Fit for Love?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

DeathLineup
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,175

Fit for Love? 

Post#1 » by DeathLineup » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:25 pm

Michael Pina wrote:Love is an All-Star-caliber forward on a max contract. He's good. But within the context of Cleveland's roster, Frye might be the superior fit. He's a better three-point shooter and a longer defender.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-utah-jazz-channing-frye-trey-lyles-ejection-031516

Does Kevin Love should still be considered as a star in this league? Or is he actually just a role player that might not even a good one?

Which team would be the best fit for Love so he could turn things around? He was so good during his time in Minnesota. Perhaps top 10 NBA player. To the point that Golden State management was bashed for not cashing in "merely" Klay Thompson and Harrison Barnes for him. It's crazy how fast things change.
#thevillain
3Diamantidis
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,301

Re: Fit for Love? 

Post#2 » by 3Diamantidis » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:29 pm

1. Yes, he is a star for me. In cleveland they never knew how to use him.
2. Hopefully for him, he will go to boston.
Kurosawa0
Analyst
And1: 3,276

Post#3 » by Kurosawa0 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:29 pm

Three spots for me make sense:

1. Boston
2. Detroit
3. Denver

All of those teams would be a good fit with Love and could probably do a great job of hiding his weaknesses. They also have the pieces to get a hypothetical deal done.

I do fully expect when the Cavs get knocked out of the playoffs for Love to end up in Boston. Maybe as soon as the draft.
Sorkoram
Senior
And1: 284

Post#4 » by Sorkoram » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:34 pm

The best fit? Boston

He needs a coach & teammates that will utilize his talents effectively. On one hand he's playing with ball-dominant teammates in LeBron and Kyrie, though I know the 3-4 pick and roll has been deadly when used, they don't go to it near enough.

On the other hand, I think him losing so much weight has greatly impacted his ability to establish himself in the post and players are easily able to move him off his spots.

When Cleveland has went to him early in games and he's knocking down his shots, they are extremely tough to defend, but if he's not making his shots early, he seems to get down on himself on both sides of the floor. Since he is not able to rely on his defense when his shot is falling, he takes himself out of games mentally, though his defense has become serviceable.

Teams that could utilize him have to have guards that can slash, but also have above average basketball IQ to find him where he's comfortable.
Buckeye State of Mind.
laploutocratie
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,275

Post#5 » by laploutocratie » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:36 pm

Yes he's a star. Put even Kevin Durant in Love's role with the Cavs and he would look greatly diminished as well.
☘ x XVII

6ixth_Man wrote:When I die, I want the Raptors to lower me into my grave, so they can let me down one last time
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,177

Post#6 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:36 pm

I always thought he was vastly overrated. So, please don't try to pawn him off on my Jazz.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,173

Post#7 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:42 pm

Boston is by far his best fit. I think he can put up the same stats he put up in Minny but on a winner. Stevens would know how to utilize Love. Utah wouldn't be a bad fit either
tcheco
Sixth Man
And1: 1,227

Post#8 » by tcheco » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:43 pm

I don't really think he's an AMAZING STAR, but quite good.

Can't see the fit in boston actually. Could see him doing some damage... in Minnesota? haha
He'll fit right next to Towns, space the floor and work in the paint(since towns also has range)
Devassa
Sixth Man
And1: 1,359

Post#9 » by Devassa » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:47 pm

We don't have nearly the assets to acquire him (unless they want Parsons or Matthews for some reason), but Mark Cuban and Donnie Nelson would kill to have a Dirk replacement for after next season.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,667

Post#10 » by jpengland » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:48 pm

He needs to move for everyone's sake.

LeBron should be playing the 4, Love needs a better system which allows him to get the ball in his spots and play with a defensive 5.

Boston would make sense if they can also find a rim protector.

Jazz make no sense as they aren't giving up Favors IMO (although a straight swap may work if they were willing).

Cuban will go in for him but we have little to offer.

Detroit may be nice. Clippers if they move Blake.
Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,381

Post#11 » by Saul Goodman » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:53 pm

A sign and trade with Houston for Dwight Howard. I think Love can excel as the second option to Harden. Howard's skill set provide a glaring need for the Cavs.
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
FrontPageNews
Starter
And1: 1,474

Post#12 » by FrontPageNews » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:54 pm

He's not a star. He's too soft and weak. He's being exposed in Cleveland. He's getting his shots and looks. He's just not hitting them or he's too hesitant to take them.

Ive never seen a player who gets the ball stripped or blocked in the post as much as he does.
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#13 » by tarantism » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:00 pm

I don't know if they have the pieces to get him, but he feels like a good fit in Orlando to me.
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,833

Post#14 » by naabzor » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:00 pm

People saying Frye is a better fit then Love are drunk or are really overvaluing the value of "fit"
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#15 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:15 pm

I think he needs to play next to a guy like drummond or dwight if we are talking perfect fit.

Love may not look so great next to TT, but I've always thought mozgov was a good compliment to him.
jmnvcavs
Rookie
And1: 947

Post#16 » by jmnvcavs » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:18 pm

Klove and LeBron actually have pretty decent synergy
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,938

Post#17 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:21 pm

Being from Boston I thought he would be a good fit and I think he would have ended up there had the cavs not won the lottery again. He is still a good player but as people have said above he is a third option behind James and Irving.

Regardless cavs are not rebuilding so I don't see Love being moved.
*Insert witty signature here.*
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,667

Post#18 » by jpengland » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:24 pm

tarantism wrote:I don't know if they have the pieces to get him, but he feels like a good fit in Orlando to me.

Would need to.move Vucevic first.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 2,027

Post#19 » by Sugarless » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:35 pm

Offensively he fits on a number of teams, that's out of the question. It's on the defensive end where it's harder to find teams that can live with his lack of length, strength and speed at the PF/C spots. But the guy will still put up some gaudy numbers when he's out of Cleveland and will be looked at as a star again, no doubt about it.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,109

Post#20 » by tidho » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:38 pm

First, thanks to the Golden State fan who started this thread. :roll:

Yes Love is still a star in this league. He is extremely well known, had a number of national commercial spots, and remains an extremely talented player in the league.

He also remains tremendously under/miss used by the Cavaliers, but that has nothing to do with his ability. Channing Frye is a better 3pt. shooter, and if all Cleveland uses Love for is 3pt shooting (which isn't actually true, but fits the narrative you're going for) then Channing is a better option for them.

Return to The General Board