08 Celts players throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited

Moderators: DayofMourning, Capn'O, Dirk, CoreyGallagher, magnumt, ken6199, BombsquadSammy, Yuri Vaultin, Tarik Black, Mr. E, bwgood77, Rhettmatic, Duke4life831, KF10, GimmeDat, Knickstape1214

User avatar
Heat3
RealGM
Posts: 16,170
And1: 6,472
Joined: May 26, 2006
Location: Getting a grip! 2016-7 Offseason!
Contact:
   

Re: Celts throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited 

Post#41 » by Heat3 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:14 pm

Non story. But I guess that is the reason for the misleading headline.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

Image
LeeBlaze
Junior
Posts: 306
And1: 55
Joined: Sep 03, 2004

Re: Celts throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited 

Post#42 » by LeeBlaze » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:30 pm

JulesWinnfield wrote:
LeeBlaze wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:I understand the hurt feelings. But to me this is stupid a full 5 years later. The Celtics were on their last legs when Allen left, his departure certainly didn't stop Boston from doing anything in 2013. This isn't Durant to Golden State, this is not even 15% of that.

Also something about an overrated turd like Rondo continually basking in this beef with a HOFer like Allen is just off putting. Especially the version of Rondo in 08 that contributed to that team

How is it not? He left a team that knocked them out of the Conference Finals of the playoffs the same year. He went to a team with more talent. He burned bridges with teammates.

Main difference I could see is OKC had more talent, while Boston was on its last leg.


How is it different? Are we actually living in a world where this must be explained? One player was the best player (or co best) on a contender in his absolute prime. The other was an old post prime player on a team arrowing downward who they had recently benched and then lowballed in contract negotiations

How do some not get this? OKC had every right to feel much more hurt, they were more damaged, and unlike Boston they didn't actively alienate the player through reduced role and other things

Regardless of the status of the player, the situation in which they left are similar.

Yes, one player was a top 3 in the league while the other player was merely a role player on a team on its last leg, so I agree with you there. In both situations, they burned bridges with former teammates regardless of what happened during their tenure with their respective team the final season. Point is, those burnt bridges lead to OP.
User avatar
Zombiesonics
Analyst
Posts: 3,612
And1: 1,903
Joined: Mar 27, 2011

Re: Celts throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited 

Post#43 » by Zombiesonics » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:41 pm

Ray Allen was the second best player on that title team. Put some respek on his name rondo
User avatar
JulesWinnfield
Analyst
Posts: 3,330
And1: 3,642
Joined: Mar 24, 2013
Location: NY
 

Re: Celts throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited 

Post#44 » by JulesWinnfield » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:46 pm

LeeBlaze wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:
LeeBlaze wrote:How is it not? He left a team that knocked them out of the Conference Finals of the playoffs the same year. He went to a team with more talent. He burned bridges with teammates.

Main difference I could see is OKC had more talent, while Boston was on its last leg.


How is it different? Are we actually living in a world where this must be explained? One player was the best player (or co best) on a contender in his absolute prime. The other was an old post prime player on a team arrowing downward who they had recently benched and then lowballed in contract negotiations

How do some not get this? OKC had every right to feel much more hurt, they were more damaged, and unlike Boston they didn't actively alienate the player through reduced role and other things

Regardless of the status of the player, the situation in which they left are similar.

Yes, one player was a top 3 in the league while the other player was merely a role player on a team on its last leg, so I agree with you there. In both situations, they burned bridges with former teammates regardless of what happened during their tenure with their respective team the final season. Point is, those burnt bridges lead to OP.


Other than the fact that they left for a team they met in the playoffs the year before, the situation in which they left wasn't similar at all. You can even debate how much Boston even wanted Allen back. That wasn't an issue in OKC. I'm sure Ray Allen was not the first FA who signed with a team who knocked his team out of the playoffs the prior year, and I'm sure just about any of those other examples (without racking my brain to find them) are way more apples to apples than comparing the departure of a 37 year old reserve to a 20 something MVP candidate
mischievous
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,185
And1: 2,184
Joined: Apr 18, 2015

Re: Celts throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited 

Post#45 » by mischievous » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:50 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:Ok what did Ray Allen do deserve that? Was coming to miami that big of deal??

I remember hearing that Rondo and Allen didn't like each other even before he left.
Pendragon wrote:Paul George prime > Dwayne Wade prime.
NZB2323
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,611
And1: 1,720
Joined: Aug 02, 2008

Re: Celts throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited 

Post#46 » by NZB2323 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:52 pm

If you throw a party you can invite or not invite whoever the hell you want to.
Fire GarPax! How do you start the rebuilding process by trading a draft pick for money? I know it was a late pick, but so were Butler, Taj Gibson, Draymond Green, and Isiah Thomas. The Warriors wanted the guy, and they're good at evaluating talent.
mischievous
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,185
And1: 2,184
Joined: Apr 18, 2015

Re: Celts throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited 

Post#47 » by mischievous » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:54 pm

Froob wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:Ok what did Ray Allen do deserve that? Was coming to miami that big of deal??

For me, I would have forgiven him by now if he didn't cry to the media to anybody who would listen for like a year and a half. I still love Wes Welker and hope he makes the Patriots' Hall of Fame. Also...Ray was kinda a fraud, considered to be the ultimate professional but whined when he had to come off the bench for Avery Bradley which was the best for the team at the time. He's no JET or Manu when it came to being a good teammate and doing what was best for the team. Had a rather large ego low key...

JulesWinnfield wrote:Didn't the Celts take ray allens starting job from him and give it to Avery Bradley late that last season? Of course Bradley would get hurt in the playoffs and Ray got his job back

I remember not being one bit surprised that Allen left, and taken aback by how salty Boston was about it given their circumstances

Bradley was out playing him and the bench needed an extra punch. It made a lot of sense. Ray should not have been offended being a sixth man.

Oh get over it dude.
Pendragon wrote:Paul George prime > Dwayne Wade prime.
BucksPackers
Veteran
Posts: 2,860
And1: 540
Joined: Jun 23, 2016
   

Re: Celts throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited 

Post#48 » by BucksPackers » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:57 pm

Lol rondo would throw a party while he still is "playing" in the NBA. Wouldn't you wait until all players are retired to throw parties. And to not invite one of the big three is hilarious. They were the original big three and I don't remember rondo being apart of that big three.
User avatar
mvpshaq32
Starter
Posts: 2,342
And1: 2,264
Joined: Dec 13, 2008
 

Re: Celts throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited 

Post#49 » by mvpshaq32 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:00 pm

oken wrote:He is actually very observant:
It wasn’t the greatest thing that could’ve happened to us as a team, a bond. We were at war with those guys [Miami]. To go with the enemy, that’s unheard-of in sports. Well, it’s not so unheard of. It’s damn near common now.


OKC sure reciprocates to those who went to war with them though. See ya Harden, see ya Perk, see ya Dion, see ya Ibaka, see ya Morrow, see ya Russ' little dancing buddy
Image
gst8
Pro Prospect
Posts: 857
And1: 296
Joined: Dec 23, 2003

Re: Celts throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited 

Post#50 » by gst8 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:01 pm

JulesWinnfield wrote:
gst8 wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:There are a billion differences


Yet you've named only two. So, we've got one similarity, two differences, and one mitigating factor.

Sounds fairly close to me.


I actually named 4 if you read up this page in a prior post, I could go on longer but this is a dumb conversation that isn't worth another key stroke. If you find ray allens departure from Boston in 2012 as similar to KD in OKC in 2016, then fine. I can't convince you and it's pointless trying further. Because someone who holds that opinion in my mind is being *willfully* unreasonable


You really only named two, team trajectory and quality of player. The business about alienating Ray just substantiates the quality of player claim. Besides, it’s very easy to argue that OKC alienated KD in their own way by consistently trading players due to fiscal constraints and failing to implement a system that meshed him and Westbrook to his satisfaction. In terms of team trajectory, it’s fairly clear that KD, Pierce, and Rondo all felt they had one more run in them, otherwise their reaction to Ray’s defection wouldn’t have been nearly as strong. You can debate how realistic that belief was but in terms of level of betrayal, it’s not a whole lot different.
andrewww
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,883
And1: 1,400
Joined: Jul 26, 2006
     

Re: Celts throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited 

Post#51 » by andrewww » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:03 pm

This forum is hilarious.

If anything, Ray Ray deserves more heat (no pun intended) than either Lebron or KD. You can justify Lebron and KD leaving for situations to enhance their legacy better with multiple rings after they had given the organizations that drafted them the better part of a decade to win a title.

Ray Ray left Boston because he felt slighted by management and joined the Heat for less money than what Boston offered. He did it to piss off Celtics management with the 'its a business' tactic just like Boston shopped Ray Ray for the betterment of the team.

People these days dont know how to differentiate principle. No two situations are ever the same. Get over it? Barcelona to this day will never forgive Figo for his betrayal in joining Real Madrid. Easy for people to say 'just drop it'.
User avatar
JulesWinnfield
Analyst
Posts: 3,330
And1: 3,642
Joined: Mar 24, 2013
Location: NY
 

Re: Celts throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited 

Post#52 » by JulesWinnfield » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:06 pm

gst8 wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:
gst8 wrote:
Yet you've named only two. So, we've got one similarity, two differences, and one mitigating factor.

Sounds fairly close to me.


I actually named 4 if you read up this page in a prior post, I could go on longer but this is a dumb conversation that isn't worth another key stroke. If you find ray allens departure from Boston in 2012 as similar to KD in OKC in 2016, then fine. I can't convince you and it's pointless trying further. Because someone who holds that opinion in my mind is being *willfully* unreasonable


You really only named two, team trajectory and quality of player. The business about alienating Ray just substantiates the quality of player claim. Besides, it’s very easy to argue that OKC alienated KD in their own way by consistently trading players due to fiscal constraints and failing to implement a system that meshed him and Westbrook to his satisfaction. In terms of team trajectory, it’s fairly clear that KD, Pierce, and Rondo all felt they had one more run in them, otherwise their reaction to Ray’s defection wouldn’t have been nearly as strong. You can debate how realistic that belief was but in terms of level of betrayal, it’s not a whole lot different.


No I made 4. Hell one is good enough, if it takes convincing to you to illustrate that 2016 KD and 2012 Ray Allen were different animals based on the stage in their career alone, then no number of differences would satisfy you. Ending it right there is more than enough to signify a massive distinction that renders the comparison absurd

And in other words you dont find Boston benching Ray Allen and then lowballing him in that offseason (by his estimation) as a relevant difference at all between he and KDs decisions? Which just further illustrates my point that you are being willfully disingenuous in this entire conversation. Especially when you compare his active alienation to some things that went on with OKC management in Durants run. Boy you can stretch yourself to find similarities

It's debatable how much Boston even wanted Ray Allen back given they were phasing him out and made him the offer they did in FA

This is a ridiculous comparison and gets more so with every post
User avatar
Tron Carter
General Manager
Posts: 7,598
And1: 4,497
Joined: Jul 20, 2012
Location: NBA Purgatory
 

Re: Celts throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited 

Post#53 » by Tron Carter » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:20 pm

teerfour+40LG wrote:I remember Ray Allen.

Spoiler:
Image


i love how this "hacking" lead to ray allen going ghost from all social media :lol:
Frank Ntillmatic aka French Sinatra > Midget Smith Jr. #BongaBrigade
User avatar
JulesWinnfield
Analyst
Posts: 3,330
And1: 3,642
Joined: Mar 24, 2013
Location: NY
 

Re: Celts throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited 

Post#54 » by JulesWinnfield » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:21 pm

andrewww wrote:This forum is hilarious.

If anything, Ray Ray deserves more heat (no pun intended) than either Lebron or KD. You can justify Lebron and KD leaving for situations to enhance their legacy better with multiple rings after they had given the organizations that drafted them the better part of a decade to win a title.

Ray Ray left Boston because he felt slighted by management and joined the Heat for less money than what Boston offered. He did it to piss off Celtics management with the 'its a business' tactic just like Boston shopped Ray Ray for the betterment of the team.

People these days dont know how to differentiate principle. No two situations are ever the same. Get over it? Barcelona to this day will never forgive Figo for his betrayal in joining Real Madrid. Easy for people to say 'just drop it'.


So in other words Ray Allen was worse because he showed pride and didn't want to come crawling back to a management he felt had handled him improperly on multiple levels. In fact he felt he'd rather make them pay for those perceived slights

Understand that in admitting to not being able to identify with or understand his reasoning (and in fact bashing him for it), you basically snitch on yourself for not having an ounce of self respect. You can't identify with pride. This is basically what you tell us here. You are an employers dream

Aside from the fact that Allen was on his last legs, there is the other layer of perceived disrespect that Durant could never in a million years identify with when making his decision
User avatar
Froob
RealGM
Posts: 25,628
And1: 23,802
Joined: Nov 04, 2010
Location: Daniel Theis for MVP
     

Re: Celts throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited 

Post#55 » by Froob » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:25 pm

mischievous wrote:
Froob wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:Ok what did Ray Allen do deserve that? Was coming to miami that big of deal??

For me, I would have forgiven him by now if he didn't cry to the media to anybody who would listen for like a year and a half. I still love Wes Welker and hope he makes the Patriots' Hall of Fame. Also...Ray was kinda a fraud, considered to be the ultimate professional but whined when he had to come off the bench for Avery Bradley which was the best for the team at the time. He's no JET or Manu when it came to being a good teammate and doing what was best for the team. Had a rather large ego low key...

JulesWinnfield wrote:Didn't the Celts take ray allens starting job from him and give it to Avery Bradley late that last season? Of course Bradley would get hurt in the playoffs and Ray got his job back

I remember not being one bit surprised that Allen left, and taken aback by how salty Boston was about it given their circumstances

Bradley was out playing him and the bench needed an extra punch. It made a lot of sense. Ray should not have been offended being a sixth man.

Oh get over it dude.

Get over the dude dragging the team, the coaches, and the management through the mud? Not saying we are grateful for the success he brought, but we don't have to get over anything lol.
Image

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.


Celtics_History_Lesson wrote:Olynyk is a magical salary cap being


http://www.yeezus2020.com/
mischievous
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,185
And1: 2,184
Joined: Apr 18, 2015

Re: Celts throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited 

Post#56 » by mischievous » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:28 pm

Froob wrote:
mischievous wrote:
Froob wrote:For me, I would have forgiven him by now if he didn't cry to the media to anybody who would listen for like a year and a half. I still love Wes Welker and hope he makes the Patriots' Hall of Fame. Also...Ray was kinda a fraud, considered to be the ultimate professional but whined when he had to come off the bench for Avery Bradley which was the best for the team at the time. He's no JET or Manu when it came to being a good teammate and doing what was best for the team. Had a rather large ego low key...


Bradley was out playing him and the bench needed an extra punch. It made a lot of sense. Ray should not have been offended being a sixth man.

Oh get over it dude.

Get over the dude dragging the team, the coaches, and the management through the mud? Not saying we are grateful for the success he brought, but we don't have to get over anything lol.

I don't recall Allen crying and whinning to the media like you claim, but feel free to show evidence.
Pendragon wrote:Paul George prime > Dwayne Wade prime.
DoubleO8
Rookie
Posts: 1,084
And1: 307
Joined: Jan 18, 2017

Re: Celts throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited 

Post#57 » by DoubleO8 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:35 pm

No issue with this. Why invite him. I will say I find joy in awkward situations. If I was rondo I would invite him and, hope he comes. Then I would enjoy everyone feeling uncomfortable. LOL

Ps. That's messed up Ray could of at least let the dogs know you were leaving town.
HeartBreakKid
General Manager
Posts: 9,882
And1: 4,749
Joined: Mar 08, 2012
   

Re: Celts throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited 

Post#58 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:48 pm

The thing I don't like about Ray Allen is how he made it seem like he left the Celtics because he didn't like coming off the bench to Avery Bradley, when he really just wanted to ring chase. If he just left flat out, I wouldn't have any dislike for him because the Celtics were old as ****, but the guy pretended there was an issue about being a bench player and then he joins the Heat to become a bench player.
Optms
RealGM
Posts: 11,501
And1: 1,862
Joined: Jun 11, 2009
 

Re: Celts throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited 

Post#59 » by Optms » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:00 pm

I'm with the Celtics on this one.

Ray Allen is possibly be the biggest ring chaser with no sense of dignity of the last 15 years. Well. Lebron takes the cake for that one when he left Cleveland the first time but this one is pretty far up there simply because Ray already had his ring. And simply wanted to spite the organization because he couldn't handle being demoted when it made perfect basketball sense. His ego just couldn't allow him to concede.

Zach Randolph recently took a bench role with dignity and he's awesome for it. Now that's a true professional.
hege53190
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,227
And1: 1,026
Joined: Nov 29, 2001
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Re: Celts throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited 

Post#60 » by hege53190 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:09 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:The thing I don't like about Ray Allen is how he made it seem like he left the Celtics because he didn't like coming off the bench to Avery Bradley, when he really just wanted to ring chase. If he just left flat out, I wouldn't have any dislike for him because the Celtics were old as ****, but the guy pretended there was an issue about being a bench player and then he joins the Heat to become a bench player.


THE CELTICS WERE ACTIVELY SHOPPING RAY AT THE DEADLINE.

I mean he lost his starting spot and there were rumors everywhere that he was going to be traded.

If you were an employee and the company wanted to change your position, cut your hours and possibly move you across the country; would you say, "hey this is the company I came up with" or would you say, "you know what I better start looking at all my options". And if you looked at all your options would you say "hey I better not look at that company because they are a direct competitor"

No. You wouldn't. You would go to the situation that was best for you.

If Boston's management came out and said, "hey we are going to ride this team until the wheels fall off. You will always be a Boston Celtic." He would have probably stuck around. However loyalty is a 2 way street and franchises usually use the loyalty card just as long as it suits their interest.

Return to The General Board