Big Baby Davis goes off on ‘overrated’ Doc Rivers

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Re: Big Baby Davis goes off on ‘overrated’ Doc Rivers 

Post#61 » by Mylie10 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:44 am

Big baby crying just fits. Keep it up kid.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,218

Post#62 » by Clemenza » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:01 am

davidfr94 wrote:Overrated by who ?

He is being criticized a lot. His teams always play well both offensively and defensively.
He had a lot of injuries to key players during the playoffs (Perkins, Garnett, Paul, Griffin). Without them he could have maybe won another championship.

The 3-1 debacle was more about the players choking than bad coaching.

He did not develop young players ? Who was he supposed to develop ? Reggie bullock ?
He certainly helped griffin and Jordan become good players.

The only thing that I can criticize him for is playing jamaal Crawford that much (why ??????).

In a way he seems a little underrated to me.

We choked but we still had no bench that year.. Blake, CP3, and company were out of gas. And that was on Doc the GM. Really Doc the GM has failed Doc the Coach
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,290

Post#63 » by nickhx2 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:06 am

funny thing about that year was davis was part of that atrocious bench too lol
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Re: Is DOC RIVER OVERRATED? BIG BABY THINKS SO 

Post#64 » by Mich3006 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:26 am

geminiz wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Of course he's overrated. His inability to make even the simplest adjustments gets exposed every year in the playoffs. He refuses to develop young players. The quality of his "coaching" is entirely dependent on how loaded his roster is with talent. Meanwhile, you see guys like Rick Carlisle squeezing every ounce of production out of garbage rosters while getting paid less than Doc. On top of that, the media protects Doc and goes along with the excuses he makes for his failure.

Com'on now, that's just flat out lie. Who else would give that much playtime and dedication to Austin River?!

Umm now the question is, Doc vs Casey...Who sucks more

I miss the green font... and Doc sucks more.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#65 » by whocares1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:49 am

Optms wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Of course he's overrated. His inability to make even the simplest adjustments gets exposed every year in the playoffs. He refuses to develop young players.

Unless that young player is Austin Rivers*

Didn't he develop DeAndre Jordan? Wasn't he a scrub before Doc got there?
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Post#66 » by Mich3006 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:50 am

whocares1 wrote:
Optms wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Of course he's overrated. His inability to make even the simplest adjustments gets exposed every year in the playoffs. He refuses to develop young players.

Unless that young player is Austin Rivers*

Didn't he develop DeAndre Jordan? Wasn't he a scrub before Doc got there?

True, Jordan´s mid/long-range game is off the hook...

Doubt his defensive ability is because of Doc.
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,735

Post#67 » by naabzor » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:45 pm

I don't know why everyone say he is overrated but given what players he has on this clipper team there is not so much else he can do. Maybe he should have reached the conf finals at least one time but it is not his fault if his players suddenly collapsed.
3Diamantidis
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,300

Post#68 » by 3Diamantidis » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:02 pm

Yes he is overrated but davis is the last one who can point this out.
He should be grateful to rivers(where is he playing now?)
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#69 » by nickhx2 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:22 pm

eh it's cool if you wanna hate on doc for being overrated or being a mediocre gm, but pretending he wasn't integral in deandre jordan's development is just asinine.
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,042

Post#70 » by Ben-N1ce » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:33 pm

Doc is a good players coach. Give him youth and tell him to make **** happen... Not so much.
Torres
Sixth Man
And1: 1,156

Post#71 » by Torres » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:34 pm

Player coaches ala Doc + Tomlin are all overrated.
If you want results, you go for the "authoritarians" like Belichick and Pop
Image Image
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Re: RE: Re: Is DOC RIVER OVERRATED? BIG BABY THINKS SO 

Post#72 » by DoItALL9 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:23 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Optms wrote:
bigpimpatl wrote:
Austin Rivers has actually been pretty good this season, but I guess the father-son relationship will always cloud everyone's judgment.

He was given the chance to play through his mistakes to eventually develop into what he is today though. Doesn't matter what he's doing, its the leash that was given to him after being acquired by the Clippers that absurd.

If the Clippers hadn't traded for him, I'm almost certain he would have been given a shot elsewhere. Only instead been given a total of 15 minutes and be playing in China right now. A lot of players overseas and in the league right now would kill for the same opportunity. To play and produce like a D-leaguer time and time before eventually developing into a fill-in starter.

Went over this in the Austin Rivers thread. But Austin actually saw a decrease in minutes when he went from NOLA to the Clippers. This year is actually the first year Austin is getting more minutes compared to his final year in NOLA.

So this narrative that Doc gave him this long leash he wasn't getting before just is incorrect.

Final year in NOLA 22.1 mpg. 1st year in LA 19.3 mpg. 2nd year in LA 21.9 mpg. This year 28.3 mpg. I don't think too many people would argue the minutes he's getting this year either. CP3 has been out and he's actually been playing good basketball.

Nice. Facts often get in the way of debates
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,607

Re: RE: Re: Is DOC RIVER OVERRATED? BIG BABY THINKS SO 

Post#73 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:43 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Optms wrote:
He was given the chance to play through his mistakes to eventually develop into what he is today though. Doesn't matter what he's doing, its the leash that was given to him after being acquired by the Clippers that absurd.

If the Clippers hadn't traded for him, I'm almost certain he would have been given a shot elsewhere. Only instead been given a total of 15 minutes and be playing in China right now. A lot of players overseas and in the league right now would kill for the same opportunity. To play and produce like a D-leaguer time and time before eventually developing into a fill-in starter.

Went over this in the Austin Rivers thread. But Austin actually saw a decrease in minutes when he went from NOLA to the Clippers. This year is actually the first year Austin is getting more minutes compared to his final year in NOLA.

So this narrative that Doc gave him this long leash he wasn't getting before just is incorrect.

Final year in NOLA 22.1 mpg. 1st year in LA 19.3 mpg. 2nd year in LA 21.9 mpg. This year 28.3 mpg. I don't think too many people would argue the minutes he's getting this year either. CP3 has been out and he's actually been playing good basketball.

Nice. Facts often get in the way of debates

Haha yup. Especially in sports if a narrative gets repeated so often, many times it becomes the truth to many people. Like with this Austin thing, I went into great detail about it in his thread. But there is this narrative that Doc doesnt give opportunities to others and gave Austin a long leash that no one else ever would. I actually went through a bunch of their bench players that LAC has had and found out Doc gave basically all of the bench guys the same amount of minutes as they were getting before they got to LA or the same amount of minutes they have seen since leaving LA. So there is no stats that back up the narrative that Doc gave Austin special treatment.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#74 » by E-Balla » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:59 pm

Doc won coach of the year before ever getting to Boston. I smell sour grapes. I don't know anyone that says Rivers is a GOAT just a good coach. **** GM tho.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#75 » by E-Balla » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:02 pm

Torres wrote:Player coaches ala Doc + Tomlin are all overrated.
If you want results, you go for the "authoritarians" like Belichick and Pop

Mike Tomlin has never gone under 8-8 even as Pittsburgh has struggled to give him talent. Phil Jackson was a freaking player coach known for balancing egos. Not being BB or Pop isn't an insult it means you're not literally the best ever.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,442

Post#76 » by Eyeamok » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
sanitylaker wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:So by that logic, carlisle is a better coach and phil Jackson?

That's not the logic here son. I didn't say he is better than Popovich, I said he is a fine coach.

Baby said Doc was overrated. I simply disagree. Doc has his flaws, but he is a good coach.

He is 10-9 against Popovich since he joined the Clippers. How many coaches in the NBA can say that they have a winning record against the Spurs since 14 ? I bet this number is very low and i wouldn't even be surprised if Doc is alone here.

Im not your son guy, my dads name is stephen clark not sanity laker

Well that esculated quickly !!!
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
devilsace
Junior
And1: 334

Post#77 » by devilsace » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:35 pm

sanitylaker wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
sanitylaker wrote:Well he beat Popovich and the Spurs in the playoffs when they were the defending champions. I think he is fine as coach.

Davis is already out of the league :roll:

So by that logic, carlisle is a better coach and phil Jackson?

That's not the logic here son. I didn't say he is better than Popovich, I said he is a fine coach.

Baby said Doc was overrated. I simply disagree. Doc has his flaws, but he is a good coach.

He is 10-9 against Popovich since he joined the Clippers. How many coaches in the NBA can say that they have a winning record against the Spurs since 14 ? I bet this number is very low and i wouldn't even be surprised if Doc is alone here.

Well if you read the statement he said he is overrated from the discussion about being the greatest of all times coaches...not that he is just a good coach...In that case, yes, i think he overrated...doesnt belong in the convo with the other greats e.g. pop, jackson, auerback
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,747

Post#78 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:52 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:All coaches are overrated if people think they are the difference makers, where they aren't making personnel decisions.

If you don't think coaching matters you're crazy, avery got outcoached by pat riley, heat win, spo got out coached by carlisle mavs win, coaches definitely matters, mavs had no business winning in 11, every team we played had more talent than us including the first round blazers. Same reason we are in the hunt for the playoffs this year and we suck(please tank)

If you think any coach can make a bad team good or a good team bad, or that the majority or even large part of it is exes and ohs, that would be crazy.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,139

Post#79 » by og15 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:17 pm

Clemenza wrote:
davidfr94 wrote:Overrated by who ?

He is being criticized a lot. His teams always play well both offensively and defensively.
He had a lot of injuries to key players during the playoffs (Perkins, Garnett, Paul, Griffin). Without them he could have maybe won another championship.

The 3-1 debacle was more about the players choking than bad coaching.

He did not develop young players ? Who was he supposed to develop ? Reggie bullock ?
He certainly helped griffin and Jordan become good players.

The only thing that I can criticize him for is playing jamaal Crawford that much (why ??????).

In a way he seems a little underrated to me.

We choked but we still had no bench that year.. Blake, CP3, and company were out of gas. And that was on Doc the GM. Really Doc the GM has failed Doc the Coach

Yup, Doc the GM has consistently made Doc the coaches life more difficult. I showed it before, but the Clippers role players had just as many open and very open shots created for them as the Rockets players, actually I believe it was even more, but the Clippers were vastly outshot by Houston on those same shots. In fact for open shots, they shot horribly, not just worse than Houston.

Redick was never brought in to be playing 40 mpg in the post-season while being defended by Kawhi in one series and having to work very hard, then having to guard Harden in the next series while still playing 40 mpg. Jamal almost always sucks in the playoffs, he shot 36/24 taking 13.3 FGA/G, third most. Barnes shot 38/27.

Doc built a roster that had to overstretch players who were not meant for that much work load. The team had no backup PG, no backup big who could rebound and protect the rim, and no backup SF, things we complained about all season. Rivers (earlier not as good version) was backup PG, and even the current better version is still not a PG but a SG. Jamal was backup SG and SF, and the backup bigs were between Davis (14/14 games, 10 mpg), Hawes (8/14 games, 7 mpg) and Turkoglu (11/14 games, 5 mpg), it was a disaster.

We knew this going into the playoffs, but the Spurs series got us excited because a lot of things went right. One of those things was Doc's coaching strategy, offensively one was using the double pick and roll out of horns to neutralize Kawhi as a primary defender on Paul which Pop just did not adjust to defensively.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#80 » by nickhx2 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:25 pm

the double high screens in that series were quite the delight

Return to The General Board