Ever Play Pick Up Basketball with a NBA Pro

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

davey_wavy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,002

Ever Play Pick Up Basketball with a NBA Pro 

Post#101 » by davey_wavy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:00 pm

I used to run the local Y in Orlando and once rented out the gym to Neyo, Chris brown, Kevin hart and others. I got to play with them, Kevin hart is legit

Sent from my iPhone. If you don't own one, well, you should consider it.
chrismikayla
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,909

Post#102 » by chrismikayla » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:39 pm

I played against Lou Williams his second year with Philadelphia. He's from this area and went to South Gwinnett high school. He was just bullshitting around taking long threes. I was waiting on some kid to start trash talking him and get destroyed but it never happened
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Re: Ever Play Pick Up Basketball with a NBA Pro 

Post#103 » by OrlChamps2030 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:50 pm

CellarDoor wrote:Played with Deron Williams and Dee Brown back when they were at UofI. The biggest thing I took away was how big Deron is (build, not height necessarily) and how freakishly fast they both were compared to your average gym goer.

Thats awesome

Dee Brown is one of my favorite college bball players of all time
wjun15
Rookie
And1: 407

Post#104 » by wjun15 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:13 pm

deanwoof wrote:Played ball with Salim Stoudamire in high school. Had PE together.
Played against Greg Oden's younger brother at gym.
In college Oregon Ducks players frequented the req - Aaron brooks, Andre Joseph, Luke Ridnour, Luke Jackson. That's it

u went to Lake Oswego? so did i lol..class of 2005...

not NBA pro but i played 3v3 with Terrell Owens on my team at equinox in west la...he was horrible..jacked up about 20 threes and made maybe 2...wasn't very coordinated but could get to the rack.
TommyTBolt
Rookie
And1: 509

Post#105 » by TommyTBolt » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:45 pm

i used to play pickup with a guy who was a teammate of PJ Tucker and one day PJ Tucker walks in and runs with us. This was after his BIG 12 Fresh of Year Award at Texas. closest I can say I came was that I never played with anyone who was actively an NBA player at the time though.
chrismikayla
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,909

Re: Re: Ever Play Pick Up Basketball with a NBA Pro 

Post#106 » by chrismikayla » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:07 pm

wjun15 wrote:
deanwoof wrote:Played ball with Salim Stoudamire in high school. Had PE together.
In college Oregon Ducks players frequented the req - Aaron brooks, Andre Joseph, Luke Ridnour, Luke Jackson. That's it

not NBA pro but i played 3v3 with Terrell Owens on my team at equinox in west la...he was horrible..jacked up about 20 threes and made maybe 2...wasn't very coordinated but could get to the rack.

That's funny you say that about TO Shaw once said TO could have played in the NBA but you never know when Shaq is being serious.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,857

Post#107 » by Duffman100 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:48 pm

Closest was an NCAA 2 player who was playing at like 30%. He was....tough to stop. Managed to strip him on one jumper. He dunked on me twice.
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#108 » by deanwoof » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:19 am

wjun15 wrote:

Nope. Went to Lincoln. He was there one year before transferring.
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#109 » by qm22 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:15 am

Never in real games but been on court with some like Derrick Coleman and the Mavs practiced on my school's rec court, so I'm left with games against our school's Div I players. I never followed NCAA basketball even at my own school so the one I remember the most was a guy I played one on one with late at night when there was no one else in the gym in a quick game I lost 5-1 (thought I played good defense and contested every jumper closely, but he shot like 5-7). Then coincidentally the next day I saw sports highlights showing my school squeaked out a win against MSU that day and that guy had like 28 points or so.

Played with a bunch of other guards on my school's team in 5 on 5s and none of it really stands out as interesting, some played on a year we made the NCAA tournament. A lot of them would play intramural leagues once their season ended too. One memory that sticks out is one of those guards losing like 60-20 or so in the intramural league and getting really pissed, playing aggressive D while swearing non-stop, but he and his team kept on getting scored on easily. All together I'd say many times the guys from the team played pick up they didn't stand out that much. That's why I'm surprised by some of the posts of Div. I and II guys killing pickup games in some "other-level" fashion. Sometimes the whole team practiced in the rec in summer and they'd pick up some of us occasionally, and usually whoever filled in on the team practice was not so far behind they stood out.

Pretty jealous of the guys who got to play with NBA players.
StarksChoked
Junior
And1: 109

Post#110 » by StarksChoked » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:19 am

davey_wavy wrote:I used to run the local Y in Orlando and once rented out the gym to Neyo, Chris brown, Kevin hart and others. I got to play with them, Kevin hart is legit

Sent from my iPhone. If you don't own one, well, you should consider it.

was this it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpls309Bkpc
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#111 » by MaxRider » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:48 am

only NBA pro's son
Moses Malone Jr
dekobedeharden
Sixth Man
And1: 2,290

Post#112 » by dekobedeharden » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:52 am

went to elementary school with 2 of dikembe mutumbos nephews up until grade 3 and played with them i guess.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#113 » by Roddy B for 3 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:38 am

dekobedeharden wrote:went to elementary school with 2 of dikembe mutumbos nephews up until grade 3 and played with them i guess.

Kabenglee?
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,706

Post#114 » by scrabbarista » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:24 am

I hit a home run and a double off of J.R. Richard and Jose Cruz, respectively, when I was younger. I don't think I've played an NBA pro, though. I might've run a game against one of the (Brevin, etc.) Knight brothers once in high school, but my memory is foggy on it. Probably my imagination.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,706

Post#115 » by scrabbarista » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:26 am

MaxRider wrote:only NBA pro's son
Moses Malone Jr

I saw him play against my little bro. My bro was better.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#116 » by crkone » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:44 pm

I got destroyed by Ben Askren in wrestling in 7th grade. :(

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,570

Post#117 » by Harry Garris » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:44 pm

John Long wrote:Met Lamar Odom when he was a Clipper at South West College gym where they used to practice. Saw him in the locker room and all I kept saying in my mind was this dude is tall as f***

Met Elton Brand too. Saw Smush Parker (dude was a total a** hole), Amare Stoudemire (cool dude, a lot skinnier in real life than on TV), Kareem Rush at the Beverly Center. Met Brian Cook and Luke Walton at Best Buy one time, had a nice chat with them...really cool dudes.

No I never played pick up with none of these guys, but I want to be part of the conversation like the other show offs :lol:

I'm in the same boat... I've MET plenty of guys who went on to be drafted through Gonzaga basketball camps growing up, and having worked at the airport in Spokane and the team often got food at the Quiznos where I worked before their flights. Never played against any of them in a game though.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#118 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:21 pm

Yes, but no one here would remember the names.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
GrindCityHustle
Starter
And1: 2,316

Post#119 » by GrindCityHustle » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:33 pm

I was the guy that made the final cut over Jordan in High School. I still get ragged on about it.Years later Jordan did give me a extras role in Space Jam.

However, He did give me a ton of Air Jordan gear which I sold 15 years later for a hefty profit converted into bitcoin which I plan to use to invest into Spencer Dinwiddie's contract.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,255

Post#120 » by deneem4 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:35 am

Played against ad before his growth spurt
He was a guard and he sat in the corners for 3s most of the game...he also wore these big goggles
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!

Return to The General Board