Do you consider LeBron James a good role model?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Is LeBron a good role model for kids to look up to

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 266

Starboy
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Re: Do you consider LeBron James a good role model? 

Post#41 » by Starboy » Fri Jun 9, 2017 5:49 pm

King of Canada wrote:You guys remember this from two years ago? Seems relevant to this discussion.

http://www.teach4real.com/2015/05/14/dear-steph-curry-now-that-you-are-mvp-please-dont-come-visit-my-high-school/

I didn't know you had to be poor to have a role model AND that you had to have been poor to be a role model :roll:

Steph is an amazing role model. One of the few athletes who is completely devoted to his family, never had any sketchy incidents, is amazing with fans, respectful to opponents etc. How he got to be the person that he is currently is none of that teacher's concern. If you want a speaker who "made it" after growing up in a rough neighborhood, say that and move on. This is a bull article and its kind of sad that this is the person who's supposed to teach and inspire all these poor kids day to day.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#42 » by Dupp » Fri Jun 9, 2017 5:52 pm

He's got his flaws on the court sometimes but overall he's a great role model as far as athletes go.

Smart and well spoken man

Never gets in trouble, very professional on and off the court

Family man

Really takes pride in trying to help his community
Prince187
Sixth Man
And1: 1,784

Post#43 » by Prince187 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 5:59 pm

LeBron_da_Don wrote:
Prince187 wrote:I don't know what you guys are talking about it. He's a terrible role model. I can't believe how low our standards have sunk. Not committing crimes or donating some money to charity when you make 85 million a year and can write it off as a tax deduction doesn't make a you good role model. It's setting a good example that people can follow. LeBron does a piss poor job at that.

You want your kids thinking that the Decision is something they should emulate? Or abandoning his teammates in Miami when the rode got too tough. Throwing his teammates under the bus regularly, constantly complaining and whining to the refs and making gestures on the court, coming off arrogant and self centered in interviews, the stories of him treating restaurant workers and low level of NBA workers with disrespect,not listening to coaches, hitting on women when he's married, taking games off and then going out to the club, not trying on defense,etc

How could anyone possibly think someone like that is a good role model for children to look up to and try to behave like.

:lol: :lol: :lol: You're right. Guys Kobe and MJ are much better examples for our kids.

They're not good role models either but still better than LeBron on the court
Kirito
Senior
And1: 223

Post#44 » by Kirito » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:02 pm

Dupp wrote:He's got his flaws on the court sometimes but overall he's a great role model as far as athletes go.

Family man

Yes he really is very professional with all his dancing and belittling off all his coach's
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#45 » by Dupp » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:09 pm

Kirito wrote:
Dupp wrote:He's got his flaws on the court sometimes but overall he's a great role model as far as athletes go.

Family man

Yes he really is very professional with all his dancing and belittling off all his coach's

He's never belittled a coach you just made that up.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#46 » by King of Canada » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:11 pm

Starboy wrote:
King of Canada wrote:You guys remember this from two years ago? Seems relevant to this discussion.

http://www.teach4real.com/2015/05/14/dear-steph-curry-now-that-you-are-mvp-please-dont-come-visit-my-high-school/

I didn't know you had to be poor to have a role model AND that you had to have been poor to be a role model :roll:

Steph is an amazing role model. One of the few athletes who is completely devoted to his family, never had any sketchy incidents, is amazing with fans, respectful to opponents etc. How he got to be the person that he is currently is none of that teacher's concern. If you want a speaker who "made it" after growing up in a rough neighborhood, say that and move on. This is a bull article and its kind of sad that this is the person who's supposed to teach and inspire all these poor kids day to day.

I don't think that was his point at all :-?
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
Kirito
Senior

Post#47 » by Kirito » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:11 pm

Dupp wrote:
Kirito wrote:

Family man

You really want us to bring up the pics of him walk through his coach's then hitting them with his shoulder? Unless your blind you know they are there
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#48 » by The_Hater » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:12 pm

Prince187 wrote:I don't know what you guys are talking about it. He's a terrible role model. I can't believe how low our standards have sunk. Not committing crimes or donating some money to charity when you make 85 million a year and can write it off as a tax deduction doesn't make a you good role model. It's setting a good example that people can follow. LeBron does a piss poor job at that.

You want your kids thinking that the Decision is something they should emulate? Or abandoning his teammates in Miami when the rode got too tough. Throwing his teammates under the bus regularly, constantly complaining and whining to the refs and making gestures on the court, coming off arrogant and self centered in interviews, the stories of him treating restaurant workers and low level of NBA workers with disrespect,not listening to coaches, hitting on women when he's married, taking games off and then going out to the club, not trying on defense,etc

How could anyone possibly think someone like that is a good role model for children to look up to and try to behave like.

Other than a few exaggerated and made up perceptions you have of Bron, most of which have nothing to do with being a role model, you didn't really list a single concrete reason and were quick to dismiss those listed by others.

But it is very clear that you have some sort of built up hatred for Lebron. That's your problem I guess.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
The_Hater

Post#49 » by The_Hater » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:15 pm

OdomFan wrote:People like him and James Harden are the last players I'd look up to If I were a kid watching the NBA today.

Unless you have something more specific, you seem to be confusing a players playing style with that of being a role model.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
The_Hater

Post#50 » by The_Hater » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:17 pm

Prince187 wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

This is an excellent parody of LeBron haters. Well done.

Did I say anything factually inaccurate?

Is this a joke? Almost your entire post was opinion based.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,606

Post#51 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:18 pm

Hes never been in trouble off the court, married his high school girlfriend and doesnt have a bunch of baby mamas. He seems to be very involved with the community and giving back. I mean there are plenty of athletes that fit that bill but for an athlete I dont get how anyone could say he is a bad role model.

With all that said, an athlete or anyone in entertainment would be on the very bottom of my list on who I would want my kid to look up to as a role model. The fact of the matter is we dont know absolutely anything about these guys off the court. Tiger Woods for over a decade was looked at as a guy that was a perfect role model with a Stanford education, great family, active in his community. Then guess what we find out that he has like 20+ side chicks and constantly cheating on his wife and that hes not the greatest guy. I dont think anyone thought Michael Vick was the greatest role model, but I doubt anyone knew he was doing something as bad as his dog fighting ring he had at his house. OJ at one time was one of the most popular athletes as well.

The fact is we just dont know anything about these guys and we see what they want us to see. A lot of these guys have an entire PR team to spin absolutely everything so we as the public only see what they want us to see. So ya nothing has come out about Lebron where one would think he was a bad role model, same goes for many basketball players and athletes. But who really knows what goes on behind the scenes and what may come out later on.
The_Hater

Post#52 » by The_Hater » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:19 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Hes never been in trouble off the court, married his high school girlfriend and doesnt have a bunch of baby mamas. He seems to be very involved with the community and giving back. I mean there are plenty of athletes that fit that bill but for an athlete I dont get how anyone could say he is a bad role model.

With all that said, an athlete or anyone in entertainment would be on the very bottom of my list on who I would want my kid to look up to as a role model. The fact of the matter is we dont know absolutely anything about these guys off the court. Tiger Woods for over a decade was looked at as a guy that was a perfect role model with a Stanford education, great family, active in his community. Then guess what we find out that he has like 20+ side chicks and constantly cheating on his wife and that hes not the greatest guy. I dont think anyone thought Michael Vick was the greatest role model, but I doubt anyone knew he was doing something as bad as his dog fighting ring he had at his house. OJ at one time was one of the most popular athletes as well.

The fact is we just dont know anything about these guys and we see what they want us to see. A lot of these guys have an entire PR team to spin absolutely everything so we as the public only see what they want us to see. So ya nothing has come out about Lebron where one would think he was a bad role model, same goes for many basketball players and athletes. But who really knows what goes on behind the scenes and what may come out later on.

Apparently, you can't be a role model if you're not a perfect human being. Or if I hate you as a basketball player.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
Kirito
Senior

Post#53 » by Kirito » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:21 pm

Dupp wrote:
Kirito wrote:

Family man

Additionally, LeBron began to take play-calling into his own hands. He admitted last year that he was above asking coaches to change roles on the floor, and he often would verbally disagree with Blatt's play-calling. As Wojnarowski writes, "As the games wore on, opposing players on the floor weren't only watching James constantly wave off plays from the coach – but role players feeling emboldened to disregard the head coach's instructions, too."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/damning-reports-reveal-little-respect-190519395.html

totally did not belittle his coach right?
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,744

Post#54 » by metafisical » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:21 pm

He isn't my role model and never will be, but if other people choose LBJ, Abraham Lincoln or Jack the Ripper as a role model, who am I to judge?

Anyway, I am surprised this video hasn't been brought up yet:
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,634

Post#55 » by OdomFan » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:31 pm

The_Hater wrote:
OdomFan wrote:People like him and James Harden are the last players I'd look up to If I were a kid watching the NBA today.

Unless you have something more specific, you seem to be confusing a players playing style with that of being a role model.

Has nothing to do with his playing style he's a great player but I just don't like dudes personality. The things he's said in interviews, responses to criticism, etc. Yes even as a kid I wouldn't have cared for him because of these things.
ckman
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,198

Post#56 » by ckman » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:34 pm

InsanityKills wrote:Yes, he's THE greatest role model in the sports world tbh. He's sending kids to college out of his own pocket, he consistently donates to charities, and has never had any off the court issues.

Lol the greatest ? He's not even the best role model in NBA.
Just because he's better than others players in basketball doesn't mean he's a better person than them.While there are plenty nutcase , there're also many great person in NBA.
Jeremy Lin, Tim Duncan, Dirk etc. all of them had set up foundation to help people. And they are more humble too.
Russell Wilson, Eli Manning, Serena Williams, Neymar .... all are well known for charitable.
Stop make it sounds like Lebron is the only one in the world who donates to charities.

Ps: not saying Lebron is not a good role model , but the greatest? Come on ........
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#57 » by HurricaneKid » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:47 pm

ckman wrote:
InsanityKills wrote:Yes, he's THE greatest role model in the sports world tbh. He's sending kids to college out of his own pocket, he consistently donates to charities, and has never had any off the court issues.

Just because he's better than others players in basketball doesn't mean he's a better person than them.While there are plenty nutcase , there're also many great person in NBA.
Jeremy Lin, Tim Duncan, Dirk etc. all of them had set up foundation to help people. And they are more humble too.
Russell Wilson, Eli Manning, Serena Williams, Neymar .... all are well known for charitable.
Stop make it sounds like Lebron is the only one in the world who donates to charities.

Ps: not saying Lebron is not a good role model , but the greatest? Come on ........

http://www.trueactivist.com/lebron-james-donates-41-million-to-send-1100-kids-to-college-becomes-6th-most-charitable-athlete-in-world/

The Decision gave >$5M to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America.

That's just two of the hundreds of charitable programs that he has been involved with over the year totaling almost 50M in benefits to young people in need of help with college tuition and early childhood support. Please feel free to compare with other athletes who provide that level of charitable giving. Just because someone takes a picture handing out a few toys and Christmas doesn't mean they are helping the world.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
Threethrows
Pro Prospect
And1: 932

Post#58 » by Threethrows » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:48 pm

Some of you seem to take the 'role' in role model too literal. You don't have to have any interest in playing in the NBA to see LeBron as a role model.

Nor are good role models people who never make mistakes. How a person handles them and grows from their mistakes matters.

Also, being rich doesn't mean your charitable contributions mean less. This idea that someone donating to make themselves feel better or for a tax write off is a bad thing is absurd. The charity still happens. Makes me shake my head when I see people attacking someone for doing something charitable just because the motivation for it wasn't what the armchair critic wanted. Meanwhile they've probably given nothing.

To my point, LeBron to me is a pretty good role model. There are better ones but thats fine.
The_Hater

Post#59 » by The_Hater » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:50 pm

OdomFan wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Has nothing to do with his playing style he's a great player but I just don't like dudes personality. The things he's said in interviews, responses to criticism, etc. Yes even as a kid I wouldn't have cared for him because of these things.

Ok. And what about Harden? What's his non-role model problem?
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
Kirito
Senior

Post#60 » by Kirito » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:50 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
ckman wrote:

http://www.trueactivist.com/lebron-james-donates-41-million-to-send-1100-kids-to-college-becomes-6th-most-charitable-athlete-in-world/

The Decision gave >$5M to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America.

That's just two of the hundreds of charitable programs that he has been involved with over the year totaling almost 50M in benefits to young people in need of help with college tuition and early childhood support. Please feel free to compare with other athletes who provide that level of charitable giving. Just because someone takes a picture handing out a few toys and Christmas doesn't mean they are helping the world.

Are you really going to use "The Decision" as proof of being a good role mode. That is the worst thing I would want my kinds to think about what they should aspire to a person who is all about themselves. There is a reason he got such a huge backlash for it if it didn't get that backlash he would of had "The Decision v2"

Return to The General Board