Which NY team is in worse position?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Ugalde
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,260

Re: Which NY team is in worse position? 

Post#21 » by Ugalde » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:40 pm

I think both teams are pretty much destined to suck forever.
politics
to many 3s
KnicksManiac
RealGM
And1: 952

Post#22 » by KnicksManiac » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:41 pm

xStanton27 wrote:
KnicksManiac wrote:
xStanton27 wrote:Knicks are way worse off.

Did everyone forget about Prokhorov? The guy is willing to spend anything.

Sure Williams and Lopez are overrated, but as soon as the contracts of Pierce and KG run out, Prokhorov will pay whatever it takes to get top free agents.

Knicks have cheap ownership and are going to lose their only attractive piece by summer

Pretty terrible post right here.

1. It's nice that Prok is willing to spend anything. Unfortunately, this isn't baseball. There's a salary cap in the NBA.
2. You can call Dolan a lot of things, but "cheap" is not one of them.

Want to make more posts displaying your general lack of knowledge or are you going to stop at one?

Get off your high pedestal. Reread my post. Change cheap to bad. Tell me what is wrong with my post then? What do the knicks have that put them in a better situation that the Nets don't? And yeah there's a salary cap but obviously Prok is willing to go well into the tax, having the highest tax in the league.

I call it how I see it. Your post was very stupid. If you want to change one of the key words of your post, it's still pretty stupid, but not very stupid. Happy?
franktony
Analyst
And1: 1,492

Post#23 » by franktony » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:59 pm

BK

They have no picks, no coach, they have the worst GM in the NBA and the worst contract.

They win !
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#24 » by Kings2013 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:19 pm

Trading future for old just never works
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#25 » by DetroitSho » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:28 pm

xStanton27 wrote:
KnicksManiac wrote:

Sure Williams and Lopez are overrated, but as soon as the contracts of Pierce and KG run out, Prokhorov will pay whatever it takes to get top free agents.

Knicks have cheap ownership and are going to lose their only attractive piece by summer

Pretty terrible post right here.

1. It's nice that Prok is willing to spend anything. Unfortunately, this isn't baseball. There's a salary cap in the NBA.
2. You can call Dolan a lot of things, but "cheap" is not one of them.

Want to make more posts displaying your general lack of knowledge or are you going to stop at one?

Get off your high pedestal. Reread my post. Change cheap to bad. Tell me what is wrong with my post then? What do the knicks have that put them in a better situation that the Nets don't? And yeah there's a salary cap but obviously Prok is willing to go well into the tax, having the highest tax in the league.

Well changing that one word kinda changes the tone of your whole post.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app
daba
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#26 » by daba » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:43 pm

Brooklyn. Both teams are stuck with bad contracts and a lack of first round picks, but Brooklyn is a more extreme version of the Knicks. And Melo still has a good deal of value left, more than anyone left on the Nets (Lopez would've had a good deal of value until he broke his foot).
twinthunder3
Veteran
And1: 93

Post#27 » by twinthunder3 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:43 pm

Knicks. If Melo leaves this summer.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#28 » by craig01 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:50 pm

Ugalde wrote:I think both teams are pretty much destined to suck forever.

Forever is a long time, but yeah both teams will be bottom feeders for the foreseeable future.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
AustinCarr61
Junior
And1: 224

Post#29 » by AustinCarr61 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:59 pm

Knicks are in a worse position. Proky can fire Billy King, but Dolan isn't ousting himself.

In terms of asset situations though, Knicks are much better off.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#30 » by Flash3 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:06 pm

Both teams are in pretty bad spots. The Knicks were set back years and years in 2010 when they failed to get LeBron and they were forced to make trades for no reason but to play catch up - for 2 players they spent a lot of money on, who can't stay healthy and never were able to play together in tandem to equate to anything.

NJ on the other hand just emptied their cupboard to make a splash and they are screwed!

But I wouldn't take solace in either position because in 2010 when the Knicks were able to do something with assets, they failed to amount to much - and a few seasons later are in the same position in the grand scheme of things - not really relevant.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Flash3 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:20 pm

Having the $ to spend all you want isn't that helpful - look what all that $ and cap space did in 2010 when all the big time free agents by passed the nets and even with jay z's presence - plus the big market.

Big time free agents, who care about winning, want proper ownership AND front office personnel - not just the $ which they can get everywhere.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Flash3 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:48 pm

Kings2013 wrote:Trading future for old just never works

Not sure why teams don't realize this after mistake after mistake. The NYKs just gave up a 1st for Bargnani - someone who's style really never fit the strenghts and needs of what their star player needed. A lot of teams trade for the sake of trading and get their teams in cap hell or threadmill mode.
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,198

Post#33 » by kerry kittles » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:31 am

I think a lot of the issues for both teams is they use the other as a measuring stick and have incompetent management. The Kidd hire was an attempt to steal the back page from the Knicks. The Bargs trade was a response to the KG/Pierce trade. If the Nets were playing well Woodson would be fired long ago. He has been given a longer leash because the Nets are just as bad. The Nets would also have had moves if the Knicks were playing better.

So many myopic moves made by incompetent management.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#34 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:33 am

Knicks at least have Shumpert and I'm assuming more future picks. Brooklyn really has no tradeable assets because the salaries are so out of control.
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,198

Post#35 » by kerry kittles » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:42 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:Knicks at least have Shumpert and I'm assuming more future picks. Brooklyn really has no tradeable assets because the salaries are so out of control.

THJR is a treadable asset, I'd give you that. Shumpert has been horrible, 46.8 TS %. His defense has been subpar, he can't put the ball on the floor at all.

The Knicks have one more pick than the Nets between now and 2018 and not all these pick swaps that King gives out like candy,

Pierce is a large expiring that could get something at the deadline if the Nets choose to blow it up.

The Knicks are in better shape since they are more likely to fire their coach, they do have more picks and their contracts come off the books before the Nets. Hopefully, they'll make the smart decision to not max out Melo this summer.
Mars_Blackmon
Banned User
And1: 2,263

Post#36 » by Mars_Blackmon » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:42 am

twinthunder3 wrote:Knicks. If Melo leaves this summer.

yup because life was so good without him

more Curry's and Marbury's

Knicks gonna sign Rudy Gay and JaVale McGee when they can
twinthunder3
Veteran
And1: 93

Post#37 » by twinthunder3 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:49 am

A less-efficient Carmelo? That'd be Gay.
Mars_Blackmon
Banned User
And1: 2,263

Post#38 » by Mars_Blackmon » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:45 am

Statistical Analysis has ruined basketball for me
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#39 » by Boarder Patrol » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:03 am

Knicks have basically clean books after next season, two contracts in Felton and JR who they can move if they want, for a much worse player that expires sooner. I think the Nets have Deron until 2017/2018, so I doubt anyone big signs until then, maybe the season before.

Knicks only owe two more picks, the Nets owe five (though some are just swaps).

As far as young talent goes it's about even IMO, Knicks have Shumpert (struggling, but still an asset and looking better the last couple of games), Hardaway (steal) and then Murry. Nets have Plumlee and some Euros, one of whom is pretty good.

Overall, I'd go with the Knicks. Deron will prevent the Nets from making any marquee signings until he's off the books. Knicks have a shot at a reload year after next.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,375

Post#40 » by Scalabrine » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:06 pm

Knicks have historically had some of the highest payrolls. The consistently give big contracts to mediocre over the hill former solid players. Being cheap is not the problem. It's what they spend money on...
Maybe your using the Jeremy Lin dobacle as your example but that was really the outlier of the James Dolan Knicks being frugal.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
Go Knicks!

Return to The General Board