Will ANY NBA team visit the white house?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Carlos_Danger
Junior
And1: 623

Re: Will ANY NBA team visit the white house? 

Post#101 » by Carlos_Danger » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:39 am

Senbonzakura wrote:If you're a Trump supporter you're either an idiot or a racist, misogynist, islamophobe or the like.

THIS is the good stuff right here. Everyone who is against Trump should let Trump supporters or people who are even THINKING about maybe voting to reelect him in 2020 have it like this. As often as possible.

This rational and reasoned argument will change hearts and minds and the GOP will totally not increase their Senate majority in Nov. 2018 with all those 2012 Obama reelection year Senate seats up for grabs again.
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,672

Post#102 » by LordCovington33 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:02 am

I don't give a toss if they visit or not. Most are sheep anyway, and do whatever they think is popular. Anyway, I thought this was a basketball forum. Get enough politics when I visit my old folks. :banghead:
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#103 » by Eoghan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:04 am

RxMidnight wrote:Believe it or not people we've had Republican/conservative Presidents in the past, and championship teams still visited the White House in those years. Sure there might have been 1 or 2 holdouts a year, but the team as a whole still showed up. Being a sore loser is very unbecoming of grown men. Conservative athletes still went to visit Obama even if they disagreed with his policies and ideology, and I expect the same for liberal athletes.

Not Bruins goalie Tim Thomas. He dared to not attend the White House while the great Obama occupied it.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,463

Post#104 » by Myth » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:06 am

DK-All Day wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:There are a ton of players from the pats skipping today's white house visit. The NBA is more liberal than the NFL and a bunch of players and coaches have outright criticized Trump. There is NO WAY that I see any NBA champion visiting the White House while Trump is there.

Only seven player are skipping. The rest are going.

And no, I don't see a NBA team skipping the White House visit.

I thought I read over half did not attend. Like 34 skipped is what I thought I read, not 7.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,987

Post#105 » by zimpy27 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:07 am

Why would they skip the white house?

Is this common in US, to disrespect the presidency? It's still an honour to go, regardless if the person you voted for doesn't get in. Seems like not shaking hands with opponents after taking a loss.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#106 » by leolozon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:09 am

Cyrusman122000 wrote:
leolozon wrote:
Cyrusman122000 wrote:What makes the NBA more liberal than the NFL?!

You really going to make someone say it?

Think skin and how much of it you see.

There has to be other factors, like football is about war and conquering a territory, but I think we will still come back to race... unfortunately.

The most liberal fans are watching the WNBA, the most conservative fans are watching golf.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201303/how-politics-correlate-sports-interests

The NFL fans aren't even that much conservative, but the NBA fans are mostly liberal for sure.

I'm confused TBH. When you say think skin you mean skin color?
Cause if that's the case the NFL is mostly black players.
I'm just trying to understand what makes the NBA such a "liberal" league

That's why I said "how much of it you see".

In the NFL, the uniform is what you see first. You are far from the action, players are wearing helmets and padding. In the NBA, players are close and are wearing shorts and jerseys.
Also, the faces of the league are all black players.

In 2013 :

Ethnicity of the fan base
NFL 23% non-white (15% Black, 8% Hispanic)
NBA 60% non-white (45% Black, 12 % Hispanic)

Black people and Hispanic people are more liberal on average.

The NBA has one of the youngest fan base.
NFL 20% 18-34 years old
NBA 32% 18-34 years old

Young people are more liberal on average.

Also, people winning less than 40k are representing 34% of the NBA fan base, while they represent 26% of the NFL fan base. Poor people are more liberal on average.

http://opendorse.com/blog/2013-sports-fan-demographics/
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,337

Post#107 » by Scalabrine » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:17 am

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Ice Man wrote:
J Shuttlesworth wrote:Yeah also don't see Warriors visiting the White House. Kerr and Curry are obviously very anti-trump, and they seem like a pretty non-conservative type of team.

Not just that, but their fan base is about as blue as a fan base gets. That would be a deeply unpopular decision with the fans, even if the Warriors wanted to go (which most of them wouldn't).

yup

Edit: I see this graph was already posted

Based on the demographics of the league we can assume Trump isn't popular. The best players in the league are African Americans who hate Trump and immigrant who hate Trump too. NBA fans are extremely democratic. Many of the coaches of the top title contenders have denounced Trump: Lebron, Kerr, Popovich.

I would be extremely surprised if people go.

And1 for the bolded.
Go Knicks!
Crooked-I
General Manager
And1: 2,686

Post#108 » by Crooked-I » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:20 am

Is everyone sure only 7 Patriots opted out? lol

EDIT: maybe this picture is fake news like Trumps small inauguration crowd size.
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

RIP Kobe and Gigi
Erifee
Senior
And1: 305

Post#109 » by Erifee » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:25 am

RxMidnight wrote:Believe it or not people we've had Republican/conservative Presidents in the past, and championship teams still visited the White House in those years.

None of those presidents spread a racist conspiracy theory about their predecessor.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:His Suns about 5 or 6 years ago came close to getting to the Finals who got ripped off in that one playoff series when he was thrown across a table by Robert Horry who you might also consider an excellent core piece.
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,487

Post#110 » by Bankai » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:28 am

If people skip the White House visit it will be because the President is racist, discriminate, and sexist loud mouth, not because he is Republican. People disagree with the person that the POTUS is, not their political affiliation.

People have skipped Obama and Bush visits over lesser things. Its alot easier to dislike Trump because of who he is.
Carlos_Danger
Junior
And1: 623

Post#111 » by Carlos_Danger » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:30 am

Crooked-I wrote:
EDIT: maybe this picture is fake news like Trumps small inauguration crowd size.

Your intuition is correct. Noted purveyor of fake news, the New York Times, was put in its place by the New England Patriots over this photo today:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Crooked-I
General Manager
And1: 2,686

Post#112 » by Crooked-I » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:35 am

Carlos_Danger wrote:

Read on Twitter

That Patriots tweet sounds like fake news too I don't know what to believe anymore.
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

RIP Kobe and Gigi
ReturnofMVP3
RealGM
And1: 11,580

Post#113 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:35 am

Maybe they can go to the EPA head office and advocate for climate change instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Donald Trump is an idiot.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,658

Post#114 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:41 am

Haha this thread is fun.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,658

Post#115 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:46 am

Crooked-I wrote:
Carlos_Danger wrote:

Read on Twitter

That Patriots tweet sounds like fake news too I don't know what to believe anymore.

This is also another picture taken today, but many people writing articles or wanting to talk about it chose to show the other pic instead of this one.

Cyrusman122000
Analyst
And1: 2,919

Post#116 » by Cyrusman122000 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:46 am

Crooked-I wrote:
Carlos_Danger wrote:

Read on Twitter

That's definitely the real Patriots twitter account
Cyrusman122000
Analyst
And1: 2,919

Post#117 » by Cyrusman122000 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:47 am

Carlos_Danger wrote:
Crooked-I wrote:

Your intuition is correct. Noted purveyor of fake news, the New York Times, was put in its place by the New England Patriots over this photo today:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Thank you for this find. Truly unbelieving how some news outlets can be such scumbags. No surprise the New York TImes would do this
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#118 » by monopoman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:49 am

I really doubt any team that visits the white house actually gets time to converse with the President. You basically come in as a group do some photo ops and shake his hand, sure you could maybe mention something to him then but I'm sure he would just ignore it.

These events are not for random players to voice their concerns with the President.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#119 » by Eoghan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:51 am

I wish my President had better things to do than pretend to give a chit about random team from random sport winning random championship.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,888

Post#120 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:53 am

Carlos_Danger wrote:
Senbonzakura wrote:If you're a Trump supporter you're either an idiot or a racist, misogynist, islamophobe or the like.

THIS is the good stuff right here. Everyone who is against Trump should let Trump supporters or people who are even THINKING about maybe voting to reelect him in 2020 have it like this. As often as possible.

This rational and reasoned argument will change hearts and minds and the GOP will totally not increase their Senate majority in Nov. 2018 with all those 2012 Obama reelection year Senate seats up for grabs again.

As opposed to the rational and reasoned arguments that Trump put forth like "building a giant wall" and "banning Muslims."

We don't need to change the minds of Trump voters. They made up 45% of the electorate.

We just need more Democrats to turn out like they did for Obama.

I'd love to see a historically unpopular President increase his senate majority in 2018. The house is already toast.

Return to The General Board