Do you consider LeBron James a good role model?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Is LeBron a good role model for kids to look up to

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 266

heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,134

Re: Do you consider LeBron James a good role model? 

Post#21 » by heatwillbeback » Fri Jun 9, 2017 4:37 pm

Yea, without question.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#22 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 4:37 pm

Prince187 wrote:I don't know what you guys are talking about it. He's a terrible role model. I can't believe how low our standards have sunk. Not committing crimes or donating some money to charity when you make 85 million a year and can write it off as a tax deduction doesn't make a you good role model. It's setting a good example that people can follow. LeBron does a piss poor job at that.

You want your kids thinking that the Decision is something they should emulate? Or abandoning his teammates in Miami when the rode got too tough. Throwing his teammates under the bus regularly, constantly complaining and whining to the refs and making gestures on the court, coming off arrogant and self centered in interviews, the stories of him treating restaurant workers and low level of NBA workers with disrespect,not listening to coaches, hitting on women when he's married, taking games off and then going out to the club, not trying on defense,etc

How could anyone possibly think someone like that is a good role model for children to look up to and try to behave like.

This is an excellent parody of LeBron haters. Well done.
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,634

Post#23 » by OdomFan » Fri Jun 9, 2017 4:38 pm

People like him and James Harden are the last players I'd look up to If I were a kid watching the NBA today.
andrewww
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#24 » by andrewww » Fri Jun 9, 2017 4:40 pm

Role model you say...

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2012/07/did-lebron-james-father-a-love-child-with-journalist-sharon-reed-her-lawyer-says-no/

Bron bron's PR team has improved a lot since 2010 I'll give him that much.
Xherdan 23
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,537

Post#25 » by Xherdan 23 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 4:54 pm

andrewww wrote:Role model you say...

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2012/07/did-lebron-james-father-a-love-child-with-journalist-sharon-reed-her-lawyer-says-no/

You never fail to amaze.

So you're linking a bottom feeding tabloid full of "anonymous sources" and "rumors at the office" even though she denied the whole story and there's basically zero evidence to this crap and you think this is proof that LeBron is a bad man?

Let me educate you on something:
In journalism, if the title is "did so and so happen?" or "is John Doe something?" the answer is always no.
This is how you avoid a lawsuit by claiming you were just asking a question.

AKA Betteridge's law in journalism or Hinchliffe's rule in physics research papers.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut
Prince187
Sixth Man
And1: 1,788

Post#26 » by Prince187 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 5:00 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
Prince187 wrote:I don't know what you guys are talking about it. He's a terrible role model. I can't believe how low our standards have sunk. Not committing crimes or donating some money to charity when you make 85 million a year and can write it off as a tax deduction doesn't make a you good role model. It's setting a good example that people can follow. LeBron does a piss poor job at that.

You want your kids thinking that the Decision is something they should emulate? Or abandoning his teammates in Miami when the rode got too tough. Throwing his teammates under the bus regularly, constantly complaining and whining to the refs and making gestures on the court, coming off arrogant and self centered in interviews, the stories of him treating restaurant workers and low level of NBA workers with disrespect,not listening to coaches, hitting on women when he's married, taking games off and then going out to the club, not trying on defense,etc

How could anyone possibly think someone like that is a good role model for children to look up to and try to behave like.

Did I say anything factually inaccurate?
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#27 » by loserX » Fri Jun 9, 2017 5:03 pm

Amare_1_Knicks wrote:I've always felt he's been a tremendous role model. Whether or not you SHOULD look up to athletes/celebrities, the fact is that so many people do, and Lebron has been an unbelievable role model for children that have aspirations of becoming an athlete in any sport.

Quoting this, emphasis added. You don't get to choose whether you are a role model or not, that gets chosen for you. I fully agree that there are too many unrecognized people in our society: educators, doctors, parents, people who risk and sacrifice for others on a daily basis. But for or better or worse we have a culture of celebrity worship, and athletes fall into that category. So *under those circumstances*, is LeBron a good role model? I think he is.

Has LeBron made mistakes? Of course. But people who never make mistakes aren't "role models", they are "imaginary". The question is whether you learn from them and grow, and I think on many fronts LeBron has. And that does make him a good role model in my book.
Prince187
Sixth Man

Post#28 » by Prince187 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 5:05 pm

Xherdan 23 wrote:

You never fail to amaze.

So you're linking a bottom feeding tabloid full of "anonymous sources" and "rumors at the office" even though she denied the whole story and there's basically zero evidence to this crap and you think this is proof that LeBron is a bad man?

In journalism, if the title is "did so and so happen?" or "is John Doe something?" the answer is always no.

AKA Betteridge's law in journalism or Hinchliffe's rule in physics research papers.

Let me guess this is all fake news too?

Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#29 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 5:05 pm

Prince187 wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

Did I say anything factually inaccurate?

Oh god, it was serious.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,168

Post#30 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 5:07 pm

loserX wrote:
Amare_1_Knicks wrote:I've always felt he's been a tremendous role model. Whether or not you SHOULD look up to athletes/celebrities, the fact is that so many people do, and Lebron has been an unbelievable role model for children that have aspirations of becoming an athlete in any sport.

Quoting this, emphasis added. You don't get to choose whether you are a role model or not, that gets chosen for you. I fully agree that there are too many unrecognized people in our society: educators, doctors, parents, people who risk and sacrifice for others on a daily basis. But for or better or worse we have a culture of celebrity worship, and athletes fall into that category. So *under those circumstances*, is LeBron a good role model? I think he is.

Has LeBron made mistakes? Of course. But people who never make mistakes aren't "role models", they are "imaginary". The question is whether you learn from them and grow, and I think on many fronts LeBron has. And that does make him a good role model in my book.

agreed. It actually humanizes Lebron because of those mistakes and people can relate to him (for those that do)
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Post#31 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 5:09 pm

Prince187 wrote:
Xherdan 23 wrote:

You never fail to amaze.

more than half is not news or is taken out of context. this is not even journalism.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Kirito
Senior
And1: 223

Post#32 » by Kirito » Fri Jun 9, 2017 5:10 pm

No he has to much baggage when he was younger.
disrespecting coach's thats not somethign you want to teach your kids. He has disrespected how many already everyone but Lou that he picked but even now he is taking subtle shots at him. When your the best player in the world you can do that when your me and you that gets us fired.

The dancing on the side lines when someone brings up being a good sport blah blah blah some will can always post those pictures.

All his activism again you try pulling that stuff in your work space that will get you fired also.

You want to see a good role model in sports see Tim D
king_james_vers
Junior
And1: 743

Post#33 » by king_james_vers » Fri Jun 9, 2017 5:11 pm

capwolf wrote:Leader, married high school sweetheart and mother of his children, selfless teammate,donates liberally to underprivileged,represented country in Olmpics,universally liked around the league,never been in trouble off the court,made high school best friends the lynchpins of his businesses,supremely dedicated to his hometown, returned to Cleveland even though Owner publicly disrespected him,because he wanted to help the city.best player of his generation,multiple time NBA Champion and Allstar.

If that's not a role model, then there are none.

I think by and large LeBron is a great role model.

I find it refreshing, because a lot of my favorite athletes are not very likable off the playing field. Michael Jordan for example has almost an unlimited number of stories floating around about how arrogant and disrespectful he is (e.g. Chamillionarie's story on YouTube). Jerry Rice as well is one of my favorite athletes ever, but I find him supremely unlikable off the field.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Post#34 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 5:15 pm

Lebron would't be the first guy i pick as a "ultimate role model' but he's still better than average.

People who hate on him, like Prince187, is kinda pathetic. lol he probably has these screen shots ready/ links ready for conversations like this LOL. if that isn't a hater, i don't know what is.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#35 » by King of Canada » Fri Jun 9, 2017 5:17 pm

You guys remember this from two years ago? Seems relevant to this discussion.

http://www.teach4real.com/2015/05/14/dear-steph-curry-now-that-you-are-mvp-please-dont-come-visit-my-high-school/
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
Prince187
Sixth Man

Post#36 » by Prince187 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 5:19 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Prince187 wrote:
Xherdan 23 wrote:
You never fail to amaze.

more than half is not news or is taken out of context. this is not even journalism.

It's neither news nor journalism but those things still happened
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#37 » by Hoopz Afrik » Fri Jun 9, 2017 5:27 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: You're right. Guys Kobe and MJ are much better examples for our kids.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
CeltsfaninDC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,335

Post#38 » by CeltsfaninDC » Fri Jun 9, 2017 5:39 pm

A guy who worked his way into arguably the top performer in his field, never in trouble, appears to have done well financially (not necessarily an easy task for guys in his position), works hard, has improved his game (not like Larry Legends, but lets not pick nits) and is a leader that teammates look up to....... yeah, he's absolutely a good role model
InsanityKills
Sophomore
And1: 240

Post#39 » by InsanityKills » Fri Jun 9, 2017 5:43 pm

Meanwhile Kobe stans say Kobe is a great role model, even after that night in Colorado.
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#40 » by Hoopz Afrik » Fri Jun 9, 2017 5:45 pm

A good role model doesn't mean you're the perfect role model. The guy definitely has his fair share of flaws...I'd still say he's a pretty decent guy for kids to look up to as far as athletes are concerned.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Return to The General Board