Are DeMarcus Cousins & Anthony Davis even a good fit?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

G35
RealGM
And1: 7,704

Re: Are DeMarcus Cousins & Anthony Davis even a good fit? 

Post#461 » by G35 » Fri Apr 7, 2017 9:52 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
G35 wrote:
dho4ever wrote:
Wait... Marc Gasol and Conley is wayy better than Demarcus and Rudy Gay...
Rudy Gay isn't very good.

Is that your opinion or do you have some basis of fact for that. Because by the metrics (which is what we primarily judge Demarcus on) Gay is an above average player.

In four years with the Kings this is Rudy Gay's production:

PPG 19.3
REB 6.0
AST 2.8
STL 1.3
FG% .464
3P% .347

Advanced
PER 18.1
TS% .554
OBPM 1.3
DBPM -0.1
USG 25.3

Those are not the stats of a not very good player. Particularly if you combine them with Cousins. If you only saw those numbers and you projected them next to Demarcus, this is exactly they type of wing player they need in New Orleans. Unfortunately, teams do not make the playoffs using numbers, chemistry, continuity (as you mentioned) are bigger factors than just numbers. Demarcus is a negative in many of those intangibles.......

That's probably why Cousins is annually amongst the league leaders in real plus-minus. Because obviously he magically somehow only has been oppressing those awesome Kings collections of talent when he's off the floor.

Alternately, an unbiased observer might conclude that gee, those Kings teams filled up with nobodies, the great majority of whom are scrubs or out of the league now, just weren't very good without Cousins to lift and carry them.

You are going to extreme's to make a point.

No one is saying that the Kings surrounded Demarcus with an awesome amount of talent. There is plenty of criticism towards the Kings for many of their moves. But Darren Collison, Rudy Gay, Tyreke Evans, Omri Casspi, Isiah Thompson, Hassan Whiteside is not the worst collection of talent in the league.

I think we can come to a compromise, the Kings could have done more/better at putting talent around Demarcus, while Demarcus could have done more as a leader/best player on the team/intangibles to help his teammates excel......
I'm so tired of the typical......
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Re: RE: Re: Are DeMarcus Cousins & Anthony Davis even a good fit? 

Post#462 » by SactoKingsFan » Fri Apr 7, 2017 9:59 pm

G35 wrote:
Winsome Gerbil wrote:
G35 wrote:
Is that your opinion or do you have some basis of fact for that. Because by the metrics (which is what we primarily judge Demarcus on) Gay is an above average player.

In four years with the Kings this is Rudy Gay's production:

PPG 19.3
REB 6.0
AST 2.8
STL 1.3
FG% .464
3P% .347

Advanced
PER 18.1
TS% .554
OBPM 1.3
DBPM -0.1
USG 25.3

Those are not the stats of a not very good player. Particularly if you combine them with Cousins. If you only saw those numbers and you projected them next to Demarcus, this is exactly they type of wing player they need in New Orleans. Unfortunately, teams do not make the playoffs using numbers, chemistry, continuity (as you mentioned) are bigger factors than just numbers. Demarcus is a negative in many of those intangibles.......

That's probably why Cousins is annually amongst the league leaders in real plus-minus. Because obviously he magically somehow only has been oppressing those awesome Kings collections of talent when he's off the floor.

Alternately, an unbiased observer might conclude that gee, those Kings teams filled up with nobodies, the great majority of whom are scrubs or out of the league now, just weren't very good without Cousins to lift and carry them.

No one is saying that the Kings surrounded Demarcus with an awesome amount of talent. There is plenty of criticism towards the Kings for many of their moves. But Darren Collison, Rudy Gay, Tyreke Evans, Omri Casspi, Isiah Thompson, Hassan Whiteside is not the worst collection of talent in the league.

I think we can come to a compromise, the Kings could have done more/better at putting talent around Demarcus, while Demarcus could have done more as a leader/best player on the team/intangibles to help his teammates excel......

Why would you even mention Whiteside? He played less than 20 games with Kings and was out of the league before going to Miami and resurrecting his career.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#463 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri Apr 7, 2017 10:16 pm

slothrop8 wrote:
Smirk wrote:
slothrop8 wrote:
And neither is Demarcus - which is the whole point of this thing.

Demarcus isn't very good? Oh ok.

In the same way that Rudy Gay isn't very good. Nice surface stats - probably wouldn't hurt you too, too bad if you surrounded him with enough talent like the better Rudy Gay Memphis teams. Nice to have on your roster if you want to lose 48-50 games or so. Certainly wouldn't want him playing for a franchise that hoped to be a consistent winner. That kind of player.

You're supposed to use green font when you're trying to be funny.

I don't know what font you use when you're trying to sound utterly clueless about a player. Good lord.
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,704

Post#464 » by G35 » Fri Apr 7, 2017 10:21 pm

SactoKingsFan wrote:
G35 wrote:
Winsome Gerbil wrote:

Why would you even mention Whiteside? He played less than 20 games with Kings and was out of the league before going to Miami and resurrecting his career.

Because he was there. It would be like not mentioning Demarcus this year, if the Pelicans balk at resigning and trade him over the summer. Everything revolves around decisions, these are one of the decisions I think the Kings regret by not holding on to Whiteside. They could have kept him and then they would not have had to draft Willie Caulie Stein, they would then be looking to pick up some perimeter help. Maybe, maybe not but the Kings have had talent.

In 2012-13 they Isaiah Thomas, Tyreke Evans, and Demarcus, no real injury issues, they had Marcus Thornton, Patrick Patterson off the bench. No, not the greatest talent but not the worst either.......
I'm so tired of the typical......
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#465 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri Apr 7, 2017 10:34 pm

G35 wrote:
SactoKingsFan wrote:
G35 wrote:

Because he was there. It would be like not mentioning Demarcus this year, if the Pelicans balk at resigning and trade him over the summer. Everything revolves around decisions, these are one of the decisions I think the Kings regret by not holding on to Whiteside. They could have kept him and then they would not have had to draft Willie Caulie Stein, they would then be looking to pick up some perimeter help. Maybe, maybe not but the Kings have had talent.

In 2012-13 they Isaiah Thomas, Tyreke Evans, and Demarcus, no real injury issues, they had Marcus Thornton, Patrick Patterson off the bench. No, not the greatest talent but not the worst either.......

And those guys were all like 21-23 years old, being coached by Keith Smart, and in the final year of the ridiculous Maloof trying to steal the team drama where the owners were probably having them fly prop planes and use motorboat engines for whirlpools like something out of Major League.

You're making my point for me. the Kings screwed everything up year after year after year. Made every possible bad move. Gave away every talented player but DeMarcus, and then finally gave him away too. They let Evans walk for...Greivis Vasquez I think? Just when Cousins was coming into his own as a franchise guy. After that first year they then let Thomas walk for nothing at all I think. They started winning the following season despite everything...Cousins comes down with a freakish life threatening illness. and so they immediately fired Mike Malone, because hey, #Kangz, can't be doing any of that winning stuff. Then they hire George Karl, which was nonsense. They bring in Rajon Rondo, who actually had a bounce back year. Which of course means they let him walk for nothing too. They sign Seth Curry...barely play him, and then let him walk for nothing, because hey, why not.

There was absolutely no hope there for any player short of maybe Lebron to turn that situation, because the management has been utterly and completely league worst incompetent. And frankly neither LeBron nor basically any superstar in the league except Cousins, because of his dogged loyalty, would have tolerated that nonsense for so many years.

P.S. I take that back about who would have tolerated that. I think Kawhi and A.D. might, just because they have very muted egos. But then again, I think there's a good chance that Kawhi would not be Kawhi if he had gone to that mess of a franchise with its "player development", and because he was not an obvious star from the beginning, there's a very good chance they would have just dumped him too. Maybe gotten ambitious and gotten a 2nd round pick back for him.
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Are DeMarcus Cousins & Anthony Davis even a good fit? 

Post#466 » by SactoKingsFan » Fri Apr 7, 2017 10:37 pm

G35 wrote:
SactoKingsFan wrote:
G35 wrote:

Still doesn't make any sense to mention Whiteside with guys that actually played significant minutes for Kings. Whiteside played about 100 minutes with Kings. The Kings have had some talented players but most of them haven't been developed or used properly.

GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man
And1: 793

Post#467 » by GlenRiceARoni » Sat Apr 8, 2017 5:22 am

This doesn't look like a playoff team next year but you never know

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Excited about the Playoffs now that Durant has given other teams a fighting chance
laika
Analyst
And1: 1,996

Post#468 » by laika » Sat Apr 8, 2017 10:41 am

Yea it's a small sample size. But over the last 10 games the Cousins/Davis combination has been really good, beating teams by 16 points per game.
GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man
And1: 793

Post#469 » by GlenRiceARoni » Sat Apr 8, 2017 2:05 pm

Yea but teams are tanking and resting starters. You cant read anything into the last few games of a season

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Excited about the Playoffs now that Durant has given other teams a fighting chance
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,117

Post#470 » by brutalitops » Sat Apr 8, 2017 3:48 pm

Still need the right role players

They have Asik at 10m for 4 years which is looking pretty **** woeful, Also Hill on 10k. I'ld be praying to allah that Holiday wants to be a third fiddle and just play great D and ride Cousins/Davis to play off's.

Return to The General Board