Better Athletes NFL or NBA players?

Moderators: jamaalstar21, infinite11285, BombsquadSammy, ken6199, Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk, zimpy27, KingDavid

hype_2004
General Manager
Posts: 9,978
And1: 2,929
Joined: May 28, 2004
Location: T.O

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#441 » by hype_2004 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:19 am

Braggins wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
Braggins wrote:I didnt say they dont have world class athletes, just that their combine measurements can be misleading and arent a good thing to base the argument on.

Obviously, someone who specializes in running in a straight line over a specific distance is going to beat people at that measurement that dont specialize in it and someone winning a foot race doesnt automatically make him the superior athlete. Its more complicated than that. Ted Ginn very well may be faster than Westbrook, but hes also 5'11 and weighs 185 pounds. Westbrook certainly has some advantages in other athletic areas.

You cant just pick and choose the top specialists in certain areas and use them to say that NFL players are better overall athletes. You can probably find a random 5'10 corner is faster than any NBA player but doesnt have the strength, size or coordination to play in the NBA or even other football positions. There have been guys like Allen Iverson at that size in the NBA who were just as quick/fast/explosive, if not more, than any NFL corner. You can also surely find a 6'4 265 pound linebacker who is way stronger than any 6'4 NBA player, but isnt nearly as quick or agile as top NBA athletes of that height. Its really difficult to compare the two sports honestly. I tend to prefer the top NBA athletes because they seem to be more well rounded and their often absurd height just makes them seem more impressive. Some of the giant athletic freaks in the NBA don't even seem like they could possibly be the same species as the rest of us. They are much rarer than the athletic freaks of the NFL. That might not be the fairest way to ultimately decide, but idk. I can't help but be much more impressed by a Lebron James or Wilt Chamberlain type than anything I've ever seen in the NFL.


So your more impressed by TALL guys who move fast than short guys who are absolutely world class in terms of athletic talents? fair enough but that doesn't mean these tall dudes they are more ATHLETIC :lol: frankly I don't give a rats ass if they guys is 7 feet or 5 feet when it comes to pure athleticism.

I was specifically referring to guys that have world class athleticism and are also giant. I'm not saying I think Marcin Gortat is a more impressive athlete than Calvin Johnson, but I absolutely find Lebron, Wilt, and other giant athletic freaks to be more impressive than anyone I've ever seen in the NFL. What is more rare, a 6'4 guy with elite athleticism or a 7'1 guy with elite athleticism? Do NFL fans not consider Calvin Johnson to be one of the most impressive athletes because he has elite speed and leaping ability and is also 3-6 inches taller than other guys with comparable ability? Don't act like even NFL fans don't use size as part of their criteria for what makes an athlete special. You just don't want to use that criteria now since we are comparing your preferred athletes to people from another sport who have a very clear advantage in that regard. I'm sorry, but use your brain before acting like I'm the one making a silly point.


The argument if who has the better pure athletes NFL or the NBA and not who has the more impressive TALL athletes, that is what your trying to imply and argue, likewise whether someon is 7 feet or 5 feet is not a concern of mine if the 5 foot guy beat the 7 foot guy on every athletic testing does that make the 7 foot guy more athletic because he seems more impressive? :crazy:
hype_2004
General Manager
Posts: 9,978
And1: 2,929
Joined: May 28, 2004
Location: T.O

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#442 » by hype_2004 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:21 am

Mr. E wrote:
qm22 wrote:
Mr. E wrote:I like this idea so much! It could be a lot of fun and a great ratings draw!


What competition tho? 100 M? :D Swimming? 8-)
It's hard to choose one that isn't biased towards specialities of another. Hence, swimming & archery may as well be in it too :)


Shot put.
Discus
Javelin
Hammer Throw
Long Jump
High Jump
Triple Jump
100M
200M
400M
1600M
Any "M" with Hurdles
Marathon
Pole Vault

The traditional Athletics events. I think that you could get some fun stuff out of all of that with the elite athletes in the NBA, NFL, MLB, ETC.


The NFL would absolutely demolish all other pro-sports in these events, and it would be an embarassment of epic proportions. The NFl has world class -athletes ate every position who are/were former junior/collegiate record holders in track/weightlifting/powerlifting events. Marquise Goodwin just won a pan-am silver in the LJ this past summer and will qialify for Rio next year, I dont even want to mention the many former track athletes in every NFL roster/IR/Practice squad, ABSOLUTELY NO CONTEST WHATSOEVER.
Braggins
RealGM
Posts: 11,369
And1: 6,166
Joined: Jan 05, 2014
 

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#443 » by Braggins » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:24 am

hype_2004 wrote:
Braggins wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
So your more impressed by TALL guys who move fast than short guys who are absolutely world class in terms of athletic talents? fair enough but that doesn't mean these tall dudes they are more ATHLETIC :lol: frankly I don't give a rats ass if they guys is 7 feet or 5 feet when it comes to pure athleticism.

I was specifically referring to guys that have world class athleticism and are also giant. I'm not saying I think Marcin Gortat is a more impressive athlete than Calvin Johnson, but I absolutely find Lebron, Wilt, and other giant athletic freaks to be more impressive than anyone I've ever seen in the NFL. What is more rare, a 6'4 guy with elite athleticism or a 7'1 guy with elite athleticism? Do NFL fans not consider Calvin Johnson to be one of the most impressive athletes because he has elite speed and leaping ability and is also 3-6 inches taller than other guys with comparable ability? Don't act like even NFL fans don't use size as part of their criteria for what makes an athlete special. You just don't want to use that criteria now since we are comparing your preferred athletes to people from another sport who have a very clear advantage in that regard. I'm sorry, but use your brain before acting like I'm the one making a silly point.


The argument if who has the better pure athletes NFL or the NBA and not who has the more impressive TALL athletes, that is what your trying to imply and argue, likewise whether someon is 7 feet or 5 feet is not a concern of mine if the 5 foot guy beat the 7 foot guy on every athletic testing does that make the 7 foot guy more athletic because he seems more impressive? :crazy:

So, if you were choosing between two equally skilled players for your football team and one guy was 5'5 and had slightly better athletic measurements you would prefer him over the other guy even if he was 6'5 but had slightly worse athletic measurements? Come on, you are talking out of your ass and you also seem to completely miss the part where I said that might not be the fairest way to judge things but its hard to compare NFL and NBA players, and that the giant nature of some of the top NBA athletes is simply what is more impressive to me... You still can't deny that the top athletes in the NBA are much more rare specimens than the top NFL athletes. Athleticism simply refers to physical prowess, and size is absolutely a factor.

Look at it this way, there are tons of guys out there who are faster than the fastest NFL players, stronger than the strongest, higher jumpers than their best leapers, etc. NFL players aren't even the best in the world in the areas they focus on. Usain Bolt is honestly more impressive by NFL standards of athleticism than any NFL player. However, there might not be a single person in the world with Lebron James combination of overall physical gifts.
hype_2004
General Manager
Posts: 9,978
And1: 2,929
Joined: May 28, 2004
Location: T.O

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#444 » by hype_2004 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:34 am

Braggins wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
Braggins wrote:I was specifically referring to guys that have world class athleticism and are also giant. I'm not saying I think Marcin Gortat is a more impressive athlete than Calvin Johnson, but I absolutely find Lebron, Wilt, and other giant athletic freaks to be more impressive than anyone I've ever seen in the NFL. What is more rare, a 6'4 guy with elite athleticism or a 7'1 guy with elite athleticism? Do NFL fans not consider Calvin Johnson to be one of the most impressive athletes because he has elite speed and leaping ability and is also 3-6 inches taller than other guys with comparable ability? Don't act like even NFL fans don't use size as part of their criteria for what makes an athlete special. You just don't want to use that criteria now since we are comparing your preferred athletes to people from another sport who have a very clear advantage in that regard. I'm sorry, but use your brain before acting like I'm the one making a silly point.


The argument if who has the better pure athletes NFL or the NBA and not who has the more impressive TALL athletes, that is what your trying to imply and argue, likewise whether someone is 7 feet or 5 feet is not a concern of mine if the 5 foot guy beat the 7 foot guy on every athletic testing does that make the 7 foot guy more athletic because he seems more impressive? :crazy:

So, if you were choosing between two equally skilled players for your football team and one guy was 5'5 and had slightly better athletic measurements you would prefer him over the other guy even if he was 6'5 but had slightly worse athletic measurements? Come on, you are talking out of your ass and you also seem to completely miss the part where I said that might not be the fairest way to judge things but its hard to compare NFL and NBA players, and that the giant nature of some of the top NBA athletes is simply what is more impressive to me... You still can't deny that the top athletes in the NBA are much more rare specimens than the top NFL athletes. Athleticism simply refers to physical prowess, and size is absolutely a factor.


Doesnt matter if they are more rare/impressive the argument remains which league has the BETTER ATHLETES, and yes I would absolutely pick the shorter guy to be on my football team if he were to return punt and run out of the backfield LOWER CENTER OF GRAVITY ever heard of that? absolutely improtant quality to have in football or any contact sport for that matter.
Braggins
RealGM
Posts: 11,369
And1: 6,166
Joined: Jan 05, 2014
 

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#445 » by Braggins » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:38 am

hype_2004 wrote:
Braggins wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
The argument if who has the better pure athletes NFL or the NBA and not who has the more impressive TALL athletes, that is what your trying to imply and argue, likewise whether someone is 7 feet or 5 feet is not a concern of mine if the 5 foot guy beat the 7 foot guy on every athletic testing does that make the 7 foot guy more athletic because he seems more impressive? :crazy:

So, if you were choosing between two equally skilled players for your football team and one guy was 5'5 and had slightly better athletic measurements you would prefer him over the other guy even if he was 6'5 but had slightly worse athletic measurements? Come on, you are talking out of your ass and you also seem to completely miss the part where I said that might not be the fairest way to judge things but its hard to compare NFL and NBA players, and that the giant nature of some of the top NBA athletes is simply what is more impressive to me... You still can't deny that the top athletes in the NBA are much more rare specimens than the top NFL athletes. Athleticism simply refers to physical prowess, and size is absolutely a factor.


Doesnt matter if they are more rare/impressive the argument remains which league has the BETTER ATHLETES, and yes I would absolutely pick the shorter guy to be on my football team if he were to return punt and run out of the backfield LOWER CENTER OF GRAVITY ever heard of that? absolutely improtant quality to have in football or any contact sport for that matter.

So you would pick an elite kick returner over a Calvin Johnson type player for your NFL team... I really don't believe you.

Athleticism isn't just strength, speed, and jumping ability. It is physical prowess. Size and coordination and many other things that factor in to a persons ability to utilize their body for physical feats are also part of athleticism. You are narrowing the argument to just a few workout tests that are measured at the NFL combine.
User avatar
oldschooled
Veteran
Posts: 2,604
And1: 2,401
Joined: Nov 17, 2012
 

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#446 » by oldschooled » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:39 am

I could easily see Lebron or Westbrook dominating in the NFL. Not all NFL players can play in the NBA but most of the NBA players can play in the NFL.
Frank Dux wrote:
LeChosen One wrote:Doc is right. The Warriors shouldn't get any respect unless they repeat to be honest.


According to your logic, Tim Duncan doesn't deserve any respect.
hype_2004
General Manager
Posts: 9,978
And1: 2,929
Joined: May 28, 2004
Location: T.O

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#447 » by hype_2004 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:39 am

Braggins wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
Braggins wrote:I was specifically referring to guys that have world class athleticism and are also giant. I'm not saying I think Marcin Gortat is a more impressive athlete than Calvin Johnson, but I absolutely find Lebron, Wilt, and other giant athletic freaks to be more impressive than anyone I've ever seen in the NFL. What is more rare, a 6'4 guy with elite athleticism or a 7'1 guy with elite athleticism? Do NFL fans not consider Calvin Johnson to be one of the most impressive athletes because he has elite speed and leaping ability and is also 3-6 inches taller than other guys with comparable ability? Don't act like even NFL fans don't use size as part of their criteria for what makes an athlete special. You just don't want to use that criteria now since we are comparing your preferred athletes to people from another sport who have a very clear advantage in that regard. I'm sorry, but use your brain before acting like I'm the one making a silly point.


The argument if who has the better pure athletes NFL or the NBA and not who has the more impressive TALL athletes, that is what your trying to imply and argue, likewise whether someon is 7 feet or 5 feet is not a concern of mine if the 5 foot guy beat the 7 foot guy on every athletic testing does that make the 7 foot guy more athletic because he seems more impressive? :crazy:

So, if you were choosing between two equally skilled players for your football team and one guy was 5'5 and had slightly better athletic measurements you would prefer him over the other guy even if he was 6'5 but had slightly worse athletic measurements? Come on, you are talking out of your ass and you also seem to completely miss the part where I said that might not be the fairest way to judge things but its hard to compare NFL and NBA players, and that the giant nature of some of the top NBA athletes is simply what is more impressive to me... You still can't deny that the top athletes in the NBA are much more rare specimens than the top NFL athletes. Athleticism simply refers to physical prowess, and size is absolutely a factor.

Look at it this way, there are tons of guys out there who are faster than the fastest NFL players, stronger than the strongest, higher jumpers than their best leapers, etc. NFL players aren't even the best in the world in the areas they focus on. Usain Bolt is honestly more impressive by NFL standards of athleticism than any NFL player. However, there might not be a single person in the world with Lebron James combination of overall physical gifts.


Yes there are superior athletes out there than NFL players and they happen to participate in TRACK AND FIELD,/POWERLIFTING and OLYMPIC WEIGHTLIFTING, i rest my case, good night you just ended your argument right there :lol:
Braggins
RealGM
Posts: 11,369
And1: 6,166
Joined: Jan 05, 2014
 

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#448 » by Braggins » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:46 am

hype_2004 wrote:
Braggins wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
The argument if who has the better pure athletes NFL or the NBA and not who has the more impressive TALL athletes, that is what your trying to imply and argue, likewise whether someon is 7 feet or 5 feet is not a concern of mine if the 5 foot guy beat the 7 foot guy on every athletic testing does that make the 7 foot guy more athletic because he seems more impressive? :crazy:

So, if you were choosing between two equally skilled players for your football team and one guy was 5'5 and had slightly better athletic measurements you would prefer him over the other guy even if he was 6'5 but had slightly worse athletic measurements? Come on, you are talking out of your ass and you also seem to completely miss the part where I said that might not be the fairest way to judge things but its hard to compare NFL and NBA players, and that the giant nature of some of the top NBA athletes is simply what is more impressive to me... You still can't deny that the top athletes in the NBA are much more rare specimens than the top NFL athletes. Athleticism simply refers to physical prowess, and size is absolutely a factor.

Look at it this way, there are tons of guys out there who are faster than the fastest NFL players, stronger than the strongest, higher jumpers than their best leapers, etc. NFL players aren't even the best in the world in the areas they focus on. Usain Bolt is honestly more impressive by NFL standards of athleticism than any NFL player. However, there might not be a single person in the world with Lebron James combination of overall physical gifts.


Yes there are superior athletes out there than NFL players and they happen to participate in TRACK AND FIELD,/POWERLIFTING and OLYMPIC WEIGHTLIFTING, i rest my case, good night you just ended your argument right there :lol:

Someone being better than someone in one athletic measurement doesn't make them a superior athlete. Guys that are faster than the fastest NFL players aren't automatically better athletes. Same for guys that are stronger than the strongest NFL players. They are just better in that specific athletic measurement... I used Usain Bolt as an example because not only is he the fastest person alive (maybe not anymore? i don't follow track) but he is also like 6'5 and has a very strong physique, so he is probably superior to NFL athletes by the very narrow criteria that you are trying to judge them by. Who knows, he might actually have terrible coordination and body control and couldn't actually translate the impressive physical gifts he does have to any sport other than running in a straight line over a short distance.
hype_2004
General Manager
Posts: 9,978
And1: 2,929
Joined: May 28, 2004
Location: T.O

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#449 » by hype_2004 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:09 am

Mr. E wrote:
qm22 wrote:
Mr. E wrote:I like this idea so much! It could be a lot of fun and a great ratings draw!


What competition tho? 100 M? :D Swimming? 8-)
It's hard to choose one that isn't biased towards specialities of another. Hence, swimming & archery may as well be in it too :)


Shot put.
Discus
Javelin
Hammer Throw
Long Jump
High Jump
Triple Jump
100M
200M
400M
1600M
Any "M" with Hurdles
Marathon
Pole Vault

The traditional Athletics events. I think that you could get some fun stuff out of all of that with the elite athletes in the NBA, NFL, MLB, ETC.


they had a superstars competition back then https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstars The NFL players and track athletes dominated and are overrepresented, where were the basketball players? :lol:
qm22
General Manager
Posts: 8,317
And1: 1,901
Joined: Dec 29, 2009

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#450 » by qm22 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:52 am

hype_2004 wrote:
Mr. E wrote:
qm22 wrote:
What competition tho? 100 M? :D Swimming? 8-)
It's hard to choose one that isn't biased towards specialities of another. Hence, swimming & archery may as well be in it too :)


Shot put.
Discus
Javelin
Hammer Throw
Long Jump
High Jump
Triple Jump
100M
200M
400M
1600M
Any "M" with Hurdles
Marathon
Pole Vault

The traditional Athletics events. I think that you could get some fun stuff out of all of that with the elite athletes in the NBA, NFL, MLB, ETC.


they had a superstars competition back then https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstars The NFL players and track athletes dominated and are overrepresented, where were the basketball players? :lol:


u trolling? look at that list. how many NBA/"good" NBA players entered that obscure competition. I guess NBA players also lose to Alpine Skiers.
JMac1
Suns Forum Training Specialist
Posts: 10,032
And1: 4,004
Joined: May 23, 2009

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#451 » by JMac1 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:54 am

oldscho0led wrote:I could easily see Lebron or Westbrook dominating in the NFL. Not all NFL players can play in the NBA but most of the NBA players can play in the NFL.


You forgot they tackle in the NFL?! I'd take Lebron, maybe Westbrook at wideout, but not many more. Just as you need NBA skill to play WELL, you need NFL skills....
User avatar
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,291
And1: 6,503
Joined: Apr 15, 2006
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!
       

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#452 » by Mr. E » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:16 am

qm22 wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
Mr. E wrote:
Shot put.
Discus
Javelin
Hammer Throw
Long Jump
High Jump
Triple Jump
100M
200M
400M
1600M
Any "M" with Hurdles
Marathon
Pole Vault

The traditional Athletics events. I think that you could get some fun stuff out of all of that with the elite athletes in the NBA, NFL, MLB, ETC.


they had a superstars competition back then https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstars The NFL players and track athletes dominated and are overrepresented, where were the basketball players? :lol:


u trolling? look at that list. how many NBA/"good" NBA players entered that obscure competition. I guess NBA players also lose to Alpine Skiers.


"I" am not trolling. "I" listed tradtional Athletics events. If "You" do understand what is going on then it is not "my" fault.

Don't be lazy - spell out the word "You." It's only two more keystrokes.

But if you are so lazy that you cannot be bothered to spell out "you," then I guess I cannot expect you to understand that I was pointing out Athletics. The fact that you came back with Alpine Skiers....well...
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
qm22
General Manager
Posts: 8,317
And1: 1,901
Joined: Dec 29, 2009

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#453 » by qm22 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:26 am

Mr. E wrote:
qm22 wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
they had a superstars competition back then https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstars The NFL players and track athletes dominated and are overrepresented, where were the basketball players? :lol:


u trolling? look at that list. how many NBA/"good" NBA players entered that obscure competition. I guess NBA players also lose to Alpine Skiers.


"I" am not trolling. "I" listed tradtional Athletics events. If "You" do understand what is going on then it is not "my" fault.

Don't be lazy - spell out the word "You." It's only two more keystrokes.

But if you are so lazy that you cannot be bothered to spell out "you," then I guess I cannot expect you to understand that I was pointing out Athletics. The fact that you came back with Alpine Skiers....well...


:roll: u know there was a quotation in between your embedded quotation and my response, essentially effectuating my assumption that u'd not be led to conceive im referring to u. i do not, truly, comprehend ur quotation marks around "You", viz., in your above material, 'If "You" (sic) ...". Please u explain.
User avatar
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
Posts: 6,670
And1: 2,429
Joined: Jun 22, 2013
       

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#454 » by Takingbaconback » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:32 am

Braggins wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
Braggins wrote:I didnt say they dont have world class athletes, just that their combine measurements can be misleading and arent a good thing to base the argument on.

Obviously, someone who specializes in running in a straight line over a specific distance is going to beat people at that measurement that dont specialize in it and someone winning a foot race doesnt automatically make him the superior athlete. Its more complicated than that. Ted Ginn very well may be faster than Westbrook, but hes also 5'11 and weighs 185 pounds. Westbrook certainly has some advantages in other athletic areas.

You cant just pick and choose the top specialists in certain areas and use them to say that NFL players are better overall athletes. You can probably find a random 5'10 corner is faster than any NBA player but doesnt have the strength, size or coordination to play in the NBA or even other football positions. There have been guys like Allen Iverson at that size in the NBA who were just as quick/fast/explosive, if not more, than any NFL corner. You can also surely find a 6'4 265 pound linebacker who is way stronger than any 6'4 NBA player, but isnt nearly as quick or agile as top NBA athletes of that height. Its really difficult to compare the two sports honestly. I tend to prefer the top NBA athletes because they seem to be more well rounded and their often absurd height just makes them seem more impressive. Some of the giant athletic freaks in the NBA don't even seem like they could possibly be the same species as the rest of us. They are much rarer than the athletic freaks of the NFL. That might not be the fairest way to ultimately decide, but idk. I can't help but be much more impressed by a Lebron James or Wilt Chamberlain type than anything I've ever seen in the NFL.


So your more impressed by TALL guys who move fast than short guys who are absolutely world class in terms of athletic talents? fair enough but that doesn't mean these tall dudes they are more ATHLETIC :lol: frankly I don't give a rats ass if they guys is 7 feet or 5 feet when it comes to pure athleticism.

I was specifically referring to guys that have world class athleticism and are also giant. I'm not saying I think Marcin Gortat is a more impressive athlete than Calvin Johnson, but I absolutely find Lebron, Wilt, and other giant athletic freaks to be more impressive than anyone I've ever seen in the NFL. What is more rare, a 6'4 guy with elite athleticism or a 7'1 guy with elite athleticism? Do NFL fans not consider Calvin Johnson to be one of the most impressive athletes because he has elite speed and leaping ability and is also 3-6 inches taller than other guys with comparable ability? If he was 5'11 hed be just another fast guy instead of OMG MERGATRON OMG BEST ATHLETE EVA!! Fact of the matter is that Lebron is just as fast, can jump as high, and is probably more explosive, and hes 3'4 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier. He is clearly the more impressive athlete. Don't act like even NFL fans don't use size as part of their criteria for what makes an athlete special. You just don't want to use that criteria now since we are comparing your preferred athletes to people from another sport who have a very clear advantage in that regard. I'm sorry, but use your brain before acting like I'm the one making a silly point.


Have you ever seen a guy named Bo Jackson or JJ Watt? You think LeBron can keep his balance, breaking through multiple 300 pounders, using brick hands to pursue the QB every single play?
Braggins
RealGM
Posts: 11,369
And1: 6,166
Joined: Jan 05, 2014
 

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#455 » by Braggins » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:34 am

JMac1 wrote:
oldscho0led wrote:I could easily see Lebron or Westbrook dominating in the NFL. Not all NFL players can play in the NBA but most of the NBA players can play in the NFL.


You forgot they tackle in the NFL?! I'd take Lebron, maybe Westbrook at wideout, but not many more. Just as you need NBA skill to play WELL, you need NFL skills....

I actually think a lot of perimeter players in the NBA could potentially be good receivers or tight ends. There are plenty of possession receivers in the NFL that are smaller (6'3 - 6'5) and less athletic than the better athletes at the wing positions in the NBA. Some of the bigger SF's and faster PF's could potentially make great tight ends or defensive ends (imagine Serg Ibaka on the line rushing the QB if he bulked up some). Some of the smaller, athletic guards could make good CB's, FS/SS, or possibly even RBs in a few cases. I think the absolutely elite NBA athletes that aren't super tall lanky dudes could potentially be amazing the NFL. They would obviously need to change their training regimen and add some strength to adjust, but the physical gifts are absolutely there.
Jkam31
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,624
And1: 3,430
Joined: Feb 23, 2014

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#456 » by Jkam31 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:38 am

I wonder about some people. Lebron speed and quickness compared to Megatron is insulting to the fullest might as well compare Wall speed to usain bolt. Lebrons said to have ran a 4.5 40 in HS which means 4.6 really in his prime is give him 4.45 and that's at his best with speed training. Do you have any clue how big a difference 4.35 is to a sub 4.5 40? And it is completely false when you say if Calvn was 3 inches shorter he'd be just another fast guy. NO a 4.35 40 laser to go with his vert, broad jump and agility times still make him top notch more explosive and faster than desean Jackson. And Calvin weight 239lb at the combine



Braggins wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
Braggins wrote:I didnt say they dont have world class athletes, just that their combine measurements can be misleading and arent a good thing to base the argument on.

Obviously, someone who specializes in running in a straight line over a specific distance is going to beat people at that measurement that dont specialize in it and someone winning a foot race doesnt automatically make him the superior athlete. Its more complicated than that. Ted Ginn very well may be faster than Westbrook, but hes also 5'11 and weighs 185 pounds. Westbrook certainly has some advantages in other athletic areas.

You cant just pick and choose the top specialists in certain areas and use them to say that NFL players are better overall athletes. You can probably find a random 5'10 corner is faster than any NBA player but doesnt have the strength, size or coordination to play in the NBA or even other football positions. There have been guys like Allen Iverson at that size in the NBA who were just as quick/fast/explosive, if not more, than any NFL corner. You can also surely find a 6'4 265 pound linebacker who is way stronger than any 6'4 NBA player, but isnt nearly as quick or agile as top NBA athletes of that height. Its really difficult to compare the two sports honestly. I tend to prefer the top NBA athletes because they seem to be more well rounded and their often absurd height just makes them seem more impressive. Some of the giant athletic freaks in the NBA don't even seem like they could possibly be the same species as the rest of us. They are much rarer than the athletic freaks of the NFL. That might not be the fairest way to ultimately decide, but idk. I can't help but be much more impressed by a Lebron James or Wilt Chamberlain type than anything I've ever seen in the NFL.


So your more impressed by TALL guys who move fast than short guys who are absolutely world class in terms of athletic talents? fair enough but that doesn't mean these tall dudes they are more ATHLETIC :lol: frankly I don't give a rats ass if they guys is 7 feet or 5 feet when it comes to pure athleticism.

I was specifically referring to guys that have world class athleticism and are also giant. I'm not saying I think Marcin Gortat is a more impressive athlete than Calvin Johnson, but I absolutely find Lebron, Wilt, and other giant athletic freaks to be more impressive than anyone I've ever seen in the NFL. What is more rare, a 6'4 guy with elite athleticism or a 7'1 guy with elite athleticism? Do NFL fans not consider Calvin Johnson to be one of the most impressive athletes because he has elite speed and leaping ability and is also 3-6 inches taller than other guys with comparable ability? If he was 5'11 hed be just another fast guy instead of OMG MERGATRON OMG BEST ATHLETE EVA!! Fact of the matter is that Lebron is just as fast, can jump as high, and is probably more explosive, and hes 3'4 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier. He is clearly the more impressive athlete. Don't act like even NFL fans don't use size as part of their criteria for what makes an athlete special. You just don't want to use that criteria now since we are comparing your preferred athletes to people from another sport who have a very clear advantage in that regard. I'm sorry, but use your brain before acting like I'm the one making a silly point.




Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
User avatar
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
Posts: 6,670
And1: 2,429
Joined: Jun 22, 2013
       

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#457 » by Takingbaconback » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:39 am

Braggins wrote:
JMac1 wrote:
oldscho0led wrote:I could easily see Lebron or Westbrook dominating in the NFL. Not all NFL players can play in the NBA but most of the NBA players can play in the NFL.


You forgot they tackle in the NFL?! I'd take Lebron, maybe Westbrook at wideout, but not many more. Just as you need NBA skill to play WELL, you need NFL skills....

I actually think a lot of perimeter players in the NBA could potentially be good receivers or tight ends. There are plenty of possession receivers in the NFL that are smaller (6'3 - 6'5) and less athletic than the better athletes at the wing positions in the NBA. Some of the bigger SF's and faster PF's could potentially make great tight ends or defensive ends (imagine Serg Ibaka on the line rushing the QB if he bulked up some). Some of the smaller, athletic guards could make good CB's, FS/SS, or possibly even RBs in a few cases. I think the absolutely elite NBA athletes that aren't super tall lanky dudes could potentially be amazing the NFL. They would obviously need to change their training regimen and add some strength to adjust, but the physical gifts are absolutely there.


The reason that more NBA players can play in the NFL rather than NFL to NBA is not because of athleticism. It is because basketball is a sport centered around ball skills. You always take the basketball to the park to practice, you have it in your hands every practice. In football, most of it is without the ball whether you are running a route, blocking a guy, etc. Most positions dont require a ball to practice and it is centered around basic skills like running, jumping, pushing, pulling etc.

Of course it would be easier for NBA player to go to NFL just because a NFL player never gets to touch a basketball in their practices. Imagine if you play football growing up as a kid, working on that craft enough to get to college then pros. How would you have enough skills to play basketball unless you are inherently gifted to a god mode level? You gotta have experience touching the basketball first and foremost, it's unfair to say NFL players are less athletic than NBA players cuz they don't get to touch a basketball.
Braggins
RealGM
Posts: 11,369
And1: 6,166
Joined: Jan 05, 2014
 

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#458 » by Braggins » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:42 am

Takingbaconback wrote:
Braggins wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
So your more impressed by TALL guys who move fast than short guys who are absolutely world class in terms of athletic talents? fair enough but that doesn't mean these tall dudes they are more ATHLETIC :lol: frankly I don't give a rats ass if they guys is 7 feet or 5 feet when it comes to pure athleticism.

I was specifically referring to guys that have world class athleticism and are also giant. I'm not saying I think Marcin Gortat is a more impressive athlete than Calvin Johnson, but I absolutely find Lebron, Wilt, and other giant athletic freaks to be more impressive than anyone I've ever seen in the NFL. What is more rare, a 6'4 guy with elite athleticism or a 7'1 guy with elite athleticism? Do NFL fans not consider Calvin Johnson to be one of the most impressive athletes because he has elite speed and leaping ability and is also 3-6 inches taller than other guys with comparable ability? If he was 5'11 hed be just another fast guy instead of OMG MERGATRON OMG BEST ATHLETE EVA!! Fact of the matter is that Lebron is just as fast, can jump as high, and is probably more explosive, and hes 3'4 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier. He is clearly the more impressive athlete. Don't act like even NFL fans don't use size as part of their criteria for what makes an athlete special. You just don't want to use that criteria now since we are comparing your preferred athletes to people from another sport who have a very clear advantage in that regard. I'm sorry, but use your brain before acting like I'm the one making a silly point.


Have you ever seen a guy named Bo Jackson?

Yeah, he was without a doubt an absolute freak athlete, but there have been athletes of that relative physical size with similar speed and strength. Name one person that has ever existed whose overall physical attributes compares to Wilt Chamberlain in his early to mid 20's.
User avatar
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
Posts: 6,670
And1: 2,429
Joined: Jun 22, 2013
       

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#459 » by Takingbaconback » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:44 am

Braggins wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:
Braggins wrote:I was specifically referring to guys that have world class athleticism and are also giant. I'm not saying I think Marcin Gortat is a more impressive athlete than Calvin Johnson, but I absolutely find Lebron, Wilt, and other giant athletic freaks to be more impressive than anyone I've ever seen in the NFL. What is more rare, a 6'4 guy with elite athleticism or a 7'1 guy with elite athleticism? Do NFL fans not consider Calvin Johnson to be one of the most impressive athletes because he has elite speed and leaping ability and is also 3-6 inches taller than other guys with comparable ability? If he was 5'11 hed be just another fast guy instead of OMG MERGATRON OMG BEST ATHLETE EVA!! Fact of the matter is that Lebron is just as fast, can jump as high, and is probably more explosive, and hes 3'4 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier. He is clearly the more impressive athlete. Don't act like even NFL fans don't use size as part of their criteria for what makes an athlete special. You just don't want to use that criteria now since we are comparing your preferred athletes to people from another sport who have a very clear advantage in that regard. I'm sorry, but use your brain before acting like I'm the one making a silly point.


Have you ever seen a guy named Bo Jackson?

Yeah, he was without a doubt an absolute freak athlete, but there have been athletes of that relative physical size with similar speed and strength. Name one person that has ever existed who compares to Wilt Chamberlain physically.


We aren't talking about physically, this is athletically. He can be outrun, he would look stupid trying to keep balance against 300lbs push him around. He would be immediately injured cuz he has relatively no sense of balance and gravity against NFL players.

Just because your tall doesn't mean your athletic in my book, in fact those guys are less athletic imo cuz their centers of gravity are way too high.
hype_2004
General Manager
Posts: 9,978
And1: 2,929
Joined: May 28, 2004
Location: T.O

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#460 » by hype_2004 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:54 am

Takingbaconback wrote:
Braggins wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:
Have you ever seen a guy named Bo Jackson?

Yeah, he was without a doubt an absolute freak athlete, but there have been athletes of that relative physical size with similar speed and strength. Name one person that has ever existed who compares to Wilt Chamberlain physically.


We aren't talking about physically, this is athletically. He can be outrun, he would look stupid trying to keep balance against 300lbs push him around. He would be immediately injured cuz he has relatively no sense of balance and gravity against NFL players.

Just because your tall doesn't mean your athletic in my book, in fact those guys are less athletic imo cuz their centers of gravity are way too high.


The guy just doesnt get it, he equates being tall and athletic as being more impressive/rare, who give a flying crap if Wilt/Shaq or lebron are a rare physical specimens that's not the issue being discussed here :banghead: fact of the matter remains they would get blown out of the water in every athletic testing/competition not related to basketball activities by even the marginal NFL player.

Return to The General Board