Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,294

Re: Positive/Negative experiences interacting with players 

Post#81 » by Black Jack » Fri Aug 5, 2016 6:08 am

discconnected wrote:about 5 minutes later I hear a car horn, I look up and it is Vince Carter with Tracy McGrady in a SUV.....they are at a stop light and Vince gestures me to come to the car, I was 14 and these were my hero's, I ran to the car excited to meet Vince, as I reached the car Vince laughs at me, rolls up the window and speeds off....this is by far my worst experience because Vince went out of his way to be an **** to me.

damn VC did you dirty 50 cent style Image

Imagine the players locker room version of this thread talking about their latest diss of overeager fans 8-)
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,447

Post#82 » by Slava » Fri Aug 5, 2016 6:55 am

osucavs33 wrote:I met Greg Oden down in Columbus during the 2015 NBA finals at a bar. Everyone at the bar knew who he was but he was just sitting there by himself at the bar. I was wearing a LeBron jersey and was walking back to my seat. He actually pointed at my jersey and stopped me saying "Do you think he can do it by himself this year?". We ended up having about a 5 minute conversation about the Cavs, LeBron, and basketball in general. When talking about LeBron I kept thinking that he should know more about him than I do since he played for the heat the year before, but that is ok. Then at the end he said "Hi, I'm Greg" and shook my hand, and I went back to my seat. Later on Mike Conley came in and joined him at the bar but I didn't get to talk to him. I remember he was a lot shorter than I thought he'd be. I am 6 feet tall and I was around an inch taller than him.

This kind of resonates with what friends who met Oden told me back then that he was really humble and approachable until his rookie year in the NBA. Then people started depressing him by talking about his health and failed NBA career and he started avoiding fans.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,720

Post#83 » by TinmanZBoy » Fri Aug 5, 2016 7:16 am

bigben998 wrote:I used to be involved in the Read to Achieve program. When I would go to the elementary schools, we would usually be there with Moochie Norris, Eddie Griffin, and Jason Collier. Each one was extremely nice and really seemed to care about the kids. Mooch was at every event. The kids loved him. Eddie was kind of shy but seemed like a good guy. It is pretty sad that Eddie and Jason have both passed away. Way too young!

Then I got to meet Dwight last year and he seems awesome as a person. He was very attentive and would take time to answer questions and sign autographs. He then would do his best to entertain whoever is around.

man, I am a little worried about Moochie and Dwight now... :(
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#84 » by MyUniBroDavis » Fri Aug 5, 2016 7:25 am

Basically what I get from this is magic is basically the nicest athlete ever
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Post#85 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Aug 5, 2016 8:30 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:Worked in the media for nearly 20 years, covering everything from high school sports to the NBA. Never dealt with anybody that I liked or respected more than Manu Ginobili. Friendly, courteous, good-natured, intelligent, insightful...I could go on and on. Love that man. Chris Bosh struck me as the same kind of person. Danny Green was awesome, too.

I've always thought Manu came off as really approachable and thoughtful. He strikes me as someone very self-aware and comfortable with himself.

I cannot possibly say enough good things about him. I wish he would become a U.S. citizen and run for president.

Umm -- it doesn't work that way. :)

Senator or governor, however, would be options.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Post#86 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Aug 5, 2016 8:40 am

MyUniBroDavis wrote:Basically what I get from this is magic is basically the nicest athlete ever

He told a story of going to an amusement park with his kids and interacting with so many fans that his son finally asked him "Dad, are you here with them, or with us?"
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
XtotheDeezy
Veteran
And1: 1,790

Post#87 » by XtotheDeezy » Fri Aug 5, 2016 9:00 am

I met Brevin Knight in Vegas once. He was drunk and kept referring to himself in 3rd person going "Brevin Knight! I'm Brevin Knight, baby!" and looking from side to side with a stupid grin on his face.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,163

Post#88 » by ElectricMayhem » Fri Aug 5, 2016 11:15 am

At the end of 5th grade there was a Safety picnic (Is safeties a phrase that is culturally understood throughout the country? Elementary school students who wear orange vests and make sure students are safe walking to school at nearby street crossings?) Anyway, Mid-Michigan in the mid-80s, Steve Smith is the local MSU star. He shows up at the Safety picnic for Lansing-area school safeties. I line up with all the other kids to get his autograph. I wear my brother's MSU pin. If you press a button, it plays the MSU fight song. It comes my turn and I press that button and the fight song proudly blares from my chest. Steve Smith just laughs and signs my notebook. Afterward, I felt a little silly doing it. I was so Ralphie from A Christmas Story. Looking back, I probably would have reacted the same way. Steve Smith is a class act, though.

When I was in college (at Michigan Stage), my now wife and I were shopping at the local supermarket and saw Paul Davis putting anything and everything from the alcohol aisle in his cart. He was about 19 at the time. It pays to be the local superstar, I guess.

I'm the type of person who probably wouldn't even notice if I were in the vicinity of a famous person. Still, if I did notice, I don't think I would ever ask for anything from them. I'm sure they revel in any public time they get where they are not being harassed. But then I thought, after reading this thread, if I'm out with my daughter and I see Shaquille O'Neal, I would totally ask him to pose for a picture where my daughter just beat him at arm wrestling or something. I couldn't not ask.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
3-zx
Freshman
And1: 42

Post#89 » by 3-zx » Fri Aug 5, 2016 3:07 pm

My brother actually shot the "Play Horse with James Harden" Footlocker commercial. He said Harden just kept to himself and his posse most of the time.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Post#90 » by bondom34 » Fri Aug 5, 2016 3:12 pm

Speaking of Harden, not a personal interaction but a guy my dad knew growing up (Mike Rhoades) is the head basketball coach at Rice. Apparently Harden practices on their court sometimes, and he uses it as a recruiting help when guys see him shooting around in the gym.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
onefive
Freshman
And1: 80

Post#91 » by onefive » Fri Aug 5, 2016 3:28 pm

Went to an autograph session for Terrence Ross.. dude won't even look at anyone while signing, didn't smile nor look up and didn't say a word to fans but just nod acted like he didn't want to be there.
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,408

Post#92 » by Mr Loggins » Fri Aug 5, 2016 3:35 pm

Saw Beasley at the Roseville, MN Best Buy buying a moderately priced plasma. Was pretty friendly us regular folk
Hindenburg
Head Coach
And1: 13,854

Post#93 » by Hindenburg » Fri Aug 5, 2016 4:33 pm

Anyone ever run into Jordan?

I keep hearing and reading that he's an awful human being
NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#94 » by NaturalThunder » Fri Aug 5, 2016 4:55 pm

This was before he even got to the University of Arkansas and it became apparent he was an NBA-caliber player, but I used to hangout with Sonny Weems in college. For those not familiar, Sonny was a JUCO player at the University of Arkansas - Fort Smith for two years before going on to play two years at the University of Arkansas. My best friend from high school got a basketball scholarship at the same school and that's where I ended up going to take classes for two years. I pretty much lived with my buddy and his three teammates/roommates in the athlete apartments. Weems wasn't one of his roommates but we'd hangout with him all the time. He was really laid back and chill. If he ever saw me walking around campus he'd give me head nod or tell me hi or talk to me for a bit. I even gave him a ride to places a few times since he didn't have a car.

My only other semi-extended experience was with Corliss Williamson when Corliss was in high school. My dad was a high school basketball coach and used to work a summer basketball camp at Arkansas Tech University which is in the same city as where Corliss went to high school. One summer I stayed down there with my dad and had a few interactions with Corliss. Of course I was in the 3rd grade at the time, so maybe he was just being nice because I was a kid, but he was always laid back and courteous to me.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
bdp31770
Junior
And1: 237

Post#95 » by bdp31770 » Fri Aug 5, 2016 5:06 pm

Having lived in both Knoxville and Atlanta I've run into Allan Houston and Roy Rogers (current Rockets assistant coach) a few times and both were extremely polite and courteous.
Devassa
Sixth Man
And1: 1,359

Post#96 » by Devassa » Fri Aug 5, 2016 5:11 pm

Met Damian Lillard at the Houston Galleria a few months back.. Really cool dude. Seems like a super chill dude but I didn't bug him to much.. Just yelled "Sup Dame!" Like I knew him and he walked over and gave me a fist bump.. Really caught me off guard cause I was basically expecting nothing more than a head nod and for him to keep walking but I thought that was awesome..

Another one from way back in the day was meeting Michael Finley at the movie theatre.. Him and Steve Nash were on a double date and my dad was working security for an extra job there and I tagged along. I don't remember much about Nash but I know my dad chatted and joked with Fin for a long time like they were old buddies... Almost to where they probably walked in late for their movie.. I was shell shocked.. Like meeting Superman in the flesh. (This is before Dallas, and Dirk in particular, were very good... Finley was far and away the best player on the team)
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,618

Post#97 » by infinite11285 » Fri Aug 5, 2016 5:29 pm

Positive: Steve Blake, Juan Dixon, Steve Francis, Kevin Durant, Rudy Gay, and John Wall, Shaq (by far one of the coolest athletes I've ever met), Kobe

Negative: Martell Webster, Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, Dion Waiters

Neutral: Duncan, Melo
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,483

Post#98 » by bwgood77 » Fri Aug 5, 2016 5:31 pm

Steve Nash was cool.
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,530

Post#99 » by Bill Pidto » Fri Aug 5, 2016 5:37 pm

Hindenburg wrote:Anyone ever run into Jordan?

I keep hearing and reading that he's an awful human being

PrivateZer0
Sophomore
And1: 274

Post#100 » by PrivateZer0 » Fri Aug 5, 2016 5:38 pm

Back when Harden was in OKC, I attended the Piston's home opener against OKC. This was during the year McGrady was on the Pistons, aka when they were absolute trash, so it was only me (I was like 16) and one kid standing at the autograph line near the locker rooms tunnels. Harden was the last player off the court, he comes up to us, then says no thanks, and just walks into the locker room. :lol:, made me dislike him a bit, but it is what it is.

On the other hand, not a player, but I did get to meet Craig Sagar before the Pistons-Cavs Game 3 at the Palace, and he is as awesome as everyone says.

Return to The General Board