Bulls biggest threat to Cavs in East

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Re: Bulls biggest threat to Cavs in East 

Post#81 » by Slartibartfast » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:59 pm

Why is everybody so enthralled by the Wizards? I really like some of their guys, but I think they are an easy match-up for the Cavs. They are terrible defensively - they were giving up 111+ post-ASB.

They also drew the worst EC team - the Hawks are by far the worst playoff team in terms of SRS - so I wouldn't be too impressed with their first round performance.

They can win some shootouts and they have some good individual defenders in Morris and Wall (when motivated), but in a clash of all O, no D teams, I'm picking the team with LBJ/Irving/Love and a talented bench over Wall/Beal/Morris and an awful bench every time.

That's not to say that the Bulls would bother the Cavs much, but I'd like their chances better. They can at least defend. And the Cavs defense is porous enough that it would alleviate the Bulls' offensive dysfunction. Not enough to win, I don't think, but a better shot than Washington.

The Raps the best chance. Best combo of defensive potential and offensive ability.
NBAllKnow
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#82 » by NBAllKnow » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:00 pm

G35 wrote:
RingsDontLie wrote:Its Wade's ability to close out games that elevates the bulls in my mind especially when were talking about playoff basketball.

I've seen Wade matched up against a Lebron team. Whenever the games get tight, Lebron matches up on Wade and shuts him down. Lebron does this vs all the other EC playoff teams and it works every time. This is why none of the other teams have a chance. You have to have a player that can: a) beat Lebron one on one, or b) occupy Lebron with your superstar and the rest of your team exploits weaknesses in the other Cavs defenders.

smokeylarue wrote:Can't believe it hasn't been said yet. Bulls swept the Cavs this season 4-0. They absolutely are a threat, but I doubt the Bulls get past Washington.

When did this happen? I have never seen Lebron shut down Wade?? :noway:
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,564

Post#83 » by jpengland » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:04 pm

Bucks and Wizards bigger threats IMO.
The Evidence
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,620

Post#84 » by The Evidence » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:05 pm

I like John Wall alot, but outside of him, the Wizards aren't really a scary team.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#85 » by Slartibartfast » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Tetlak wrote:
RingsDontLie wrote:You guys are telling me that John Wall and Beal are some how a bigger threat than a Butler and Wade with Rhondo playing this well? What am I missing here? What is making the Wizards that much better?

The Wizards have more shooting. The starting 5 fits very well and they have quality players on the bench like Smith, Bog, and even Jennings. They can also play either big or small. Do I believe they are better than the Bulls? No. But the above reasons are why people like them a lot.

The Wizards have a terrible bench, especially with Mahinmi out. Bogdanovic is horrific. Probably the worst defender in the league and an empty stats offensive player. Jennings is serviceable but mostly toast. Smith is a mediocrity. Oubre is too green.
Aurelius
Junior
And1: 699

Post#86 » by Aurelius » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:16 pm

ECF are exclusively on TNT. If the Bulls make it there then the Cavs are finished.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#87 » by Indomitable » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:18 pm

GimmeDat wrote:
dlts20 wrote:Wizards are by far the worst match up in the East for both the Cavs and Bulls

This. My money's on the Wizards. So underrated.

They have 3 prime players in their prime. Wall is a monster.
:banghead:
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,803

Post#88 » by jc23 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:20 pm

no, unlike the celtics the cavs can rebound. Their defense is suspect as hell though.
Be curious, Not judgmental
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#89 » by Indomitable » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:24 pm

RingsDontLie wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:
RingsDontLie wrote:I think Bulls probably match up best with the CAVS. They got a good balance of vets and talent both offensively and defensively. Put Butler on Lebron, Rhondo on Kyrie. Then you got the dangerous closer in Wade who can take over a series still. Just seems like the Bulls are coming together and meshing well at the right time. Would like to see this series.

The 41-41 Bulls? Nah. Boston gave us a glimpse of what they were going to be like in the playoffs in the last Cavs-Celtics game. In other words, they weren't ready for the type of scrutiny and pressure the playoffs bring for a #1 seed. Boston would've performed much better as a #2 or #3 seed.

So I'd still say the Raptors. They are an experienced group now - with ECF history - and leaders that are increasingly learning how to play with short memories.

After Toronto I'd probably say the Bucks.

ECF history versus championship history on the bulls? What? Gotta remember this Bulls team had injury issues to wade and butler in february. They had in team fighting as well. I really think it has more to do with the bulls chemistry finally coming together. mirotic and zipser seem to be nice long distance shooters to spread the floor. I just dont see how wiz can beat the bulls. I think lowrys speed will pose as an issue though for the bulls. but lowry also has been known to disappear and struggle.

The Bulls only play Lowry if they beat LeBron. You know that right. Oh and who in the heck is Rhonda.
:banghead:
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,255

Post#90 » by deneem4 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:49 pm

Lebron cant defend wall and beal at the same time
Shumpert cant stop wall...no beal(esepcially beal he broke his ankles last game and injured him)

Kyrie cant guard neither and is too small for porter

If morris gets cooking him and love is a wash...

The cavs cant beat the wizards in 7...lebron played his best game of the season againsy them and still barely won in o.t.
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,141

Post#91 » by jbk1234 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:53 pm

RingsDontLie wrote:You guys are telling me that John Wall and Beal are some how a bigger threat than a Butler and Wade with Rhondo playing this well? What am I missing here? What is making the Wizards that much better?

And Porter who is a good two-way SF. A legit seven footer in Gortat. Oubre off the bench. It's the Wizards and it's not really close.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,141

Post#92 » by jbk1234 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:54 pm

deneem4 wrote:Lebron cant defend wall and beal at the same time
Shumpert cant stop wall...no beal(esepcially beal he broke his ankles last game and injured him)

The cavs cant beat the wizards in 7...lebron played his best game of the season againsy them and still barely won in o.t.

Wizards have a shot against the Cavs but the notion is that the Cavs can't beat them is dumb.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,255

Post#93 » by deneem4 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:02 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
deneem4 wrote:Lebron cant defend wall and beal at the same time

Wizards have a shot against the Cavs but the notion is that the Cavs can't beat them is dumb.

They have a huge shot...
Probably the best in the east
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
tonegully757
Senior
And1: 177

Post#94 » by tonegully757 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:03 pm

ATL matches up the best to the Cavs.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,790

Post#95 » by NZB2323 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:35 pm

Cowbulls wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:
Cowbulls wrote:
I'm pretty sure I'm not. Those peoples arguments probably had the Bulls beating the Cavs in the playoffs. I'm arguing that your post " Lebron always beats the bulls in the playoffs" is lazy because it is. Lebron always beat the 2010-2015 Bulls. He has NEVER played this Bulls team in the playoffs. I could say LeBron owns the Lakers in the playoffs and it would be as true as your original post.

Team X beat Lebron in the regular season, so they'd beat him in the playoffs is a lazy argument that has been proven to be false.

That's not lazy that's just dumb. Lebron is the best player in the league and he should be in the finals fairly easily once again. What I'm essentially trying to do here is make you a non lazy poster. Instead of, "Lebron has proven he will beat the Bulls in the playoffs."(lazy & not really true because this is a completely different Bulls team that he's beaten) Try... "Even though Lebron has yet to beat this new look Bulls team in the regular season, Lebron has proven that he steps up in the playoffs and should be able to beat the Bulls and any other Eastern conference team in a best of 7 series." ( not lazy and true )

That's not my argument. My argument is that who Lebron has regular season success and/or failure against is completely unrelated to how well they do against him in the playoffs, as evidence by the Bulls owning Lebron in the regular season, and Lebron owning them in the playoffs. On the other hand Lebron was 2-0 against the Spurs in the regular season in 2007 and got swept by them in the playoffs.
akhan786
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#96 » by akhan786 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:59 pm

As a Cavs fan, I agree.

I've laughed all season long at Raptors, Wizards, and Celtics fans who think they have a chance against the Cavs but this Bulls team....we all saw what happened last time Rondo played Lebron in the playoffs.

I'm going to be a ball of confused emotions if they meet in the ECF, because Rondo back in 08 is what got me into loving NBA basketball. And now my new favorite player Kyrie is going to have to go up against him.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#97 » by dlts20 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:04 pm

The Evidence wrote:I like John Wall alot, but outside of him, the Wizards aren't really a scary team.

There starting 5 all averages double figures and have been a top 3 rated 5 man group in the NBA all year. Porter has been top 3 rated in 3pt percentage all season. Beal at only 23 years of age averaged over 23ppg on a ts over 60. Mahimi was a beast down the stretch after returning from injury
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#98 » by The_Hater » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:12 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:Why is everybody so enthralled by the Wizards? .

Because some people want to pick an alternative to the struggling Cavs.

Because they were the only other top 4 seed to win their opening game.

The Cavs might be vulnerable in the east this season but there isn't a viable opponent to push them off their perch right now.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,725

Post#99 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:13 pm

RingsDontLie wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:
RingsDontLie wrote:I think Bulls probably match up best with the CAVS. They got a good balance of vets and talent both offensively and defensively. Put Butler on Lebron, Rhondo on Kyrie. Then you got the dangerous closer in Wade who can take over a series still. Just seems like the Bulls are coming together and meshing well at the right time. Would like to see this series.

The 41-41 Bulls? Nah. Boston gave us a glimpse of what they were going to be like in the playoffs in the last Cavs-Celtics game. In other words, they weren't ready for the type of scrutiny and pressure the playoffs bring for a #1 seed. Boston would've performed much better as a #2 or #3 seed.

So I'd still say the Raptors. They are an experienced group now - with ECF history - and leaders that are increasingly learning how to play with short memories.

After Toronto I'd probably say the Bucks.

ECF history versus championship history on the bulls? What? Gotta remember this Bulls team had injury issues to wade and butler in february. They had in team fighting as well. I really think it has more to do with the bulls chemistry finally coming together. mirotic and zipser seem to be nice long distance shooters to spread the floor. I just dont see how wiz can beat the bulls. I think lowrys speed will pose as an issue though for the bulls. but lowry also has been known to disappear and struggle.

C'mon, no one on that team still around from when they won a chapionship last in 1998...lol
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,918

Post#100 » by tundraknight » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:18 pm

Of course someone has to make this thread right after the Bulls took the 2-0 lead on the Celtics, thinking it will make him look smart.

Return to The General Board