Is Nikola Jokic a franchise level talent?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

mcmurphy
Starter
And1: 1,843

Re: Is Nikola Jokic a franchise level talent? 

Post#761 » by mcmurphy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:41 pm

KrisPol wrote:
mcmurphy wrote:
KrisPol wrote:
Over the last month Towns is averaging 28,7 points
In that span Jokic is averaging 23, 6

You are right!
Towns is better because in 6 games has 5 pts more.

I still prefer the Jokic records 3W-2L (2 games at Home and 3 on the Road).
Towns record 1W-5L (4 games at Home and 2 on the Road).

I meant last 30 days, not in february.

even better

38mpg, 28.7 ppg, 12.0 reb, 2.6 ast, 7W-8L

30.8 mpg, 23.6 ppg, 10.3 reb, 5.3 ast, 9W-4L (2 games has been blow-out, LAC and DAL, with only 21 mpg and 24 mpg and no 4th quarter minutes)
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,619

Post#762 » by Johnny Firpo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:45 pm

reignfire wrote:the fact that Jokic plays 26 mpg is not a good thing. People act like he's playing that because he's being protected or whatever. The reason why is he's a terrible defender and foul prone.

It's entirely on Malone, and he is an above average, good defender. For Pete's sake people, don't let your bias cloud your judgement. The kid was second in DRPM at his position last year, and a plus defender this year, way ahead of Towns for example. There is no empirical evidence that he is a bad defender, if you are saying that he is a bad defender, I can't help but to think that you have something against Euros. It's almost as bad as saying that Rubio is a bad defender. It's lazy, it's stereotypical.
GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man
And1: 793

Post#763 » by GlenRiceARoni » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:14 pm

It's just racial bias.

Jokic is white so people assume he's unathletic and a poor defender.

Reality doesn't matter to casual NBA fans

-----------------------------------------------------------------------Hinkie has created a monster that will awaken in 2018 precisely 200 years after Mary Shelley published Frankenstein in 1818 A.D.
I don't think for a second this is coincidental as Hinkie is well educated and a fan of Classic British Lit
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#764 » by youngcrev » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:22 pm

GlenRiceARoni wrote:It's just racial bias.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------Hinkie has created a monster that will awaken in 2018 precisely 200 years after Mary Shelley published Frankenstein in 1818 A.D.
I don't think for a second this is coincidental as Hinkie is well educated and a fan of Classic British Lit

He certainly doesn't look all that athletic to me...
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#765 » by The Rebel » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:37 pm

youngcrev wrote:

He don't jump high or run fast, but he does have deceptive lateral quickness and a good 1st step.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#766 » by Alfred » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:44 pm

People aren't being racist when they say Jokic isn't athletic. He has the athleticism of Zach Randolph, which is to say he looks like he can barely dunk.

Like Zach, it obviously doesn't matter very much, as he is dominant offensively.
cjx
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,458

Post#767 » by cjx » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:04 pm

Jokic demolished Porzingis, that ends that debate, bring on the next opponent, you kno wut time it is, homies!

NJ > KP, case closed, bag the body!!
Take a couple of minutes and check out this comic book, my friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/574101710/the-assemblage-issue-1a-courage-and-no-more-crises
Baseline Runner
Analyst
And1: 1,067

Post#768 » by Baseline Runner » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:50 pm

Alfred wrote:People aren't being racist when they say Jokic isn't athletic. He has the athleticism of Zach Randolph, which is to say he looks like he can barely dunk.

Like Zach, it obviously doesn't matter very much, as he is dominant offensively.

He has such a soft touch and he has a quick release that he is able to do these little 5 foot shots that most players aren't comfortable taking (nor do they have the height advantage to get the shots off). Scoring wise he reminds me of Moses Malone.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#769 » by Johnlac1 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:23 pm

I watched the Denver-Knicks game last night. That is the very first almost full game I've watched Jokic, and I'm still amazed. It appears he has about four arms instead of two. I checked his wingspan, and it's for a 7'3 player. Combine that with his excellent shooting touch and bb IQ, and that might explain a lot of his success. Porzingis is listed as four inches taller, but as strange as it seems Jokic looks about as long.
Again, it doesn't look like he can run or jump, but he's always open and putting the ball in the basket. It's like a magic trick. But he is doing it.
yannisk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,718

Post#770 » by yannisk » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:41 pm

After I saw this, every time Jokic plays I watch his highlights

[url][/url]
Johnny Firpo
RealGM

Post#771 » by Johnny Firpo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:53 pm

What Jokic is doing around the basket, might be as special as Curry's three point shots. He is basically shooting one armed, standing tear drops over centers, often not even bringing down the ball before shooting it. He is long, and so quick with his hands that no defender has any real chance of blocking him, despite the fact that he is not even jumping on a lot of these shots.

If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense why he looks like an unguardable player, because he takes unguardable shots. I mean, the only chance a defender has to block these shots, if he instantly commits and jumps as high as possible, but with Jokic's ball handling, he would obviously kill those guys easily. So the only thing left is staying your ground, and putting up your hand like it makes any difference. It doesn't, whether the shot goes in or not, comes down entirely to Jokic, similar to Curry's three point shots. What a unique player.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM

Post#772 » by Johnny Firpo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:55 pm

Alfred wrote:People aren't being racist when they say Jokic isn't athletic.

I don't think anybody said that. We were talking about the "he is a white Euro therefore bad defender" stereotype, not athleticism. And that stereotype is extremely common.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#773 » by youngcrev » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:03 pm

The Rebel wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

He don't jump high or run fast, but he does have deceptive lateral quickness and a good 1st step.

Sure... just saying, the agenda that people say he's no very athletic just because he's white is a bit of a stretch.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#774 » by Alfred » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:15 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:
Alfred wrote:People aren't being racist when they say Jokic isn't athletic.

I don't think anybody said that. We were talking about the "he is a white Euro therefore bad defender" stereotype, not athleticism. And that stereotype is extremely common.

GlenRiceARoni wrote:Jokic is white so people assume he's unathletic

Like, I and other people aren't assuming he's unathletic because he's white. We are making the observation that he is unathletic because he's unathletic.
Spalato
Junior
And1: 335

Post#775 » by Spalato » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:22 pm

Jokic loved playing water polo as well with his friends and brothers. It explains his one handed shots and his knack of creating space with only his arms.

Which tells me this could be the beginning of even more skills being introduced to the game of basketball. The way Jokic plays is very efficient, which could help other players cope with the rigours of the long NBA season by preserving energy and preventing injuries.

He's also great at deceiving players with his change of speed when defenders are offguard. His does this by pretending to be slower than what he really his, then when the defenders think they got nothing to be worried about, he explodes. A skill taken from soccer - not new in the NBA - but not utilized as much as it should.

A revolutionary player in many ways.
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#776 » by Ignitowsky » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:03 am

cjx wrote:Jokic demolished Porzingis, that ends that debate, bring on the next opponent, you kno wut time it is, homies!

You do realize that was KP's first start at center EVER? He clearly isn't strong enough to play the 5, and that experiment failed.

I thought NJ looked terrific last night, but everybody does against the Knicks. I think KP is a better two-way player, has a much more varied skill set, is much more athletic, and will ultimately end up being the better player, but yeah if you want to go by one game NJ will be the GOAT, at least on offense.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
cjx
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,458

Post#777 » by cjx » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:59 am

Ignitowsky wrote:
cjx wrote:Jokic demolished Porzingis, that ends that debate, bring on the next opponent, you kno wut time it is, homies!

You do realize that was KP's first start at center EVER? He clearly isn't strong enough to play the 5, and that experiment failed.

I thought NJ looked terrific last night, but everybody does against the Knicks. I think KP is a better two-way player, has a much more varied skill set, is much more athletic, and will ultimately end up being the better player, but yeah if you want to go by one game NJ will be the GOAT, at least on offense.

There is Insufficient data to justify the proposition that KP will ultimately end up better than Jokic.

NJ > Ignitowsky, who's next on the hit list, folks?
Take a couple of minutes and check out this comic book, my friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/574101710/the-assemblage-issue-1a-courage-and-no-more-crises
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#778 » by Ignitowsky » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:26 am

cjx wrote:
Ignitowsky wrote:

There is Insufficient data to justify the proposition that KP will ultimately end up better than Jokic.

And there is insufficient data to support the proposition that Jokic will be better than Porzingis. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. Eventually we will find out.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#779 » by The Rebel » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:33 am

Ignitowsky wrote:
cjx wrote:
Ignitowsky wrote:You do realize that was KP's first start at center EVER? He clearly isn't strong enough to play the 5, and that experiment failed.

And there is insufficient data to support the proposition that Jokic will be better than Porzingis. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. Eventually we will find out.

You mean other than the fact that Jokic is already considerably better?
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#780 » by ChaosHamster » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:55 am

The Rebel wrote:
Ignitowsky wrote:
cjx wrote:

You mean other than the fact that Jokic is already considerably better?

Lose the considerably.

I mean, in the past two month Jokic played best basketball in his NBA career, where KP arguably his worst.

I like how people just scratch out first 25-30 games where Jokic was averaging 10ppg, while Porzingis was scoring 20+.

And I know.. Melone, foul trouble etc. But now when KP is constantly losing minutes because of constant foul trouble and is playing for the most dysfunctional team in the league, it doesn't matter.

Return to The General Board