What is Ainge and Magic smoking?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Re: What is Ainge smoking? 

Post#101 » by 12footrim » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:52 pm

ChiCityHoops34 wrote:Boston picks after already being a one seed this year.

2017 PHI 1st
2018 BOS 1st
2018 LAL 1st
2018 BKN 1st
2019 BOS 1st
2019 LAC 1st
2019 SAC 1st
2019 MEM 1st

I would kill to be in the Celtics position right now

What has he turned picks like this into.... Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown neither of which I doubt is anything more than a role player. Fultz was about as can't miss an All Star caliber player as you could get. That's what they needed.

Let's be real here, the Warriors will probably win the next 4 or 5 titles and who really wants to pay IT his next contract for 5 years from next year. They probably would be better just to get that star player that will enter his prime in 6 years and so they don't mind letting IT walk. It could have played out very well and in the mean time they probably still would go to the eastern conference finals. So you lose there instead of the Warriors.

Now they will draft what looks like another Jaylen Brown or Marcus Smart dud like Josh Jackson or Tatum and just have so many of these rookie contracts they have to drop them for nothing or draft stashes. What they need is a likely all star and to consolidate these picks.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
BorkLazer
Senior
And1: 427

Post#102 » by BorkLazer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:52 pm

Let me just remind everyone who trusts Ainge in his draft evaluations that this is a guy who took JR Giddens, Randy Foye, Gerald Green, Fab Melo, James Young, and RJ Hunter in the first round.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,447

Post#103 » by Snotbubbles » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:09 pm

12footrim wrote:

2017 PHI 1st
2018 BOS 1st
2018 LAL 1st
2018 BKN 1st
2019 BOS 1st
2019 LAC 1st
2019 SAC 1st
2019 MEM 1st

What has he turned picks like this into.... Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown neither of which I doubt is anything more than a role player. Fultz was about as can't miss an All Star caliber player as you could get. That's what they needed.

Let's be real here, the Warriors will probably win the next 4 or 5 titles and who really wants to pay IT his next contract for 5 years from next year. They probably would be better just to get that star player that will enter his prime in 6 years and so they don't mind letting IT walk. It could have played out very well and in the mean time they probably still would go to the eastern conference finals. So you lose there instead of the Warriors.

Now they will draft what looks like another Jaylen Brown or Marcus Smart dud like Josh Jackson or Tatum and just have so many of these rookie contracts they have to drop them for nothing or draft stashes. What they need is a likely all star and to consolidate these picks.

Herein lies the problem. You view Fultz as "about as can't miss All Star caliber player as you could get" and Tatum/Jackson as "role players" and "dud[s]", apparently Ainge doesn't. Only time will tell which perspective is correct.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,366

Post#104 » by robbie84 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:10 pm

Froob wrote:
whysoserious wrote:
Froob wrote:I hope he's right...allegedly he was taking KD over Oden back in the day. You only make this trade if you think the guy at 3 is as good or better than Fultz. Legacy defining trade. Nobody will care what he did with the big 3 if he ****s this up.

I don't tend to believe a lot of things when it comes to Ainge and his like for certain players in past drafts. You're closer to the Celtics situation so there may have been talk about KD over Oden at that particular draft. It just seems, similar to Colangelo, he talks and leaks a bunch of stuff years after drafts about his desire to pick the known superstar over the bust.

Yeah I dunno if I believe everything he says lol. Claimed he had Draymond a lot higher on his board. He was very obsessed with KD pre draft but I dunno if he actually takes him first.

Interesting side note: it was Ainge that convinced colangelo to draft Amare Stoudemire for the Suns.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,630

Post#105 » by Pointgod » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:16 pm

He just handed Philly the final piece to contender status. Good job dumb dumb
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#106 » by John Murdoch » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:16 pm

BorkLazer wrote:Let me just remind everyone who trusts Ainge in his draft evaluations that this is a guy who took JR Giddens, Randy Foye, Gerald Green, Fab Melo, James Young, and RJ Hunter in the first round.

sully too with red flags everywhere
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
John Murdoch
General Manager

Post#107 » by John Murdoch » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:18 pm

fouronesix22 wrote:I think Lonzo is a better player than fultz. He just seems "the most nba ready" more of an all around guard. So imo he is a "generational talent" and ainge messed up by not taking him. However we dont know the up coming drafts so you cant really say anyone got fleeced. Lets revist this trade in 2019 or something

Even if thats true how can u draft a guy that refused to workout for ur club
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#108 » by Patsfan1081 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:19 pm

Wilfried wrote:

2017 PHI 1st
2018 BOS 1st - late 1st round
2018 LAL 1st - only possible 2-5
2018 BKN 1st
2019 BOS 1st - late 1st round
2019 LAC 1st - protected 1-14
2019 SAC 1st - if Lakers pick doesn't fall in 2018
2019 MEM 1st - protected 1-8 or 1-6 in 2020

It's either 2018 LA pick or 2019 SAC pick, not both.

Together with this year's 3rd pick, the BKN 2018 pick and the LA/SAC pick are very very nice assets (although a lot can happen in 1 summer).

All the rest are low 1st round picks or pretty decent protected picks. So really nothing game changing.

And the picks need to be shipped, because I don't see the possibility to AND try to be a real contender AND built for the future.

But if they decide to go fot the future, at this moment they are with:
Jaylen Brown
Tatum/Josh Jackson/Dennis Smith/...?
BKN 2018
LA/SAC pick

That's very pretty ... but to me not even enough to challenge the other teams with a lot of bright future, like Milwaukee, Denver, Philadelphia and maybe even Minnesota.

Well it depends, in a way I think Ainge kind of made a safety net for himself just in case he can sign/trade for star players. If he can't make the moves this summer than you just don't resign Thomas and either let Horford play out his last season or trade him. All of a sudden with those two off the roster Boston goes back into a rebuilding team with a couple top three picks already on the roster. Those predicted late Celtic picks turn into lottery picks. You also look at the Bucks and Nuggets, their teams with one great(Giannis) or very good(young player), they aren't loaded with young talent like KD/Russ/Harden. Teams just need to find that one franchise player to be on par with them, I don't think Ainge saw that in Fultz.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#109 » by Patsfan1081 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:25 pm

BorkLazer wrote:Let me just remind everyone who trusts Ainge in his draft evaluations that this is a guy who took JR Giddens, Randy Foye, Gerald Green, Fab Melo, James Young, and RJ Hunter in the first round.

This is silly, I think Ainge is an average drafted also yet your listing guys that were drafted at the end of the first round. For every Giddens or Hunter drafted 28/29th there are also a Bradley/Sullinger that he hit on in the twenties. There's a big difference between projecting lottery picks vs late first rounders. His decision to draft Brown over the popular pick Dunn at three seemed to have worked out pretty well in his favor last year.
13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Post#110 » by 13th Man » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:27 pm

I hate this move by Ainge. Unless you have a clear end-goal in mind (trading for Butler for example), don't try to be cute with your picks while giving a future rival a huge boost.
Stadium5
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,556

Post#111 » by Stadium5 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:28 pm

Hinkie > Ainge

Dude's ego has grown bigger than he is. His undying faith from Boston fans as worked against us...Forever job security and a huge ego. Always has to try being the smartest one in the room..that's how you overthink otherwise easy decisions. It's either take the consensus #1 in Fultz, or get a boat load back for him. NOT one additional protected pick Ainge TF?!
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,126

Post#112 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:29 pm

vxmike wrote:LAC could be bad in '18-19 if Paul or Griffin leave.

Our pick is protected 1-14 that year, so if we're bad, the Celtics don't get the pick.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,978

Post#113 » by Froob » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:30 pm

Next off season is when things could really go down...would top 5 picks get Davis with 2 years left if it becomes clear he won't stick around? Throw in Jaylen or Jackson/Tatum/Ball should get it done if need be.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,893

Post#114 » by RSP83 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:34 pm

He has a point.

The only pick that really pan out is Avery Bradley. Olynyk? Yuck.
Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,713

Post#115 » by Ctownbulls » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:37 pm

RingsDontLie wrote:Someone needs to say it. May go down as one of the worst moves in NBA history.

Why? If they don't want Fultz and value someone else more then why not move down to 3 and get other great assets (which the additional pick is)?

Talk to me when Fultz is a top 10 player in the league. Then we can call it a bad move. This isn't like trading LeBron James pre-draft.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#116 » by 12footrim » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Snotbubbles wrote:
12footrim wrote:

2017 PHI 1st
2018 BOS 1st
2018 LAL 1st
2018 BKN 1st
2019 BOS 1st
2019 LAC 1st
2019 SAC 1st
2019 MEM 1st

Herein lies the problem. You view Fultz as "about as can't miss All Star caliber player as you could get" and Tatum/Jackson as "role players" and "dud[s]", apparently Ainge doesn't. Only time will tell which perspective is correct.

I'm not the only one. Dunc'd on guys view a big difference in Fultz and really anyone else in this draft. I think most people scouting this draft see it really as a 2 player draft if not just a one. Ball is just a unique prospect that is harder to evaluate. The point is no one is clamoring about anything that's going to be left at 3.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Seabass11
Sixth Man
And1: 1,125

Post#117 » by Seabass11 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:40 pm

I think the worst GM would be BKN for making the move with BOS in the first place to put togetehr their "Big 3" of DWill JJ and Lopez. Boston is STILL getting picks for that??
John Murdoch
General Manager

Post#118 » by John Murdoch » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:54 pm

baldur wrote:fultz is neither shaq, nor lebron. Ainge ripped off the 76ers.

6ers get the best player in the draft + either LA pick next year or Kings pick in 2019 easy win for them
John Murdoch
General Manager

Post#119 » by John Murdoch » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:55 pm

Froob wrote:Next off season is when things could really go down...would top 5 picks get Davis with 2 years left if it becomes clear he won't stick around? Throw in Jaylen or Jackson/Tatum/Ball should get it done if need be.

Problem is u guys have been saying that for a couple seasons now
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,126

Post#120 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:56 pm

Shaq and LeBron were once-in-a-lifetime prospects. Chances are, the Celtics won't be getting a Shaq or a LeBron with any of their picks either.

Return to The General Board