Jeremy Lin is fast as hell

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Re: Jeremy Lin is fast as hell 

Post#21 » by CoreyGallagher » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:27 pm

Lin became taboo which is why the perception of him is overwhelmingly bad, when he's actually not really. He's not a star by any means however.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#22 » by nuposse04 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:37 pm

litex wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:
litex wrote:
Did you watch the highlights? There are a bunch of times where he pulls down a board or grabs a steal, then basically outruns the entire defense down the floor to lay it in. I'm not sure he can translate his quickness to halfcourt situations beyond routine pick and rolls, but when it comes to transition he's pretty damn fast with the ball.

I've seen his highlights, he doesn't seem as fast with the ball as guys like: Rose (healthy), Westbrook, Wall, Robinson, Teague, Harris, Conley, Parker, CP3, Lawson and D. Willliams. Not to say he isn't fast with the ball but his "athleticism" is just never apparent by his game-play style. He's got maybe "good" straight line speed at best, but its his craftiness with the ball that should make opposing defenses respect him, not his athletic ability. I checked draftexpress for some numbers and didn't find anything :/ do you have the link to the original article.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/20 ... fast-lane/

The reason his numbers weren't on draftexpress was because he went to the Portsmouth Invitational

Combine numbers of any kind aren't going to determine how well athleticism transfers onto the court. I mean hell, Jason Friggin Smith has a higher standing reach and better no step vertical (which is the only leaping score that matters) then Blake Griffin...Yet you don't see Jason Smith taking the league by storm. So while the scores for Lin are nice, they are meaningless, cause he hasn't dominated the PG position athletically at all. But again, good for him scoring high.

There are a lot of guys that don't play the way their athletic scores indicate.

Edit: I'm a Nets fan, but I'd say he's probably at least as fast as D-Will. Obviously not as good a shooter and passer though. He's also bigger and heavier than all of the players you listed except for Rose and Westbrook.

I though D-Will came back pretty well after the all star break, but he was fairly fat early on. Bigger? Eh he's listed at 6'3 on his NBA bio page and at 200 lbs. He's not tiny but he's not a "strong" pg. Most PGs are actually similar strength wise IMO, I'd only say Westbrook, Williams, Rose, Wall and maybe...CP3 are considerably stronger than their peers.
stunnar0b
Starter
And1: 121

Post#23 » by stunnar0b » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Bo Outlaw wrote:
Dasein wrote:He' would be an excellent third-string point guard on a contender.

Lin would start on the Heat. Stop.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using RealGM Forums mobile app

If games were played on paper
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,476

Post#24 » by GoSixersBro » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:46 pm

I don't think he looks that fast because of his body/height compared to most NBA guards. He also runs kind of strange when you look at those highlights. He takes quick steps and his stride doesn't seem very long. It's almost cartoon-like. Still, he's pretty fast from one end of the court to the other.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
20MexicanosIn1Van
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#25 » by 20MexicanosIn1Van » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:04 pm

Jeremy Lin went from underrated, to overrated, to underrated all in less than 2 years.
Narc
Sophomore
And1: 291

Post#26 » by Narc » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:15 pm

I won't deny that Lin is crazy quick -- Morey himself stated that Lin was the fastest player he's ever measured -- but most of the rest of his game and physical attributes are sub-par. His handles are poor for an NBA point and his vertical explosion is bad as well. In fact, the mediocrity of most of his game and his ability to produce anyway is something of a testament to how fast the guy actually is.
jellybean8
Banned User
And1: 100

Post#27 » by jellybean8 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:17 pm

Gotta be fast with the ball tho
Hassassin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,608

Post#28 » by Hassassin » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:17 pm

20MexicanosIn1Van wrote:Jeremy Lin went from underrated, to overrated, to underrated all in less than 2 years.

There doesn't seem to be a neutral stance on Lin. He is either very underrated or overrated.
kvash37
Pro Prospect
And1: 367

Post#29 » by kvash37 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:21 pm

Does it translate to the court though? To me he doesn't seem nearly as quick as Rose, Wall, Westbrook, Rondo, Lawson, etc.

Reminds me of NFL teams drafting guys who are freak athletes at the combine.
diablerouge
Analyst
And1: 260

Post#30 » by diablerouge » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:23 pm

Bo Outlaw wrote:

are you out of your mind? he can't shoot like rio, why would miami start someone at the one that's not a floor spacer?
realfung
Assistant Coach
And1: 44

Post#31 » by realfung » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:23 pm

If speed and transition are only thing u look at a PG, yes, Lin is better tHan those players u mentioned.
The4thHorseman
Head Coach
And1: 4,495

Post#32 » by The4thHorseman » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:37 pm

20MexicanosIn1Van wrote:Jeremy Lin went from underrated, to overrated, to underrated all in less than 2 years.

After he torched the Lakers for 38pts while with the Knicks, people were expecting to see similar outputs like that. When he had some "back down to earth games" after that, he was called overrated..... then when on to miss the rest of the season.
DomoKun
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#33 » by DomoKun » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:41 pm

His moves haven't changed much since his days at Harvard. I think he relies on hesitation moreso than his speed. He has a high dribble though and still can't finish with his left. :-?
Just Ballin
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#34 » by Just Ballin » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:49 pm

M4P wrote:He has poor to below average lateral quickness. There's a reason why smaller PGs light him up.

Actually could've been from the same test, but they were saying his lateral quickness was off the charts somewhere
Just Ballin
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#35 » by Just Ballin » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:52 pm

DomoKun wrote:His moves haven't changed much since his days at Harvard. I think he relies on hesitation moreso than his speed. He has a high dribble though and still can't finish with his left. :-?

This seems true. He supposedly played SG in college and PG in high school. To me it seems like he's still playing as a really smart PG at high school bball IQ level. He wasn't really able to mature properly as a PG in college but he will be able to in the NBA given more time.
CBA
Bench Warmer
And1: 378

Post#36 » by CBA » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:52 pm

Useful in transition, but his poor ballhandling limits him in the half court.
Torres
Sixth Man
And1: 1,156

Post#37 » by Torres » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:57 pm

The4thHorseman wrote:

After he torched the Lakers for 38pts while with the Knicks, people were expecting to see similar outputs like that. When he had some "back down to earth games" after that, he was called overrated..... then when on to miss the rest of the season.

lol who actually expected Lin to torch teams week in week out like during the Linsanity stretch?
Not even Elite pgs like Derrick Rose / CP can do that every game.

The hatred for Lin is just unreal on here.
Image Image
Torres
Sixth Man
And1: 1,156

Post#38 » by Torres » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:00 pm

diablerouge wrote:
Bo Outlaw wrote:

are you out of your mind? he can't shoot like rio, why would miami start someone at the one that's not a floor spacer?

Cause when you have the best player on the planet along with Wade, Bosh, and Allen, it don't matter who's at the 1. :wink:
Image Image
DivineFury
Sixth Man
And1: 624

Post#39 » by DivineFury » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:20 pm

Usian Bolt would be a sick PG.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#40 » by Flash Falcon X » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:21 pm

I think people just don't realize he's fast because he's Asian.

I remember Jeremy Lin saying, "I've heard people say that I'm deceptively fast. Deceptively? What is that supposed to mean?".
#DubNation

Return to The General Board