What Are the Odds the Lakers Make the Playoffs?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,009

Re: What Are the Odds the Lakers Make the Playoffs? 

Post#241 » by Gus McCrae » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:06 pm

JGOJustin wrote:
Gus McCrae wrote:
JGOJustin wrote:
Yeah well...we legit don't know if ANY of what you said is true.

D'Lo avg 15/5/6 last year including almost 20 a game post all star break. That's going to be pretty hard to match.

You don't know what a "Contract year KCP" looks like. He was mediocre in Detroit last year and is going to a worse team.

You don't know if "Soph ingram" is going to take a leap. You don't know what that looks like.

You don't know what "Contract year Randle" Looks like fam.

Brook lopez is good, but you don't know how he'll look like playing with the aforementioned. Ingram was so bad last year that he could improve, and still not contribute to wins. We don't know. Randle still hasnt proved that he can contribute to winning. So at the end of the day, you're doing a lot of hoping and assuming. All of what you said could be true, but it's just as likely that it isn't.

Nick young became a two way player under Luke, D'Lo was really good last year, Lou Williams was awesome under luke, no one on the team right now is as good as Lou Williams or D'Lo but somehow they ALREADY got better.

you trying to sell us on nick young, Lou Williams and D-Lo? They're all the same guy. Shoot first, me first, party first. Glad to be rid of them, especially Lou and swaggy. Kuzma and Lopez plus cutting Moz for Russell was a good trade. We're undoubtedly better and I'll bet we clear last year's 27 wins.

LOLLOLOL fam I'm not trying to sell you on anything Lou Will and Nick Young and D'Lo were better than everyone on the Laker team right now minus Brook Lopez. When you factor that in along with the fact that the west got better, it's unlikely that they clear 27 wins.

Only way we don't clear 27 games is if Lonzo goes down. Are you prepared to bare witness?
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#242 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:18 pm

RingsDontLie wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:so lonzo makes scrubs look like scrubs , and still can't shoot it efficiently, and that somehow translates to playoffs????

serious?

Are you serious????

All you have to do is literally keep ball in check in transition and at the 3 point line and he essentially stopped. He has a very limited offensive skillset at this point that NBA teams, like they always do, expose. Whats even more entertaining is that this is largely based off Summer League, which is the tryouts for the NBA Team tryouts. Making scrubs look like scrubs is something a #2 pick should do.

Look at the rest of the roster, while I am a HUGE FAN of KCP, what else do the lakers bring?? INgram!? he's still at least 2-3 years away, Lopez is nice but he didn't do sh* brooklyn, Randle again is what.......................developing???

Lakers have nice pieces but so did Minny (KAT & Wiggins). At this point Lakers are more potential than actual production and if they are serious about adding bron and co, the majority of players mentioned will be traded away for more ready now pieces.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#243 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:23 pm

JGOJustin wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:
JGOJustin wrote:
You don't know this. Brook is an upgrade, but we don't know if that is going to translate into wins.

You also don't know if Ball is going to be an upgrade over Russell. Russell was good last year, and was VERY good post Lou Williams trade. I seriously don't Ball will be that good in year 1.

Laker bias got y'all fooled. There's no way Ball will be as good as Russell in YEAR ONE. Other than Lopez, every player on the roster is either unproven, or not good.
:crazy: ...Man I've been watching pro ball for more than 30 years, I knew NBA talent all too well. It's comical of you to tell me what I don't know. But keep thinking you're right.

:lol watching basketball for 30 years doesn't certify of you of anything unless you've done so professionally and regardless, what I meant was that it hasn't happened yet so we really do not know lmaoo

You really don't know if Lopez being better than Mozzy will translate to wins. We really don't know if Ball will be better than Russell in year one.

What we do know is by most metrics, ON PAPER, the team last year that won 27 games got worse. That's not me hating on the Lakers or anything like that, that's what it is at the moment. Can they outperform that? Maybe we'll see but at this very moment, doesn't appear so.
30 years let's me know that Ball will be better than Russell on many levels, Russell may end up the better scorer over his career but there are already other intangibles that he does better than Russell now...mainly rebounding and passing.

But you bring up valid points, bottom line is nobody knows for sure if the Lakers can or can't make the playoffs. A lot of factors have to happen for it to happen. I stated my belief on the matter, we just have to see what happens.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,826

Post#244 » by TyCobb » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:27 am

Year 1 Lonzo will smash Year 1-3 Russell's impact. Russ couldn't get his teammates on the same page for an extended period of time, not to mention the quality of teammates has dramatically improved. They won't make the playoffs in 2017-2018, but the team is much better than last season.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
patman52
Lead Assistant
And1: 848

Post#245 » by patman52 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:33 am

I think they are better than the suns but that is it. I think the other two low lottery teams from last year also improved more. Timberwolves and Kings both improved more.

Towns-Butler-Dieng- Wiggins-Teague with Gibson, Shabazz and Jones and Crawford.

WCS and the New-old guys also make them a better team next year.
RingsDontLie
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Post#246 » by RingsDontLie » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:39 pm

I think this season, the Lakers can be better than:

Clippers(Lost CP3)
Jazz(Lost Hayward)
Mavericks(Dirk is old)
Kings
Suns
Pelicans
Nuggets

Only teams that I can guarantee will be better than the Lakers are:

GSW
OKC
Rockets
Spurs
Grizzlies

Teams still up in the air:

Minnessota
Portland

That puts Lakers around the 7th seed. 7th to 8th seed is pretty doable as I said.
Ice Trae
RealGM
And1: 10,964

Post#247 » by Ice Trae » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:46 pm

RingsDontLie wrote:I think this season, the Lakers can be better than:

Clippers(Lost CP3) - no
Jazz(Lost Hayward) - no
Mavericks(Dirk is old) - possibly
Kings - yes
Suns - yes
Pelicans - no
Nuggets - no

GSW
OKC
Rockets
Spurs
Grizzlies

Minnessota - no
Portland - no

That puts Lakers around the 7th seed. 7th to 8th seed is pretty doable as I said.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,676

Post#248 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:10 pm

I'll sound like a crazy laker fan, but I think and I can't believe I"m going this high, but 3%. I know, I'm going crazy with that one, but I had to go there. I mean ball might even be a replacement level player!

jokes aside, there is 0 chance they are in the playoffs. I'm not sure they have 5 legit starters on their roster. Ball is not going to be an impact player. Ingram is highly unlikely to be a meaningful player next year. This team is awful.
JGOJustin
Pro Prospect
And1: 726

Post#249 » by JGOJustin » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:25 pm

Clippers(Lost CP3)
Jazz(Lost Hayward)
Mavericks(Dirk is old)
Kings
Suns
Pelicans
Nuggets

GSW
OKC
Rockets
Spurs
Grizzlies

Minnessota
Portland

You think the Lakers are better than both the Jazz and the Clippers RIGHT NOW

and say that the blazers and twolves being better is "Up in the air"

My god lol
@JamalCristopher - Come Back To California https://soundcloud.com/jamalcristopher/california
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,539

Post#250 » by brackdan70 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:54 pm

Jkam31 wrote:If they come 5 games with the 8 seed I'd buy every member on realgm my some BBB shoes

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

just quoting so I can track you down if it happens..... I think you are safe though.
Sign here
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,539

Post#251 » by brackdan70 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:56 pm

Clippers(Lost CP3)
Jazz(Lost Hayward)
Mavericks(Dirk is old)
Kings
Suns
Pelicans
Nuggets

GSW
OKC
Rockets
Spurs
Grizzlies

Minnessota
Portland

I like your optimism, but they are closer to bottom 5 than top 8.
Sign here
RingsDontLie
Veteran

Post#252 » by RingsDontLie » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:42 am

JGOJustin wrote:

Clippers(Lost CP3)
Jazz(Lost Hayward)
Mavericks(Dirk is old)
Kings
Suns
Pelicans
Nuggets

GSW
OKC
Rockets
Spurs
Grizzlies

Minnessota
Portland

My god lol

Have you seen the clippers roster? It's pretty bad, they got Beverly at point. Blake defensively is a joke but yes, he can carry you guys offensively...though not a good idea to let him try to do it every game. Other than that, Deondre is one trick, and Lou is good, but he's a journeyman for a reason. Remember when you guys had Eric Gordon and were 32-50 before cp3 arrived. Well don't expect much without CP3 there. CP3 made you guys relevant. He's gone. I don't think you realize the turn around you guys had when you got CP3. You are not going to get even close to the amount of wins you had with CP3 last season.

Without Hayward, Jazz won't do to good either. I think they might be better than the clippers though.
InfinityZero
Sophomore
And1: 152

Post#253 » by InfinityZero » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:27 am

Unless 8 of the 15 Western Conference teams are involved in plane crashes killing them, the Lakers have no chance of making the playoffs.

Lavar Ball has a better chance of banging Jennifer Lawrence than the Lakers do of making the playoffs. He also has a better chance of going to Heaven than the Lakers do of making the playoffs. Both of those things have 0% chance of happening as well
InfinityZero
Sophomore

Post#254 » by InfinityZero » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:32 am

RingsDontLie wrote:
JGOJustin wrote:

Clippers(Lost CP3)
Jazz(Lost Hayward)
Mavericks(Dirk is old)
Kings
Suns
Pelicans
Nuggets

GSW
OKC
Rockets
Spurs
Grizzlies

Minnessota
Portland

My god lol

Have you seen the clippers roster? It's pretty bad, they got Beverly at point. Blake defensively is a joke but yes, he can carry you guys offensively...though not a good idea to let him try to do it every game. Other than that, Deondre is one trick, and Lou is good, but he's a journeyman for a reason. Remember when you guys had Eric Gordon and were 32-50 before cp3 arrived. Well don't expect much without CP3 there. CP3 made you guys relevant. He's gone. I don't think you realize the turn around you guys had when you got CP3. You are not going to get even close to the amount of wins you had with CP3 last season.

Without Hayward, Jazz won't do to good either. I think they might be better than the clippers though.

Have you seen the Lakers roster? It's like the Chicago Bulls of the West but younger with worse defense. You're one of the most delusional people I've ever encountered. You might want to seek psychiatric help before your Obozocare runs out.
lamscott
Analyst
And1: 3,036

Post#255 » by lamscott » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:32 am

Lakers make the playoffs.
InfinityZero
Sophomore

Post#256 » by InfinityZero » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:36 am

lamscott wrote:Lakers make the playoffs.

And North Korea will become the most powerful country in the world. Everyone is free to make stupid comments and predictions, it makes for quality comedy to read on the toilet.
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach
And1: 2,296

Post#257 » by Nuggets_Talk » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:53 am

Clippers(Lost CP3)
Jazz(Lost Hayward)
Mavericks(Dirk is old)
Kings
Suns
Pelicans
Nuggets

GSW
OKC
Rockets
Spurs
Grizzlies

Minnessota
Portland

Problem I have with posts like this is if he's right - he bumps this and brags all season long.

If, no...when he's wrong he ignores this thread and nothing happens. He's free rolling.

When you're wrong, any future credibility you have is gone.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,142

Post#258 » by Lalouie » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:56 am

going on last season's final standings, lal would need +15 wins to get to the #8 seed. if one is to assume there might be dropoff of a couple of teams like the jazz and clips, 1)how much will they really drop, 2) what about the five teams ahead of the lakers that didnt make the playoffs, including the kings, pelicans, and timberwolves, 3)and for some context about getting +15wins,,,jordan +11, magic+11, lebron +18, shaq+21,,,and do the lakers have any real stars. so aside from getting 41 wins the lakers have to jump over 5 other non-playoff teams to do it

= chances are a zillion to 1....and i love zo
RingsDontLie
Veteran

Post#259 » by RingsDontLie » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:40 am

Lalouie wrote:going on last season's final standings, lal would need +15 wins to get to the #8 seed. if one is to assume there might be dropoff of a couple of teams like the jazz and clips, 1)how much will they really drop, 2) what about the five teams ahead of the lakers that didnt make the playoffs, including the kings, pelicans, and timberwolves, 3)and for some context about getting +15wins,,,jordan +11, magic+11, lebron +18, shaq+21,,,and do the lakers have any real stars. so aside from getting 41 wins the lakers have to jump over 5 other non-playoff teams to do it

Lakers will be battling the clipps or jaxzz for the last two spots it would seem. You will see how bad the clipps are without cp3. Steep drop off for them.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#260 » by monopoman » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:56 am

RingsDontLie wrote:
Lalouie wrote:going on last season's final standings, lal would need +15 wins to get to the #8 seed. if one is to assume there might be dropoff of a couple of teams like the jazz and clips, 1)how much will they really drop, 2) what about the five teams ahead of the lakers that didnt make the playoffs, including the kings, pelicans, and timberwolves, 3)and for some context about getting +15wins,,,jordan +11, magic+11, lebron +18, shaq+21,,,and do the lakers have any real stars. so aside from getting 41 wins the lakers have to jump over 5 other non-playoff teams to do it

Lakers will be battling the clipps or jaxzz for the last two spots it would seem. You will see how bad the clipps are without cp3. Steep drop off for them.

If the Clips are done you better nab that over/under on their record and bet big on the under. I mean right now Vegas has them at 41 and a 1/2 wins so Vegas already expects a drop but it seems like you are predicting they would be lucky to win 40 games.

Either that or bet on your Lakers for over they are 32.5 wins now which is out of the playoff picture in most cases so if they are clearly a playoff team then that's an easy win with the over.

Return to The General Board