Ever Play Pick Up Basketball with a NBA Pro

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Re: Ever Play Pick Up Basketball with a NBA Pro 

Post#81 » by codydaze » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:41 pm

I never got to play with him but a lot of my friends used to tell me about Bobby Jackson going up to a local gym here in Sacramento. I know he still lives here and everyone has always said he's a cool dude.
Lebrizzy
Junior
And1: 3,244

Ever Play Pick Up Basketball with a NBA Pro 

Post#82 » by Lebrizzy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:46 pm

smallgains wrote:An old girlfriend in high school went to Bermuda or the Bahamas(one of them) and shot around with Kevin Johnson. She said he hardly ever missed and was a real nice guy.

Kevin Johnson banged your girlfriend

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#83 » by El Turco » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:02 am

they had us practice with efes pilsen when i was a wee boy, mehmet okur was there and probably a nba reject or two but dont remember them.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Albo19
Junior
And1: 922

Post#84 » by Albo19 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:10 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Albo19 wrote:
BasketballFan7 wrote:Details?

This is all simply anecdotal, everyone's experience will vary. At my gym, Andre talks excessive trash to his opponents, even to the younger/smaller kids. His crew is very aggressive and will stop the game entirely and hold the ball if they see you taking your phone out at all, strict no-phones policy to prevent pictures or video. You can forget about autographs as well. Also, I have a few friends who work in upper-class restaurants that have told me he tips very poorly/not at all. I simply have not heard of anyone that has had a great experience with him, but this is all anecdotal as I said.

At the end of the day, he's only 21 and likely grew up rather entitled. He will likely get more mature as he gets older.

Short of the part about playing a pickup game with commoners, it sounds like some of the LeBron stories I've read. :lol:

Well LeBron actually tips well from the local stories around Detroit that I have heard. Otherwise, he doesn't put himself in the public like Andre does. LeBron is sort of Obama-esque where all of his activities are private with no public access. However, early in LeBron's career I could probably find similarities to Drummond.
nybluemeadow
Rookie
And1: 508

Post#85 » by nybluemeadow » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:41 am

StarksChoked wrote:i just got back from playing pick up basketball with Isaiah Rider. Probably the only time i ver played with a NBA player. HE was a lot shorter than i thought he would be. I think I'm like 6 to 6'1 and he was about the same height.That dunk through the legs is more amazing now knowing he was lot shorter.

anyone else ever play with a nba pro? Maybe pick up or in high school or college??

Awesome dunks. He looks alot shorter than Kobe who is 6'5 - 6'6 , so i can believe if Rider is only 6'2 with Westbrook or Derrick Rose's athleticism

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXOtzd4kz9s[/youtube]

Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,149

Post#86 » by Def Swami » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:47 am

I once played in a pick up game with Scottie Wilbekin while he was at Florida. So I guess, that counts now?
DS1
Starter
And1: 64

Post#87 » by DS1 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:40 am

I used to play noonball with and against former Miami Heat draftee Jerome Beasley in North Dakota. He would usually coast and still dominate both ends. Then one week two idiots kept talking trash to him all week and finally at the end of the week he decided to bring it and my goodness was it amazing. Fun part is, he only played 5 minutes in the NBA. Thus I cannot imagine how amazing legitimate NBA players would be to play with and against on the court.
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#88 » by theGreatRC » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:48 am

Norman Powell used to go to the 24 hour fitness here in San Diego before he went to UCLA. Cool dude, but never played with or against him. Definitely didn't see him on an NBA squad in the future, he would always come to the gym with 3-4 other guys from Lincoln high school and just murder full court games
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
RealityIsDemar
Rookie
And1: 1,164

Post#89 » by RealityIsDemar » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:56 am

Played against Greivis Vasquez once about a year ago at a local (small) court.

Biggest takeaways where:
-He's HUGE (6'6 but you don't really notice it)
-He DOESN'T SHOOT LAYUPS JUST LITTLE FLOATERS
-Lights out shooter, seriously unlimited range
-Really nice cool dude
-He was soo quick, from move to move you wouldn't even get a chance to react.
Shoutout to Bruno Skull for the sig
blau08
Senior
And1: 136

Post#90 » by blau08 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:09 am

I played with Justin Holiday at UW's IMA gym. He was a legit 6'6".
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#91 » by Komodo » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:59 am

My father in law is from Utah. Once got to shoot around with Stockton and Malone.
StarksChoked
Junior
And1: 109

Post#92 » by StarksChoked » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:06 am

DarthDiggler69 wrote:Its nice to hear some of these pros still go to the park or local gym to play ball with a bunch of regular guys. Also cool to hear they don't take it easy on us

its their profession they take their job serious. I bet them taking it easy on us wannabe hipsters is still light years better than our skills.
They are pros because they take the game serious and don't play around. To them its not just a game.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Post#93 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:18 am

blau08 wrote:I played with Justin Holiday at UW's IMA gym. He was a legit 6'6".

He just signed with the Hawks. They said that he is nothing like his brother, he is a Bruce Bowen type of player. Alot of D and little offense. Also he is thin. You have anymore comments on what you saw from Justin?
jade_hippo
Starter
And1: 135

Post#94 » by jade_hippo » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:19 am

DS1 wrote:I used to play noonball with and against former Miami Heat draftee Jerome Beasley in North Dakota. He would usually coast and still dominate both ends. Then one week two idiots kept talking trash to him all week and finally at the end of the week he decided to bring it and my goodness was it amazing. Fun part is, he only played 5 minutes in the NBA. Thus I cannot imagine how amazing legitimate NBA players would be to play with and against on the court.

Funny! I actually ran into him on campus a few years ago, I first ran into him in the Hyslop lifting, then at the wellness center actually playing. Pretty similar experience, he mostly just set screens, blocked shots, and rebounded, didn't utter a word to anyone unless he had to.

Played HS ball against Rick Rickert, his defense was awful and he was beyond weak, at the time I was 6'1" 175lbs and backed him down. However offensively he was unstoppable, already a blowout at half time he started taking 30+ footers (he finished with like 40pts and 18assists)
blau08
Senior
And1: 136

Post#95 » by blau08 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:16 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:
blau08 wrote:I played with Justin Holiday at UW's IMA gym. He was a legit 6'6".

He just signed with the Hawks. They said that he is nothing like his brother, he is a Bruce Bowen type of player. Alot of D and little offense. Also he is thin. You have anymore comments on what you saw from Justin?

He was able to dunk and was hanging out at the gym with a friend. This was around 2008-2009.
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 5,889

Post#96 » by TeamTragic » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:25 am

Lebrizzy wrote:
smallgains wrote:An old girlfriend in high school went to Bermuda or the Bahamas(one of them) and shot around with Kevin Johnson. She said he hardly ever missed and was a real nice guy.

Kevin Johnson banged your girlfriend

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

She told him the Disney version about how it went down :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Skip2MY
Sophomore
And1: 17

Post#97 » by Skip2MY » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:39 am

My freshman yyear in High School... went to support some of my friends trying out for the basketball team...Christ the King in NY... I went to a different high school. Before official tryouts played a handful of games with Lamar Odom(senior) and Omar Cook(few years in the league before going overseas).

LO... that left hand and versatility was amazing even in just pickup.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,386

Post#98 » by JonFromVA » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:17 pm

Albo19 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Albo19 wrote:This is all simply anecdotal, everyone's experience will vary. At my gym, Andre talks excessive trash to his opponents, even to the younger/smaller kids. His crew is very aggressive and will stop the game entirely and hold the ball if they see you taking your phone out at all, strict no-phones policy to prevent pictures or video. You can forget about autographs as well. Also, I have a few friends who work in upper-class restaurants that have told me he tips very poorly/not at all. I simply have not heard of anyone that has had a great experience with him, but this is all anecdotal as I said.

At the end of the day, he's only 21 and likely grew up rather entitled. He will likely get more mature as he gets older.

Short of the part about playing a pickup game with commoners, it sounds like some of the LeBron stories I've read. :lol:

Well LeBron actually tips well from the local stories around Detroit that I have heard. Otherwise, he doesn't put himself in the public like Andre does. LeBron is sort of Obama-esque where all of his activities are private with no public access. However, early in LeBron's career I could probably find similarities to Drummond.

The stories from LeBron were early in his career - that he'd walk in to a local joint and act like he was doing them a favor by eating there, and that his posse was always around him to look out for him and control every aspect of his engagements with the public.

It's just silly for a person making as much $$$ as a pro baller not to tip well. That's a simple thing to correct once they realize it matters.

Is it really maturing? Or are they just learning how to manage their reputation, better? Hard to say from our POV...
mcwu11
Sophomore
And1: 113

Post#99 » by mcwu11 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:11 pm

Played against Andrew Wiggins in a streetball tournament back in 2005, when he was around 10 years old. Lost to him and his older brother (Nick was his name, I believe) in a close game, granted I had 3 years on him, and probably close to six inches on him. He was already super talented at a young age!
Cmon_Son-_-
Head Coach
And1: 8,734

Post#100 » by Cmon_Son-_- » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:24 pm

Played against Tim Hardaway Jr in Middle School. Also Moe Harkless, Jakarr Sampson and now Dom Pointer while I was at St. John's. Also played against dleague player Shawn Jones and Fab Melo in aau. Played against some ex dolphins players like Jason Taylor, Yerimiah bell and fat ass daunte culpepper
| ̶G̶̶̶i̶̶̶a̶̶̶n̶̶̶n̶̶̶i̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶2̶̶̶1̶̶̶ ̶̶̶ ̶H̶̶̶a̶̶̶r̶̶̶d̶̶̶e̶̶̶n̶̶̶ ̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶ ̶ ̶B̶e̶a̶l̶/̶L̶a̶v̶i̶n̶e̶/̶L̶i̶l̶l̶a̶r̶d̶/̶I̶r̶v̶i̶n̶g̶/̶M̶i̶t̶c̶h̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶3 ̶L̶i̶l̶l̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶2̶.̶0̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶4̶ Jesus 2024| :pray:|

Return to The General Board