Why do people think Stephenson should've been an All-Star?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

scoechip
Senior
And1: 222

Re: Why do people think Stephenson should've been an All-Sta 

Post#21 » by scoechip » Sat Feb 1, 2014 6:46 pm

carl_english wrote:All Star game showcases the franchise players of each team. Stephenson is obviously not the franchise.

Neither is Paul Millsap, Chris Bosh, Joe Johnson, Joakim Noah etc.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RealGM Forums mobile app
VC-INJURY
Sixth Man
And1: 1,417

Post#22 » by VC-INJURY » Sat Feb 1, 2014 7:46 pm

xBulletproof wrote:This is pretty simple. I wouldn't care if a guy more deserving than Joe Johnson was in. Just no case can be made for him that is logical. Lance is averaging 14-7-5 on 50% shooting while on the team with the best record. It's been fairly customary for the best team to get 3 guys in. By every measure Joe Johnson is less efficient than Lance while only averaging 15-3-3 on 44% shooting for an under .500 team. Less impressive numbers, and many more losses.

Same with everyone else named in the original post, those teams are all losing. You really think Lance couldn't put up the numbers Afflalo/Kemba are getting on a team without enough options to score? Of course he could. Those guys are getting 16 shots per game, and Lance is getting 11. Even Lowry who has the best case isn't a clear cut above Lance by the numbers, but I wouldn't argue it if he got in.

It all centers around the horrific choice of picking Joe Johnson.

I agree Joe Johnson shouldn't have made it, but just because Joe Johnson made it doesn't mean Stephenson should.

The reason it's "customary" for a top team to get 3 guys is because teams like the Spurs & Heat have actually had 3 all-stars on their team. Picking 3 for the sake of picking 3 doesn't make sense if a top team doesn't actually have 3 all-stars (which Lance isn't).

Stephenson would struggle if he wasn't on Indiana simply because of the fact that he's a horrible decision maker. With all that depth around him he's able to do what he does best because teams are worrying about Hibbert, George & West too.

Al Jefferson, Kemba Walker & Lowry should all be on the team before Lance. All of them are playing on playoff teams and have better numbers than Lance.
pylb
General Manager
And1: 3,681

Post#23 » by pylb » Sat Feb 1, 2014 7:50 pm

Because he's had a lot of highlights, is on a top team and gets his name mentioned regularly in the media.
pylb
General Manager
And1: 3,681

Post#24 » by pylb » Sat Feb 1, 2014 7:51 pm

scoechip wrote:
carl_english wrote:All Star game showcases the franchise players of each team. Stephenson is obviously not the franchise.

Neither is Paul Millsap, Chris Bosh, Joe Johnson, Joakim Noah etc.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RealGM Forums mobile app

Joakim Noah has been the Bulls' franchise player the last two seasons.
daschysta
Assistant Coach
And1: 356

Post#25 » by daschysta » Sat Feb 1, 2014 8:03 pm

VC-INJURY wrote:
xBulletproof wrote:This is pretty simple. I wouldn't care if a guy more deserving than Joe Johnson was in. Just no case can be made for him that is logical. Lance is averaging 14-7-5 on 50% shooting while on the team with the best record. It's been fairly customary for the best team to get 3 guys in. By every measure Joe Johnson is less efficient than Lance while only averaging 15-3-3 on 44% shooting for an under .500 team. Less impressive numbers, and many more losses.

Same with everyone else named in the original post, those teams are all losing. You really think Lance couldn't put up the numbers Afflalo/Kemba are getting on a team without enough options to score? Of course he could. Those guys are getting 16 shots per game, and Lance is getting 11. Even Lowry who has the best case isn't a clear cut above Lance by the numbers, but I wouldn't argue it if he got in.

I agree Joe Johnson shouldn't have made it, but just because Joe Johnson made it doesn't mean Stephenson should.

The reason it's "customary" for a top team to get 3 guys is because teams like the Spurs & Heat have actually had 3 all-stars on their team. Picking 3 for the sake of picking 3 doesn't make sense if a top team doesn't actually have 3 all-stars (which Lance isn't).

Stephenson would struggle if he wasn't on Indiana simply because of the fact that he's a horrible decision maker. With all that depth around him he's able to do what he does best because teams are worrying about Hibbert, George & West too.

Al Jefferson, Kemba Walker & Lowry should all be on the team before Lance. All of them are playing on playoff teams and have better numbers than Lance.

Stephenson shoots 50 percent from the field and 35 percent from 3, he averages 14 on a stacked team. I have no doubt he'd average 18 to 20 on a bad team on a bit worse from the field. He's the best rebounding 2 guard in the NBA, one of the best passing 2 guards in basketball, and on a worse team he could average 7 apg easily if allowed to dominate the ball, leads the league in triple doubles with 4 already and is an above average defender. On the top team in the east

2nd in scoring
A close 2nd in rebounding
1st in assists
1st in minutes.

Sounds like an all star resume to me in a weak conference with only 2.5 non joke teams.
JrueHK
Senior
And1: 451

Post#26 » by JrueHK » Sat Feb 1, 2014 8:15 pm

But he wouldn't be shooting anywhere near he is shooting now if he was playing on a team like Magic or Bobcats.
Lance doesn't deserve to get in this year. Maybe next year. All-star snubs happen everytime but this isn't one of them.
daschysta
Assistant Coach

Post#27 » by daschysta » Sat Feb 1, 2014 8:21 pm

JrueHK wrote:

But he wouldn't be shooting anywhere near he is shooting now if he was playing on a team like Magic or Bobcats.
Lance doesn't deserve to get in this year. Maybe next year. All-star snubs happen everytime but this isn't one of them.

But his volume would increase and he'd likely average 8 rpg and 7 apg.
JrueHK
Senior
And1: 451

Post#28 » by JrueHK » Sat Feb 1, 2014 8:23 pm

daschysta wrote:
JrueHK wrote:

But that team wouldn't be "winning".
So matter of fact, he wouldn't deserve All-star based on his argument.
daschysta
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by daschysta » Sat Feb 1, 2014 8:32 pm

JrueHK wrote:
daschysta wrote:
JrueHK wrote:

But that team wouldn't be "winning".
So matter of fact, he wouldn't deserve All-star based on his argument.

18 8 and 7 are all star numbers, he has great numbers now except for volume scoring, and his percentages may not suffer badly, he's dynamite in the fast break and doesn't get to showcase it as much in Indy, put him on a run and gun team and watch out.
Dagameplaya PnG
Sixth Man
And1: 130

Post#30 » by Dagameplaya PnG » Sat Feb 1, 2014 8:57 pm

VC-INJURY wrote:
Dagameplaya PnG wrote:Maybe they actually watch the games and think he'd be fun to see playing amongs the best of the best?

A guy being "fun to watch" can't cut it for the all-star game. By that logic, guys like Jason Williams & Ricky Davis should've been 10x all-stars.

Jason Williams played in an era full of top notch point guards and obviously everybody can't be in it. Don't recall that many people liking Ricky Davis.
Los Angele Lakers & North Carolina Tar Heels fan for life
Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Post#31 » by Novocaine » Sat Feb 1, 2014 9:18 pm

daschysta wrote:
Stephenson shoots 50 percent from the field and 35 percent from 3, he averages 14 on a stacked team. I have no doubt he'd average 18 to 20 on a bad team on a bit worse from the field. He's the best rebounding 2 guard in the NBA, one of the best passing 2 guards in basketball, and on a worse team he could average 7 apg easily if allowed to dominate the ball, leads the league in triple doubles with 4 already and is an above average defender. On the top team in the east

2nd in scoring
1st in assists
1st in minutes.

Sounds like an all star resume to me in a weak conference with only 2.5 non joke teams.

xBulletproof wrote:Same with everyone else named in the original post, those teams are all losing. You really think Lance couldn't put up the numbers Afflalo/Kemba are getting on a team without enough options to score? Of course he could. Those guys are getting 16 shots per game, and Lance is getting 11. Even Lowry who has the best case isn't a clear cut above Lance by the numbers, but I wouldn't argue it if he got in.

This entire "his numbers aren't great, but he's playing on a stacked team which is an offensive juggernaut" theory becomes ridiculous if one thinks the Pacers offense is actually below average. Worse than teams like the Knicks, Raptors, Hawks or Nets. So he' a guy putting unimpressive numbers on an unimpressive offense. Since when is that a ticket to the ASG?

Now, one can argue Stephenson should get in because of the Pacers defense and his contributions to it. But defense is rarely a factor for ASG selections and there would be far more concerning cases that Stephenson if it was.

I think Lowry was a more dramatic snub than Stephenson. It's not even close, he's been the best PG in the conference this season.
VC-INJURY
Sixth Man

Post#32 » by VC-INJURY » Sat Feb 1, 2014 9:27 pm

Dagameplaya PnG wrote:
VC-INJURY wrote:
Dagameplaya PnG wrote:Maybe they actually watch the games and think he'd be fun to see playing amongs the best of the best?

A guy being "fun to watch" can't cut it for the all-star game. By that logic, guys like Jason Williams & Ricky Davis should've been 10x all-stars.

Jason Williams played in an era full of top notch point guards and obviously everybody can't be in it. Don't recall that many people liking Ricky Davis.

You were saying a guy like Stephenson would be "fun to see playing among the best of the best". My point was that, although they would be fun to watch play, a flashy PG and dumb guy who's good at dunking don't make for good all-stars.
VC-INJURY
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by VC-INJURY » Sat Feb 1, 2014 9:50 pm

daschysta wrote:Stephenson shoots 50 percent from the field and 35 percent from 3, he averages 14 on a stacked team. I have no doubt he'd average 18 to 20 on a bad team on a bit worse from the field. He's the best rebounding 2 guard in the NBA, one of the best passing 2 guards in basketball, and on a worse team he could average 7 apg easily if allowed to dominate the ball, leads the league in triple doubles with 4 already and is an above average defender. On the top team in the east

2nd in scoring
1st in assists
1st in minutes.

35% from the 3 is not impressive, and is especially not something to brag about for a SG. He shoots 50% because they don't rely on him to score (as evidenced by his 14 ppg) and he can be selective in his shooting.

His numbers are nothing to write home about. Like I said in my OP, MCW has more impressive numbers than Stephenson and his name hardly comes up for guys who've been snubbed.

MCW per game:

14TH in the East in Scoring
31ST in the East in Rebounding (#1 for PG's)
4th in the East in Assists
1st in the East in Steals

I don't even care for PHI or MCW at all, but he's got #'s that are all-star worthy.
xBulletproof
Analyst
And1: 4,548

Post#34 » by xBulletproof » Sat Feb 1, 2014 10:26 pm

VC-INJURY wrote:

Sure, Joe Johnson not making it doesn't mean Lance should, but it means someone else should, and Lance is the best option. Sure, Kemba is averaging better numbers, in points, but everything else ... not so much. So if that's what it is, it's just points and nothing else to you, sure. Also, as to your point about 3 guys getting in because they had 3 all stars on their team ..... huh? So Bosh's 16 points, 6 rebounds and 1 assist is massively better than Lance's 14-7-5? I don't get it. Lance is averaging 2 less points, and 4 more assists, hell even more rebounds than Bosh playing PF/C. So, Bosh deserved it, but Lance doesn't? There's a contradiction here.

Lance WAS a horrible decision maker, 2 years ago. That hasn't been the a problem at all this year or last. This is a sign to me that you're working off of two year old perceptions. Steph Curry's turnover % is 16.6. Rubio is at 23%. Lance is at 17.2%. Last year Lance was at 14.4%. I'm sure there are more examples, but does that mean Steph and Rubio have horrible decision making issues too?

This is clearly a perception issue.
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,457

Post#35 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Sat Feb 1, 2014 10:33 pm

He's good, but he is not an allstar in my eyes. He's able to play freely which amplifies his talent while also covers his deficiencies. He shouldn't leave Indy.
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,767

Post#36 » by Young_Star11 » Sat Feb 1, 2014 10:40 pm

In a perfect situation in Indiana - I don't know if he would be as good as a primary or secondary option anywhere else.
CousinOfDeath
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,260

Post#37 » by CousinOfDeath » Sat Feb 1, 2014 10:43 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:It is not only about his numbers, it's about the eye test. He is the most fun player to watch in the league atm, and one of the most versatile. He is their playmaker, and he's always bailing out George when he's slumping, so he's often the 1st option or 2nd option. His D is also excellent.

My eye test tells me everything in this post is false.
suckfish wrote:Reminder: NBA players are stupid.
andyo
Assistant Coach
And1: 447

Post#38 » by andyo » Sat Feb 1, 2014 10:44 pm

Not an all-star level player but he's playing in a weak conference and at a position where there's not a premium of wealth as is.

However, he deserved it over Joe Johnson if we were to compare the two exclusively. That's probably why people are annoyed.
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#39 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Sat Feb 1, 2014 10:49 pm

I think he should have made it for sure.

Sure, 14 ppg for a SG is nothing special. But who's the last SG to average over 7 rebounds a game? Dude gets assists too.
Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Post#40 » by Novocaine » Sat Feb 1, 2014 10:53 pm

xBulletproof wrote:
Sure, Joe Johnson not making it doesn't mean Lance should, but it means someone else should, and Lance is the best option.

Explain why Stephenson is a better option than Lowery, a guy with better numbers, playing in a better offense - and leading that offense, for that matter.

Return to The General Board