Better Athletes NFL or NBA players?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#41 » by BubbaTee » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:58 pm

blackhawk2076 wrote:NBA players have a better chance of making the NFL than NFL players making the NBA,,,,A GATES, MARCUS POLLARD,JOEY GRAHAM, Tony Gonzalez.

Charlie Ward didn't look athletic on the basketball court but yet dominated the QB POSITION IN COLLEGE. Which makes me believe Allen Iverson would've been a great college QB

That's a terrible argument, you're confusing skill at one sport vs skill at another sport with athleticism.

Michael Jordan was a terrible baseball player but he dominated in basketball. By your logic, that would mean baseball requires more athleticism than basketball.

Everyone is better at one sport than another. Even Bo Jackson - he was a good baseball player but a HOF-caliber football player. It's not because he somehow became more athletic on the football field, he was just better at one than the other.
blackhawk2076
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#42 » by blackhawk2076 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:02 pm

I gotta say though that a lot of NFL players were good high school basketball players in high school. Which could suggest that they are really good basketball players that happen to play football. You don't see a Ray Lewis type body dominating basketball. It's usually the Wr,QB,DB,DE who do well in both sports.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#43 » by hype_2004 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:03 pm

BubbaTee wrote:
blackhawk2076 wrote:NBA players have a better chance of making the NFL than NFL players making the NBA,,,,A GATES, MARCUS POLLARD,JOEY GRAHAM, Tony Gonzalez.

Charlie Ward didn't look athletic on the basketball court but yet dominated the QB POSITION IN COLLEGE. Which makes me believe Allen Iverson would've been a great college QB

That's a terrible argument, you're confusing skill at one sport vs skill at another sport with athleticism.

Michael Jordan was a terrible baseball player but he dominated in basketball. By your logic, that would mean baseball requires more athleticism than basketball.

Everyone is better at one sport than another. Even Bo Jackson - he was a good baseball player but a HOF-caliber football player. It's not because he somehow became more athletic on the football field, he was just better at one than the other.

That is because to suceed in the NFl you have to be the biggest, strongest and fastest of them all, in MLB or the NBA skill takes precedent over linear athleticism. Dumasses here are confusing skill with athleticism :noway:
inDe_eD
Bench Warmer
And1: 869

Post#44 » by inDe_eD » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:07 pm

schaffy wrote:
inDe_eD wrote:
Again, the argument is so subjective (different tests, different skills etc), that I think the only way to really determine which sport has the better athletes is to look at the money. NBA players are just paid better, period.
Calvin Johnson, who could go down as one the best WRs of all time, in the highest paid era of NFL players, so far, just got his 8 year $150 million contract. That's only $19 mil/season, and he's one of the highest paid players ever. Borderline All-Stars like Joe Johnson and Carlos Boozer can get 6 year, $120 million dollar contracts. If you (athletes) have a choice between the two sports, you go with the NBA.

With that in mind, I think it's safe to assume that the NBA and not the NFL, has its choice of the top Athletes.

This thread has had some really bad arguments in it, but this one right here just blows all the other ones away. We determine how good of an athlete you are based on how much you are paid? Really?! Kevin Love will make more money next year than Adrian Peterson. Are you really ready to call Love a better athlete than Peterson?

:lol:

Money talks bro. Let me make it simpler for you.

99.9999% of people are motivated by money. Athletes are people. Therefore 99.9999% Athletes are motivated by money.

The NBA pays more than the NFL, therefore Athletes are going to be more attracted to the NBA.
“Let's say TPE is a big hole, Ryan Anderson is a "power plug Dick" ($21 million a year). All you have to do is use the Dick to plug in. Great trade and great deal! This is called "perfect fit" in the nba.”
BubbaTee
Head Coach

Post#45 » by BubbaTee » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:09 pm

schaffy wrote:
inDe_eD wrote:
Again, the argument is so subjective (different tests, different skills etc), that I think the only way to really determine which sport has the better athletes is to look at the money. NBA players are just paid better, period.
Calvin Johnson, who could go down as one the best WRs of all time, in the highest paid era of NFL players, so far, just got his 8 year $150 million contract. That's only $19 mil/season, and he's one of the highest paid players ever. Borderline All-Stars like Joe Johnson and Carlos Boozer can get 6 year, $120 million dollar contracts. If you (athletes) have a choice between the two sports, you go with the NBA.

With that in mind, I think it's safe to assume that the NBA and not the NFL, has its choice of the top Athletes.

This thread has had some really bad arguments in it, but this one right here just blows all the other ones away. We determine how good of an athlete you are based on how much you are paid? Really?! Kevin Love will make more money next year than Adrian Peterson. Are you really ready to call Love a better athlete than Peterson?

LMAO, that would make Prince Fielder a better athlete than Lebron.

And some Formula One driver would be a better athlete than anyone in the NFL or NBA, even though he doesn't sprint a single meter or jump a single inch in his sport.
inDe_eD
Bench Warmer

Post#46 » by inDe_eD » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:12 pm

BubbaTee wrote:
schaffy wrote:
inDe_eD wrote:

LMAO, that would make Prince Fielder a better athlete than Lebron.

And some Formula One driver would be a better athlete than anyone in the NFL or NBA, even though he doesn't sprint a single meter or jump a single inch in his sport.

Very bad Red Herring. Both sports of Baseball and Formula One are not Athletically driven (MJ was a double AA baseball player at the peak of his athleticism). Basketball and Football take athleticism to succeed.
“Let's say TPE is a big hole, Ryan Anderson is a "power plug Dick" ($21 million a year). All you have to do is use the Dick to plug in. Great trade and great deal! This is called "perfect fit" in the nba.”
BubbaTee
Head Coach

Post#47 » by BubbaTee » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:14 pm

inDe_eD wrote:
schaffy wrote:
inDe_eD wrote:

:lol:

99.9999% of people are motivated by money. Athletes are people. Therefore 99.9999% Athletes are motivated by money.

The NBA pays more than the NFL, therefore Athletes are going to be more attracted to the NBA.

Not sure if trolling...

If you're serious, then :lol: :lol: :lol: did you take Logic 101 at an insane asylum or something?

Your logic -> 60% of people are Asian. NBA players are people. Therefore 60% of NBA players are Asian.
Respect My Mind
Pro Prospect
And1: 16

Post#48 » by Respect My Mind » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:15 pm

Zubby wrote:
Respect My Mind wrote:Those are weight-room verts. NFL guys do squats and toe lifts with heavy ass weights so they can get those 40 inch verticals. Not real athleticism just training. Guys like Deandre Jordan could dunk when they were in the 6th grade.

No comparison.

wtf is "real" athleticism, this is a whole new level of stupidity.

Real athleticism is when you dont have to spend 6 hours a day in the weight room. Guys like Bo Jackson didn't even lift weight and the were strong and fast.

There were guys on my AAU team who could do 360's in the 7th grade. They weren't super tall (6'3) and ate gummy bears for breakfast/lunch/dinner. That's real athleticism.
blackhawk2076
Sophomore

Post#49 » by blackhawk2076 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:15 pm

BubbaTee wrote:

That's because MJ couldn't hit a breaking ball to save his life.That's different than athleticism. But once he got on the base pads he proved he could steal bases with ease even being at 6'6 (6'4 MASS).LOL
Beardman
Veteran
And1: 181

Post#50 » by Beardman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:19 pm

Well the NFL is full of a whole bunch of Bledsoe's and Will Bynum type athletes. While in the NBA the average athlete is comparable to George Hill...
inDe_eD
Bench Warmer

Post#51 » by inDe_eD » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:21 pm

hype_2004 wrote:
inDe_eD wrote:
Yes but again, it's the very elite players (top 10%) who fall into these categories. I can take the top 10% of NBA athletes and get the exact same results. Please tell me that there is any guy in the NFL that is stronger than Pekovic, Lebron or Dwight Howard? How about guys faster than Eric Bledsoe, Tony Parker, Derrick Rose, and Russell Westbrook?

Let's not get into this :roll: , ok I'll post the of linear numbers, Trindon Holliday 10.00 flat 100 meters, 6.54 60 meters NCAA sprint champion, 2008 Olympic aletrnate 4 x 100 meter relay, Jacoby Ford 10.01 100 meters, 6.51 60 meters NCAA champion Olympic qualifier, Marquise Goodwin USA track Long Jump champion, 2012 Olympic participant 10th place, Robert Grifith 3 HS hurdles Champion, Jamaal Charles 10.18 100 meters HS hurdles champion, Ted Ginn fastest 110 meter hurdler in HS has beat Aries Merritt(Olympic Champion toyed with John Wall on the track :lol: ) and Jason Richardson, Jerome Simpson NCAA long Jump finalist and School high jump record holder, Casey Hampton and Haloti Ngata 600 lb bench pressers and 800 lbs squats, Stephen Paea 49 reps 225lbs NFL record and many more....pk I'll just post this link for everyone to see the staggering athleticism of past and present NFL athletes.
http://tracksuperfan.com/track-and-foot ... time-lists
In the NBA you need to be tall, skillful and athletic to make the dollars in the NFL everything is about power and athleticism no matter how short or tall you are. Ok this has to be a troll post or you're just extremely delusional into thinking Pekovic/Howard could beat Casey Hampton in a powerlifting contest or Rose/westbrook and other fast guards could beat and even sniff wolrd class sprinters Jacoby Ford/Trindon Holliday/Jeff demps in an all out sprint 50 or 100 meters, just name it I'll bet my life savings they get blown out of the water, the only one that could probably come close is Nate Robinson but even he is stretch and would need to train to even sniff these guys jockstraps.

I will admit this: it is very hard to find strength speed metrics for NBA players.
Zubby
General Manager
And1: 835

Post#52 » by Zubby » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:21 pm

inDe_eD wrote::lol:

really bro

99.9999%...

Where did you come up with that number? Thats like 7000 people in the world who dont see money as a top priority.,.
hype_2004
RealGM

Post#53 » by hype_2004 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:23 pm

Respect My Mind wrote:
Zubby wrote:
Respect My Mind wrote:Those are weight-room verts. NFL guys do squats and toe lifts with heavy ass weights so they can get those 40 inch verticals. Not real athleticism just training. Guys like Deandre Jordan could dunk when they were in the 6th grade.

No comparison.

Real athleticism is when you dont have to spend 6 hours a day in the weight room. Guys like Bo Jackson didn't even lift weight and the were strong and fast.

There were guys on my AAU team who could do 360's in the 7th grade. They weren't super tall (6'3) and ate gummy bears for breakfast/lunch/dinner. That's real athleticism.

Doing a 360 dunk requires excellent body control and fluidity, it's the jumping part that is a measured aspect of linear athleticism. Sorry but Bo was a workout warrior, he lifted and trained 365 days a year.
inDe_eD
Bench Warmer

Post#54 » by inDe_eD » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:25 pm

BubbaTee wrote:

Not sure if trolling...

If you're serious, then :lol: :lol: :lol: did you take Logic 101 at an insane asylum or something?

Your logic -> 60% of people are Asian. NBA players are people. Therefore 60% of NBA players are Asian.

Sorry, pearls before swine.

If you disagree with my premise of 99% of Athletes being motivated by money, that's fine. I was just trying to make the complete argument for you. I'm sure everyone pretty much everyone else on the board finds it a very reasonable premise.
hype_2004
RealGM

Post#55 » by hype_2004 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:26 pm

inDe_eD wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
inDe_eD wrote:
Yes but again, it's the very elite players (top 10%) who fall into these categories. I can take the top 10% of NBA athletes and get the exact same results. Please tell me that there is any guy in the NFL that is stronger than Pekovic, Lebron or Dwight Howard? How about guys faster than Eric Bledsoe, Tony Parker, Derrick Rose, and Russell Westbrook?

Let's not get into this :roll: , ok I'll post the of linear numbers, Trindon Holliday 10.00 flat 100 meters, 6.54 60 meters NCAA sprint champion, 2008 Olympic aletrnate 4 x 100 meter relay, Jacoby Ford 10.01 100 meters, 6.51 60 meters NCAA champion Olympic qualifier, Marquise Goodwin USA track Long Jump champion, 2012 Olympic participant 10th place, Robert Grifith 3 HS hurdles Champion, Jamaal Charles 10.18 100 meters HS hurdles champion, Ted Ginn fastest 110 meter hurdler in HS has beat Aries Merritt(Olympic Champion toyed with John Wall on the track :lol: ) and Jason Richardson, Jerome Simpson NCAA long Jump finalist and School high jump record holder, Casey Hampton and Haloti Ngata 600 lb bench pressers and 800 lbs squats, Stephen Paea 49 reps 225lbs NFL record and many more....pk I'll just post this link for everyone to see the staggering athleticism of past and present NFL athletes.
http://tracksuperfan.com/track-and-foot ... time-lists
In the NBA you need to be tall, skillful and athletic to make the dollars in the NFL everything is about power and athleticism no matter how short or tall you are. Ok this has to be a troll post or you're just extremely delusional into thinking Pekovic/Howard could beat Casey Hampton in a powerlifting contest or Rose/westbrook and other fast guards could beat and even sniff wolrd class sprinters Jacoby Ford/Trindon Holliday/Jeff demps in an all out sprint 50 or 100 meters, just name it I'll bet my life savings they get blown out of the water, the only one that could probably come close is Nate Robinson but even he is stretch and would need to train to even sniff these guys jockstraps.

I will admit this: it is very hard to find strength speed metrics for NBA players.

Case closed.
blackhawk2076
Sophomore

Post#56 » by blackhawk2076 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:29 pm

GAME TIME wrote:NBA players.

You have to have sick cardio to be in the NBA. NFL players wouldn't be able to hang with NBA players on the court, they would gas to quickly.

The training is different. NFL and NBA target specific muscle groups to train for their craft, but I think it would be more of a burden to be in NBA type shape, because all they do is run and run and run.
I remember when T.O. played in the celebrity all star game a few years back. After 2 minutes he was winded, He said playing football is different than running down the court. And this was a game played with no defense. Just imagine having to play defense for 36 minutes.
Zubby
General Manager
And1: 835

Post#57 » by Zubby » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:46 pm

Respect My Mind wrote:
Zubby wrote:

No comparison.

I wouldn't expect 7th graders/12 year olds to be lifting weights either...
There is no such thing as fake/real athleticism if some one can do it its real, idk wtf you keep talking about real athleticism, everyone needs strength training... not just pros and all the best need weight training to achieve greatness.

If there is fake athleticism then you might as well say they had a fake body, getting all those vitamins/nutrients here in the USA helped them grow to that size... if they were born in some 3rd world village they dont get all that.

Tell me did these monster 12 year olds you play with, didn't they started lifting in HS/college?
inDe_eD
Bench Warmer

Post#58 » by inDe_eD » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:50 pm

Zubby wrote:

really bro

99.9999%...

Where did you come up with that number? Thats like 7000 people in the world who dont see money as a top priority.,.

Ok what do you want to say then? 98%? 97%? It's an absolute minimal amount of guys who play for love of the game in either sport.
Respect My Mind
Pro Prospect
And1: 16

Post#59 » by Respect My Mind » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:59 pm

hype_2004 wrote:
Doing a 360 dunk requires excellent body control and fluidity, it's the jumping part that is a measured aspect of linear athleticism. Sorry but Bo was a workout warrior, he lifted and trained 365 days a year.

Sorry no, it is a known fact Bo Jackson did not lift weights. It takes a unique muscle group to have good body control. That is NATURAL athleticism. As someone said earlier just running up and down a basketball court is harder than anything done in foot ball.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#60 » by spearsy23 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:03 pm

If endurance is included then nba players edge out football. If not, skill position football players by a good amount
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.

Return to The General Board