Danny Ainge as a General Manager (drafts)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,776

Re: Danny Ainge as a General Manager (drafts) 

Post#81 » by jc23 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:01 am

imo the Brooklyn trade is more about how stupid billy king and prokoraov are more then the genius of ainge.
Be curious, Not judgmental
Turgon
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,607

Post#82 » by Turgon » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:15 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Celtics need to pull the trigger on trading assets for a franchise player or they may as well tank and load up on draft picks, what's the point of being a playoff team while getting rebuild pieces?

This is the perfect example of uninformed posters sharing their opinion on this thread.

The Celtics are one of the youngest teams in the league, are looking at a top 4 draft pick this year, have another potential top pick next year, this year's #3 pick only 19 years old that has been showing great flashes, two other first round picks stashed, one of which has been playing magnificently under Blatt and will probably get 50+ wins this year.

Yet, we seemingly need more draft picks, and to tank on top of it! Yes, great strategy there. And this is the kind of poster criticising Ainge!
Clutch31
Sophomore
And1: 76

Post#83 » by Clutch31 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:30 pm

Gurton Buster wrote:
Clutch31 wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:
People who say his drafting is bad never give any reasoning behind it or site examples.

Valid point, but for a gm that has had so many draft picks there's not one that even comes close to a draft steal. It has nothing to with him not having many lottery picks, because gems can be found in every draft. I'm not saying he's a bad gm, in contrary, i think he's been great for the organization, but some aspects he could have done better in my opinion.

Drafting rondo late in the first round, an all star, must've slipped ur mind right... smh. Drafting tony allen late in the first round must've just gone over your head too.

almost everybody in the gb has their personal bias against the celtics and its clouding y'alls judgement, but its cool.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I'm sorry, but it seems like you're mixing up a few things. I got nothing against the Celtics, actually i hope a historic team like that does well, it's good for the sport. But our opinion is being asked about your GM. I think he's done great things in trades, but i think his drafting is not that good. And yes Rondo and Allen are good players to be found where they were drafted, no one will deny that, but with so many picks, you're might find something once in a while.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,931

Post#84 » by zimpy27 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:47 pm

Turgon wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Celtics need to pull the trigger on trading assets for a franchise player or they may as well tank and load up on draft picks, what's the point of being a playoff team while getting rebuild pieces?

This is the perfect example of uninformed posters sharing their opinion on this thread.

The Celtics are one of the youngest teams in the league, are looking at a top 4 draft pick this year, have another potential top pick next year, this year's #3 pick only 19 years old that has been showing great flashes, two other first round picks stashed, one of which has been playing magnificently under Blatt and will probably get 50+ wins this year.

Yet, we seemingly need more draft picks, and to tank on top of it! Yes, great strategy there. And this is the kind of poster criticising Ainge!

My opinion is different from yours, you seem as uninformed to me as I to you.

Celtics are in an unusual position to have high value picks and a good team. That advantage they have is only valuable if they use it. Either you win now with team you have by loading on star talent or you win later by rebuilding and using the extra draft picks to get two top prospects a year instead of the one that most rebuilding teams get.

If they don't reach the finals in the next 4 years then they may as well have just been a rebuilding team. This advantage they have may boil down to a decade of being good but never good enough as opposed to a few years stretch of dominance.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#85 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:31 pm

Turner4MVP wrote:
Year Round Pick Name
2016 1 3 Jaylen Brown Too early to tell, but I think the Celtics are the best team in the league with a rookie making this many contributions.
2016 1 16 Guerschon Yabusele Hard to judge this pick right now. Evidence, while mainly on the favorable side, isn't very reliable.
2016 1 23 Ante Žižić Looking like a big win, but it's obviously too early to really tell.
2015 1 16 Terry Rozier Based on the trade interest, this pick seems to have been a success.
2015 1 28 R. J. Hunter Bust.
2014 1 6 Marcus Smart Very controversial right now. I think it was a success.
2014 1 17 James Young Bust unless he winds up as a trade throw-in.
2013 1 16 Lucas Nogueira Olynyk, actually. Successful pick, although people hate it since he could have had Giannis.
2012 1 21 Jared Sullinger Modest success for that place in the draft.
2012 1 22 Fab Melo Bust. RIP.
2011 1 25 MarShon Brooks Failed pick -- but technically he was part of the trade for IT.
2010 1 19 Avery Bradley A big hit.
2008 1 30 J. R. Giddens Lousy pick.
2007 1 5 Jeff Green Traded. Not his pick.
2006 1 7 Randy Foye Traded. Not his pick. He used one pick that year, and it was on Rondo.
2005 1 18 Gerald Green Not a big hit. Wound up as a trade throw-in, IIRC.
2004 1 15 Al Jefferson 3-3. Al was a huge win, because pre-injury he was the piece that secured Kevin Garnett.
2004 1 24 Delonte West
2004 1 25 Tony Allen
2003 1 16 Troy Bell Two firsts that year became Kendrick Perkins and Marcus Banks. 1-2.
2003 1 20 Dahntay Jones
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Turgon
Assistant Coach

Post#86 » by Turgon » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:41 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Turgon wrote:

Celtics are in an unusual position to have high value picks and a good team. That advantage they have is only valuable if they use it. Either you win now with team you have by loading on star talent or you win later by rebuilding and using the extra draft picks to get two top prospects a year instead of the one that most rebuilding teams get.

If they don't reach the finals in the next 4 years then they may as well have just been a rebuilding team. This advantage they have may boil down to a decade of being good but never good enough as opposed to a few years stretch of dominance.

You are perfectly entitled to an opinion. But if you want to criticise others than you also subject yourself to criticism.

We do not need to win now. This is what a lot of posters like you don't get. We are still a rebuilding team, even if we are enjoying some success. We do not need any more picks, we have six first round picks over the next 3 years, with at least two of them possible jackpots. Our oldest important player is Horford, 30 years old. IT is 28. Crowder and Bradley 26. KO is 25. Smart and Rozier are 22. Jaylen and Zizic (if his game translates to the NBA) are 20. That's 9 core players and only one of them is 30. And for those who think Ainge doesn't know how to draft take note: the 6 youngest players there were picked by him.

And on top of that, we can sign someone to a max contract next summer if we really want to!

So, yeah. We don't need to win now. And with the Cavs and the Warriors as strong as they are we can afford to wait. If a good deal comes along we will look into it. But we have absolutely zero incentive to overpay.
zronv7
Starter
And1: 1,191

Post#87 » by zronv7 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:10 pm

Ainge excels at trading and managing his franchise, he can not control the outcome of who he drafts
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,134

Post#88 » by Froob » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:15 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Luke Harangody......Say no more

That was a 2nd round pick lol (and laaaate in the 2nd round too 52nd pick out of 60), we are really dogging guys for 2nd round failures?

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#89 » by Mylie10 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:39 pm

I was rooting for Luke! He was a stud at Notre Dame.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
vct33
Veteran
And1: 839

Post#90 » by vct33 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:01 pm

Ainge hasn't done that poorly in the draft. Nobody hits on all their picks. Especially outside the top 10. If you look at his last five top picks, it's hard to complain about them. Jaylen Brown - 3rd, Terry Rozier - 16th, Marcus Smart - 6th, Jerred Sullinger - 21st, Avery Bradley - 19th.
I brings the ruckus to the ladies!
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,779

Post#91 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:24 pm

vct33 wrote:Ainge hasn't done that poorly in the draft. Nobody hits on all their picks. Especially outside the top 10. If you look at his last five top picks, it's hard to complain about them. Jaylen Brown - 3rd, Terry Rozier - 16th, Marcus Smart - 6th, Jerred Sullinger - 21st, Avery Bradley - 19th.

Why is it that people have amnesia about the Olynyk pick in 2013 (instead of Giannis)?
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#92 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:41 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Turgon wrote:

That makes very little sense.

The only benefit to becoming a losing team is to acquire a top draft pick. Objectively speaking, it is superior in every sense of the word to be a good team with a top pick than a bad team with a top pick. Other than the fact that the good team has a better and competitive record, which objectively makes it superior to the bad team, the good team is also more competitive for free agency than the bad team.

A 60 win team with the #1 pick in the draft is in a better situation than a 12 win team with the #1 pick in the draft. That's not to mention Boston is not strangled with bad cap space either, most players on Boston are on affordable contracts, Boston plays free agency well despite people thinking they only get by on trades.
vct33
Veteran
And1: 839

Post#93 » by vct33 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:32 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
vct33 wrote:Ainge hasn't done that poorly in the draft. Nobody hits on all their picks. Especially outside the top 10. If you look at his last five top picks, it's hard to complain about them. Jaylen Brown - 3rd, Terry Rozier - 16th, Marcus Smart - 6th, Jerred Sullinger - 21st, Avery Bradley - 19th.

Why is it that people have amnesia about the Olynyk pick in 2013 (instead of Giannis)?

Yeah, I missed that. Another good value at pick #13. I know you weren't trying to strengthen the case for Ainge but you did.
I brings the ruckus to the ladies!
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#94 » by zimpy27 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:51 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Turgon wrote:

The only benefit to becoming a losing team is to acquire a top draft pick. Objectively speaking, it is superior in every sense of the word to be a good team with a top pick than a bad team with a top pick. Other than the fact that the good team has a better and competitive record, which objectively makes it superior to the bad team, the good team is also more competitive for free agency than the bad team.

A 60 win team with the #1 pick in the draft is in a better situation than a 12 win team with the #1 pick in the draft. That's not to mention Boston is not strangled with bad cap space either, most players on Boston are on affordable contracts, Boston plays free agency well despite people thinking they only get by on trades.

Your advantage is that you have brooklyns pick. You're essentially playing the role of a great team that will never make the finals for 5 years while playing the role of a rebuilding team at the same time. A team could tank now and be just as successful as celtics will be in 5 years, your advantage will be lost unless you act now.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#95 » by zimpy27 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:55 pm

Turgon wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Turgon wrote:

You are perfectly entitled to an opinion. But if you want to criticise others than you also subject yourself to criticism.

We do not need to win now. This is what a lot of posters like you don't get. We are still a rebuilding team, even if we are enjoying some success. We do not need any more picks, we have six first round picks over the next 3 years, with at least two of them possible jackpots. Our oldest important player is Horford, 30 years old. IT is 28. Crowder and Bradley 26. KO is 25. Smart and Rozier are 22. Jaylen and Zizic (if his game translates to the NBA) are 20. That's 9 core players and only one of them is 30. And for those who think Ainge doesn't know how to draft take note: the 6 youngest players there were picked by him.

And on top of that, we can sign someone to a max contract next summer if we really want to!

So, yeah. We don't need to win now. And with the Cavs and the Warriors as strong as they are we can afford to wait. If a good deal comes along we will look into it. But we have absolutely zero incentive to overpay.

A team could tank now and be as successful as the celtics in 5 years when their draft picks develop. Only difference is that celtics would be a good regular season team over that 5 year period. Congrats.
yeahM8
Starter
And1: 3,676

Post#96 » by yeahM8 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:57 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Your advantage is that you have brooklyns pick. You're essentially playing the role of a great team that will never make the finals for 5 years while playing the role of a rebuilding team at the same time. A team could tank now and be just as successful as celtics will be in 5 years, your advantage will be lost unless you act now.

sorry im missing why the celtics would tank this year? is it to give the nets a better pick? you do realise its a pick swap right?
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#97 » by zimpy27 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:20 pm

yeahM8 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:

sorry im missing why the celtics would tank this year? is it to give the nets a better pick? you do realise its a pick swap right?

yeah i know this season it's a swap because you can't give away consecutive number ones but you trade assets for picks in this years draft class.
joeyAdaMan
Analyst
And1: 2,145

Post#98 » by joeyAdaMan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:50 pm

jc23 wrote:imo the Brooklyn trade is more about how stupid billy king and prokoraov are more then the genius of ainge.

this....but Ainge is still better than most GM's in the league right now and better than some in this thread are giving him credit for
Volcano wrote:Kobe must the best at everything. He's faster than Westbrook and stronger than Dwight. He's taller than Yao Ming and shorter than Earl Boykins. Nothing you say is going to change their minds.
Turgon
Assistant Coach

Post#99 » by Turgon » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:13 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
yeahM8 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

yeah i know this season it's a swap because you can't give away consecutive number ones but you trade assets for picks in this years draft class.

Yes. Let's trade our good players for even more picks that will allow us to draft other players we wish will be as good, but a couple years younger. Sounds like a plan.

You must be mistaken. Hinkie is not here. Ainge is.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#100 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:33 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:

When you miss a guy at 12 or 16, then a lot of other teams already passed on the guy as well.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to The General Board