How would you rebuild the Kings/Sonics

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

ReturnofMVP3
RealGM
And1: 11,580

How would you rebuild the Kings/Sonics 

Post#1 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:10 am

I got this idea from the sonics board: viewforum.php?f=31 but thought it would be interesting to see what a wider range of fans thought.

Question: Once moved I think they will probably go for a rebuild but if you were the GM of the new team what would you do, who would you keep and trade? Who would be coach (lets keep it realistic, someone available and might be willing)?

Current Roster is:
Aaron Brooks PG $3,250,000
DeMarcus Cousins $3,880,800
Tyreke Evans PG $5,250,825
Jimmer Fredette PG $2,339,040
Francisco Garcia SF $6,100,000
Chuck Hayes PF $5,486,250
Tyler Honeycutt SF $809,875
James Johnson PF $2,812,006
Travis Outlaw SF $3,000,000
Thomas Robinson PF $3,374,640
John Salmons SF $8,083,000
Isaiah Thomas PG $762,195
Jason Thompson PF $5,250,000
Marcus Thornton SG $7,525,000
Donald Trump is an idiot.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,072

Re: How would you rebuild the Kings/Sonics 

Post#2 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:17 am

Honestly, I think they should go with the fresh start approach. Clean house.

Its certainly not easy to do and requires patience, but I doubt they would want to be associated with the Kings in any way. Having guys like DeMaracus Cousins and Tyreke Evans wouldn't be great from PR standpoint in a new town. Kings fans have liked them for the fact they were on the Kings, most other fans don't really love them(yes, they are talented, but I'm talking from PR standpoint and how people from Seattle may feel).

Seems like it would be easier to just have a fresh start.
BigLurch92
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#3 » by BigLurch92 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:24 am

Before they deal with the players they need to fire everyone in the front office and coaching staff. Start fresh from there. I think they keep DMC tho. Have him as the building block. Keep Jimmer and Robinson too, but everyone should be up for grabs.
deliriousmouse
Rookie
And1: 169

Post#4 » by deliriousmouse » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:29 am

Trade Evans for anything of value
Trade Hayes
Trade Cousins
Trade Fredette

Gut the Team, Evans is a ball reliant SF, Would trade for whoever possible
Hayes is a good player however the kings long-term option of a dominant big man he's not really useful
Trade Cousins for a top pick, Bundle whatever you can to get another pick in the top 3, bring in 2-3 good young players to grow your new franchise with

Would keep J Thompson/Brooks, Everyone else clear out.

Land 2 of the top 3 picks

Pursue Josh Smith HARD,
Draft Shabazz
If able to get pick 2-3-4
Draft Noel

Take on a horrible contract for an asset. It's going to cost a bit to get 1-2 good FA in, You need the mindset to build a team, Smith/another good trade will make them a mid-tier team with Shabazz/ Noel/Zeller you have two guys who'll probably be your 1-2 guys in 5-6 years to market for.

Seattle will love the team, however you need a new face or two to grow the team back, Shabazz is the guy, pairing him up with another big guy is a must
fallacy
RealGM
And1: 607

Post#5 » by fallacy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:39 am

trade everything. I'm not even joking
**** Ron Artest
**** Marco Belinelli
Stephen Jackson aint bout dis lyfe
Patrick Beverly deserves to have his knee ripped to pieces
deliriousmouse
Rookie
And1: 169

Post#6 » by deliriousmouse » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:42 am

Recruit Shawn Kemp,

I dont even care if he's 43, I bet he's got some Uncle Drew about him

"Don't Jump Young Blood!"
pross
Veteran
And1: 174

Post#7 » by pross » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:45 am

I'd keep DMC/Thomas Robinson. Talented big men are hard to come by and these 2 have a lot of talent. I think in the right situation they could flourish into all-stars. Get some solid role players, good locker room type guys and go from there.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,188

Post#8 » by kodo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:49 am

#1: Sign Phil Jackson.
branny
Assistant Coach
And1: 28

Post#9 » by branny » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:50 am

Keep DMC/Robinson. Frontcourt of the future. Get rid of Thornton and Brooks for the backcourt
BWSL
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#10 » by BWSL » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:55 am

Dump everyone except Robinson and Fredette. Rebuild, focusing on character guys who are solid citizens and have reputations as hard workers. If you're trying to endear yourself to a new city, you don't want problem cases like Cousins hanging around.

Possible targets could be Danny Granger, Paul Millsap, maybe Jameer Nelson? Shoot for Mohammed or Noels in the draft.
Paul Millsap is the Chuck Norris of the NBA.
Hiphophead101
Senior
And1: 68

Post#11 » by Hiphophead101 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:11 am

Keep DMC rest of the roster can go. Rebuild through draft and free agency. Kings still have cap space.
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 14,828

Post#12 » by Mk0 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:12 am

I posted this on the Bulls board.

Hire Phil Jackson as President of Basketball Operations. He does 90% of his job sitting on his porch in Montana. He hires GM-in-title Kurt Rambis, Head Coach Brian Shaw and Assistant Coach Scottie Pippen to beat the triangle into Cousins thick skull. Rebuild the roster around DMC + Triangle.

Challenge Shaq to put his money where his mouth is and sign on for a 2-year contract as the big man coach, personally taking responsibility for turning DMC into the franchise center he can be.

Hire Gary Payton as Sonics Ambassador (Scottie's current job for the Bulls). Where he sits court side and bathe in adoration whenever he feels like going to a game.

Hire Kemp as head of custodians. He has like 9 kids to feed.

Why it works:
Pip wants to be a head coach, but if PJ says this is your shot, this is what I have for you. Then no doubt he takes the assistant gig.

Shaw gets to be a Head Coach

Rambis gets out of the studio and gets to be a GM. Phil still has final say-so as Pres. of Ops.

Shaq gets to feed his ego by taking credit for any and all DMC success.

Its a win for everyone involved. The tough part is tricking Shaq into giving up the TNT gig, but if it has a chance to boost his legacy he may do it. Feed his ego and get him into buying into it as the next stage of his career.

As a Bulls fan I would hate to lose Scottie since we have so few ties to the title team around, but he deserves a spot on the bench.

As a fan of the Sonics even through the tertiary relationship of going to their games when visiting friends I would love it. It would be the ultimate franchise rebuild. Everyone involved with your FO have multiple championship rings under their belt. From different eras and positions. Talk about building with a winning pedigree.

Don't get me wrong, I am a die-hard Bulls fan but the Sonics have always been one of my favorite teams. I am from Northern California and when I was a kid if you weren't pretending to be Jordan you were the Glove or JKidd. Having ties to Seattle only enhanced that bond and although half of my family are Kings fans I cannot help but be excited to see Sonics basketball. It is a damn shame to lose the Kings, but in the end losing them to Seattle to new, key word, NEW owner group is huge.

It is bitter sweet but new the Hansen Sonics >>>> Maloof Anaheim Kings.

Specifically on this thread I have to say that if the above is in action than you keep.

Brooks(expiring in a year?)/Thomas/Jimmer
Thornton
JJ/Salmons (expiring I assume)
T-Rob, Jason Thompson, Chuck Hayes
Cousins

Trade everyone else for expiring contracts and draft picks. Pray you get a good lotto bounce and rebuild around Cousins your draft pick. In FA you pick up some solid vets to help mentor the youth and fill specialty roles.

Play it out for a year and ship out the guys who don't fit or if on a 2 year deal let them play it out and trade as an expiring.
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
crowd goes wild
Junior
And1: 11

Post#13 » by crowd goes wild » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:16 am

All I know is they better keep IT. His jersey is the first thing i'm copping
AI
RealGM
And1: 280

Post#14 » by AI » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:42 am

I'd keep Cousins as the franchise player. I'd also keep Isiaiah Thomas just for the fact that he's a Seattle native and would be a fan favorite, and he's not a bad player either.

Everyone else should be traded.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#15 » by dangermouse » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:15 am

Mk0 wrote:Hire Kemp as head of custodians. He has like 9 kids to feed.

The situation isnt that dire. One of them has a pretty good job already with the Pacers.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
WhamBamSlamm
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#16 » by WhamBamSlamm » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:20 am

Keep dmc, trob. Draft Michael carter-williams. Won't keep tyreke Evans, just let someone sign him without matching.

Tank for wiggins
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,925

Post#17 » by Optms » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:50 am

They'll coincidentally be rewarded the first pick next year so if new management has any brains, they'll dump everyone and start fresh with whoever they pick. Can't have Cousins continuing to poison the environment.
NYawKa11
Junior
And1: 83

Post#18 » by NYawKa11 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:15 pm

My first move would be to clean out the glut in the backcourt...Jimmer, Evans, IT, Brooks, Thornton, etc. The next step would be to find a real PG to lead this team.
Gilles
Rookie
And1: 70

Post#19 » by Gilles » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:20 pm

First move would be to get a good coach. We simply don't know what these players are capable of because of years of incompetent coaching. Coaching advice would also be needed to solve huge misfitting of the roster problem.

P.S. I don't know who would argue that Cousins is a headcase, and a massive one at that. But what Evans ever did other than being too humble by always agreeing to come off the bench when he comes back from injuries and not killing all the midgets that take the ball away from him in great offensive schemes devised by coach not-so-Smart.
ReturnofMVP3
RealGM
And1: 11,580

Post#20 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:46 am

I think DMC should go, he is a headcase and his FG % is horrible
Donald Trump is an idiot.

Return to The General Board