[Video]Raptors Honor Vince Carter, Standing Ovation

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Nyphantom
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,248

[Video]Raptors Honor Vince Carter, Standing Ovation 

Post#1 » by Nyphantom » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:04 pm

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/2 ... esday.html

A long-time employee of the Raptors, someone who knows a thing about the history of the franchise and its growth, was discussing Vince Carter and the reception he might get during Wednesday’s game against the Memphis Grizzlies.

The team plans one of the many video tributes they are paying to icons of the past to help celebrate its 20th anniversary and no one is iconic as Carter, who will be honoured during a first-quarter timeout.
Guessing the reaction is difficult because there are those who will not let go of a decade-long anger at Carter and how vociferous they will be can’t be told.

But there is a greater context that should be taken into consideration.

“Never mind what happened with him 10 years ago,” was the gist of the point the high-ranking team staff member made. “They should cheer him for what he did for basketball in Canada.”

“He’s done a lot not just for us for a team, but just for this country,” former Raptor Alvin Williams said earlier this season during his official 20th anniversary appearance at a game.

“You see the Canadian players now that are in the NBA and they’re all a testament to him. That shows what he does, not only for the Raptors, but what he did for this whole country.”

That should be enough of a legacy to guarantee a high level of appreciation for what he meant to the game in Canada and to the Raptors.

For players, though, the respect has always been there. Raptors wings DeMar DeRozan and Terrence Ross grew up idolizing Carter. Ross still watches his highlights, and said playing against him is like a dream. DeRozan said it was “dope” to see him honored.

"It's almost like a dream. You see Vince and his Raptors highlights. When you see him lined up on the other side it's something you only dream about." - Terrence Ross on playing against Vince Carter

“He deserved it,” DeRozan said. “He deserves everything, honestly, because he was the one who, I think, pioneered the whole thing with the Toronto Raptors. So you gotta give him his credit [for] everything he brought to this city. He made me a fan at an early age.”

Grizzlies guard Mike Conley had never seen anything like it. He said it was fantastic to share that with Carter, to see his emotion and congratulate him on his career.

“I told him, ‘Man, it's a pleasure,'” Conley said. “It's a pleasure to play with him. To see the imprint that he's left wherever he's been, it's always been positive. You can't knock the person that he is, and he's an even better player. So I was happy to see the fans be so receptive.”

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-EerAZAEhA[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8HxLitMSB8[/youtube]
20MexicanosIn1Van
Veteran
And1: 318

Re: Raptors will give Vinsanity Video Tribute, 20th Annivers 

Post#2 » by 20MexicanosIn1Van » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:22 pm

Toronto's marketing people are pretty good. I'm sure we'll get a dope video - can't wait to see it.
JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Post#3 » by JoseRizal » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:53 pm

And yet they let Amir Johnson wear his #15 jersey...
BetterCallSaul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,525

Post#4 » by BetterCallSaul » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:15 am

JoseRizal wrote:And yet they let Amir Johnson wear his #15 jersey...

Well, it started with Jorge Garbajosa. When Colangelo was brought in the whole movement was around forgetting the Babcock/VC era and that was the right move.

Amir is a **** warrior, I have NO qualms about him wearing that number and if he sticks with us throughout his entire career and we enjoy some kind of new success with him here, I could even see us retiring his number one day.
Albanian Damien
Starter
And1: 639

Post#5 » by Albanian Damien » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:17 am

BetterCallSaul wrote:

Well, it started with Jorge Garbajosa. When Colangelo was brought in the whole movement was around forgetting the Babcock/VC era and that was the right move.

Amir is a **** warrior, I have NO qualms about him wearing that number and if he sticks with us throughout his entire career and we enjoy some kind of new success with him here, I could even see us retiring his number one day.

Before Carters? :eek1: :-?
My Starting 5:

PG: Allen Iverson
SG: Paul Pierce
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Patrick Ewing
etopn23
Head Coach
And1: 160

Post#6 » by etopn23 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:51 am

BetterCallSaul wrote:

He could play for 20 more years, it wouldn't matter. That number will always be Carter's. Simply absurd you'd even make that statement.
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,295

Post#7 » by goodboy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:54 am

Nice of them, VC really put Toronto on the map.
Bright
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 16,347

Post#8 » by Mk0 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:03 am

LOL @ retiring Amir's #15... Come on dude..
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
Cyrusman122000
Analyst
And1: 2,919

Post#9 » by Cyrusman122000 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:12 am

I'm not a Raptor fan but it really does piss me off that they allow Amir Johnson to wear that number .

Carter is the best player is raptor history! They just had their first TNT game in 13 years! During the carter years nbc and TNT always showed them! He had such a big influence on basketball in Canada. He was a basketball icon during his years in Toronto. Cant believe Amir wears that numbers..

That'd be like the lakers letting another player wear number 8 (which they haven't)
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#10 » by Hendrix » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:16 am

Cyrusman122000 wrote:I'm not a Raptor fan but it really does piss me off that they allow Amir Johnson to wear that number .

It really pisses you off that much? He played 6 seasons there, hasn't even retired, and wasn't exactly Michael Jordan.

He'll eventually get his number retired as he was important, but it isn't retired yet, so I have no problems with Amir wearing it (he's worn it since high school).
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,252

Post#11 » by durden_tyler » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:25 am

Hendrix wrote:
Cyrusman122000 wrote:I'm not a Raptor fan but it really does piss me off that they allow Amir Johnson to wear that number .

It really pisses you off that much? He played 6 seasons there, hasn't even retired, and wasn't exactly Michael Jordan.

He'll eventually get his number retired as he was important, but it isn't retired yet, so I have no problems with Amir wearing it (he's worn it since high school).

In a sense, he was the Michael Jordan for the Toronto franchise.

No one knows about the Raptors until VC put them in the NBA map.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Cyrusman122000
Analyst
And1: 2,919

Post#12 » by Cyrusman122000 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:30 am

Hendrix wrote:

He was still the best player in franchise history.. He put the raptors on the map when they were a brand new organization. No disrespect to Amir but I do feel that number should be retired, and not worn by another player. Similar to how the lakers haven't allowed anyone to wear number 8 in the last 9 years
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#13 » by Hendrix » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:36 am

durden_tyler wrote:
In a sense, he was the Michael Jordan for the Toronto franchise.

No one knows about the Raptors until VC put them in the NBA map.

He's spent 10 years in the league since he left, and was public enemy #1 for a bunch of those. You don't retire a players number who's still in the league for a decade, when the fan base doesn't like him.

He'll get it eventually. I don't see the big deal.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
BetterCallSaul
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by BetterCallSaul » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:41 am

Hendrix wrote:

Not to mention Garbajosa first wore it when the wounds of VC's BS were still fresh and the thought of retiring his number was ridiculous.
BetterCallSaul
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by BetterCallSaul » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:42 am

Cyrusman122000 wrote:
Hendrix wrote:

He was still the best player in franchise history.. He put the raptors on the map when they were a brand new organization. No disrespect to Amir but I do feel that number should be retired, and not worn by another player. Similar to how the lakers haven't allowed anyone to wear number 8 in the last 9 years

It's nothing like Kobe's #8. Kobe is a Laker lifer.
BetterCallSaul
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by BetterCallSaul » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:43 am

Albanian Damien wrote:
BetterCallSaul wrote:

Before Carters? :eek1: :-?

I never said that.

Basically what I'm saying is, if this current Raptors core somehow manages to win a chip in the next few years, I could see us retiring Amir as part of the heart and soul of a team that won the first championship for our franchise.
KennyDuwayne
Senior
And1: 1,068

Post#17 » by KennyDuwayne » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:25 am

Who wrote that article? Proof-reading and editing not even once
Usual Suspects
Sixth Man
And1: 2,185

Re: [Video]Raptors Honor Vince Carter 

Post#18 » by Usual Suspects » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:52 am

Loved seeing that, and those were definitely genuine tears from him...Well done.

http://www.nba.com/raptors/drop-box-nba-web-141119-vctribute.mp4
laploutocratie
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,274

Post#19 » by laploutocratie » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:59 am

All these feels

x XVII

6ixth_Man wrote:When I die, I want the Raptors to lower me into my grave, so they can let me down one last time
VentHacker
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#20 » by VentHacker » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:11 am

As a Raptors fan for 20 years, this video meant a lot to me. Carter is still my favourite player.

Return to The General Board