Do you think the 2005 Suns would do better or worse with Steph Curry at PG?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Better or worse?

Better
71%
Worse
29%

Total votes: 87

OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,619

Re: Do you think the 2005 Suns would do better or worse with Steph Curry at PG? 

Post#21 » by OdomFan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:36 pm

Worse. Suns would have been better had kept Joe and got someone to help on defense.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,509

Post#22 » by sikma42 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:14 pm

It would be worst. Steph can't run the pick and roll for that long against top defenses and be efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,509

Post#23 » by sikma42 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:18 pm

GrandTheftRondo wrote:Nash was a better passer, but I think some here are really underestimating Curry's passing ability. He isn't just a Westbrook type passer. He's very good at passing with either hand, drawing the defence like Nash did, throwing flashy passes etc.

Nash didn't turn the ball over as much as Curry did in 2004-05 but his usage rate wasn't as high as Curry's.

Curry is still a very good passer, and right as he has matured as a player and more specifically a passer Kerr came and implemented an offence that leads to a lot more hockey assists from Steph rather than actual assists.

Steph's scoring is also far better than Nash's and defensively he's better than Nash.

Steph makes that team better.

Westbrook has really improved as a passer. I'd say he is better at Curry at running a pick and roll and the fast break. Currys passing, for a point guard, is not particularly strong.

2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#24 » by 2Mas » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:21 pm

LakersLegacy wrote:Nash is one of my all time favs but I can't even imagine what DAntonie would do for Curry

We know what he did for
Nash
Lin
Harden

Take it way down further.

Look how he made Kendall Marshall look for a year or so.

No doubt any pg would love to play for MDA.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,135

Post#25 » by Edrees » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:00 pm

Even though Curry is a better player they do worse, that offense was constructed around Nash's playmaking ability
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#26 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:07 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Steph and Booker would be cool. They would be better because Steph instantly creates space on the floor for everyone he plays with. It's not a mere coincidence.

I misread the title my bad.

Not sure if he makes them better because Nash was incredible. But Steph is a better scorer than Nash, and there were times that Nash needed to score more. Steph can play make when he wants to, that's not a problem, just that Nash was sooo ball dominant.

That Wasatch fun team, and I think they would have won the title that season if there wasn't the suspension.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Fico92
Sixth Man
And1: 2,361

Post#27 » by Fico92 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:11 pm

Lettuce brew real stew here...Nash was the PERFECT fit for that team. Kinda like Curry is the PERFECT fit for the Warriors. If you swap the prime version for each team, both teams get worse.
BScoreez
Senior
And1: 151

Post#28 » by BScoreez » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:16 pm

sikma42 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:Nash was a better passer, but I think some here are really underestimating Curry's passing ability. He isn't just a Westbrook type passer. He's very good at passing with either hand, drawing the defence like Nash did, throwing flashy passes etc.

Nash didn't turn the ball over as much as Curry did in 2004-05 but his usage rate wasn't as high as Curry's.

Curry is still a very good passer, and right as he has matured as a player and more specifically a passer Kerr came and implemented an offence that leads to a lot more hockey assists from Steph rather than actual assists.

Steph's scoring is also far better than Nash's and defensively he's better than Nash.

Steph makes that team better.

Westbrook has really improved as a passer. I'd say he is better at Curry at running a pick and roll and the fast break. Currys passing, for a point guard, is not particularly strong.

I am just curious why you don't think Curry's passing ability is strong. He may not be as good of a passer as Nash, but he has always seemed like one of the best passers in the NBA. I know his role and the teams offensive scheme has reduced the amount of assists he is able to get by quite a bit, but his passing and vision is still really strong. If he was in an offense that relied on less ball movement and was asked to do less shooting his assists would go way up since the ball would be in his hands a lot more. He would probably easily average 10+ assists every year in a D'Antoni offense. He averaged 8.5 assists in Mark Jackson's offense which was where near as high octane as D'Anotni's, but did have the ball in Curry's hands a lot more than Kerr's offense. Some players that get a lot of assists aren't great passers, but are instead great penetrators who get the assist from penetration and kick. Curry is more of the type that uses craftiness and vision.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#29 » by LakersLegacy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:40 pm

2Mas wrote:
LakersLegacy wrote:Nash is one of my all time favs but I can't even imagine what DAntonie would do for Curry

We know what he did for
Nash
Lin
Harden

Take it way down further.

Look how he made Kendall Marshall look for a year or so.

No doubt any pg would love to play for MDA.

Curry has a crazy fast release and has the tools to go bonkers for MDA. Savant
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,310

Post#30 » by DirtyDez » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:55 pm

Can he guard Duncan?
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
DROB27
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,119

Post#31 » by DROB27 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:02 pm

Worst, Nash's Ability to run a offense is much better .. the suns offense was fine it was their defense that costed them
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,954

Post#32 » by Optms » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:16 pm

Lakerfan17 wrote:The gap between their shooting/scoring is a hell of a lot smaller than their passing.

The gap between their shot attempts is massive though. Making Curry by far and away the most impressive shooter/scorer. If Nash even attempted to duplicate the usage of shots Curry takes, he would never even approach 50/40/90 the way Curry does.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,954

Post#33 » by Optms » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:21 pm

DirtyDez wrote:Can he guard Duncan?

Do Stoudemire and Diaw get suspended for game 5?
udfa
Starter
And1: 2,821

Post#34 » by udfa » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:44 am

I'm guessing those who voted Worse tend to underrate Curry generally.

Curry is a better player and it's not close. That's not meant to disrespect Nash, who was one of the most skilled offensive players ever, but Curry is a cut above Nash as an athlete and it has a big impact on the court especially on the defensive end (Curry is net +2.2 career DBPM over Nash) . Too much is being made of the gap between the two as passers. Curry would average close to 10 APG if he played for D'Antoni (Nash went from 7.2 APG in his 6 years as Mavs starting PG under Nellie to 11.2 APG in his 4 years with D'Antoni). Not enough is being made of Curry's scoring superiority. He would put up something like 30-10-5 on 60%+ TS. Put Curry on those Suns teams and they would have made multiple Finals between '05-'08 and won at least 1 title, maybe more.

There's an odd bias against Curry. He's not getting enough recognition as the all time great that he already is. He's the 2nd best PG of all time behind only Magic, and when he's done he's going to be a Top-15 all time player (maybe even higher).

Return to The General Board