Paul George tells the Pacers he's leaving next season, wants to go to L.A.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,430

Re: What do the Cavs give up for PG13? 

Post#721 » by mtcan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:24 am

RCM88x wrote:
mtcan wrote:
RCM88x wrote:
That is better than nothing, wouldn't you agree?

If someone offers you something for an asset that you will 100% lose after a certain period of time, you take that offer 100% of the time. Otherwise, you get nothing and look like a fool.

Any team that offers a first round pick is instantly a better package than Frye/Shump/JR. So I can't see this happening without Love being involved.

Do you think any team offers a 1st round pick to have PG for only 1 season?

I completely agree that it would be, and that probably every one of the 28 other teams could offer more than Cleveland. But I don't know if anyone else will even return Indiana's calls.

Someone is offering a first round pick. Even a late first round pick with protections has more value to the Pacers than Frye/Shump/JR.

Not only that...now that PG has basically telegraphed a move to LA...Indiana has to get just SOME value for George...50 cents on the dollar. Every team will be dealing from a place where they don't want to give up too much for a rental...but a first round pick to some teams is nothing.
Desiderium
Veteran
And1: 644

Re: Paul George tells the Pacers he's leaving next season, wants to go to L.A. 

Post#722 » by Desiderium » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:24 am

tms386 wrote:But Pacers fans told me all this Lakers talk was just the media stirring the pot and wasn't how Paul really felt!

I'd believe it if it weren't for WoJ who made the tweet. He doesn't mess around with sources.
Hardcore6erFan
Sixth Man
And1: 680

Post#723 » by Hardcore6erFan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:26 am

The Cavs would absolutely have to give up Love which I don't think they would do. Cavs 2021 1st unprotected, Cavs 2023 1st unprotected, rights to Cedi Osman is not enough. LeGoat could still be a top 10 player in 2023.
Tehtre
Sophomore
And1: 130

Post#724 » by Tehtre » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:26 am

RCM88x wrote:
mtcan wrote:
RCM88x wrote:
That is better than nothing, wouldn't you agree?

If someone offers you something for an asset that you will 100% lose after a certain period of time, you take that offer 100% of the time. Otherwise, you get nothing and look like a fool.

Any team that offers a first round pick is instantly a better package than Frye/Shump/JR. So I can't see this happening without Love being involved.

I completely agree that it would be, and that probably every one of the 28 other teams could offer more than Cleveland. But I don't know if anyone else will even return Indiana's calls.

Lakers JC+zubac+28+deng for PG13
Ckay
Head Coach
And1: 8,317

Post#725 » by Ckay » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:29 am

Tehtre wrote:
RCM88x wrote:
mtcan wrote:Any team that offers a first round pick is instantly a better package than Frye/Shump/JR. So I can't see this happening without Love being involved.

Pacers already have Turner.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,430

Post#726 » by mtcan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:29 am

Tehtre wrote:
RCM88x wrote:
mtcan wrote:Any team that offers a first round pick is instantly a better package than Frye/Shump/JR. So I can't see this happening without Love being involved.

I'll bet you Magic has already been on the phone offering 28 and Deng...and hung up when the Pacers wanted more.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,968

Post#727 » by RCM88x » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:29 am

Tehtre wrote:
RCM88x wrote:

If you're the Laker's GM and make that move you get fired before you can hang up the phone.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,355

Post#728 » by baldur » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:31 am

Hardcore6erFan wrote:The Cavs would absolutely have to give up Love which I don't think they would do. Cavs 2021 1st unprotected, Cavs 2023 1st unprotected, rights to Cedi Osman is not enough. LeGoat could still be a top 10 player in 2023.

Who was the latest player who was a top 10 player at the age of 39? Or how many of them were there in history?
Tehtre
Sophomore

Post#729 » by Tehtre » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:31 am

RCM88x wrote:
Tehtre wrote:
RCM88x wrote:

If you're the Laker's GM and make that move you get fired before you can hang up the phone.

This ensures we get PG13+ enough cap space to get another max in 2018 if we stretch mozgov/giveup QO randle
Tehtre
Sophomore

Post#730 » by Tehtre » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:31 am

baldur wrote:
Hardcore6erFan wrote:The Cavs would absolutely have to give up Love which I don't think they would do. Cavs 2021 1st unprotected, Cavs 2023 1st unprotected, rights to Cedi Osman is not enough. LeGoat could still be a top 10 player in 2023.

Who was the latest player who was a top 10 player at the age of 39? Or how many of them were there in history?

if there are any, it'll be Lebron
zshawn10
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,354

Post#731 » by zshawn10 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:31 am

Read on Twitter
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,968

Post#732 » by RCM88x » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:33 am

Tehtre wrote:
RCM88x wrote:
Tehtre wrote:

This ensures we get PG13+ enough cap space to get another max in 2018 if we stretch mozgov/giveup QO randle

Don't you think you can unload the Moz and Deng contracts elsewhere, and keep JC and Zubac?

In theory that would be a very good deal if PG didn't say he was going to the Lakers in 2018 already, but with that being the case I don't see why LA would offer anything other than Deng and Moz... and those are much worse than Frye/Shumpert + Cedi and picks, which I assume is what the Cavs are offering.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,761

Post#733 » by JJ_PR » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:36 am

"What do the Cavs give up for PG13?"

Kevin Love. It's that simple. You try to offer Indiana a package of Channing Frye, Iman Shumpert, J.R.Smith and two future firsts, they hang up the phone laughing and never answer another call.

Plus, with Paul George on the fold, Kevin Love is redundant on the cavs lineup.

Another poster mentioned a three team trade idea between Cleveland, Boston and Indiana. Kevin Love to the Celtics, Paul George to Cleveland, 3rd pick to Indiana. Who says no?
C3H6N6O6
Analyst
And1: 3,898

Post#734 » by C3H6N6O6 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:36 am

og15 wrote:How does stuff like this get out? How can teams not keep this stuff quiet at least for a little time so that they can quickly make a trade?

Prefers Lakers, but would he stay with the Clippers if they traded for him? Clippers don't have good assets, but if this is certain, the Clippers need to start trying to figure out how to make that work.

this stuff gets leaked from player's side. Either his agent or his friend leaks it to benefit the player as Paul George would not like the team he is going to lose too many assets to trade for him.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,355

Post#735 » by baldur » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:37 am

Tehtre wrote:
baldur wrote:

if there are any, it'll be Lebron

We all agree he is a super human, he maybe spent his best playoffs in his career but he plays 100 hundred games roughly a year, with over 40 mpgs at some occasions. Yeah he is coasting at times but still it's very little likely he will be a top 10 player in 2023.
Tehtre
Sophomore

Post#736 » by Tehtre » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:39 am

JJ_PR wrote:"What do the Cavs give up for PG13?"

Kevin Love. It's that simple. You try to offer Indiana a package of Channing Frye, Iman Shumpert, J.R.Smith and two future firsts, they hang up the phone laughing and never answer another call.

Another poster mentioned a three team trade idea between Cleveland, Boston and Indiana. Kevin Love to the Celtics, Paul George to Cleveland, 3rd pick to Indiana. Who says no?

Celtics says no, theyve been saying they dont want marginal talent. Why Love if third pick can get them PG13/Jimmy Butler.
wfiles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,285

Post#737 » by wfiles » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:40 am

JJ_PR wrote:"What do the Cavs give up for PG13?"

Celtics give up the 3rd pick means they want to compete and beat Cleveland. That deal will never happen.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#738 » by The Rebel » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:42 am

OsuCavsfan103 wrote:
mhd wrote:Denver and Portland are clearly destinations as rentals:

Denver can trade: 13+Mudiay+Chandler (who can be flipped)
Portland can trade any combo of contracts+their picks.

I can see Denver doing a trade even for a rental considering how well they have drafted. Losing Chandler, Mudiay, and the 13th for a rental isn't the worst thing in the world. Plus, what if Paul signs there?

PG: CP3/Murray/Nelson
SG: Harris/Murray
SF: PG13/Barton
PF: Gallo/Faried/Hernangomez
C: Jokic/Plumlee

Why would teams that have pretty much 0 chance of making it in the Finals out of the west consider renting him though?

Only one other team out West would be able to add PG as a rental and have a good chance against GS this year, and that is Spurs.

Cavs and Spurs are only two teams close enough for it to make sense for a rental.

Unless PG talks willingness to sign long term with teams, there is no reason for Portland or Denver to give up assets to still be walked all over by GS

Why do you think guys like Paul and last year Wade as in demand as they are have even considered Denver? Fans outside of Denver have only seen very limited amounts of Jokic, but the NBA players are figuring out that Jokic is a superstar in the making. Mike Miller who is very well liked & respected around the league has not quit gushing about Jokic for over a year and a half and he started talking about Murray that way by the end of the season. A year ago he was saying Jokic would be like a cross between Pau and Marc Gasol, he is not saying that this year, all he will say is better than them. He also is the kid brother of a couple of very good college athletes, one of which is a close friend of Darko and watched him throw away his talent, that brother watches each game 5 times with Jokic to study the game, he is reportedly and comes off as very humble. This is the kind of guy these guys want to team up with. Even if the best they can put together is George and Jokic, they can easily have max cap space next year.

It is openly talked about on Altitude radio in Denver (owned by the Kroenke's) that Millsap wanted to come home since the trade deadline, so personally I would rather the Nuggets trade for George, sign Millsap, and that will likely leave enough room for a guy like Hill or at worst Patty Mills. That is a very good and effective front court, Murray is able to run the 2nd team and take advantage of the time for him to control the ball, and Harris is the perfect SG to pair with 2 guys in the front court that like to have the ball in their hands.

Hill/ Murray/ Nelson
Harris/ Murray/ Beasley
George/ Hernangomez
Millsap/ Faried/ Arthur
Jokic/ Plumlee

It would depend heavily on being right on the young guys, and the Nuggets front office and many of us fans think they have the right ones. Now it is time to build around them and all star quality guys could mean very long term success for the Nuggets. It makes a ton of sense for guys like George who can be the long term leading scorer on a great team, Millsap who will have a young guy in Hernangomez that will likely grow into the role as he declines, and Hill who will slow down and decline as Murray learns how to properly run an offense and gets more time. Probably not next year, but within 2 years that can team develop into a true contender. We are a 2 hour flight from LA and out there 3 or 4 times a year, why walk away from that to go to a Lakers team that you are hoping can attract another franchise type talent.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,263

Post#739 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:43 am

tms386 wrote:But Pacers fans told me all this Lakers talk was just the media stirring the pot and wasn't how Paul really felt!

I still don't think he's going to LA. I think he'll hit FA, give LA a meeting, then realize there are other teams in a much better situation for him.

Either that or the Pacers trade him to a team with a better situation than the Lakers and he finds himself happy there.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#740 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:44 am

Pacers should've unloaded pg year or 2 ago to begin the rebuilding process.

Now they'll be lucky to get nickels on the dollar for him. Why would indy want love? I guess just to trade him and acquire young talent/more picks?

Return to The General Board