's a possibility given his form the last 3 months. The guy went toe to toe with Lebron and pretty much outplayed him. No one can say that this year except Jeff Green. The potential is there, I just hope he can remain consistent to reach that potential

yeah sorry i dont see it at all. players dont suddenly become all star caliber players this late into their careers. its not like hes been sitting on the bench his whole career or not being used properly either.
#doorgek
DijonRondo
Veteran
And1: 1,801

Post#49 » by DijonRondo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:38 am

I didn't know that being in the league for 6 years was "this late into their careers."
pross
Veteran

Post#50 » by pross » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:39 am

Doormatt wrote:
pross wrote:
Doormatt wrote:

thats kind of different becuase they knew how good harden was but they couldnt afford to pay him and westbrook. you could argue they shoudlve just paid harden instead, and i would 100% agree, but the whole thing is apples to oranges. plus they got a pretty good package in return, the type of return teams get for star players. i think it was a mistake, a pretty big one tbh, but not a comparable situation.

pross wrote:Hindsights a beautiful thing. At the time, Perkins was anchoring the best defense in the league. OKC knew they needed a defensive big to counter the Lakers twin towers of Bynum/Gasol.

perkins has never anchored anything in his entire life, and its disrespectful to kg to even suppose that. KG is the heart, the driving force, and the anchor of the celtics defense. theres a reason they fall apart defensively when KG is off the court, KG was, and continues to be, the entire defense.

yeah sorry i dont see it at all. players dont suddenly become all star caliber players this late into their careers. its not like hes been sitting on the bench his whole career or not being used properly either.

This late in his career? The guy is still young. Heck that Pistons crew from 04 were much older when they finally made the jump.

Maybe anchoring the defense wasn't the right term as you're right, the Celtics defense goes as far as KG will take them, but you'd be ignorant to think Perkins wasn't a factor in that.

I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one. I think he has potential to get to the allstar level and he's definitely shown that over the last 3 months. If a guy like Luol Deng can make it, then I see no reason that a more consistent Jeff Green couldn't make it in a few years time with a bigger role.
Fantaxp7
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,613

Post#51 » by Fantaxp7 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:50 am

To us I'd say he's an asset as Pierce can't cover Lebron or Carmelo for an entire game anymore.

Green's defence on Lebron has been good, not sayin he shuts him down or anything, but he does a relatively solid job.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#52 » by spearsy23 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:00 pm

Have the C's fan base not learned anything about getting too high on players? Avery Bradley would like his mvp trophy now.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
WhateverBro
Head Coach
And1: 1,578

Post#53 » by WhateverBro » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:25 pm

Doormatt wrote:

I'm not ignoring his past, in which he was a very average player but he isn't anymore. It's not really surprising considering he was out for a full year in which basically all he could do for half a year was shoot the ball. Him being a much better shooter shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, he's had plenty of time to work on his shot while he was out and I think it's clear that the Celtic staff knew what he had accomplished when they threw him that deal.

Also, to say he has the skillset of a tweener is flat out wrong. What makes him a tweener? He's a perfect fit at the 3 spot, and can also play the 2 and 4 for either a big lineup or small ball. He can shoot the three, deadly from the corner, has the size and speed of a SF. What exactly is he lacking at the 3 position? There isn't a single SF he can't guard in this league. Not saying he's elite defensively but he's certainly not a tweener, I don't get where that notion comes from.

It's nice to know that he had a stretch 16 / 6 on 47 % in OKC too between feb and april but compared this to his post all-star numbers this season;

17.6 ppg (49.2 FG%, 43.2 3PT%, 79.8 FT%), 5 rpg, 2.7 apg in 28 games.

As a starter; 20.8 ppg (52.2 FG%, 51 3PT%, 76.2 FT%), 5.9 rpg, 3 apg in 16 games.

Certainly not average, especially when all of this coincidentally happened around the time he was supposed to be fully conditioned and healthy again.

The sample-size isn't great, so I won't say it's a given that he'll keep this up and even stays at this level for next year or improves but he's certainly been playing like an above average player since the beginning of the new year and the numbers support that.
Banned User
And1: 536

Post#54 » by 420 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:38 pm

An asset when he plays against the Heat, which is the only team that matters if you're the Celtics.
Deathclutch23
Rookie
And1: 39

Post#55 » by Deathclutch23 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:47 pm

spearsy23 wrote:Have the C's fan base not learned anything about getting too high on players? Avery Bradley would like his mvp trophy now.

Salty OKC fan just stop. Most Celtics fans just consider Green to be a decent starter, don't try to generalize us. Just stop.

And @ all the people saying all star is too much of a farfetched dream , Mo **** Williams and Devin Harris were an all star. In East it's not that hard to be an all star once or twice.
"We are not here to talk about history, we are here to keep making it"
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,485

Post#56 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:55 pm

cnv2855 wrote:
Scorpion King wrote:Liability for sure. They should have never traded for him. Signing him to that contract is another mistake.

From his body language he seems not happy. I bet he still misses OKC. Having Kevin Garnett has your team does not help.

Watch a few of his interviews. I have a lot of friends with bad drug habits and he sounds exactly like them when they're barred out. Listen to how he almost slurs his words, how slow they are pronounced, and how he's so "out of it".

I met Jeff Green at a friend's birthday party last year, and didn't get that impression at all. He seemed shy, a little guarded, but entirely "normal" otherwise. Definitely not zonked out like an addict.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#57 » by spearsy23 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:05 pm

Deathclutch23 wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:Have the C's fan base not learned anything about getting too high on players? Avery Bradley would like his mvp trophy now.

Salty OKC fan just stop. Most Celtics fans just consider Green to be a decent starter, don't try to generalize us. Just stop.

And @ all the people saying all star is too much of a farfetched dream , Mo **** Williams and Devin Harris were an all star. In East it's not that hard to be an all star once or twice.

I'm salty about Jeff green? He wouldn't be on OKC this year even if we hadn't traded him :-? Why would I be salty about a guy who would be our 8th man at BEST?
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#58 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:01 pm

Pretty much the other way around, though, isn't it?

Celts have had a ton of recent players and teams who exceeded expectations. Pierce, Rondo, Al Jefferson, Perkins, Tony Allen... etc. Even coaches and front office guys like Thibodeau and Morey.

Everyone said this Celts team was already dead back in early 2009, when KG got hurt. How'd that work out? All I know is that we gave the Heat the scare of their lives in the playoffs last year with half a team, before watching them bury your Thunder with ease.

Just like they will again this year.
RutgersBJJ
General Manager
And1: 125

Post#59 » by RutgersBJJ » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:13 pm

Deathclutch23 wrote:

At the front-court position? No chance. You named two guards who made it when guard depth was terrible. He has no chance. He'll never put up better years than Josh Smith has the past 3 seasons and Smith never even came close to making the team. On any given year there is Melo, Bosh, George, Granger, Lopez, Noah, Lebron, and Horford. Green will obviously never make an all-star team.
RIP Jared Jeffries. Gone but never forgotten...2006-2012
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,074

Post#60 » by MrBigShot » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:33 pm

RutgersBJJ wrote:
Deathclutch23 wrote:

At the front-court position? No chance. You named two guards who made it when guard depth was terrible. He has no chance. He'll never put up better years than Josh Smith has the past 3 seasons and Smith never even came close to making the team. On any given year there is Melo, Bosh, George, Granger, Lopez, Noah, Lebron, and Horford. Green will obviously never make an all-star team.

Not so sure about that...I think it's pretty clear he'd never make it over Melo or Lebron but the it's always possible for the other guys to have down years, and for Green to take a bigger step forward when the Celtics move on from the Pierce/KG/Allen era.

18/5/3/1/1 with great defense on 49/43/80 shooting post all-star break. That's pretty terrific...to early to say he will "obviously never make an all star team".
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James

Return to The General Board