NBA Media Thread Pt X - for videos, GIFs, podcasts unrelated to current threads

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Biff
Starter
And1: 1,181

Re: Wilt Chamberlain 78 points highlights 

Post#341 » by Biff » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:22 pm

70sFan wrote:I'll never ever post any thread here. I just posted one of the purest gold in NBA history - Wilt 2nd highest scoring game highlights - and all you can say is that he played in weak era against scrubs? Really? That's beyond ignorant and disrespect. It's just lack of appreciation of the basketball.

Instead of comparing him to modern players, just forget about it and enjoy greatness.

I simply don't find this kind of performance all that impressive. Wilt scored at least 50 against the Knicks damn near every single time he played them his first few years in the league He also scored 100 points and 67 points in games against them the previous year. Wilt was no doubt one of the 3 best centers to ever play the game but a lot of his numbers are super inflated because of the lack of competition and inflated pace. Wilt's career playoff PPG is 22.5, almost 8 points lower than his regular season average. Competition was much tougher in the playoffs.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,458

Post#342 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:24 pm

70sFan wrote:I'll never ever post any thread here. I just posted one of the purest gold in NBA history - Wilt 2nd highest scoring game highlights - and all you can say is that he played in weak era against scrubs? Really? That's beyond ignorant and disrespect. It's just lack of appreciation of the basketball.

Instead of comparing him to modern players, just forget about it and enjoy greatness.

I do enjoy the random videos (that looked good enough equality for the full game to be watchable, available?). But you can't watch that and not expect the play to be mocked a bit. This is why people struggle with wilt's stats, he was playing in THAT era.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#343 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:25 pm

Yallbecrazy wrote:Wilt played in an era with many dominant centres (almost every team in the league had 1), he seemed to do this whenever he didn't have to go against a superstar.

League only had like 8 or 10 teams back then, so the talent wasn't watered down at all. One point that people who laugh at the game back then seem to forget.

What if there was only talent enough for 2 teams? The talent pool today just by expanding outside the US is likely 5-10x what it was then and salaries are such that few could consider saying no.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,501

Post#344 » by 70sFan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:26 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:

I do enjoy the random videos (that looked good enough equality for the full game to be watchable, available?). But you can't watch that and not expect the play to be mocked a bit. This is why people struggle with wilt's stats, he was playing in THAT era.

What looks bad in the video I posted (other than camera work)?

I'd love to see full game!
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#345 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:28 pm

70sFan wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

What looks bad in the video I posted (other than camera work)?

I'd love to see full game!

I was saying it was watchable video quality. Some of the older games are so grainy it's brutal to watch on youtube.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,703

Post#346 » by Yallbecrazy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:46 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Yallbecrazy wrote:Wilt played in an era with many dominant centres (almost every team in the league had 1), he seemed to do this whenever he didn't have to go against a superstar.

League only had like 8 or 10 teams back then, so the talent wasn't watered down at all. One point that people who laugh at the game back then seem to forget.

What if there was only talent enough for 2 teams? The talent pool today just by expanding outside the US is likely 5-10x what it was then and salaries are such that few could consider saying no.

Maybe for guards and forwards, I don't know. Definitely not for centres.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#347 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:48 pm

Yallbecrazy wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

The problem is that the centers looked amazing because they were playing against those guards and forwards. Or at least that's what I see when i watch some of those older games.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,703

Post#348 » by Yallbecrazy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:52 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Yallbecrazy wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

The problem is that the centers looked amazing because they were playing against those guards and forwards. Or at least that's what I see when i watch some of those older games.

They were also playing directly against those centres.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#349 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:23 pm

Yallbecrazy wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Yallbecrazy wrote:

Not sure why that matters. Team defense wasn't illegal back then. The idea that we should judge players based on one on one match ups is just silly, and so often comes up here. I'm much more interested in who and how help defense is used than just in a one on one, especially with big men. After all a good offensive player should always win one on one over the long haul.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,501

Post#350 » by 70sFan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:43 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
Yallbecrazy wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Not sure why that matters. Team defense wasn't illegal back then. The idea that we should judge players based on one on one match ups is just silly, and so often comes up here. I'm much more interested in who and how help defense is used than just in a one on one, especially with big men. After all a good offensive player should always win one on one over the long haul.

Unless your opponent is Nate Thurmond. Then you can only beg for next night... ;)
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,976

Re: NBA Media Thread Pt X - for videos, podcasts unrelated to current threads 

Post#351 » by PerkinsFor3 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:02 pm

Read on Twitter
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,173

Post#352 » by rockmanslim » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:58 am

click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

Zingod
Rookie
And1: 895

Post#354 » by Zingod » Wed Dec 6, 2017 8:03 pm

nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#355 » by nolang1 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 6:32 am

Interesting thing I heard towards the end of the latest Woj Pod with Jonathan Givony. They were talking about the NBA potentially allowing high schoolers into the draft again and what would be the ramifications in terms of players deciding between big-time college basketball and the G League and Givony said:

I had drinks with a college coach not too long ago who - one of his players was drafted in the lottery and is extremely young - he told me that he talks to that guy every single day and the kid tells him every day, "I made a huge mistake. I don't know why I was in such a rush to leave. I'm the youngest guy on the team, I'm not playing, I don't have a life, all I do is play Playstation all day. Why was I in such a rush to leave college basketball?"

I'd be 99.9 percent certain this is referring to Zach Collins.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,301

Post#356 » by Dr Aki » Sat Dec 9, 2017 7:38 am

Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,201

Post#358 » by Mister Ze » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:40 pm

Pacers president of basketball ops has decided to dig up old tweets during the time of the Oladipo trade to poke fun at those who were critical of his move.

PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,976

Post#359 » by PerkinsFor3 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:19 am

Read on Twitter
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,301

Post#360 » by Dr Aki » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:42 pm

PerkinsFor3 wrote: