Will ANY NBA team visit the white house?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Re: Will ANY NBA team visit the white house? 

Post#81 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:34 pm

Cyrusman122000 wrote:
leolozon wrote:
Cyrusman122000 wrote:What makes the NBA more liberal than the NFL?!

You really going to make someone say it?

Think skin and how much of it you see.

There has to be other factors, like football is about war and conquering a territory, but I think we will still come back to race... unfortunately.

The most liberal fans are watching the WNBA, the most conservative fans are watching golf.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201303/how-politics-correlate-sports-interests

The NFL fans aren't even that much conservative, but the NBA fans are mostly liberal for sure.

I'm confused TBH. When you say think skin you mean skin color?
Cause if that's the case the NFL is mostly black players.
I'm just trying to understand what makes the NBA such a "liberal" league

That doesn't matter.

The stars of the NFL are still mostly white players. The quarter back position is still dominated by white players.

Not the case at all in the NBA.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#82 » by RSCD3_ » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:35 pm

DK-All Day wrote:
Ice Man wrote:
J Shuttlesworth wrote:Yeah also don't see Warriors visiting the White House. Kerr and Curry are obviously very anti-trump, and they seem like a pretty non-conservative type of team.

Not just that, but their fan base is about as blue as a fan base gets. That would be a deeply unpopular decision with the fans, even if the Warriors wanted to go (which most of them wouldn't).

By that logic, the Mavs would have skipped Obama's invitation.

dallas is something like an oasis for liberals in texas, still not as blue as other cities but it has a younger, liberal base where it probably wouldnt change much one way or the other
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#83 » by RSCD3_ » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:41 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Cyrusman122000 wrote:I'm just trying to understand what makes the NBA such a "liberal" league

American politics is divided by race, religion and ethnicity. The GOP is the party of White, Religious Americans. African Americans and immigrants are disproportionately Democratic. The top players in the NBA are overwhelmingly African American or immigrants. There are virtually none elite White American players save Kevin Love. In the NFL, there are many elite white players at the most important position in the sport: QB.

The chart that has been posted in this thread shows NBA fans are vastly more democratic than republican. As a result it is fair to say the NBA is more liberal than the NFL.

Hey dont forget White Lebron aka Gordon Hayward
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,534

Post#84 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:44 pm

RSCD3_ wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
Cyrusman122000 wrote:I'm just trying to understand what makes the NBA such a "liberal" league

American politics is divided by race, religion and ethnicity. The GOP is the party of White, Religious Americans. African Americans and immigrants are disproportionately Democratic. The top players in the NBA are overwhelmingly African American or immigrants. There are virtually none elite White American players save Kevin Love. In the NFL, there are many elite white players at the most important position in the sport: QB.

The chart that has been posted in this thread shows NBA fans are vastly more democratic than republican. As a result it is fair to say the NBA is more liberal than the NFL.

Hey dont forget White Lebron aka Gordon Hayward

Good call, I did forget Hayward who might be a Republican based on demographics: White, Male, Gentile, Millionaire, some college but no degree.
SweetBro
Junior
And1: 776

Post#85 » by SweetBro » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:48 pm

If the Raptors win they should visit War of 1812 style.
Senbonzakura
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,920

Post#86 » by Senbonzakura » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:19 pm

Cyrusman122000 wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:

I see. The thing is teams went to the white house every year George W Bush was in office, so this can't be just about a republican vs democrat thing

It's not about republican vs. democrat.

Can people stop tiptoeing around this issue? Players don't want to go to the White House because the President campaigned on racism and discrimination and demonstrated himself to be a racist and xenophobe as well. That's why players don't want to be associated with him or dignify his office.

If you have a problem with that you can go **** yourself. Maybe he should treat other people with respect if he wants to be respected and revered as president. The guy is human trash.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#87 » by hoophabit » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:27 pm

Well, maybe, if the Grand Wizard is at Mar-a-Lago. ;-)
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#88 » by NBAFan93 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:49 pm

Cyrusman122000 wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:

I see. The thing is teams went to the white house every year George W Bush was in office, so this can't be just about a republican vs democrat thing

Trump's comments about minorities, homosexuals and women make him a special case. It is beyond republican vs. democrat when it comes to him for many. If any of the other republication candidates would have won, this wouldn't be a thread.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#89 » by Michael Lucky » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:54 pm

Naturally some will. It's called bragging rights. You don't exactly get to meet the president whenever you want.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#90 » by Michael Lucky » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:55 pm

SweetBro wrote:If the Raptors win they should visit War of 1812 style.

If the Raptors win, they won't be invited. lol
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,192

Post#91 » by NyKnicks1714 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:10 am

Considering Trump's pettiness, the White House may very well not extend an invitation to the Warriors, Spurs, or Cavs.
Ganji
Analyst
And1: 1,912

Post#92 » by Ganji » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:15 am

well trump is 1st American president to support gay weddings/rights, before he took the office, and he will be the 1st president to give maternity leave support for women, so who ever boycotts him is a misogynist patriarchal homophob.
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#93 » by tarantism » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:07 am

Ganji wrote:well trump is 1st American president to support gay weddings/rights, before he took the office, and he will be the 1st president to give maternity leave support for women, so who ever boycotts him is a misogynist patriarchal homophob.

:o
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
shanghaifanzi
Senior
And1: 796

Post#94 » by shanghaifanzi » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:21 am

they will all still visit white house for ivanka :rofl:
MEGAQUIB
Junior
And1: 194

Post#95 » by MEGAQUIB » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:26 am

Donald Trump has done more for this country than any player in the NBA.
RxMidnight
Senior
And1: 624

Post#96 » by RxMidnight » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:17 am

Believe it or not people we've had Republican/conservative Presidents in the past, and championship teams still visited the White House in those years. Sure there might have been 1 or 2 holdouts a year, but the team as a whole still showed up. Being a sore loser is very unbecoming of grown men. Conservative athletes still went to visit Obama even if they disagreed with his policies and ideology, and I expect the same for liberal athletes.
Carlos_Danger
Junior
And1: 623

Post#97 » by Carlos_Danger » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:33 am

Senbonzakura wrote:the President campaigned on racism and discrimination and demonstrated himself to be a racist and xenophobe as well.

Just keep regurgitating this stuff. Sane, level headed Americans who are "swing" voters willing to vote either way will finally believe it ANY DAY NOW and the destruction of the American left will come to an end in the 2018 mid terms and things will turn around. You should also keep driving the Trump is a Russian manchurian candidate conspiracy theories too. Voters who aren't brain damaged lunatics totally love that as well.

The GOP across the country at the local, state, and federal level is as strong as it has been in a century only because their opposition hasn't been dramatic enough. The voters want to see more raw emotion, more tears, more hysterical screaming and yelling about racism and privilege and Trump being LITERALLY HITLER. Let everyone who believes in securing our borders, enforcing our duly enacted immigration laws, and American nationalism know that they are brown-shirts following a xenophobic racist. These people are isolated in rural, suburuban, and urban enclaves in a majority of U.S. states. With the good people of the state of California on your side, letting these hard-working, blue collar, married with children, tax paying, church going scum bags know how evil and racist they are for being who they are and believing what they do is the ticket to winning the national popular vote during presidential election years, which is very significant and important unlike the electoral college, local elections, state elections, and congressional elections, by an even larger margin.
bigpimpatl
Veteran
And1: 1,256

Post#98 » by bigpimpatl » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:33 am

RxMidnight wrote:Believe it or not people we've had Republican/conservative Presidents in the past, and championship teams still visited the White House in those years. Sure there might have been 1 or 2 holdouts a year, but the team as a whole still showed up. Being a sore loser is very unbecoming of grown men. Conservative athletes still went to visit Obama even if they disagreed with his policies and ideology, and I expect the same for liberal athletes.

I agree.

Even if players are anti-Trump, why wouldn't they take advantage of the opportunity to express their views to the guy, in person? That would send a much stronger message then just holding out and saying F Trump, don't agree, not my president etc.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,561

Post#99 » by dc » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:34 am

RxMidnight wrote:Believe it or not people we've had Republican/conservative Presidents in the past, and championship teams still visited the White House in those years. Sure there might have been 1 or 2 holdouts a year, but the team as a whole still showed up. Being a sore loser is very unbecoming of grown men. Conservative athletes still went to visit Obama even if they disagreed with his policies and ideology, and I expect the same for liberal athletes.

The trend of championship teams visiting the Whitehouse is a relatively new one. It started during Reagan's administration. I forgot who visited, but it was intended to be a one time thing that suddenly morphed into a tradition.

I think this year is a special circumstances because of how polarizing a figure Trump is and has little to do with party affiliation, as it never seemed to be an issue before this year.

Prior to this year, it's been 20 years of teams visiting Republican presidents and 16 years of visiting Democratic presidents and there was never anything close to this groundswell of controversy as it is this year. It has more to do with Trump than any party affiliation. I doubt there would be any such controversy if guys like McCain or Romney were in office.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
Senbonzakura
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,920

Post#100 » by Senbonzakura » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:34 am

Hey Trump supporter. It's not about his ideologies or policy, it's about what the racism, islamophobia and misogyny the guy has pushed and represented. This same sentiment wasn't there when Bush was president, it's not about winning or losing.

The guy doesn't deserve respect, so stop telling the players they should give it to him. If you're a Trump supporter you're either an idiot or a racist, misogynist, islamophobe or the like.

Senbonzakura wrote:

Personal attack/insult. This topic is already incendiary; there's no need to try to offend people because you might not agree with their politics.

- Sammy

Return to The General Board