I am taking my hat off to you, folks

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Marchulenis
Sophomore
And1: 163

I am taking my hat off to you, folks 

Post#1 » by Marchulenis » Thu Dec 8, 2016 1:29 pm

My fellow RealGMers,

Please take a minute and relax, while reading this.
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone of you and tell how much I appreciate being a part of this basketball society - I just give major kudos to everyone of y'all. Many of the topics get so intense and heated, that some of the posts look like you work for some major basketball-related corporation, and I imagine, take up a lot of time to collect the numbers, write your thoughts and stuff.

I was working in the European basketball industry for around six years (I did quit like two months ago or so) and got to meet a lot of important, big people, did a lot of work trying to become something, and I can tell this from bottom of my heart - I am pretty sure that 90% of this board could work as an scout/agent/manager overseas in Europe. You do have way more knowledge than anyone here. They are kids/semi-pros compared to some of you. I have learned way more about basketball management while lurking RGM, than my four years in university AND six years in the industry.

So, sometimes, if the discussions get too heated/deep, please relax and value each other like friends, cause it can be hard to realize what you have here going if you never saw an other way of doing work/discussing/making something, like I did in Europe.

This is a thread where you should all get together and say thanks to each other - even say sorry to your biggest board-enemies. 'Later in life, you will understand that your worst enemy was your best friend'.

Whenever you are writing something, keep in mind, that it could be someone that is trying to learn something. So be responsible for what you are writing, and maybe you will be mentioned as a huge influence for future Auerbach's and Jackson's.
Keep up what you are doing, and if life in the States sucks in a major way, you can always try what it is over the pond, cause I am pretty sure, that with any luck, you could be really successful here. I hope that this board can stay the same, and move forward without any obstacles.
Sorry for my language mistakes - English is not my native language.
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,825

Re: I am taking my hat off to you, folks 

Post#2 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Thu Dec 8, 2016 4:17 pm

Your English is fine. Thanks for this thread. Hats off to you too sir. I hope to have discussions about basketball with you!
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#3 » by King of Canada » Thu Dec 8, 2016 4:31 pm

The average Realgmer is just good at googling
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,558

Post#4 » by ken6199 » Thu Dec 8, 2016 4:38 pm

With the help of bbref, hoopshype, nba.com/stats, lots of reddit, everyone can look like a Daryl Morey in disguise.

Jk. Flattered to see you think highly of us!
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#5 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Dec 8, 2016 5:37 pm

You, Sir, are much too nice for this board.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#6 » by TMU » Thu Dec 8, 2016 5:40 pm

:hug: Is this the thread where we all come together?
jumpstart
Starter
And1: 771

Post#7 » by jumpstart » Thu Dec 8, 2016 5:40 pm

Just remember, the answer to every thread lies with in Lebron James's hairline.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,835

Post#8 » by Duffman100 » Thu Dec 8, 2016 5:42 pm

RealGM, after you sift through the one-liners and drama, is actually an incredible community. I'm proud to have been part of it for 14 years.
ballbrah
Junior
And1: 1,006

Post#9 » by ballbrah » Thu Dec 8, 2016 5:43 pm

Well this thread certainly made me reconsider my career choice.

Anyone else?
http://www.havejerseys.com - Home to your favorite Throwback & Movie Jerseys! Always high quality, always low prices :nod:
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,835

Post#10 » by Duffman100 » Thu Dec 8, 2016 5:44 pm

ballbrah wrote:Well this thread certainly made me reconsider my career choice.

Anyone else?

One of my regrets in life was being told, at 21, that I couldn't get into the NBA community (scout, coaching) and actually believing those people.
davidfr94
Senior
And1: 500

Post#11 » by davidfr94 » Thu Dec 8, 2016 5:49 pm

Thank you for this

Yeah sometimes it seems like we are taking this game too seriously
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Post#12 » by tsherkin » Thu Dec 8, 2016 6:06 pm

Lovely sentiment. Thank you for this :)
Augusto61
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,862

Post#13 » by Augusto61 » Thu Dec 8, 2016 6:38 pm

I feel the same, man. I see the RealGM community as a family. I live in a country where people only talk about soccer (Brazil) and when I want to talk about the sport I love there's always you to debate, joke and talk some trash of course, haha. I hope this community grows even more with time.
it's only after we've lost everything that we are free to do anything
Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,201

Post#14 » by Mister Ze » Thu Dec 8, 2016 6:45 pm

Great post OP. I also like how basketball fans can come together on this forum, it makes watching the game a lot better.

After I got out of HS/Uni I don't get the chance to discuss ball as much with other fans. Not enough people at work understand that ball is life. This site is a great way to replace that experience.

TMU wrote::hug: Is this the thread where we all come together?

*Draws a tear and quickly exits the web browser
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#15 » by eagereyez » Thu Dec 8, 2016 6:52 pm

King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#16 » by King of Canada » Thu Dec 8, 2016 7:06 pm

Marchulenis wrote:My fellow RealGMers,

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone of you and tell how much I appreciate being a part of this basketball society - I just give major kudos to everyone of y'all. Many of the topics get so intense and heated, that some of the posts look like you work for some major basketball-related corporation, and I imagine, take up a lot of time to collect the numbers, write your thoughts and stuff.

I was working in the European basketball industry for around six years (I did quit like two months ago or so) and got to meet a lot of important, big people, did a lot of work trying to become something, and I can tell this from bottom of my heart - I am pretty sure that 90% of this board could work as an scout/agent/manager overseas in Europe. You do have way more knowledge than anyone here. They are kids/semi-pros compared to some of you. I have learned way more about basketball management while lurking RGM, than my four years in university AND six years in the industry.

So, sometimes, if the discussions get too heated/deep, please relax and value each other like friends, cause it can be hard to realize what you have here going if you never saw an other way of doing work/discussing/making something, like I did in Europe.

This is a thread where you should all get together and say thanks to each other - even say sorry to your biggest board-enemies. 'Later in life, you will understand that your worst enemy was your best friend'.

Whenever you are writing something, keep in mind, that it could be someone that is trying to learn something. So be responsible for what you are writing, and maybe you will be mentioned as a huge influence for future Auerbach's and Jackson's.
Keep up what you are doing, and if life in the States sucks in a major way, you can always try what it is over the pond, cause I am pretty sure, that with any luck, you could be really successful here. I hope that this board can stay the same, and move forward without any obstacles.

What do you think of Mindaugas Kuzminskas? As a Knicks fan I can tell you we're loving this guy. Seems like a really nice genuine guy, and is a pretty smart basketball player.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
janmagn
Starter
And1: 341

Re: RE: I am taking my hat off to you, folks 

Post#17 » by janmagn » Thu Dec 8, 2016 7:13 pm

Marchulenis wrote:My fellow RealGMers,

How did you get to the industry in the first place?

Lähetetty minun LG-H440n laitteesta Tapatalkilla
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#18 » by PKABOOICU » Thu Dec 8, 2016 7:13 pm

Marchulenis
Sophomore
And1: 163

Re: RE: I am taking my hat off to you, folks 

Post#19 » by Marchulenis » Thu Dec 8, 2016 7:35 pm

janmagn wrote:How did you get to the industry in the first place?

Lähetetty minun LG-H440n laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Honestly? I grew up in an all-basketball family. My mother and her sister played for Women's NT, while my both sisters played there too.
And my father created pro basketball in my hometown. So I did not really have an other choice. I was basically growing up in the basketball office and the court.

King of Canada wrote:What do you think of Mindaugas Kuzminskas? As a Knicks fan I can tell you we're loving this guy. Seems like a really nice genuine guy, and is a pretty smart basketball player.

You wanna hear a crazy story? And there is a pretty big chance you won't believe it.

He became the player he is right now because of my father and me.
My father knew his family - he has an older brother, Saulius Kuzminskas, 6'11, strech 5 basically. He was born in 82 - and my father's team signed him when he was young and started to get along with his family. Saulius had a lot of potential, but I think he tried to go to higher level too soon and was not really ready for it mentally.
So few years have passed... and Mindaugas is 17. 07-08 season if I remember correctly. Dude is like skinny. Like really skinny, he is fat right now compared to then. He was playing for Lithuanian D2 team, averaging like 7 points (lol) and his father phoned my father - 'You tryna watch my son?'. So he gave it a chance. Kuzminskas went for... 2 points. My pops did not gave up on him so easily. He was collecting a Lithuania Select Team for a trip to China, for some tournament, with all-vets who just wanted to do something through out the summer. And he also took Saulius and Mindaugas. Mindaugas did extremely well that tournament - I think, if I remember correctly - he had 18 against CHINA NT with Yao. While being so young. So after that, he signed him to a multi-year deal. And he blew up somehow. Averaged 9 points the first season. Zalgiris, the best team over here signed him, and loaned him for us for one more year. He averaged 16 that season, and well, the rest is history. Future NBA player barely got his first real pro contract. Just out of fatherly love, and another father understood how much his father believed in him.
And yeah, I know him personally. Or knew, it's been awhile since I talked to him.
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,234

Post#20 » by Tracymcgoaty » Thu Dec 8, 2016 7:37 pm

This is like remember the Titans...the scene where Denzel is at the graveyard/woods talking about needing to come together. im feeling it damn STRONG SIDE SON
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”

Return to The General Board