Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players

Moderators: infinite11285, ken6199, Domejandro, -Sammy-, zimpy27, bwgood77, KingDavid, Dirk, jamaalstar21

User avatar
th87
Head Coach
Posts: 6,992
And1: 5,002
Joined: Dec 04, 2005

Re: Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players 

Post#161 » by th87 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:07 am

nomansland wrote:When Durant and Green were both rookies my kids got to go down to courtside while they were warming up. When they came down, Durant went to the other side of the court and sat on the scorer's table. Some of the kids went over for autographs and he signed them but didn't say a word to anyone and looked kind of annoyed about it. Eventually he told one of the ushers to keep the kids away.

Jeff Green, on the other hand, was super nice. Smiling, slapping fives, talking to the kids. For that reason alone I always wanted him to succeed.

My kids went to a Nate Robinson camp and said he was *really* cool.


And this isn't a player but I sat next to Dick Bavetta once on an airplane. Really nice guy.


+1. The nicest guy.
User avatar
packforfreedom
Analyst
Posts: 3,088
And1: 3,582
Joined: Nov 06, 2012
 

Re: Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players 

Post#162 » by packforfreedom » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:10 am

Not direct interaction but I know some people who went to school with Dennis Schröder and they say he was a major douche back then.
collidingNeurons
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,753
And1: 703
Joined: Jul 02, 2004

Re: Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players 

Post#163 » by collidingNeurons » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:21 am

only one I ever met and had an interaction with besides asking for an autograph before games was Don Ameche when he played at Penn State, used to come into the gym and play pickup games with us occasionally and would agree to not shoot anything in the paint since all of us were like 5'10'' to 6 foot tall and he was 6'10, he never took it very seriously but was a good sport and seemed genuinely nice , remember being shocked he had a British accent
Tim Kempton
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,346
And1: 2,486
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players 

Post#164 » by Tim Kempton » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:43 am

Willis Reed: Awesome guy. Went to a Wizards-Nets game in '03 when MJ was with Washington and ended up sitting in the front row for the final quarter of a blowout. Reed was in some front office position with the Nets at the time. I was hoping players would come back out of the tunnel after the game when my dad starts tapping me on the shoulder. I look at him and he says "Willis Reed is behind us." I look up and this dude is an absolute monster. Spoke with him for a few minutes, got his autograph, and took a picture with him. In the picture, you can see his hand literally starting from my shoulder and going down to just above my elbow. Biggest hands I've ever seen.

Walt Frazier: Met him at a convention. Very laid back. Took his time with my friend and I.

Bill and Luke Walton: After meeting Walt, I went to Bill to get his autograph on the same basketball. He was nice and asked a few questions. Luke just got drafted and I wished him luck but didn't want him to sign my basketball since I had two HOFers on it. Felt a bit awkward, but he seemed normal.

Mark Cuban: Met him before a Mavs-Knicks game at MSG. Super nice guy who was BSing with everyone. I made a stupid joke about him working at a Dairy Queen (he had criticized a ref saying he wouldn't hire him to work at Dairy Queen) that he seemed to appreciate/tolerate.

Travis Best: After a game, some kids went to get his autograph but he shooed them away and continued talking to two of his friends. My friends and I started yelling at him to do the right thing and after a minute, he summoned the kids back. Afterwards, he waved us over and gave us autographs that we didn't ask for. Didn't say much.


Other sports:
WWF - Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Tony Atlas, and the Brooklyn Brawler were all super nice. Met them when I was VERY young and still remember them lifting me up and talking to me.
Jimmy Snuka was a complete **** who looked like he wanted to drink bleach rather than be there. Ignored everyone.

NFL - Jumbo Elliott was awesome. After a Giants-Jets preseason game, he took a BBQ out of his trunk, began grilling, and started shooting the **** with everyone in the parking lot.
A relative of mine used to babysit for Warren Sapp. He's a disrespectful **** and a cheapskate.

MLB - Never met him, but John Franco (former closer for the Mets) is a super nice guy. Used to go in to the car dealership where my mom worked and was always super friendly. Took pics and signed autos for anyone that asked.

Met a ton of MMA fighters. Haven't had a bad experience. Some are just meh but none have been awful. Some are extremely nice and humble.
Mike lorenzo
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,281
And1: 261
Joined: May 09, 2020
 

Re: Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players 

Post#165 » by Mike lorenzo » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:20 am

I'm Spanish so few NBA players ... At Space (Disco) in Ibiza, I ran into the Gasol brothers ... My friends and I ... we had taken drugs and we bothered them a little ... I don't remember well, we surely deserved a slap and they were kind ... so they must be good guys ... Footballer, many ... spend the summer in Ibiza and work in security the best?? Ronaldo (the fat man) a party animal. ..I have pictures with Pike .. The best "Famous" that I have known and I have a certain relationship (friend, friends) is not an athlete is ... Nacho Vidal (legendary porn actor) The guy is great ... at least partying
1+1=11
Mike lorenzo
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,281
And1: 261
Joined: May 09, 2020
 

Re: Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players 

Post#166 » by Mike lorenzo » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:23 am

Tim Kempton wrote:Willis Reed: Awesome guy. Went to a Wizards-Nets game in '03 when MJ was with Washington and ended up sitting in the front row for the final quarter of a blowout. Reed was in some front office position with the Nets at the time. I was hoping players would come back out of the tunnel after the game when my dad starts tapping me on the shoulder. I look at him and he says "Willis Reed is behind us." I look up and this dude is an absolute monster. Spoke with him for a few minutes, got his autograph, and took a picture with him. In the picture, you can see his hand literally starting from my shoulder and going down to just above my elbow. Biggest hands I've ever seen.

Walt Frazier: Met him at a convention. Very laid back. Took his time with my friend and I.

Bill and Luke Walton: After meeting Walt, I went to Bill to get his autograph on the same basketball. He was nice and asked a few questions. Luke just got drafted and I wished him luck but didn't want him to sign my basketball since I had two HOFers on it. Felt a bit awkward, but he seemed normal.

Mark Cuban: Met him before a Mavs-Knicks game at MSG. Super nice guy who was BSing with everyone. I made a stupid joke about him working at a Dairy Queen (he had criticized a ref saying he wouldn't hire him to work at Dairy Queen) that he seemed to appreciate/tolerate.

Travis Best: After a game, some kids went to get his autograph but he shooed them away and continued talking to two of his friends. My friends and I started yelling at him to do the right thing and after a minute, he summoned the kids back. Afterwards, he waved us over and gave us autographs that we didn't ask for. Didn't say much.


Other sports:
WWF - Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Tony Atlas, and the Brooklyn Brawler were all super nice. Met them when I was VERY young and still remember them lifting me up and talking to me.
Jimmy Snuka was a complete **** who looked like he wanted to drink bleach rather than be there. Ignored everyone.

NFL - Jumbo Elliott was awesome. After a Giants-Jets preseason game, he took a BBQ out of his trunk, began grilling, and started shooting the **** with everyone in the parking lot.
A relative of mine used to babysit for Warren Sapp. He's a disrespectful **** and a cheapskate.

MLB - Never met him, but John Franco (former closer for the Mets) is a super nice guy. Used to go in to the car dealership where my mom worked and was always super friendly. Took pics and signed autos for anyone that asked.

Met a ton of MMA fighters. Haven't had a bad experience. Some are just meh but none have been awful. Some are extremely nice and humble.

What fighters? Any known ... I am practically from MMA, I joined Yal Cabral, who had some fights in the UFC and my coach, I trained with Werdum many years ago in Madrid
1+1=11
User avatar
FreeThrowLine
Senior
Posts: 614
And1: 1,024
Joined: Jun 12, 2020

Re: Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players 

Post#167 » by FreeThrowLine » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:27 am

I have no problem with players being cold towards fans

I can’t imagine how annoying it would be to constantly have people staring at you, asking you for autographs or selfies or trying to start up conversations when you just want to go about your business

I get that they’re professional athletes and it’s part of the package they ‘signed up for’, but they’re still human and it’s gotta be exhausting constantly having people trying to have a moment with you.

I’m not saying they need to be rude, but I can understand how if you catch them at the wrong time they might come across that way.

At the end of the day, none of these celebrities are better than any of us, they just happen to excel at a particular activity

People need to stop worshipping them and losing their mind if they cross paths.
Golden Knight
Veteran
Posts: 2,608
And1: 3,852
Joined: Feb 27, 2017
   

Re: Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players 

Post#168 » by Golden Knight » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:30 am

collidingNeurons wrote:only one I ever met and had an interaction with besides asking for an autograph before games was Don Ameche when he played at Penn State, used to come into the gym and play pickup games with us occasionally and would agree to not shoot anything in the paint since all of us were like 5'10'' to 6 foot tall and he was 6'10, he never took it very seriously but was a good sport and seemed genuinely nice , remember being shocked he had a British accent

John Amaechi?
Hyaena
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,634
And1: 1,051
Joined: Jan 06, 2012
         

Re: Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players 

Post#169 » by Hyaena » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:14 am

Shook hands with Greivis Vásquez in college (pre-NBA), we were both drunk as hell, he was cool. It was after he hit a game-winner so everyone was congratulating him. He was the BMOC back then (late 2000s going into 2010).

Also met Jordan Williams in college, actually I was a bit of a dick and snuck a picture of him one night. He noticed and understandably was pissed off (so was his crew, including Dino Gregory). I apologized and then they offered to take a pic with me anyway. Cool guys all-around, they easily could have kicked my ass, glad they forgave me... god I was a reckless idiot back then :lol:
User avatar
FreeThrowLine
Senior
Posts: 614
And1: 1,024
Joined: Jun 12, 2020

Re: Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players 

Post#170 » by FreeThrowLine » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:22 am

I was at a Jazz game once and yelled at MJ, you may know the story..

collidingNeurons
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,753
And1: 703
Joined: Jul 02, 2004

Re: Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players 

Post#171 » by collidingNeurons » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:40 pm

Golden Knight wrote:
collidingNeurons wrote:only one I ever met and had an interaction with besides asking for an autograph before games was Don Ameche when he played at Penn State, used to come into the gym and play pickup games with us occasionally and would agree to not shoot anything in the paint since all of us were like 5'10'' to 6 foot tall and he was 6'10, he never took it very seriously but was a good sport and seemed genuinely nice , remember being shocked he had a British accent

John Amaechi?

lol yeah oops not the deceased actor
sikma42
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,788
And1: 2,960
Joined: Nov 23, 2011

Re: Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players 

Post#172 » by sikma42 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:54 pm

Vince Carter was kind of a jackass when he came to my basketball camp (JR Smith and Pops Men's Bonsu were kids at the camp). Maybe it was a bad day.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
Lockdown504090
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,157
And1: 4,014
Joined: Nov 24, 2015
         

Re: Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players 

Post#173 » by Lockdown504090 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:55 pm

I asked kawhi for a photo and uncle Dennis asked me to pay 100 bucks for it. Kawhi was just like, “n**** u weird” and just took the photo and let me try to convince to him to stay in Toronto
TimeisIllmatic
Sophomore
Posts: 187
And1: 25
Joined: Aug 18, 2020
     

Re: Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players 

Post#174 » by TimeisIllmatic » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:10 pm

packforfreedom wrote:Not direct interaction but I know some people who went to school with Dennis Schröder and they say he was a major douche back then.


He's definitely shown his true colors this season.
TimeisIllmatic
Sophomore
Posts: 187
And1: 25
Joined: Aug 18, 2020
     

Re: Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players 

Post#175 » by TimeisIllmatic » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:12 pm

* Back when the Lakers were on Fox Sports, Norm Nixon was doing the pregame stuff for the Lakers. I was able to catch him outside of the Staples and I asked for an autograph. He was very nice and signed my notebook I had.

* I ran into Leon Powe at a mall here in Los Angeles area and he was getting his haircut. Super nice guy.
tsirigoj
Senior
Posts: 722
And1: 378
Joined: Apr 18, 2014
     

Re: Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players 

Post#176 » by tsirigoj » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:27 pm

I had several celebrity encounters (and a few noteworthy ones from friends/families):

Shaq -- My dad owned a restaurant that the occasional celebrity would come to (we were right by a major mall). When Shaq was with the Magic, he and a couple of teammates came through. My dad is an immigrant, didn't watch must basketball, so he had no idea who Shaq was (but realized that this man was, of course, huge). Shaq got the sense from my dad's demeanor (and accent) that he didn't know who he was, so apparently, Shaq laughed it off, gave him some photos he was carrying, and said something like "give this to your kids. They'll know who I am."

Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka -- This also happened at my dad's restaurant. I was a kid (maybe 6 years old), and Superfly came in. My dad told me who he was, although I never watched wrestling. I just remember his frame and massive hands. He said something like, "one day, kid, you'll grow up to be as big as me. Just keep drinking your milk!" This was around the time that his legal trouble was starting.

Jason Kidd -- a family friend of ours has a radio talk show, interviews a bunch of celebrities. He said that after interviewing Kidd, he felt like he had to wash his hands (this was not the first time I heard that Kidd was god awful).

Scottie Pippen -- YEARS ago, my aunt was at a jewelry store, and apparently Pippen was picking out a ring. My aunt said she didn't want to bother him, but he was smiling a lot asking a lot of questions. Just seemed like an overall positive guy.

Darryl Dawkins -- I was a really good basketball player in middle school and in high school until I got myself injured (at my best, I was averaging 22/12. I was an undersized big man, but was too quick for other bigs and had a nice shot. Also, I took pride in my rebounding). I was "invited" to go to a Darryl Dawkins camp, but didn't want to. One evening, I got a phone call, and it was Dawkins telling me how he wanted me at his camp. It was surreal.

Ryan Anderson -- I was in New Orleans in a well known restaurant for an interview for business school. There I was, acting all professional, when all of a sudden, Ryan Anderson walks in! I screamed across the restaurant "oh damn, that's Ryan Anderson." He just looked over at me and smiled.

CJ McCollum -- I went to CJ's rival school and we were a part of the same class year. Freshman year, he was already the best ever in the conference. I was pretty gone during our spring concert, and McCollum was standing right next to me at one point! In my drunk stupor, I just started booing him. He just gave me a funny look and moved along.

Lupe Fiasco -- this is my favorite celebrity story. I was at Mardi Gras, and after a few drinks, I notice Lupe is on one of the floats! I start yelling "oh sh*t! That's Lupe Fiasco!" He points at me, smiles, and starts throwing things (plastic cups) at me. I'm catching them all, so he shouts to me, "you've got good hands, kid!"
User avatar
Beethoven
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,847
And1: 2,416
Joined: May 03, 2012
Location: Utopian Dystopia
 

Re: Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players 

Post#177 » by Beethoven » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:42 pm

I think I mentioned this already in another thread long ago, but I met Mike Bibby back in 2009? at a McDonalds in Costa Mesa CA. He came with his family (not sure) There was another dude that looked like a relative of his, a couple of women (wives or gfs not sure) and several young children and young teenagers (about eight kids in total).
I came up to his table and asked if I can take a picture (not sure why I was not thoughtful of his time as he was in the middle of eating with his family, but that was just how I was back then not thinking clearly in the moment upon seeing a celebrity I guess). He slightly frowned at me and politely told me that he cant sorry, so I said no worries and went back to my table to eat with my wife.

Ten minutes later, a child comes up to our table and told us if we are ready, we can go to see Mike Bibby for a picture. :lol:
So I go to his table with my wife and I shake his hand, he signed a scribble on a napkin, and then took a picture with me that my wife took w her iphone that had a very noticeable no24 Kobe yellow iphone cover on it. :lol:
I still have that picture.

The guy is really tall, I thought he was short, but he at least was 6'3 , when he was standing in line at the mcdonalds he stood out immediately. He is really polite and his family seemed really nice as well.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
DavidSterned
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,411
And1: 2,975
Joined: Feb 18, 2010
         

Re: Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players 

Post#178 » by DavidSterned » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:46 pm

Golden Knight wrote:
collidingNeurons wrote:only one I ever met and had an interaction with besides asking for an autograph before games was Don Ameche when he played at Penn State, used to come into the gym and play pickup games with us occasionally and would agree to not shoot anything in the paint since all of us were like 5'10'' to 6 foot tall and he was 6'10, he never took it very seriously but was a good sport and seemed genuinely nice , remember being shocked he had a British accent

John Amaechi?


:lol: I was like I didn't know the old dude from Cocoon played basketball.
Pointgod
RealGM
Posts: 12,638
And1: 12,428
Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Re: Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players 

Post#179 » by Pointgod » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:47 pm

sikma42 wrote:Vince Carter was kind of a jackass when he came to my basketball camp (JR Smith and Pops Men's Bonsu were kids at the camp). Maybe it was a bad day.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app


Not the first story I’ve heard about Vince being a dick at his basketball camp.
User avatar
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 64,644
And1: 60,080
Joined: May 19, 2012
Location: 403 Minutes in the Bay
   

Re: Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players 

Post#180 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:49 pm

Ran into Kareem at LAX when I was about 17 or 18. Totally fanboyed out and headed briskly towards him not even wanting an autograph just wanted to say hey. He saw me coming, held out his hand and said I appreciate you but I'd like to be left alone. I gave him the guy head nod and stopped and then airline personnel quickly escorted him back into a private area.

Not what I hoped for but I certainly respect his directness. He wasn't rude but he knew if he indulged me he'd have to indulge a bunch of people and didn't want to be bothered.
bondom34 wrote:This is stupid and you know this is stupid.

Return to The General Board