Better Athletes NFL or NBA players?

Moderators: jamaalstar21, infinite11285, BombsquadSammy, ken6199, Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk, zimpy27, KingDavid

hype_2004
General Manager
Posts: 9,978
And1: 2,929
Joined: May 28, 2004
Location: T.O

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#461 » by hype_2004 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:57 am

Oh finally i have a question for the Braggins dude, is there anyone in the NBA with the same athletic class that can match Marquise Goodwin? answer that :lol:
Braggins
RealGM
Posts: 11,369
And1: 6,166
Joined: Jan 05, 2014
 

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#462 » by Braggins » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:59 am

Takingbaconback wrote:
Braggins wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:
Have you ever seen a guy named Bo Jackson?

Yeah, he was without a doubt an absolute freak athlete, but there have been athletes of that relative physical size with similar speed and strength. Name one person that has ever existed who compares to Wilt Chamberlain physically.


We aren't talking about physically, this is athletically. He can be outrun, he would look stupid trying to keep balance against 300lbs push him around. He would be immediately injured cuz he has relatively no sense of balance and gravity against NFL players.

Just because your tall doesn't mean your athletic in my book, in fact those guys are less athletic imo cuz their centers of gravity are way too high.

Athleticism is raw physical attributes as they pertain to the application of sports. Are size and length not physical attributes that are relevant and often advantageous in athletic events (and definitely in the specific sports we are comparing)? Is Calvin Johnson not a better receiver and one of the best athletes in the NFL because he is 6'5 (much taller than most people he matches up against) with extreme speed, agility, leaping ability, and overall explosion for a player of that size? Do you consider NFL players who are 5 inches shorter than him but equal in the other attributes to be equally good athletic specimens?

Wilt Chamberlain was 7'1 barefoot and ran a 4.6 40 yard dash in a workout for the Kansas City Chiefs while weighing 290 pounds.
hype_2004
General Manager
Posts: 9,978
And1: 2,929
Joined: May 28, 2004
Location: T.O

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#463 » by hype_2004 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:08 am

Braggins wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:
Braggins wrote:Yeah, he was without a doubt an absolute freak athlete, but there have been athletes of that relative physical size with similar speed and strength. Name one person that has ever existed who compares to Wilt Chamberlain physically.


We aren't talking about physically, this is athletically. He can be outrun, he would look stupid trying to keep balance against 300lbs push him around. He would be immediately injured cuz he has relatively no sense of balance and gravity against NFL players.

Just because your tall doesn't mean your athletic in my book, in fact those guys are less athletic imo cuz their centers of gravity are way too high.

Athleticism is raw physical attributes as they pertain to the application of sports. Are size and length not physical attributes that are relevant and often advantageous in athletic events (and definitely in the specific sports we are comparing)? Is Calvin Johnson not a better receiver and one of the best athletes in the NFL because he is 6'5 (much taller than most people he matches up against) with extreme speed, agility, leaping ability, and overall explosion for a player of that size? Do you consider NFL players who are 5 inches shorter than him but equal in the other attributes to be equally good athletic specimens?

Wilt Chamberlain was 7'1 barefoot and ran a 4.6 40 yard dash in a workout for the Kansas City Chiefs while weighing 290 pounds.


The guys who are 5 inches shorter would probably be better suited for the RB/CB position and yes they are equally athletic, the other guy just happens to be taller and is better suited to be a wide receiver, just like Jamaal Charles/Chris Johnson are a shade under 6 feet low center of gravity is an absolute essential element in American football esp at the RB position, what is your point again :dontknow: you sitll haven't answeedr my question regarding Marquise Goodwin.......
User avatar
Flopper
Starter
Posts: 2,371
And1: 2,276
Joined: Jun 05, 2010
 

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#464 » by Flopper » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:18 am

I think people forget just how big NBA players actually are. Here's Demaryius Thomas, who's considered a big receiver, in full pads standing next to Jimmy Butler who's probably right around average size for an NBA wing:

Image

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that a lot of big, athletic wings could've been dominant receivers in the NFL had they devoted their time to it.
Braggins
RealGM
Posts: 11,369
And1: 6,166
Joined: Jan 05, 2014
 

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#465 » by Braggins » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:27 am

hype_2004 wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:
Braggins wrote:Yeah, he was without a doubt an absolute freak athlete, but there have been athletes of that relative physical size with similar speed and strength. Name one person that has ever existed who compares to Wilt Chamberlain physically.


We aren't talking about physically, this is athletically. He can be outrun, he would look stupid trying to keep balance against 300lbs push him around. He would be immediately injured cuz he has relatively no sense of balance and gravity against NFL players.

Just because your tall doesn't mean your athletic in my book, in fact those guys are less athletic imo cuz their centers of gravity are way too high.


The guy just doesnt get it, he equates being tall and athletic as being more impressive/rare, who give a flying crap if Wilt/Shaq or lebron are a rare physical specimens that's not the issue being discussed here :banghead: fact of the matter remains they would get blown out of the water in every athletic testing/competition not related to basketball activities by even the marginal NFL player.

Wilt was 7'1 barefoot and ran a 4.6 40 while when he weighed 290 pounds. He was a track and field star in high school and college and competed in multiple events. Look up some info on him. He also has some pretty amazing confirmed weight-lifting numbers.

Lebron ran a 4.5 40 in high school and his vertical is over 40 inches (I can't remember the exact figure off the top of my head).

You can act like I don't get your points, but you are the one being willfully ignorant. Do you really deny that someone who is 6'8, 260 pounds of solid muscle who could run a 4.5 40 yard dash (what Lebron ran when he was like 17) and has a vertical jump of over 40 inches is the superior athlete to someone with the same the speed, agility, jumping, and explosions, but who is 8 inches shorter and 60 pounds lighter...? Size just isn't a factor and the 6'0 200 pound guys is just as generally well suited to athletic endeavors as the 6'8 260 guy (specifically football and basketball in this comparison)...?
Braggins
RealGM
Posts: 11,369
And1: 6,166
Joined: Jan 05, 2014
 

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#466 » by Braggins » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:33 am

hype_2004 wrote:
Braggins wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:
We aren't talking about physically, this is athletically. He can be outrun, he would look stupid trying to keep balance against 300lbs push him around. He would be immediately injured cuz he has relatively no sense of balance and gravity against NFL players.

Just because your tall doesn't mean your athletic in my book, in fact those guys are less athletic imo cuz their centers of gravity are way too high.

Athleticism is raw physical attributes as they pertain to the application of sports. Are size and length not physical attributes that are relevant and often advantageous in athletic events (and definitely in the specific sports we are comparing)? Is Calvin Johnson not a better receiver and one of the best athletes in the NFL because he is 6'5 (much taller than most people he matches up against) with extreme speed, agility, leaping ability, and overall explosion for a player of that size? Do you consider NFL players who are 5 inches shorter than him but equal in the other attributes to be equally good athletic specimens?

Wilt Chamberlain was 7'1 barefoot and ran a 4.6 40 yard dash in a workout for the Kansas City Chiefs while weighing 290 pounds.


The guys who are 5 inches shorter would probably be better suited for the RB/CB position and yes they are equally athletic, the other guy just happens to be taller and is better suited to be a wide receiver, just like Jamaal Charles/Chris Johnson are a shade under 6 feet low center of gravity is an absolute essential element in American football esp at the RB position, what is your point again :dontknow: you sitll haven't answeedr my question regarding Marquise Goodwin.......

So, if hypothetically a 22 version of Lebron James and a clone of 22 year old Lebron James who was 8 inches shorter and 60 pounds lighter entered the NFL draft, which one is going to be the more coveted prospect if they were completely equal in learned football skills? Would the guy with really good but not absolutely elite athletic measurements for a 6'0 200 pound guy be equally as highly regarded as the guy who had the same agility, speed, jumping, and explosion, and measurements in those areas, but who was 8 inches taller and 60 pounds heavier, making him also as big and strong as a tight end or defensive end...?

You know that NFL players athleticism is judged by their physical attributes and size is certainly a factor in how you view them as athletes. Just because there are a few very specific examples of being shorter being an advantage in specific examples in football doesn't mean that it completely negates the size factor when you compare NFL players to NBA players. Is your best argument that Lebron's size wouldn't be an athletic advantage for him if he played in the NFL because size isn't an advantage for a position that he wouldn't even be playing?
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
Posts: 15,941
And1: 5,459
Joined: Jun 25, 2009
Location: the Arizona desert

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#467 » by DirtyDez » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:37 am

The correct answer is Novak Djokovich.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
hype_2004
General Manager
Posts: 9,978
And1: 2,929
Joined: May 28, 2004
Location: T.O

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#468 » by hype_2004 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:45 am

Braggins wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
Braggins wrote:Athleticism is raw physical attributes as they pertain to the application of sports. Are size and length not physical attributes that are relevant and often advantageous in athletic events (and definitely in the specific sports we are comparing)? Is Calvin Johnson not a better receiver and one of the best athletes in the NFL because he is 6'5 (much taller than most people he matches up against) with extreme speed, agility, leaping ability, and overall explosion for a player of that size? Do you consider NFL players who are 5 inches shorter than him but equal in the other attributes to be equally good athletic specimens?

Wilt Chamberlain was 7'1 barefoot and ran a 4.6 40 yard dash in a workout for the Kansas City Chiefs while weighing 290 pounds.


The guys who are 5 inches shorter would probably be better suited for the RB/CB position and yes they are equally athletic, the other guy just happens to be taller and is better suited to be a wide receiver, just like Jamaal Charles/Chris Johnson are a shade under 6 feet low center of gravity is an absolute essential element in American football esp at the RB position, what is your point again :dontknow: you sitll haven't answeedr my question regarding Marquise Goodwin.......

So, if hypothetically a 22 version of Lebron James and a clone of 22 year old Lebron James who was 8 inches shorter and 60 pounds lighter entered the NFL draft, which one is going to be the more coveted prospect if they were completely equal in learned football skills? Would the guy with really good but not absolutely elite athletic measurements for a 6'0 200 pound guy be equally as highly regarded as the guy who had the same agility, speed, jumping, and explosion, and measurements in those areas, but who was 8 inches taller and 60 pounds heavier, making him also as big and strong as a tight end or defensive end...?


But aside from football skills are both version of Lebron equal athletically? That is the discussion and the issue here, not whether someone is more impressive/rare/coveted because they just happened to be taller than the other guy, your deviating from issue again you haven't answered my question regarding Marquise Goodwin who I believe is just as rare an athlete as the Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson of this world...waiting for your response
Braggins
RealGM
Posts: 11,369
And1: 6,166
Joined: Jan 05, 2014
 

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#469 » by Braggins » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:54 am

hype_2004 wrote:
Braggins wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
The guys who are 5 inches shorter would probably be better suited for the RB/CB position and yes they are equally athletic, the other guy just happens to be taller and is better suited to be a wide receiver, just like Jamaal Charles/Chris Johnson are a shade under 6 feet low center of gravity is an absolute essential element in American football esp at the RB position, what is your point again :dontknow: you sitll haven't answeedr my question regarding Marquise Goodwin.......

So, if hypothetically a 22 version of Lebron James and a clone of 22 year old Lebron James who was 8 inches shorter and 60 pounds lighter entered the NFL draft, which one is going to be the more coveted prospect if they were completely equal in learned football skills? Would the guy with really good but not absolutely elite athletic measurements for a 6'0 200 pound guy be equally as highly regarded as the guy who had the same agility, speed, jumping, and explosion, and measurements in those areas, but who was 8 inches taller and 60 pounds heavier, making him also as big and strong as a tight end or defensive end...?


But aside from football skills are both version of Lebron equal athletically? That is the discussion and the issue here, not whether someone is more impressive/rare/coveted because they just happened to be taller than the other guy, your deviating from issue again you haven't answered my question regarding Marquise Goodwin who I believe is just as rare an athlete as the Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson of this world...waiting for your response

The bigger version of Lebron is obviously a better athlete. His size is a physical attribute just the same as his speed and it is going to be advantageous (or at the worst neutral) for him in just about any sport that heavily emphasizes all the other physical attributes he excels in.

I don't know or care who Marquise Goodwin and I don't even remember what your question about him was.
RRyder823
Head Coach
Posts: 6,624
And1: 2,808
Joined: May 06, 2014
   

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#470 » by RRyder823 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:18 am

Are the people arguing that Basketball players,( yes even Lebron,) could look just as athletic on a football field thinking they would still look just as athletic or even comparably so in pads? Tons of guys look like athletic freaks in shorts then look slow in pads and others look horrible in their combine drills but when the pads come on they have a fluidity about them.

Seriously though this is one of the most pointless discussions ever. Different sports. Different skillsets
hype_2004
General Manager
Posts: 9,978
And1: 2,929
Joined: May 28, 2004
Location: T.O

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#471 » by hype_2004 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:48 am

Braggins wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
Braggins wrote:So, if hypothetically a 22 version of Lebron James and a clone of 22 year old Lebron James who was 8 inches shorter and 60 pounds lighter entered the NFL draft, which one is going to be the more coveted prospect if they were completely equal in learned football skills? Would the guy with really good but not absolutely elite athletic measurements for a 6'0 200 pound guy be equally as highly regarded as the guy who had the same agility, speed, jumping, and explosion, and measurements in those areas, but who was 8 inches taller and 60 pounds heavier, making him also as big and strong as a tight end or defensive end...?


But aside from football skills are both version of Lebron equal athletically? That is the discussion and the issue here, not whether someone is more impressive/rare/coveted because they just happened to be taller than the other guy, your deviating from issue again you haven't answered my question regarding Marquise Goodwin who I believe is just as rare an athlete as the Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson of this world...waiting for your response

The bigger version of Lebron is obviously a better athlete. His size is a physical attribute just the same as his speed and it is going to be advantageous (or at the worst neutral) for him in just about any sport that heavily emphasizes all the other physical attributes he excels in.

I don't know or care who Marquise Goodwin and I don't even remember what your question about him was.


Marquise Goodwin is a starting KR/WR for the Buffalo Bills, former world junior record holder in the Long Jump, 2012 Olympian, 2015 Pan-Am games silver medallist, and the only legit 2 sport star in Pro-Sports. His accomplishment is unprecedented and was highlighted all over sportscenter, PTI, etc don't play dumb with me saying you don't care or know, when the discussion is about which league has the better athlete... :nonono:
Braggins
RealGM
Posts: 11,369
And1: 6,166
Joined: Jan 05, 2014
 

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#472 » by Braggins » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:09 am

hype_2004 wrote:
Braggins wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
But aside from football skills are both version of Lebron equal athletically? That is the discussion and the issue here, not whether someone is more impressive/rare/coveted because they just happened to be taller than the other guy, your deviating from issue again you haven't answered my question regarding Marquise Goodwin who I believe is just as rare an athlete as the Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson of this world...waiting for your response

The bigger version of Lebron is obviously a better athlete. His size is a physical attribute just the same as his speed and it is going to be advantageous (or at the worst neutral) for him in just about any sport that heavily emphasizes all the other physical attributes he excels in.

I don't know or care who Marquise Goodwin and I don't even remember what your question about him was.


Marquise Goodwin is a starting KR/WR for the Buffalo Bills, former world junior record holder in the Long Jump, 2012 Olympian, 2015 Pan-Am games silver medallist, and the only legit 2 sport star in Pro-Sports. His accomplishment is unprecedented and was highlighted all over sportscenter, PTI, etc don't play dumb with me saying you don't care or know, when the discussion is about which league has the better athlete... :nonono:

I really had no idea who he was, but he sounds like a beast. I haven't followed football for a few years. I can't say for sure without knowing more about him but I don't know if I'd say that he sounds like hes necessarily a better athlete than Bo Jackson just because he can jump further.

Again, I can't really say which sport has the better athletes because its too difficult to directly compare them. I think the best NBA athletes and the best NFL athletes look fairly similar. Some of the top NFL guys of a specific category are probably a little better in that one area than the best NBA comparison, but the top NBA guys seem more well rounded and probably also have better cardio. In general the NBA guys seem more fluid to me, but the NFL guys are generally a bit more explosive. I think the best athlete in either league is Lebron by a decent margin, for whatever thats worth. I find it hard to believe Lebron wouldn't have been at least a good NFL receiver, tight end, or possibly even defensive end, and I'm honestly not convinced that he couldn't potentially be the most dominant offensive player that isn't a QB.
User avatar
76ers 2020
Senior
Posts: 628
And1: 341
Joined: Jul 25, 2014
 

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#473 » by 76ers 2020 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:26 am

RRyder823 wrote:
Seriously though this is one of the most pointless discussions ever. Different sports. Different skillsets


Yeah in the NFL you see similar height and weight at certain positions for a reason. Has to do with the speed a player can turn his hips. It is the reason teams use smaller corners. Trying to just plug in a big NBA player based on 40 time doesn't make any sense.
D.Brasco
General Manager
Posts: 7,842
And1: 5,819
Joined: Nov 17, 2006

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#474 » by D.Brasco » Yesterday 7:30 pm

Who would be the Zion Williamson equivalent in the NFL and is his combination of size and movement atypical for even an NFL player?

I think Zion when factoring in height and build is probably the most NFL type athlete in the league probably more so than LeBron as his height is not typical for an NFL player but there are quite a few 6'5-6'7" NFL stars.
User avatar
Galloisdaman
Analyst
Posts: 3,249
And1: 1,825
Joined: Mar 17, 2011

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#475 » by Galloisdaman » Yesterday 7:50 pm

I still can't believe Refrigerator Perry could dunk a basketball at 6 foot 2 and 330-350 pounds. That was insane.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
User avatar
azcatz11
General Manager
Posts: 8,612
And1: 10,537
Joined: Apr 13, 2017
Location: Phoenix

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#476 » by azcatz11 » Yesterday 7:53 pm

D.Brasco wrote:Who would be the Zion Williamson equivalent in the NFL and is his combination of size and movement atypical for even an NFL player?

I think Zion when factoring in height and build is probably the most NFL type athlete in the league probably more so than LeBron as his height is not typical for an NFL player but there are quite a few 6'5-6'7" NFL stars.


Really? I don’t think he would be a good nfl player. He doesn’t seem like he’s all that fast in a straight line or nearly quick enough to play TE. He’d be a beast in the red zone though but that’s about it
D.Brasco
General Manager
Posts: 7,842
And1: 5,819
Joined: Nov 17, 2006

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#477 » by D.Brasco » Yesterday 8:13 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:I still can't believe Refrigerator Perry could dunk a basketball at 6 foot 2 and 330-350 pounds. That was insane.


Mark Henry dunking at 410 lbs at around that height as well.



Start at 3:02.

I think Escalade from the Old And 1 might have been the only guy ever heavier than that to dunk but he had the advantage of being 6'10".
D.Brasco
General Manager
Posts: 7,842
And1: 5,819
Joined: Nov 17, 2006

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#478 » by D.Brasco » Yesterday 8:14 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:Who would be the Zion Williamson equivalent in the NFL and is his combination of size and movement atypical for even an NFL player?

I think Zion when factoring in height and build is probably the most NFL type athlete in the league probably more so than LeBron as his height is not typical for an NFL player but there are quite a few 6'5-6'7" NFL stars.


Really? I don’t think he would be a good nfl player. He doesn’t seem like he’s all that fast in a straight line or nearly quick enough to play TE. He’d be a beast in the red zone though but that’s about it


I'm not saying he'd actually be a good player but like I said his size and build seems more typical for an NFL player than an NBA player.
IronflagNZ
Ballboy
Posts: 42
And1: 29
Joined: Sep 08, 2015
 

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#479 » by IronflagNZ » Yesterday 8:31 pm

Football is a purely athletic game for the most part, Basketball requires a good combination of athleticism and skill
BAMAFREAK
Senior
Posts: 508
And1: 781
Joined: Feb 27, 2017
   

Re: Better Athletes NFL or NBA players? 

Post#480 » by BAMAFREAK » Yesterday 8:48 pm

Two different comparisons. NBA requires a lot more coordination and constant movement. Football is stop and go straight explosiveness and violence.
Both leagues have the best of the best athletes. They are just built differently. Just look at the mass difference in the two sports overall.
You can make up for coordination and explosion in basketball with length. Length helps in football but you’ve got to have speed and balance to either shake a guy or stay with a guy.

Return to The General Board