WCQF | (2) San Antonio Spurs vs Memphis Grizzlies (7) | SAS 4-2

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who gets more points + assists + rebounds tonight?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:58 pm

Mike Conley
36%
Kawhi Leonard
64%

Total votes: 14

DubTheVanDamage
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,182

Re: WCQF | (2) San Antonio Spurs vs Memphis Grizzlies (7) | SAS 2-0 

Post#481 » by DubTheVanDamage » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:37 am

DROB27 wrote:Memphis lol blaming refs because they aren't good enough

Why do you have to be like this? The Spurs won and are up 2-0, can't you just be happy and not behave poorly?

Pretty clearly, the Grizzlies staff, players and fans are all very frustrated. Why not let them vent? Do you enjoy baiting people?

Did you mean your username to be irony?
“I pretty much played the last three games with a broken hand,” James said as he sat there with a softcast on the right hand.
alexb618
Rookie
And1: 870

Post#482 » by alexb618 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:40 am

when you have the world's biggest homer in sean elliot shaking his head at a bunch of those calls & non calls, you know the officials are making huge mistakes.

nobody wants to win and have this hanging over them, it is embarrassing.
Travis Outlaw: Oh man. That feels great. To have a bobblehead of me is just terrific.
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,699

Post#483 » by -Sammy- » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:41 am

Tinseltown wrote:The NBA has always protected the Spurs because they think the organization is good for the image of the league. Even when Robert Horry was body slamming Steve Nash, the NBA made sure to watch out for the Spurs and suspend several Suns players as well.

Sometimes, the league gets it wrong; 2007 wasn't one of those cases, as the players who were suspended clearly broke the rule they were penalized for breaking. Conversely, there've been plenty of instances of questionable officiating that have gone against the Spurs. The rub is that fans of every team say the same. NBA officiating has been consistently bad for years.

And for what it's worth, I concur that the reffing was terrible tonight, and I'm sorry to the Grizz fans (and b-ball fans of all stripes) who justifiably feel short-changed. Nobody wants their team to win like that, including me.
DROB27
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,119

Post#484 » by DROB27 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:43 am

DubTheVanDamage wrote:

Why do you have to be like this? The Spurs won and are up 2-0, can't you just be happy and not behave poorly?

Pretty clearly, the Grizzlies staff, players and fans are all very frustrated. Why not let them vent? Do you enjoy baiting people?

It was a joke my guy , if anyone took offense to that they need to revaluate their life tbh
xfactor
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,592

Post#485 » by xfactor » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:47 am

DROB27 wrote:
DubTheVanDamage wrote:

It was a joke my guy , if anyone took offense to that they need to revaluate their life tbh

joke
jōk/Submit
noun
a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline.

Hmm, That's why I missed it. :roll:
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,153

Post#486 » by cpower » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:48 am

The Spurs have been getting **** over by the refs for years now

the spurs have been getting *** over by the refs so the memphis team now deserve this? what kinda logic is that?
DROB27
Assistant Coach

Post#487 » by DROB27 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:49 am

cpower wrote:

The Spurs have been getting **** over by the refs for years now

the spurs have been getting *** over by the refs so the memphis team now deserve this? what kinda logic is that?

Point is teams get **** over every year .. it happens get over it
DROB27
Assistant Coach

Post#488 » by DROB27 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:52 am

Memphis commits the second most fouls in the league they're clearly not very discipline when it comes to not fouling
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#489 » by shawn_hemp » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:59 am

Some of the calls could have been no-calls but I feel like the Spurs were always going to win this series.
Apollo64
Starter
And1: 724

Post#490 » by Apollo64 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:10 am

xfactor wrote:Good for Fizdale....

Respect
jptremblay
Rookie
And1: 1,215

Post#491 » by jptremblay » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:42 am

Spurs are far superior...but c'mon refs, don't kill the game with those calls...it should have been a closer win for the Spurs...Memphis have the right to blame the to criticize the refs last night.
When this account gets more "And1"s than posts written ...then my life will be complete. And maybe it will be the right time to hang it up. (Achieved on 2017-2018 season)...but still here.
Salieri
Analyst
And1: 7,470

Post#492 » by Salieri » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:25 pm

People were saying this series was gonna be a snorefest because both teams play boring basketball and whatnot.

You wanna know what has become a snorefest? This thread.

We go back to discussing refs and calls, blaming the refs and if you check the last pages, you can see fans of both teams claiming that refs have historically disrespected both franchises. Yawn.

Breaking news: refs are human and commit mistakes. Fans are not objective and tend to identify stretches of perceived bad reffing and maximize their impact.

How about we go back to discussing whether Leonard actually is an elite shot creator according to what we saw, or how is Memphis adjusting to the absence of Allen, or the role Pop has planned Pau and Aldridge to play, or how Memphis is a more Marc dependant team than advisable, or the differences between both benches? Just an idea. Talking about basketball is much more interesting than scrolling through a series of rants and their counters, at least for me.
Stadium5
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,556

Post#493 » by Stadium5 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:30 pm

Salieri wrote:People were saying this series was gonna be a snorefest because both teams play boring basketball and whatnot.

You wanna know what has become a snorefest? This thread.

We go back to discussing refs and calls, blaming the refs and if you check the last pages, you can see fans of both teams claiming that refs have historically disrespected both franchises. Yawn.

Breaking news: refs are human and commit mistakes. Fans are not objective and tend to identify stretches of perceived bad reffing and maximize their impact.

How about we go back to discussing whether Leonard actually is an elite shot creator according to what we saw, or how is Memphis adjusting to the absence of Allen, or the role Pop has planned Pau and Aldridge to play, or how Memphis is a more Marc dependant team than advisable, or the differences between both benches? Just an idea. Talking about basketball is much more interesting than scrolling through a series of rants and their counters, at least for me.

Leonard might honestly be the Duncan of wing players. Just the absolute perfect body and personality for a coach to mold and perfect. They've got this guy watching MJ, Kobe and Barkley vids to learn from?? Lawd have mercy
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#494 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:51 pm

Tinseltown wrote:The NBA has always protected the Spurs because they think the organization is good for the image of the league. Even when Robert Horry was body slamming Steve Nash, the NBA made sure to watch out for the Spurs and suspend several Suns players as well.

Nash admitted years ago that he flopped on that play and tried to sell the call.

Horry was given a two-game suspension for that play. Meanwhile, in the Warriors/Jazz series that year, Baron Davis didn't get suspended at all for this play:

As far as the Amar'e/Diaw situation is concerned, the NBA's rulebook is crystal clear on what happens when players leave their bench during an altercation. According to Rule No. 12, Section VII, Item C:

During an altercation, all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench. Violators will be suspended, without pay, for a minimum of one game and fined up to $35,000. The suspensions will commence prior to the start of their next game. A team must have a minimum of eight players dressed and ready to play in every game. If five or more players leave the bench, the players will serve their suspensions alphabetically, according to the first letters of their last name. If seven bench players are suspended (assuming no participants are included), four of them would be suspended for the first game following the altercation. The remaining three would be suspended for the second game following the altercation.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_12.html?nav=ArticleList

Amar'e and Diaw violated the rule and had to face the consequences. Fans always complain about "star treatment," but then when a star (which Amar'e was at that point in his career) is held to the letter of the rules like any other player would be, fans start complaining about that too. Patrick Ewing was suspended for the same thing in Game 5 against Miami in '97, but people still act like Amar'e and Diaw's suspensions were totally unprecedented.

I'll never understand why people think that series was rigged for the Spurs. If that was the case, why would the refs keep ignoring Kurt Thomas' illegal screens and rewarding Raja Bell and Barbosa's flops? Why would they rig it for the "boring" Spurs instead of the high-octane Suns?
tbdog
Junior
And1: 113

Post#495 » by tbdog » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:02 pm

I think there an overreaction here. Spurs shot 23 FT’s in the first half. In the second, both teams shot 9. Both teams bigs were getting abused in the paint. I don’t see how the Grizzlies bigs were getting fouled more than the Spurs. As for Leonard, I think he earned all his FT’s, bar maybe one questionable call near the end where Gasol looked like he got a clear block. But you could technically give that a foul too. I think Conley deserved to go to the line more in the first half. Even if Conley went to the line a few more deserved times, the Spurs still earned it more.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#496 » by lobosloboslobos » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:17 pm

Zbo should have shot a handful of FTs and a couple of those fouls beyond the arc were dubious. Having said that, although I sympathize with the Grizz and think they have a right to feel somewhat burned the Spurs were the better team overall imo.
bobobolas10
Senior
And1: 307

Post#497 » by bobobolas10 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:15 pm

First of all, I believe the Spurs are a better team that the grizzs. I even bet that they will win this year but...

Whoever says that the 4th Q was not poorly officiated is completly wrong. Once the game was close to 5 points, the effort the grizzs did to put it from 19 to 5 against the best team in the league.

I will pinpoint the exact time where, in my opinion, the refs got it all wrong.

4th Q, 6:43, Zbo scores and should have been and1. (Score was 80-75)

The very next play, illegal screen from lamarcus to Conley. Green scored a 3. Should have been offensive foul (push). (83-75)

Grizzs rushed a couple of three they missed and after that, happened what someone already mentioned: Khawi lay-up and Gasol´s three. Game Over.
"Take that for Data!"
Rust_Cohle
Starter
And1: 2,226

Post#498 » by Rust_Cohle » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:17 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:

Nash admitted years ago that he flopped on that play and tried to sell the call.

Horry was given a two-game suspension for that play. Meanwhile, in the Warriors/Jazz series that year, Baron Davis didn't get suspended at all for this play:

As far as the Amar'e/Diaw situation is concerned, the NBA's rulebook is crystal clear on what happens when players leave their bench during an altercation. According to Rule No. 12, Section VII, Item C:

During an altercation, all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench. Violators will be suspended, without pay, for a minimum of one game and fined up to $35,000. The suspensions will commence prior to the start of their next game. A team must have a minimum of eight players dressed and ready to play in every game. If five or more players leave the bench, the players will serve their suspensions alphabetically, according to the first letters of their last name. If seven bench players are suspended (assuming no participants are included), four of them would be suspended for the first game following the altercation. The remaining three would be suspended for the second game following the altercation.

Amar'e and Diaw violated the rule and had to face the consequences. Fans always complain about "star treatment," but then when a star (which Amar'e was at that point in his career) is held to the letter of the rules like any other player would be, fans start complaining about that too. Patrick Ewing was suspended for the same thing in Game 5 against Miami in '97, but people still act like Amar'e and Diaw's suspensions were totally unprecedented.

I'll never understand why people think that series was rigged for the Spurs. If that was the case, why would the refs keep ignoring Kurt Thomas' illegal screens and rewarding Raja Bell and Barbosa's flops? Why would they rig it for the "boring" Spurs instead of the high-octane Suns?

This post deserves 100 +1's.

Nash absolutely flopped on the play and like you said, admitted to it. At no point in that series did the Suns have the series lead and with a well rested Amare/Diaw they got absolutely clobbered in Game 6. Horry getting two games for that was an absolute joke, but of course Nash milked it for all it was worth.

I understand Suns fans being frustrated at those turn of events, but if Nash didn't go flying into the announcer's table I don't think Amare/Diaw would've stepped onto the court. Horry's play was unnecessary, but the Suns were always playing catch up in that series.
bobobolas10
Senior
And1: 307

Post#499 » by bobobolas10 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:27 pm

Chinook wrote:His numbers were stupid. Fouls don't come from attempts in the paint exclusively. Even if they did, merely driving doesn't mean you get calls. The Spurs have great shot-blockers, while the Grizz had some d-leaguers and some men next to Marc. Yes, it's entirely believable that Memphis could come away with not a ton of FTs.

Memphis has earned a reputation as a defensive powerhouse. If they aren't getting respect, it's because Fiz himself has soiled their rep. Or maybe it's because Kawhi is by far the best player on either team, and with no Allen, there's no way Memphis can legitimately guard him. They got away with plenty of contact on Kawhi, especially early.

Again, if you want to say Kawhi got too many calls, that's fine. But Fiz making it seem like FTs should be even is ridiculous. If anything, the need for "make-up calls" is a bigger threat to officiating than skewed numbers.

Agreed with a couple of things: Khawi is the best on either team and Memphis cant guard him properly.

Scoring those 31 FT made the whole difference. Khawi did not deserve those 19 FTA. For instance, check an example at 2:34 in the 4th. Should have a jump-ball with Marc Gasol. Instead, he got the 2FTA and Gasol got more pissed off. when that happens over and over and you dont get those calls on the other side of the court, players tend to get nervious and anxious. That affects every player and every team on earth.

What Fiz said regarding: More game in the paint means more Free Throw Attempts. You cant argue with that.

Now I expect a Game three better officiated but still, Spurs are a super elite team that if they have a regular night, they might get the 3-0 regardless how good we play or how poor/good officiated it is.
"Take that for Data!"
andrewww
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#500 » by andrewww » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:29 pm

Rust_Cohle wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

This post deserves 100 +1's.

Nash absolutely flopped on the play and like you said, admitted to it. At no point in that series did the Suns have the series lead and with a well rested Amare/Diaw they got absolutely clobbered in Game 6. Horry getting two games for that was an absolute joke, but of course Nash milked it for all it was worth.

I understand Suns fans being frustrated at those turn of events, but if Nash didn't go flying into the announcer's table I don't think Amare/Diaw would've stepped onto the court. Horry's play was unnecessary, but the Suns were always playing catch up in that series.

I like the Spurs. I really do. But the Spurs were playing catch up in that series, and its been documented that the league didnt like the way Suns owner Robert Sarver treated refs in general. The league plays favorites depending on the circumstances, this is not exclusive to the Spurs or any team in particular. I've always though the Suns should've won in 2007, just as the Spurs should've won in 2013.

Return to The General Board