What's the Secret to the Suns medical Staff?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

ndnow
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Re: What's the Secret to the Suns medical Staff? 

Post#21 » by ndnow » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:18 am

Media hype is the secret. They are nothing special compared to most others.
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#22 » by noobcake » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:12 am

Cyrusman122000 wrote:
CoachKobe wrote:first and foremost it's the climate. and this is really old news, the healing qualities of the southwest's climate have been promoted for over a century now, even 100 years ago there were already sanatoriums. if you live in new york and have arthritis, just throw your meds out the window and move to arizona. it's the desert, not the medical staff. you think suns medical staff would have fixed grant hill in the nyc winter? no, never.

I doubt that's the reason. Otherwise the same would apply to the lakers, clippers, rockets, spurs and heat. Those are all warm cities as well..

Warm and dry.

LA is toxic/smog filled wasteland. Spurs, Rockets are in humid Texas.

Warmer dry climate is scientifically known to be better for the joints, in extension knees, hands, foot, etc. As for injury prevention, it is probably due to partially luck and partially due to the medical staff.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#23 » by Kabookalu » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:10 am

BieberLUV wrote:if i were to build the perfect basketball franchise, i would have: daryl morey as head gm, prokhorov as owner, 3 apprentices from the spurs front offices, greg popovich as coach, scott brooks as a talent evaluator and the suns' medical staff

I'd rather have Mark Cuban as my owner. You can have a team of the greatest managers in basketball history together but the hours of logical moves they have discussed is wasted if the one man they have to report to would rather appease to his impulses. Prokhorov has displayed his basketball incompetency and would surely override any decision his GM made because he thinks it's right. Just like when Paul Allen made Kevin Pritchard sign Brandon Roy to that max extension against Pritchard's wishes.

Cuban, as annoying as he can get, has taken the time to understand basketball and has used his money to good use to assist the construction of his team rather than control it.
Read on Twitter
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,579

Post#24 » by dice » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:24 am

i'd like to see a study of games missed due to injury by medical staff

when did the suns staff start getting all this praise? was it mostly grant hill related? and has their staff actually been a constant personnel-wise over the years?
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
bushybrah_
Sixth Man
And1: 1,368

Post#25 » by bushybrah_ » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:38 am

PED's.
genius-
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,187

Post#26 » by genius- » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:39 am

hopefully they can work on silva's leg :(
TSA_Denver3
Junior
And1: 53

Post#27 » by TSA_Denver3 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:44 am

Froob wrote:Surprised phoenix isn't a bigger draw for big name players. Wonder if they can fix Bynum's toxic personality.

injury prone Eric Gordon wanted to play in Phoenix but New Orleans still wanted him to be a injury prone player.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 17,006

Post#28 » by Shock Defeat » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:44 am

It's unbelievable how many players got rejuvenated once they came to Phoenix, and how many of them became injured and old again as soon as they left.
jade_hippo
Starter
And1: 135

Post#29 » by jade_hippo » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:51 am

dice wrote:i'd like to see a study of games missed due to injury by medical staff

when did the suns staff start getting all this praise? was it mostly grant hill related? and has their staff actually been a constant personnel-wise over the years?

Same guy has been in charge almost 15 years. Nixon or something like that.
They've had a few miracle cases: J Oneal, Shaq, Redd, Nash and a few others I'm forgetting
Oddly I think the Spurs are a more healthy team over the reign of the miracle workers in PHO.
Zubby
General Manager
And1: 835

Post#30 » by Zubby » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:12 am

Maybe they can help Anderson Silva :(
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Post#31 » by Hangtime84 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:08 am

jade_hippo wrote:
dice wrote:i'd like to see a study of games missed due to injury by medical staff

They've had a few miracle cases: J Oneal, Shaq, Redd, Nash and a few others I'm forgetting
Oddly I think the Spurs are a more healthy team over the reign of the miracle workers in PHO.

Top medical staffs in the NBA imo:
Spurs
Suns
OKC
Miami
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
LateRoundFlyer
Junior
And1: 8

Post#32 » by LateRoundFlyer » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:58 am

I can't remember where I read this, but PHO has a philosophy wherein they regard their training staff sort of like an appreciating investment in their players. Because of this view, their program has been cleared to experiment with some very unconventional but at the same time extremely innovative techniques.

One example of this was some sort of nitrogen chamber in lieu of a cold tank, which players use after a game instead of an ice bath. These chambers are not cheap in the least, and used without the necessary precautions, can actually be quite dangerous.

They also heavily rely on goniometers to measure joint flexibility and detect possible issues early, with respect to how injuries might affect how players' favor other parts of their body to compensate.

In all fairness, if these things explained even half of their success, I can't imagine why they wouldn't be standard practice for the rest of the league (excluding the usual bottom feeders, of course). In fact, I suspect most are.

Other posters have mentioned PHO's desert climate as a plausible reason as well. And if course there's always the possibility they've just been exceedingly lucky and overrated as a result. A little bit of everything would not surprise me.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,941

Post#33 » by Sofia » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:24 am

jade_hippo wrote:

Close, it's Aaron Nelson.

I wonder how many head trainers could we actually name without naming your own teams? Not very many I'd say...
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
jade_hippo
Starter
And1: 135

Post#34 » by jade_hippo » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:29 am

Mats272-GOAT wrote:
jade_hippo wrote:

Close, it's Aaron Nelson.

I wonder how many head trainers could we actually name without naming your own teams? Not very many I'd say...

dang, was close. He was mentioned several times in a sports medicine class I took and all the stress he puts on flexibility and cryo-therapy in injury prevention. Was like 7 years ago, so a tad fuzzy

on an aside, they made it sound like one of the reasons Shaq didn't want to stay in Phoenix was them wanting him to always be in great shape where he preferred to let himself go and slowly play into shape as the season wore on.

*edit* Drew Cleary in Washington is the only trainer I can name besides my own team.
simomi
Junior
And1: 421

Post#35 » by simomi » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:13 pm

Frank Mulely wrote:
Inevitable wrote:Bill Simmons thinks it's PEDs

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2013/ ... s-cheating

That's Simmons explanation for everything.

VC-INJURY
Sixth Man
And1: 1,417

Post#36 » by VC-INJURY » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:46 pm

The "secret" is that the suns medical staff do evaluations on the players EVERYDAY!

They look for any deviations from normal alignment, range of motion, functional ability etc and then prescribe treatment and exercises to correct them in order to reduce or prevent injury. They take a very proactive approach to the health of their players.

It's likely seen as overkill by most people, but you need to do it if you want to prevent injury.

video about NASM but they interview Grant Hill in it who touches on what I mentioned.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT6CL4aPkcE[/youtube]
Dupas
Analyst
And1: 1,860

Post#37 » by Dupas » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:53 pm

Really?? People still didnt figured it out?? Its paranomix potion ofc.

Return to The General Board