Race to MVP IV

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,326

Re: Race to MVP IV 

Post#121 » by MaliBrah » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:12 am

lol stop this lebron has this locked up as long as he keeps this up and keeps the heat record above okc
TheKiteDesigner
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#122 » by TheKiteDesigner » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:16 am

Funny thing about Parker outplaying CP3 today and a bunch of people jumping on his wagon is, CP3 has outplayed Parker on 2 out of their 3 meetings this season.
There's no way Parker has the same impact on both ends of the floor like LeBron or even Durant. I'll go even as far as saying that Duncan is more valuable to the Spurs than Parker.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,155

Post#123 » by Edrees » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:21 am

Lebron deserves it but if the spurs end up 5 games ahead of the heat I think you have to give it to Parker. I've seen players with larger stat differences than lebron and tony parker win the mvp because they were 5 games ahead of the 2nd seed in the nba. That's just how the MVP award has been awarded historically in the past couple of decades
UDRIH14
General Manager
And1: 662

Post#124 » by UDRIH14 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:34 am

i dont get the knock on parker cant win mvp when his doing the same crap nash did for his 2nd mvp, even derrick rose won a mvp for a weak year of candidates, this year is no different when there is only 2-3 players who can win the award...

cp3 is out the running when he took 12 games off, thats just too many games to missed

durant isnt even a lock for runners up, let alone winning the award when he hasnt done anything that stands out improving from last season...

parker has backed up last seasons run was no fluke carrying it over this season even playing 3-4 weeks without the SF rotation players out injured the same time, yet still manage to carry the spurs....yes duncan is a huge part also to the spurs success, but his production is just the same in seasons past, nothing dramatic increased besides his defensive stats, but his presence on the court alone is a difference changer and making things easy for the perimeter players, but most of the offensive loading is carried by parker...

the only knock on parker is defense and playin in a small market team will not get him alot of PR for the award
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,355

Post#125 » by D.Brasco » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:34 am

Edrees wrote:Lebron deserves it but if the spurs end up 5 games ahead of the heat I think you have to give it to Parker. I've seen players with larger stat differences than lebron and tony parker win the mvp because they were 5 games ahead of the 2nd seed in the nba. That's just how the MVP award has been awarded historically in the past couple of decades

When? I can't think of any? Hell the differences in stats between lebron and rose in 2011 look almost minuscule now compared to lebron and parker right now.

Parker is putting up 21/3/7 those aren't MVP number by far, i remember people saying rose had the weakest numbers for an MVP ever and he put up 25/4/7.

Parker is great but this fanned up MVP talk by a very few is just gonna bring a backlash to him. I'll also bet you a dollar that some of these pro-parker poster's you'll see here are the same posters who argued that kobe should have won MVP in 2006.
UDRIH14
General Manager
And1: 662

Post#126 » by UDRIH14 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:52 am

D.Brasco wrote:
Parker is putting up 21/3/7 those aren't MVP number by far, i remember people saying rose had the weakest numbers for an MVP ever and he put up 25/4/7.

how about posting the efficiency numbers?...if u say those stats are weak, then how come u didnt mention nash 2nd mvp
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,355

Post#127 » by D.Brasco » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:58 am

For Nash

A) 18/3/11 are better stats then what parker is putting up now especially for a pg and Nash's efficiency was even better than parkers.

B) I mentioned earlier how parker plays in a great system but was not the system, well nash was the system for the suns that year and then some. Nash's importance to that suns team can't even be comapred to parker's for the spurs. Especially that was the year where amare was mostly out injured.
Langdon Alger
Senior
And1: 100

Post#128 » by Langdon Alger » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:19 am

UDRIH14 wrote:i dont get the knock on parker cant win mvp when his doing the same crap nash did for his 2nd mvp, even derrick rose won a mvp for a weak year of candidates, this year is no different when there is only 2-3 players who can win the award...

----------------------------------------------------

How is this a weak year of candidates? When two of those guys are putting up historical numbers with tangible impact. If anything this is a very strong year for candidates, and someone with amazing numbers is gonna lose.

Heck I've already seen posts like this: (from Feb. 10)

"Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA
Everyone should have their "did Kevin Durant have the best non-MVP season in history" column ready for June. LeBron. Holy cow."
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,804

Post#129 » by jc23 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:54 am

I agree that lebron is the mvp. But can we all agree if you took the best player away from every team that the heat would still be the most talented? well not everyone will agree with that, but i do.
Be curious, Not judgmental
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#130 » by therealbig3 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:02 am

jc23 wrote:I agree that lebron is the mvp. But can we all agree if you took the best player away from every team that the heat would still be the most talented? well not everyone will agree with that, but i do.

Wade is not nearly the same player he once was right now. I mean, he's still really good, still a top 2-3 SG in the league...but he's not 09-11 Wade anymore, that's for sure. Bosh is very good. After that, they have a bunch of streaky shooters. They'd still be a playoff team, but I think their defense revolves heavily around LeBron, because they're so undersized. They need LeBron's versatility to be able to play PF and grab rebounds and help defensively. Wade can replicate that a little bit, but he can't play PF and defend/box out opposing big men, especially since he's not in peak form anymore.

IDK, I think Miami's supporting cast gets overrated, Wade and Bosh and a bunch of shooters and a severely undersized front court at this point in their careers isn't that amazing of a team. I think SA without Parker would still be dangerous as hell. They'd be my pick for "best team without their best player".
Langdon Alger
Senior
And1: 100

Post#131 » by Langdon Alger » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:11 am

jc23 wrote:I agree that lebron is the mvp. But can we all agree if you took the best player away from every team that the heat would still be the most talented? well not everyone will agree with that, but i do.

I'm not a big fan of this line of thinking. However for arguments sake, if you removed the best player from every team I would vote for the Spurs as the best team. Again, I find this type of comparison too simplistic. Heck Indiana could make a case (if you consider Granger their best player).
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,804

Post#132 » by jc23 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:18 am

^^^i dont consider granger their best player. And i think san antonio just has a great system and a great coach (similar to the situation in Chicago). Not to say they are a bunch of scrubs minus Parker because they are not. They are a talented bunch. I just think miami has more talent then any team in the NBA.

lebron is the mvp regardless though, he would be putting up big numbers even if he was on the kings. I just think his supporting cast is very very good, but gets overlooked.
Be curious, Not judgmental
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,838

Post#133 » by Joao Saraiva » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:50 am

At 1st it was Melo. Then Durant. Then CP3. Now Tony Parker...

Just stop and accept it. LeBron is the MVP.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
Sony17
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#134 » by Sony17 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:56 am

Joao Saraiva wrote:At 1st it was Melo. Then Durant. Then CP3. Now Tony Parker...

Just stop and accept it. LeBron is the MVP.

It's been like this for awhile. Do people forget that this dude could potentially of had 5 straight MVP's :o . In 09 and 10 he beat out a god level wade and Dwight and to an extent even Kobe. In 2011 he lost he MVP due to new team, some chemistry issues and everyone hating him, rose winning because of narrative also. In 2012 he won it convincingly over Durant and cp3. And now he will win it in a season where another guy is having one of the greatest scoring season of all time. It's not like he is winning mvp's in easy years also. All these season there have been formidable guys in the race.
rza
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#135 » by rza » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:06 pm

LeBron to lose now no doubt.
osamu
Starter
And1: 249

Post#136 » by osamu » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:26 pm

PurpleRooster wrote:95-99.9% of why Rose won the MVP was off narrative, and team record.

no just narrative
GreenHat
Assistant Coach
And1: 340

Post#137 » by GreenHat » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:50 pm

jc23 wrote:^^^i dont consider granger their best player. And i think san antonio just has a great system and a great coach (similar to the situation in Chicago). Not to say they are a bunch of scrubs minus Parker because they are not. They are a talented bunch. I just think miami has more talent then any team in the NBA.

lebron is the mvp regardless though, he would be putting up big numbers even if he was on the kings. I just think his supporting cast is very very good, but gets overlooked.

Except if you take more than a superficial look at the names on the top of the roster it isn't that good.

Lebron has to lead his team in rebounding because the rebounding on the teams sucks. Lebron is the best defender for stopping almost every single opposing player from fast pgs to bruising big men. He also has to run the offense because the Heat have one of the worst pg rotations (Chalmers and Norris Cole)

The supporting cast does very little to support him in the way that most great supporting casts have supported their star perimeter player (defense and rebounding). It's also extremely shallow. Only two of those players would get playing time on good teams.
Your emotions fuel the narratives that you create. You see what you want to see. You believe what you want to believe. You ascribe meaning when it is not there. You create significance when it is not present.
This IsMy House
General Manager
And1: 190

Post#138 » by This IsMy House » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:52 pm

Its crazy to me with the numbers, consistency both of offense and defense that people think hes not the MVP. Just last night alone if you watched the game when Chicago got out on the break his presence running behind them was enough to slow the break down. Especially now that he has his jump shot falling, hes becoming completely unstoppable.
I Stand With The []_[]!
lorak
Head Coach
And1: 2,231

Post#139 » by lorak » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:47 pm

^
Yeh, LeBron himself stopped at least 3 Bulls fastbreaks. Amazing defensive impact. I think he's underrated as defender.
This IsMy House
General Manager
And1: 190

Post#140 » by This IsMy House » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:56 pm

DavidStern wrote:^
Yeh, LeBron himself stopped at least 3 Bulls fastbreaks. Amazing defensive impact. I think he's underrated as defender.

His help defense is great, people are always looking out for him.
I Stand With The []_[]!

Return to The General Board