Interesting article on Black Players In Utah

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Re: Black Players In Utah 

Post#61 » by EAS Law » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:06 pm

I think this is an illustration of how young black athletes hold prejudices toward places like Utah because "white people live there" in a twist of irony, where there is an assumption that they will be pre-judged and treated unfairly.

I would imagine that 90% of the posters in this thread have never been to Utah, yet claim that there is no culture there and that it is full of "people that don't look like" these athletes.

It's actually pretty amusing that people are so indoctrinated to believe that prejudice and racial preference only works one way.
Beffiosa
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,436

Post#62 » by Beffiosa » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:08 pm

HotTubMike wrote:
Beffiosa wrote:
HotTubMike wrote:
It's a racist stereotype to associate black people with a love of fried chicken.

He knew exactly what he was saying.

The dude who asked wasn't' the dude who said it so I was just responding to his question bruh.

My apologies. Yes, I see it was a different poster.
You can't out train bad Nutrition
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,293

Post#63 » by Black Jack » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:16 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:
Black Jack wrote:why should just black players have a problem. we're talking about the blandest possible place with zero culture. yeah yeah millions of dollars. hey utah why not liven the place up? why so boring anyway?

More do with the encomic impact and population affects. If you lived in Utah for 20 years and as time went by , would you like it the growing into a baby LA? Thats whats happening right now in CA. Its baby boomers x millenial= population issue.

I can't buy into a hypothetical where I live in Utah for 20 years. Try again.

and yeah a baby LA sounds great. anything other than complete boredom.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,489

Post#64 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:16 pm

EAS Law wrote:I think this is an illustration of how young black athletes hold prejudices toward places like Utah because "white people live there" in a twist of irony, where there is an assumption that they will be pre-judged and treated unfairly.

I would imagine that 90% of the posters in this thread have never been to Utah, yet claim that there is no culture there and that it is full of "people that don't look like" these athletes.

It's actually pretty amusing that people are so indoctrinated to believe that prejudice and racial preference only works one way.

I've been to SLC. There aren't many people that look like these athletes.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
Black Jack
Assistant Coach

Post#65 » by Black Jack » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:16 pm

EAS Law wrote:I think this is an illustration of how young black athletes hold prejudices toward places like Utah because "white people live there" in a twist of irony, where there is an assumption that they will be pre-judged and treated unfairly.

I've been there. It's just as boring as everyone who hasn't been there assumes.

Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#66 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:34 pm

Black Jack wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Black Jack wrote:why should just black players have a problem. we're talking about the blandest possible place with zero culture. yeah yeah millions of dollars. hey utah why not liven the place up? why so boring anyway?

More do with the encomic impact and population affects. If you lived in Utah for 20 years and as time went by , would you like it the growing into a baby LA? Thats whats happening right now in CA. Its baby boomers x millenial= population issue.

I can't buy into a hypothetical where I live in Utah for 20 years. Try again.

and yeah a baby LA sounds great. anything other than complete boredom.

Than Utah is a place for you. Do you like bowling ?, football, Baseball , dancing, . From any standpoint?

There also Pros and Cons to living anywhere .

Pros to living in baby LA
All the night life your body can handle , you cant get bored. If you got the money we got the time. Type of deal.
Lots of job oppurtinity depending on your trade , education and experience. Short distances to work.
Cons
Higher Taxes
Longer lines
More Crime , of all sorts.
Lesser room
More traffic
Lesser encomic growth depending on your trade, education, experience.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#67 » by Luigi » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:35 pm

The fewer people that find out about how great Utah is, the better off we'll be. Keep the stereotypes alive to keep it from crowding. We have an Iceland Greenland situation here.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#68 » by TMU » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:40 pm

Out of the entire year, how much time do you think players spend in the city of their respective teams? You also have to consider that a lot of time is spent on the road, and during the off-season, I'm pretty sure many go back to places that they consider 'home'. Not every athlete has to appreciate what his team's city offers - whether they like it or not is based on their own experiences. Likewise, not every city/state deserves to be stereotyped and presumed to be boring and different. The NBA is a prestigious club with very limited spots in various cities, and if you are an NBA athlete, you just make the most out of the situation. Hell, if I'm getting paid a few million dollars/year, I sure won't be complaining about the location of my job.
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#69 » by ItsThatEasy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:44 pm

You're a part of the problem and you don't even realize it.

The article is full of Jazz players TELLING you there's no culture for them there.

Why do you have a problem with just taking their word for it?

If young black males who have lived there are telling you it's not the most welcoming place for them socially why would you possibly try and argue them about THEIR experience?

How entitled do you have to be to tell somebody else about their own experience?
Stoked
Senior
And1: 358

Post#70 » by Stoked » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:58 pm

I do find the "lack of culture" to be misleading and interesting. There isn't a lack of culture. It's just that Utah, especially outside the northern Itah metro area, has a very unique conservative culture. Family oriented with emphasis on outdoor and religious activities. Music, entertainment and food follow that.

What they are probably trying to say is a better variety of cultures. Particularly a culture they feel more familiar with. I think adding to that would be a good thing.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#71 » by KF10 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:04 am

I think it would be interesting to live in Utah (SLC). As long as you are an open minded person and have a positive attitude, I say why not?
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#72 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:15 am

There are young Black men and young Black men. Karl Marlone was a hunter and fisherman and loved SLC. Other young men might not.
It's silly to stereotype the city or Black players.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#73 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:16 am

deleted
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,726

Post#74 » by Nate505 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:37 am

The cultural aspects of Utah as a state tend to get pinned onto Salt Lake City, which is a different animal altogether. SLC is like most other "smaller" (small is a relative term) western cities I've been to in my life (like Denver, Portland, Seattle, etc.), though definitely smaller than those.
Nate505
RealGM

Post#75 » by Nate505 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:38 am

What is boring about it?
Black Jack
Assistant Coach

Post#76 » by Black Jack » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:45 am

Nate505 wrote:

What is boring about it?

In the immortal words of Derrick Harper, you go live in Utah :lol:

hey if you like it great. been there, seemed totally boring to me :dontknow:

Nate505
RealGM

Post#77 » by Nate505 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:46 am

rapskar wrote:I don´t know much about Utah, other than it is majority a mormon conservative city

I assume you're referring to Salt Lake, and thing thing is, it isn't. The entire county is 51% LDS, but the county encompasses a few cities/towns. Plus being LDS and being active LDS are two different things.

As for being conservative, the mayor there is openly gay. And female. There hasn't been a Republican mayor there for 40 years or so. The county went for Hillary Clinton in 2016. They would probably elect a Democratic Congressman if the city wasn't split between three districts. On another note, the 4th district Congresswoman is a Haitian-American and a GOP member. Craziness.
Nate505
RealGM

Post#78 » by Nate505 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:47 am

Black Jack wrote:
Nate505 wrote:

What is boring about it?

In the immortal words of Derrick Harper, you go live in Utah :lol:

hey if you like it great. been there, seemed totally boring to me :dontknow:

So you got nothing then? Ok.
Nate505
RealGM

Post#79 » by Nate505 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:48 am

HotTubMike wrote:
DROB27 wrote:I'm a young black male and I would absolutely not enjoy living Utah ... feel like I wouldn't fit in

I'm a young white male and I would absolutely not enjoy living in Utah .... I feel like I wouldn't fit in.

It's one of the smallest markets and also SLC is a very unique place in the United States with the influence the LDS.

It's different for sure.

In Salt Lake itself the influence of the church is more fantasy than reality.
shoefly1
Junior
And1: 396

Post#80 » by shoefly1 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:50 am

Pau Gasol said he went to Chicago partially because he liked opera and art museums, was that wrong of him?

It always amazes me that people can't conceptualize that other people value different qualities than they do, and that people make decisions and have preferences based on multiple factors.

It's like people getting angry if you don't think a woman they like is attractive. People have different preferences, and for many NBA players, they prefer other cities to Utah.

Return to The General Board