Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

bballfan1three3
Senior
And1: 763

Re: Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players 

Post#221 » by bballfan1three3 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:26 am

ImSlower wrote:
When David Wells was DFA'd from the Padres following a loss to the Cardinals, he was staying at the hotel I worked. I served him a ton of beers, he asked/ordered me to go to the strip club with him and his buddy. It was as insane a night as any Boomer fan would expect. He's terrifying, and also drank more than literally almost anyone I've ever partied with, and that's an absurd amount.

How much to drink is that? Love hearing stories of legendary drinkers, do you have more
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,449

Post#222 » by ImSlower » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:56 am

bballfan1three3 wrote:
ImSlower wrote:
When David Wells was DFA'd from the Padres following a loss to the Cardinals, he was staying at the hotel I worked. I served him a ton of beers, he asked/ordered me to go to the strip club with him and his buddy. It was as insane a night as any Boomer fan would expect. He's terrifying, and also drank more than literally almost anyone I've ever partied with, and that's an absurd amount.

How much to drink is that? Love hearing stories of legendary drinkers, do you have more

Heh well a public message board isn't the best place for specific stories, but he had enough to send any normal human into alcohol poisoning. He's a huge man and is a legendary drinker. I'll PM you some of the finer points for laughs. It's one of my five or so favorite ever drinking stories. He's an absolute madman.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,501

Post#223 » by ibraheim718 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:44 am

Terrence Mathis tried to dunk on me. emphasis on the word 'tried'.
bballfan1three3
Senior

Post#224 » by bballfan1three3 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:51 am

ImSlower wrote:
bballfan1three3 wrote:
ImSlower wrote:

Heh well a public message board isn't the best place for specific stories, but he had enough to send any normal human into alcohol poisoning. He's a huge man and is a legendary drinker. I'll PM you some of the finer points for laughs. It's one of my five or so favorite ever drinking stories. He's an absolute madman.
bballfan1three3
Senior

Post#225 » by bballfan1three3 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:52 am

ImSlower wrote:
bballfan1three3 wrote:
ImSlower wrote:

Ha okay
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#226 » by righterwriter » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:38 am

Met Anderson Varejao at a little private nightclub in Barcelona back in 2004. I went up and said hello and he gave me a big hug and a smile. He didn't speak English really, but tried to have a friendly chat anyway.

Interviewed Dario Saric when he was playing in Zagreb. Very humble and genuine guy who took a lot of pride into wanting to be the best player he could be. What was funny about him was asking him questions like "what do you think about going up against guys you've idolized? How do you think you'll do?" And he immediately admitted that he was nowhere near ready to compete against the best players in the league and had so much work to do before he'd be ready. I liked his honesty and humility.

Ran into him at the World Championships in Prague a year later and he remembered me and said hello.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#227 » by Tomjas » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:40 am

Many years ago, my parents were travelling through Europe and I caught up with them in Milan

My father and I were having a coffee when my reasonably elderly mother walks in with David Beckham

Long story short, she had no idea who he was and asked a young man in the lift for directions to the lounge

He ended up having breakfast with us and had a stack of AC Milan gear delivered to their room for my young son

You could not hope to meet a nicer or more professional person
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,843

Post#228 » by Beethoven » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:31 am

I forgot about this one but not nba ..my wife and I met Kim yu na (Korean figure skater) at the south coast Plaza (Barney's co op when they had it) and I took a picture of her and my wife together (still have that pic somewhere) . This was like 2010 a bit before her Olympic gold.

She was very courteous but seemed a bit aloof. Her mind seemed elsewhere she didn't seem bothered but also not seemed to be pleased either. Not sure if she was just having a day like that or if that was who she was. I remember after she left the Barney's my wife wanted to keep a distance aback and wanted to know where she was going to shop next. Against my feelings about it , we ended up stalking her for about 15 mins in that mall. When Kim turned, my wife would grab me and jump behind a pillar to hide.. dam im sure Kim noticed (it was a not busy weekday afternoon ) that stalking couple following her. :roll:
We are Korean so perhaps that is why Kim didn't react to us dunno ugh
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
KingWing
Junior
And1: 168

Post#229 » by KingWing » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:03 am

I ran into Yi Jianlian back he when played for the Bucks at the Kuala Lumpur airport.

He was with his girlfriend/wife, and no else seemed to take notice of him. I approached him and told him I was an actual Bucks fan, and he seemed a bit surprised by that. He was very polite and didn't mind giving me his autograph.
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Veteran
And1: 6,614

Post#230 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:48 am

makeready wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:In summer in Ibiza it is common to meet celebrities ... do not interact with them, normally ... do not write, some because surely they are unknown in the US ... some anecdotes, that I am remembering ..
A friend used to party with Valentino Rossi, he loved the DC10 disco, and he used to go on Mondays ... disguised as a clown, obviously nobody recognized him and no, he didn't drink water ..
I worked for ...Carl Cox (famous DJ) the guy would weigh like 250 pounds and in the height of summer, with the nightclub to overflowing and suffocating heat, I was dressed in a black Adidas tracksuit, long sleeves ... he seemed like a good guy, attentive with people etc ... and very healthy, he ate rice with chicken at break ... which was not the most usual, in that environment

carl cox is the nicest dj ive ever talked to, i always wondered what DJs who hit that age and are still famous actually get up to. did he party or all business?

Carl Cox is an awesome dude. A true gentleman and truly interested in music and people.

I live in Melbourne, Australia where he lives for half the year. Every year he runs a party at his winery (very small and really hard to get tickets) where people of all ages and their kids come and he plays disco. Kids are kicking soccer balls around while people of all ages (even up to around 70yo) are partying it up. Carl is super friendly with everyone. I used to do a similar line of work for years too so I've met or am friends with a number of relatively well known DJs/producers of the underground dance variety. There are some douchebags for sure but plenty of down to earth people.

I also got to have dinner with INXS (years after Hutchence passed) and they are just normal guys. They'd just joke around and talk about fishing, sport and be genuinely interested in my life too. I brought a 2xLP to dinner with me which was their live set at Wembley in the early 90s in the hopes I could get their signature. When I asked they said sure and I gave it to Jon (the drummer) and he looked at it weirdly. He asked me WTF was it and where did I get it, to which I told him from a second hand music store. Turns out it was a bootleg recording and they never knew it existed. Funnily enough they were still nice enough to sign it, but Jon joked and signed it then in brackets wrote "Fake Signature". So having a bootleg INXS recording signed by the band is pretty cool.

The most known sports person I've met was the same night (Layne Beachley - 7 x World Champion female surfer) as she is married to Kirk Pengilly of INXS and I was sat next to her at dinner. Super chill cool chick. Surfers though I imagine don't get hassled much.

I've met a number of Aussie rules football players, some super nice, some dickheads full of themselves.

Other than that, some people I haven't personally met but have stories:

Matthew Dellavedova - He's the son of my step mums close friend. My dad who I've personally never seen hold a basketball likes to tell me he taught Matthew everything he knows because he had a few shots with him when he was about 10yo in their front yard. Have only heard nice stories about him but given the source being via his mother I'm not surprised. :lol:

Keanu Reeves - Used to date my cousin. Nothing but wonderful words about him even after they split, just that they had their fun and it was time. He's not really money focused and would live quite normally and there would be non cashed cheques of large amounts in random spots about his place. He bought her an expensive motorcycle as she rode but couldn't afford the insurance to keep it after they split.

Deadmau5 - A good friend of mine who shall remain nameless is a well known music producer and DJ. He was telling me that Deadmau5 badly wanted him to do a remix for one of his tracks. My friend said he found Deadmau5 to be a really awkward and strange guy and never felt comfortable around him. He also didn't respect his music and so had to keep hiding from him on the music festival circuit. Said he was chased down for over 6 months about it. :lol:

Jay Kay from Jamiroquai - Another friend of mine did a remix for him/them and Jay was so happy with it he video called them drunk and dancing around the room to the remix. He reckons Jay is as loose as they come but super nice.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,436

Post#231 » by GSWFan1994 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:27 pm

KingWing wrote:I ran into Yi Jianlian back he when played for the Bucks at the Kuala Lumpur airport.

He was with his girlfriend/wife, and no else seemed to take notice of him. I approached him and told him I was an actual Bucks fan, and he seemed a bit surprised by that. He was very polite and didn't mind giving me his autograph.

Jesus Christ, that must be some awesome place where you live in!
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,716

Post#232 » by Pointgod » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:39 pm

Tomjas wrote:Many years ago, my parents were travelling through Europe and I caught up with them in Milan

My father and I were having a coffee when my reasonably elderly mother walks in with David Beckham

Long story short, she had no idea who he was and asked a young man in the lift for directions to the lounge

He ended up having breakfast with us and had a stack of AC Milan gear delivered to their room for my young son

You could not hope to meet a nicer or more professional person

Haha that’s an awesome Beckham story.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,566

Post#233 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:55 pm

Negative

Michael Finley dunked on me in a pickup game. It ruined all my hopes and dreams being humiliated that way. All my friends laughing at me, well to be honest they didn't laugh enough it was absolutely hilarious.

Positive

Playing with Antonio Davis. In this case he didn't dunk on me so that is a plus. In fact his massive strength never hurt me and I steered clear of where he was on the court so that I never got hurt. For that he seems like a swell guy for not hunting me out.

Bill Wennington

He held the door for me going into Maggiano's one day. It was right after the 97 finals and he was having dinner with his family I think. him holding the door for me told me, that simply out of respect I was an important figure to him and I inspired him and the whole Bulls team that season. Or perhaps he didn't;t see me and he was just a gentleman who holds the door for people?

Despite all popular belief I have some good MJ stories by proxy -

First, after Jordan's 3rd season classmate of mines father lived next door to MJ (this was before his Highland Park estate) and he had my friends up there who were going into 5th grade the next year over to the house and they got to play pool and basketball with him. I was invited but my good for nothing father had scheduled a vacation so I wasn't in town. I HOLD NO BITTERNESS OVER THIS AT ALL. Just kidding old man I forgive you, sorta.

MJ Again. I got adopted into a family (long story). The adoptedish father was part of Jordan's security team. He was a huge golfer, he got to work a golf outing with MJ by request where he got to hang out with Jack Nicklaus which was his hero. It was a really nice gesture. Jordan was also know to make eggs for breakfast for may adopted brother (the youngest one). Pops actually is in the last dance but you can't see him, it is the shot of James Jordan's funeral, but he is 5'10" standing behind Jordan lol. You can see his partner though ha!

A customer of mine who is well off was playing at Desert Mountain in AZ. a 2 some was in front of them and they invited them up to play with. That twosome happened to be MJ and Kerry Wood. Thats just more rich people rubbing elbows though and so much a kindness. They ended up both being members of Rich Harvest anyway later.

Another Proxy by Shaq... My sister went to an event in Phoenix that Shaq was at and she got the honor of Shaq blocking her shot lol.
Calamity_Cometh
Sixth Man
And1: 2,122

Post#234 » by Calamity_Cometh » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:57 pm

I never met an NBA star.

My godsister sold jewelry to Teddy Bridgewater while he was here as a Viking, and he was super nice and humble.
Bensonmum
Ballboy
And1: 38

Post#235 » by Bensonmum » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:01 pm

I was once waiting for my girlfriend at Madrid airport and saw a guy who was also waiting for someone and holding a sign with the name Steve Smith on it. I know it's a pretty common name/surname but I remember thinking "how cool would it be if it were NBA ex-player Steve Smith". Then the gates opened and Smitty himself walked into the lounge. I thought about saying something to him but I'm older now and I imagined he would be tired after such a long flight. I am pretty sure I was the only one there who recognized him. I think the Thunder were in town for an exhibition game against Real Madrid and he probably came as an NBA ambassador or to do some broadcasting.

One day I left work and saw a bald guy with glasses jogging around one of the most expensive hotels in Madrid and I was like "Wait, I know that guy". It was Adam Silver. I kept staring at him so at some point he looked at me too and when I realized who he was I said something like "Oh, hello, welcome to our city, I am a big NBA fan". He thanked me and shook my hand. The security guy behind him smiled at me and i figured not many people would approach the commisioner, especially abroad.

When Sabonis Sr. was playing for Real Madrid he once signed an autograph for me at the stadium entrance before some random game. I was a child and I couldn't believe how huge he was. I remember thinking that his head was bigger than my house lol.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,566

Post#236 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:13 pm

Negative

2 bad experiences with John Paxson - just not a nice guy. I had a guy who was selling his first row seats for the Bulls post dynasty for face face value so I would get a few games from him every year. At Carmelo's debut game in Chicago we were sitting next to Scoop Jackson before the game and chatting before the game. Paxson was down glad handing the season ticket holders next to us and when he was leaving I just saw hi John... not is some creepy way (I work with celebrities often Im not so star eyed fan) he looked at us and shook his head and just walked off in disgust. It was more odd than anything.

Last season precovid Paxsonw as at the fan appreciation event and he just wouldn't engage anyone. That being said he was soon to be demoted and I think he knew it. There were fire GarPax billboards across the city etc... I get his standoffishness in both cases and I am kinda the same as a person but he surely wasn't the most likable guy in the world.

Not basketball related but I spent a summer drinking with Dennis Savard, we just happened to be at the same place nearly every night. He was my favorite Blackhawk as a child by a long shot. He was so cool we would sit and smoke then I would leave him alone so he could talk to much much more attractive options. He partiedlile a champ though... then the season started (he was head coach)he was fired 17 games in and replaced by Coach Q (which was the right choice)

Coach Q - No interaction but I designed a system at his house for him. He was shortly fired after

Then Matt Nagy - after his first season with the Bears I was at his house and designed his system, season starts and he almost got fired as it went very poorly. Sooooooo I think I am a coach killer lol. Don';t interact with me if you are a head coach. I am a bad bad bad omen
DeBrick
Rookie
And1: 1,082

Post#237 » by DeBrick » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:15 pm

Durango32 wrote:I saw Brian Scalabrine at a grocery store in Chicago once. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

what a weird story
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#238 » by Tomjas » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:01 am

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
makeready wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:In summer in Ibiza it is common to meet celebrities ... do not interact with them, normally ... do not write, some because surely they are unknown in the US ... some anecdotes, that I am remembering ..
A friend used to party with Valentino Rossi, he loved the DC10 disco, and he used to go on Mondays ... disguised as a clown, obviously nobody recognized him and no, he didn't drink water ..
I worked for ...Carl Cox (famous DJ) the guy would weigh like 250 pounds and in the height of summer, with the nightclub to overflowing and suffocating heat, I was dressed in a black Adidas tracksuit, long sleeves ... he seemed like a good guy, attentive with people etc ... and very healthy, he ate rice with chicken at break ... which was not the most usual, in that environment

carl cox is the nicest dj ive ever talked to, i always wondered what DJs who hit that age and are still famous actually get up to. did he party or all business?

Carl Cox is an awesome dude. A true gentleman and truly interested in music and people.

I live in Melbourne, Australia where he lives for half the year. Every year he runs a party at his winery (very small and really hard to get tickets) where people of all ages and their kids come and he plays disco. Kids are kicking soccer balls around while people of all ages (even up to around 70yo) are partying it up. Carl is super friendly with everyone. I used to do a similar line of work for years too so I've met or am friends with a number of relatively well known DJs/producers of the underground dance variety. There are some douchebags for sure but plenty of down to earth people.

I also got to have dinner with INXS (years after Hutchence passed) and they are just normal guys. They'd just joke around and talk about fishing, sport and be genuinely interested in my life too. I brought a 2xLP to dinner with me which was their live set at Wembley in the early 90s in the hopes I could get their signature. When I asked they said sure and I gave it to Jon (the drummer) and he looked at it weirdly. He asked me WTF was it and where did I get it, to which I told him from a second hand music store. Turns out it was a bootleg recording and they never knew it existed. Funnily enough they were still nice enough to sign it, but Jon joked and signed it then in brackets wrote "Fake Signature". So having a bootleg INXS recording signed by the band is pretty cool.

The most known sports person I've met was the same night (Layne Beachley - 7 x World Champion female surfer) as she is married to Kirk Pengilly of INXS and I was sat next to her at dinner. Super chill cool chick. Surfers though I imagine don't get hassled much.

I've met a number of Aussie rules football players, some super nice, some dickheads full of themselves.

Other than that, some people I haven't personally met but have stories:

Matthew Dellavedova - He's the son of my step mums close friend. My dad who I've personally never seen hold a basketball likes to tell me he taught Matthew everything he knows because he had a few shots with him when he was about 10yo in their front yard. Have only heard nice stories about him but given the source being via his mother I'm not surprised. :lol:

Keanu Reeves - Used to date my cousin. Nothing but wonderful words about him even after they split, just that they had their fun and it was time. He's not really money focused and would live quite normally and there would be non cashed cheques of large amounts in random spots about his place. He bought her an expensive motorcycle as she rode but couldn't afford the insurance to keep it after they split.

Deadmau5 - A good friend of mine who shall remain nameless is a well known music producer and DJ. He was telling me that Deadmau5 badly wanted him to do a remix for one of his tracks. My friend said he found Deadmau5 to be a really awkward and strange guy and never felt comfortable around him. He also didn't respect his music and so had to keep hiding from him on the music festival circuit. Said he was chased down for over 6 months about it. :lol:

Jay Kay from Jamiroquai - Another friend of mine did a remix for him/them and Jay was so happy with it he video called them drunk and dancing around the room to the remix. He reckons Jay is as loose as they come but super nice.

Keanu used to frequent a local restaurant while in Sydney filming The Matrix movies

Very laid back guy who didn’t demand special attention
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,604

Post#239 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:30 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:Terrence Mathis tried to dunk on me. emphasis on the word 'tried'.

Still can't admit he dunked and gave you a whirly . . .

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,102

Post#240 » by SkyHookFTW » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:28 pm

Well, some posters here know I was on the working crew that did Conan the Destroyer, so I worked--and worked out with--with Wilt, Arnold, Grace Jones, Pat Roach (pro wrestling), Sven-Ole Thorsen (power lifter, martial artist), Olivia d'Abo, and Andre the Giant, among others.

Wilt--very nice man and interesting to talk too. The claims about his strength are mostly true. He is strong as, well, you know what. He conformed former Kansas City Chief head coach Hank Stram's story of the informal workout he had for the Kansas City Chiefs, and that Stram would have signed him if the 76ers allowed. Both of us are from Philly, so we had a lot to talk about.

Arnold--Cool guy, he made me be in the movie for 2 seconds because I had big muscles, lol! I die during my two seconds of fame.

Andre the Giant--Super nice guy and world champion drinker. 24 beers is normal for him. No lie here. Oh, he's really big, about one inch shorter than Wilt but about 100-125 pounds heavier. We really don't know how strong he is, just that he is super strong. He told us the story of when the Washington Redskins, now the WFT, asked him to try out for a defensive tackle position. Unfortunately, you could tell he was in pain a lot due to his condition--hence the drinking. Never seemed to be drunk.

Olivia d'Abo--She was only 13 or 14 when she did this movie, and they had her looking hot as hell. I felt dirty just looking at her. Mostly kept to herself and guardians. Trivia: Wilt was her personal unofficial body guard during the shoot, just in case anyone got out of line with her.

Grace Jones: A lovable nut case. Super fanatic about fitness back then.
"It's scarier than Charles Barkley at an all you can eat buffet." --Shaq on Shark Week
"My secret to getting rebounds? It's called go get the damn ball." --Charles Barkley

Return to The General Board