Can Lakers make to the Playoffs this year?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Can Lakers make to the playoffs in wild wild west?

Yes, Kobe + Dwight + Gasol + Nash are you kidding me?
24%
No, this team struggles so hard, it's hard for them to make to the playoffs this season
47%
Not sure, I have to wait and see, Steve isn't in the lineup yet.
14%
Don't care
15%

Total votes: 325

poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,066

Re: Can Lakers make to the Playoffs this year? 

Post#61 » by poeman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:25 am

whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#62 » by whocurrz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:32 am

Probably, but unless they make the WCF this whole experiment is kind of a failure. Can't add enough pieces to compliment this core, and the other WC contenders (Grizz, Clips Thunder Spurs) can probably improve more.

Defense is definitely the biggest issue. Plus I think Dwight was overrated by SVG putting him in a great situation. I think SVG made him look like a better offensive and defensive player via schemes and he's being exposed now that he's not in similar situations. Terrible defenders and defensive schemes coupled with guys not being able to shoot and spread the floor is a recipe for disaster. Dwight is not a great post scorer, especially when he doesn't have space (gets stripped a lot) and no shooters to pass it to. His impact was vastly overrated by that one finals run where the Magic shooters got hot and KG was hurt. Other than that his teams never even made the ECF despite the East being a joke for years. He's still probably the best defensive C but with worse defenders and worse schemes he's not able to impact the defense as much as it appeared he did for SVG in Orlando.

Basically, they tried to build a roster around 4 superstars sacrificing the need for a bench. Really backfired when two of these guys they counted on are injured and one is playing like an allstar only at times but can hurt the team as much as help them if not in the right situation. Kobe is the only guy playing like a superstar. Dwight like an allstar sometimes and the rest of the guys suck or are injured.
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
TruSkool
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#63 » by TruSkool » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:41 am

nash may still be able to turn things around....but it doesn't look good this year
MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,326

Post#64 » by MaliBrah » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:45 am

i doubt nash changes much as well , him and kobe need the ball in their hands , they're both ball dominant , i dont know how its gonna work and I find it hard seeing kobe giving up the ball to play off the ball
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#65 » by nykballa2k4 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:47 am

The season is early.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
CelticsRise
Senior
And1: 9

Post#66 » by CelticsRise » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:16 am

Initially I felt this was a joke thread but if one actually looks at the numbers, Lakers might be in trouble.

Their current record is 9-13

60 more games to go.

Based on past year stats for WC 8th seed needs to win at least 55% of the games i.e. about 45 games.

This means they need to win 36 of next 60 games which is 60%.

That's does not look good for them considering their current form. They are yet to play tougher opponents such as Knicks, Heat and more games with Spurs, OKC, Clips, Mem (same conference teams).

Again, they may win 60% of the remaining games but they have to drastically fix their issues or they will be in deep trouble.

Also, 7-8th seed won't do them any good as they may end up facing Spurs, OKC.
EvilSperm
Banned User
And1: 17

Post#67 » by EvilSperm » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:36 am

the lakers will finish the season with 60 wins yes i said it
izZo
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#68 » by izZo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:30 pm

spearsy23 wrote:I refuse to believe they'll miss out, as much as I hope they do.

Ditto.

Wilford Brimley wrote:nice defense

:rofl:
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#69 » by old rem » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:12 pm

whocurrz wrote:Probably, but unless they make the WCF this whole experiment is kind of a failure. Can't add enough pieces to compliment this core, and the other WC contenders (Grizz, Clips Thunder Spurs) can probably improve more.

Defense is definitely the biggest issue. Plus I think Dwight was overrated by SVG putting him in a great situation. I think SVG made him look like a better offensive and defensive player via schemes and he's being exposed now that he's not in similar situations. Terrible defenders and defensive schemes coupled with guys not being able to shoot and spread the floor is a recipe for disaster. Dwight is not a great post scorer, especially when he doesn't have space (gets stripped a lot) and no shooters to pass it to. His impact was vastly overrated by that one finals run where the Magic shooters got hot and KG was hurt. Other than that his teams never even made the ECF despite the East being a joke for years. He's still probably the best defensive C but with worse defenders and worse schemes he's not able to impact the defense as much as it appeared he did for SVG in Orlando.

Basically, they tried to build a roster around 4 superstars sacrificing the need for a bench. Really backfired when two of these guys they counted on are injured and one is playing like an allstar only at times but can hurt the team as much as help them if not in the right situation. Kobe is the only guy playing like a superstar. Dwight like an allstar sometimes and the rest of the guys suck or are injured.

The Chemistry is bad. Nash might get back...but at his age he has to be 100%...at least. Pau...not doing well,and not easy to trade even if those knees get healthy. Artest....is starting because there's nobody else. Hill may be the only bench guy of any use...and obviously they have yet to really fit Dwight in completely.

Right now? A smoking crater. The Lakers ain't beating even some of the weak teams...just lost to the Cavs even with Kobe firing away. They need to do some turn around just to be winning half the time...note..WITH Pau..LAL was not winning. Without him...they are a bit worse and due to big $ salaries...LAL has minimal trades they might do.
CENSORED... No comment.
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#70 » by rsavaj » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:19 pm

CelticsRise wrote:Initially I felt this was a joke thread but if one actually looks at the numbers, Lakers might be in trouble.

Their current record is 9-13

60 more games to go.

Based on past year stats for WC 8th seed needs to win at least 55% of the games i.e. about 45 games.

This means they need to win 36 of next 60 games which is 60%.

That's does not look good for them considering their current form. They are yet to play tougher opponents such as Knicks, Heat and more games with Spurs, OKC, Clips, Mem (same conference teams).

Again, they may win 60% of the remaining games but they have to drastically fix their issues or they will be in deep trouble.

Also, 7-8th seed won't do them any good as they may end up facing Spurs, OKC.

And if you take the avg over the past 4 full seasons, you need 48-49 wins to get the 8th spot in the West.

Lakers need to go 40-20(.666 ball) to get there.

This might actually be a serious question, especially if they continue to tumble before Nash gets back.
SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 2,961

Post#71 » by SweetTouch » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:39 pm

Even Howards defense has been exposed

Hill received a facial because Howard fell for a pumpfake by ANDERSON VAREJAO
Stop being so disrespectful.
The Skyhook
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#72 » by The Skyhook » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:41 pm

I really wonder if the Lakers are actually worried about this.
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#73 » by MitchellUK » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:47 pm

Of course they can. However, each passing game with the same lack of cohesion and defensive breakdowns makes it a harder ask.
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#74 » by The Laker Kid » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:48 pm

SweetTouch wrote:Even Howards defense has been exposed

Hill received a facial because Howard fell for a pumpfake by ANDERSON VAREJAO

:lol:
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#75 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:52 pm

MitchellUK wrote:Of course they can. However, each passing game with the same lack of cohesion and defensive breakdowns makes it a harder ask.

Exactly.

I'm sure the overwhelming majority of people believe the Lakers will figure it out and make the playoffs, even though many don't want them to.

There's too much talent on that team for them not succeed. And if doesn't start to work out, they'll attempt to make the necessary trades to bring in people who actually care.
SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 2,961

Post#76 » by SweetTouch » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:57 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV4NvYVPIq8&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
Cavs announcers are funny
Stop being so disrespectful.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#77 » by moocow007 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Depends on how soon Nash can get back. I'm surprised no one has come out with a front page (even if it's just a drawing) of Nash sitting on a white horse dressed in shining armor.
Jaykoolzboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 96

Post#78 » by Jaykoolzboy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:27 pm

What if Nash gets injured again after 3 game? I think fans are pushing Nash out even tho he isn't close to 100 percent.
Muggsy Bogues
Assistant Coach
And1: 288

Post#79 » by Muggsy Bogues » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:44 pm

Given the sort of record they'll need for the rest of the season just to get the 8th seed (which I assume will require about 47-49 wins), I don't think they've got a good shot at making it, even once everyone's healthy. They have no depth and D'Antoni's system doesn't fit their lineup at all.
KennyDuwayne
Senior
And1: 1,068

Post#80 » by KennyDuwayne » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:58 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:
osamu wrote:When does the blame fall on Kobe? Or he gets a pass?

at halftime tonight:

Kobe: 16 points, 7/10 FG

Rest of team: 23 points, 7/25

Lakers losing by 15.

This has been a trend this season. I know blaming Kobe is a popular thing to do around these parts, but he's been playing very good basketball this year. When he passes 30 points it's going to be his fault if they lose, right? :nonono: Defense is a team concept and the breakdowns have been from all over the floor. I don't know why all of a sudden Kobe gets the full weight of the blame for their defensive troubles.

This is somewhat comparable to the football stat saying Team X wins 85% of the time when player Y rushes more than 25 times a game. Team X doesn't win because he's rushing 25 times, Player Y is rushing 25 times because his team is winning.

Kobe doesn't take 30 shots if his teammates make their shots. Chances are when his teammates are also draining their shots, the Lakers are winning and Kobe doesn't have to put up 30 ppg.

Return to The General Board