Indiana Media on Paul George (UPDATE: Pg 4)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Re: Indiana Media on Paul George 

Post#41 » by pcbothwel » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:48 pm

Miles and Teague are expiring and should be traded first. No contender needs a PG right now and trading Teague would be really drastic, so Miles is perfect. A lot of teams need an elite shooting 2/3 off the bench, and trading Miles doesnt exactly sink the Pacers.

Then, this summer they should trade George for a top 5 pick (Boston, Philly, LAL, PHX could all use him). Let Teague walk, draft a PG with the top 5 pick, and be bad for one year. They then get a top 5-7 pick and have a TON of cap space in summer 2018 for a FA that wants to join Fultz/Ball/Smith, Top 5 2018 pick, Hartenstein/Rabb/Leaf, and Turner

Fultz
FA
Porter Jr.
Hartenstein
Turner
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#42 » by City of Trees » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:04 pm

Is George afraid playing PF hurts his chances at DPE?

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#43 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:16 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I don't get how any criticism of a star constitutes *pushing him out.* These players are human. They make mistakes. Sometimes they need to hear it. Small forwards play power forwards in small ball line ups all the time. It's one thing to ask him to play that position for 40 mpg. But if they're asking him to play PF in certain rotations, I don't get what the problem is.

Oh, they're not though.

Bird has been trying to push him up to PF for several years. Once he says yes to even a little bit, I suspect he fears they'll run with it.

The problem is Bird. If a mere coach, especially one with McMillan's lack of history with the franchise, wanted to try that experiment, then he would have to listen to George about not being comfortable there, and for the sake of his job he would quickly relent if it was a disaster. But with the GM squatting behind him pushing the move, there are no consequences for McMillan if he does it. So George has to draw the line himself.
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#44 » by whocurrz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:31 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:PG was joking around with Wall and Beal during our last game. We would have to clear a lot of capspace in 2018 but would love to see PG13 teaming up with a real point guard

Wizards should try to get a package around Porter, and picks. Probably have to include Gortat because of salary and he's still a positive asset but if Mahinmi regains form and they have a core with a nice future that could give the Cavs a nice run for their money. Doubt it works but Porter's value is at its highest.
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
FinallyImHere
Junior
And1: 196

Post#45 » by FinallyImHere » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:30 pm

Wraps_fan wrote:
RasheedTupac wrote:Drummond + 2017 pick for George

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I think you overestimate how much value Drummond has

Yes! extremely overestimating his value.
FinallyImHere
Junior
And1: 196

Post#46 » by FinallyImHere » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:33 pm

KnightofHyrule wrote:Joseph, Carroll, Sullinger, Bebe + pick to Indiana for George and Seraphin.

Starters:
PG Lowry
SG DeRozan
SF George
PF Ibaka
C Valanciunas

Bench:
PG Wright
SG VanVleet
SF Powell
PF Patterson/Poeltl
C Seraphin

The chip?

In all honesty do you think this package gets it done?
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#47 » by OptionZero » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:41 pm

The key factor in moving any elite wing to the 4 is who you put at the 3. It's why (well, one reason why) OKC could never maximize KD at the 4 - who was gonna be the 3? Andre Roberson who can't do anything on offense?

From where I sit, I see CJ Miles, Glenn Robinson and Rodney Stuckey, and they're different varieties of bland okness, but from PG13's perspective, why should he eat the punishment of playing up a position for those dudes?

OTOH, when GSW was moving HB and then KD to PF and sliding Dray to the 5, they were adding in Andre Iguodala, an elite defender and ball mover or Shaun Livingston, a big two-way guard.

Thad Young seems like he helps more than anyone they can put at the 3 in moving PG13 over, and Myles Turner is too good to take off the floor when they wanna win.

IND needs a better bench and a better wing complement.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#48 » by winter_mute_13 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:59 pm

Thad is injured right now, otherwise he was holding up pretty well at the 4. Well, we were getting killed on the boards, but we still managed to win some games. And one adjustment that seemed to work was to play the athletic GR3 at the 2 to help with boards. Unfortunately he's still GR3 so he tends to eff up as often as he helped.

The trouble is we don't have another reliable PF option behind Thad. Lavoy probably is the best of the rest but he's also injured so now we have to play guys out of position. Given the circumstances, it does seem like an emergency situation where PG probably should suck it up and play 4 a little, but apparently he's deeply set against that. The real fault is that Bird didn't build enough flexibility in the roster, but I guess having the only 2 real PFs on the roster injured at the same time is probably something he didn't plan for.

Anyway I wouldn't read too much into it. Less than 2 weeks ago, the Pacers had just won 7 straight games and all was hunky-dory. Now we've lost six straight, so everyone is feeling antsy. It is what it is. This too shall pass.
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#49 » by BramptonYute » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:16 pm

KnightofHyrule wrote:Joseph, Carroll, Sullinger, Bebe + pick to Indiana for George and Seraphin.

Starters:
PG Lowry
SG DeRozan
SF George
PF Ibaka
C Valanciunas

Bench:
PG Wright
SG VanVleet
SF Powell
PF Patterson/Poeltl
C Seraphin

The chip?
bro what

they can get so much more than our trash for george :lol:
nbafan341
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,148

Post#50 » by nbafan341 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:27 pm

Read on Twitter
nbafan341
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,148

Post#51 » by nbafan341 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:28 pm

Demar derozan and Jonas Valancuinas for Paul george and Myles Turner.

Lowry
Powell
George
Ibaka
Turner

That team would be a beast defensively. At least 3/5 lineup will get all defensive 1st/2nd team
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#52 » by DoItALL9 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:45 pm

The Pacers should bring Josh Smith in for a workout later in the year. he can play the 4

Sent from my LG-H901 using RealGM mobile app
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#53 » by FlatearthZorro » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:48 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:The Pacers should bring Josh Smith in for a workout later in the year. he can play the 4

Sent from my LG-H901 using RealGM mobile app

#realtalk
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Avihs7
Junior
And1: 167

Post#54 » by Avihs7 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:57 pm

OptionZero wrote:The designated extension thing is a big deal. Indy really needs PG13 to make an all-NBA team and qualify for it, so they can extend him this offseason. I don't see them markedly jumping up the East standings with WAS, BOS, and TOR around, so bumbling around the bottom of the east playoff scene a terrible backdrop for going into unrestricted free agency.

And since someone's gonna say it, no, GSW can't get him, their books will be full by then with Curry and KD's new deals and Klay and Dray.

Indiana really FUBAR'd themselves lately. Not upgrading from Vogel (i don't think he's great, he's ok, but McMillan ain't the guy), the Monta deal, letting Solomon Hill walk (who would be a pretty nice option at PF on his option year they declined), letting Mahinmi walk, trading Hill for Teague (lateral move at best), signing worthless Al Jefferson . . .

Boston, Denver, the Lakers, . . . pretty much everyone should be calling Bird. Now, Bird won't trade him. U can mark that down. Dude won't admit he screwed up and he's going to take this all the way to the end.

It's gonna end with George walking as a free agent to greener pastures. I'm predicting he'll be a Laker entering 18-19.

He said his main focus is winning and only wants to play for a contending team. Unless Lakers are contending by then there is no chance he ends up with the lakers.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,379

Post#55 » by robbie84 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:58 pm

Larry and his buddy Danny Ainge will be having some looooooong conversations on the golf course about Mr. George.

Honestly haven't watched him this year as Pacers have stunk. Is he declining after the leg injury? Stats look good but team sucks.

I love the Pacers, really hope if he leaves they get a haul.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
ZaborgZaloog
Junior
And1: 197

Post#56 » by ZaborgZaloog » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:20 am

whocurrz wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:PG was joking around with Wall and Beal during our last game. We would have to clear a lot of capspace in 2018 but would love to see PG13 teaming up with a real point guard

Wizards should try to get a package around Porter, and picks. Probably have to include Gortat because of salary and he's still a positive asset but if Mahinmi regains form and they have a core with a nice future that could give the Cavs a nice run for their money. Doubt it works but Porter's value is at its highest.

This is a MASSIVE overpay for PG and there's no way Washington should do that. We can't afford to gut our only consistent big
Kwakle
Senior
And1: 254

Post#57 » by Kwakle » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:29 am

Wraps_fan wrote:
reload141 wrote:
Wraps_fan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Shame Toronto has no assets for him! Haha

Haha

Haha
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,098

Post#58 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:45 am

OptionZero wrote:A couple IndyStar media guys have taken . . . what can be construed as shots against Paul George lately. Awesome.

Here's [ur=http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/02/16/doyel-lets-talk-pacers-paul-george-problem/98018218/l]Greg Doyell's article published 2/16/17[/url] Two points of interest

1) On PG13's refusal to play PF:

The Pacers, who enter the All-Star break on a six-game losing streak, are missing their top two power forwards: Thaddeus Young and Lavoy Allen. Because of that, they’re playing two guys — Kevin Seraphin starting, C.J. Miles off the bench — ill-equipped for the position. Seraphin is big enough, but too slow. Miles is quick enough, but too small.

Meanwhile, Paul George is just right. He’s not merely a potential power forward — he’s the prototype in today’s smaller, sleeker NBA that demands a combination of size, skill and speed from that slot. Paul George has all three.

But he won’t play the four.

George refused to do it last season, complicating Larry Bird’s offseason remake of what had been one of the league’s bigger, slower lineups. And McMillan indicated before Thursday’s game that George has declined to do it this season even now, with the Pacers missing two power forwards. This is what McMillan told me when I asked him Thursday: Any thought, on an emergency basis, of putting Paul at the four?

“We’ve tried that, but Paul is …” McMillan said, then paused, unsure how to finish that sentence. Paul is … what?

McMillan tried again.

“Um, we’ve tried that some — but no,” he said. “I wish it was that easy, and it really should be, but it’s not.”

It really should be that easy? Man, that’s as close as you’ve ever heard any of George’s bosses — McMillan, Bird, former coach Frank Vogel — say what’s on everyone’s mind:

Paul George is putting himself ahead of the team.

2) On PG13 being critical of Nate McMillan (also related to the PF issue:

George does have some advice for his coach, however. After the Pacers surrendered 18 3-pointers in a 113-104 loss Wednesday to Cleveland, George offered up these suggestions to Nate Taylor, IndyStar’s Pacers Insider:

“Maybe it’s changing schemes up in how we guard these spread teams,” George told my team’s Nate, not his team’s Nate. “This is a new league, a new NBA. I think we might have to go a different route … as opposed to trying to make changes during games where we’re kind of not really sure how to guard something.”

Not sure who George was taking a shot at there, McMillan or Pacers defensive coordinator Dan Burke. Maybe both? Whatever. His next “suggestion” seemed to be aimed at Larry Bird:

"I think,” Paul George opined, “we (should) just build for where the league is headed.”

You mean, like moving the team’s 6-9 perimeter sniper to power forward? The Pacers tried that last season, Paul.

You said no.

McMillan, by the way, had no idea before Thursday’s game that his best player had offered a coaching criticism the night before. I asked him about George’s comments, and got this in response:

“He said what now?” McMillan asked. “He didn’t come to me about that.”

Meanwhile, Nate Taylor of the same paper wrote about the Pacer's slide into the All-Star Break in his 2/16/17 article:

Just a summary and some quotes, no biggie

Then another writer, Nate Newell tweets this morning on it:

Read on Twitter

George is under contract through 2018, and then becomes a restricted FA. He may be eligible for the designated veteran extension this offseason IF he makes an all-nba team (allows for 5yr extension starting at 35% max). It's not a lock he gets that, since Lebron, Kawhi, Dray, KD have pretty legitimate cases for four spots (of the six available forward spots). Giannis is getting a spot this year for sure. He'd need to beat Griffin, possibly Anthony Davis if he's put as an F, maybe Gordon Hayward. There's enough competition that it's not a lock. Without that eligibility, Indiana's financial advantage is diminished. They could still pay him the most when he hits free agency but you don't want a guy hitting free agency.

All this being said, I look forward to PG13 as GSW's Iguodala replacement, so have a good day.

Riiiight. Paul George is going to make a lot more money than Igoudala is making right now.. no chance.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#59 » by Spens1 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:58 am

They cannot be this stupid in Indiana. Why push away the best player they've had in years. Also he is a guy who is pretty high character also and has tolerated Bird's bs for a long time now (come on, he fired Vogel who was making inroads in the east and replaced him with McMillan so of course he'd be upset).

On his refusal to play P.F, usually i'd disagree with players not following coaches but this time i'm on P.G with this, who on earth thinks its a good idea for George to play P.F. The man started off as a S.G who transitioned to S.F over time, no way is he going to be able to go and play P.F half as effectively as he would as a S.F.

On his exhaustion, must be tired of carrying that franchise on his back for years with little to no reward.

Honestly George should go if this is the attitude they have towards him. They've not really improved to a level were they can challenge for the east and now are falling behind Boston, Toronto and now Washington.

Should be obvious, i want him on the lakers,sure, we're not really better right now than Indiana (actually considerably worse) but we have potential, plus a potential return home would be nice too. Also if we move on one of Mozgov or Deng we could be in business for another F.A
-TheDocOfDenial
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,179

Post#60 » by -TheDocOfDenial » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:01 am

Yup he is gone. Also why should he play the 4 when is an elite SF. Playing the 4 would shorten his NBA career and lead to more injuries.

Return to The General Board