Wojnarowski: Trail Blazers Want Carmelo Anthony To Waive No-Trade Clause For Portland

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

bulliedog8
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Re: Wojnarowski: Trail Blazers Want Carmelo Anthony To Waive No-Trade Clause For Portland 

Post#41 » by bulliedog8 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:56 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Zombiesonics wrote:Suprised the number of posters ITT who don't realize how good Portland is when nurkic is healthy. If they could keep aminu or harkless, that would be some line up.

Nurk was only around for like 30 games, but he completely transformed that team defensively. Most casual fans didn't pay close enough attention most likely.

Werent they on pace for like a 55 win season once he got there? He was amazing with them. Thats why it is so hard to rank the west. Especially the Northwest with the Blazers, Wolves, Thunder, Nuggets, and Jazz. It wont happen, but all 5 could easily be 50 win teams.

I dont see the Jazz falling off much really. I think Hood will get MIP and their defense will still be great to keep them in games. Nuggets got Milsap (lose gallo), wolves got butler. Thunder got PG13. Gonna be a brutal division.
mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

Re: Wojnarowski: Trail Blazers Want Carmelo Anthony To Waive No-Trade Clause For Portland 

Post#42 » by mr_sunshine » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:59 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
bon wrote:Lillard, CJ, and Melo would be the worst defensive trio in the league

Nurkic covers a lot defensively. Once they had him, Portland was a Top 10 defensive squad.

Over a super gigantic sample size of 20 games against mostly bad teams. You really cannot jump to conclusions based off last season.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,934

Post#43 » by DusterBuster » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:07 pm

og15 wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
cucad8 wrote:
Harkless, Leonard, Davis, and Vonleh for Anthony and O'Quinn?
NY supposedly covets Harkless. Davis is serviceable and expiring. Vonleh a PF prospect to take a look at next to Porzingas. Leonard a bad contract, but less than 1/2 of what Anderson makes.

This is the exact same trade i was thinking.
Portland uses Aminu and Nurkic defensive ability to help the Dame/CJ/Melo flood gates and make a balanced lineup. They also will cut future salary to resign Nurkic.
NY gets a legit player in Harkless on a good contract.
The only downside is that NY can have 30M in cap space next year... do they really want to give that away for Harkless and Leonard.

Personally, I think NY/Portland need to find a 3rd team to take them and give NY expirings, which would be much easier to find for them instead of Anderson

Portland was 24th in Drtg this past season with Harkless at SF, but not sure how they were with Nurkic defensively. So it might be hard for those guys to make up for the others defensively, but I don't know.

Top 10 DRTG with Nurk if I recall correctly. Think like 7 or so. It was a MASSIVE improvement with him.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Smithers
Pro Prospect
And1: 180

Post#44 » by Smithers » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:49 pm

I know it's very unlikely Melo would waive his NTC for Portland because it's a smaller market but from an on the court standpoint he should really do it. A combination of Melo, Lillard, & Mccollum is signifcantly better than any 3 GS can throw out there.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,934

Post#45 » by DusterBuster » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:01 pm

Smithers wrote:I know it's very unlikely Melo would waive his NTC for Portland because it's a smaller market but from an on the court standpoint he should really do it. A combination of Melo, Lillard, & Mccollum is signifcantly better than any 3 GS can throw out there.

Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Crunky
Junior
And1: 70

Post#46 » by Crunky » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:12 pm

Smithers wrote:I know it's very unlikely Melo would waive his NTC for Portland because it's a smaller market but from an on the court standpoint he should really do it. A combination of Melo, Lillard, & Mccollum is signifcantly better than any 3 GS can throw out there.

What?
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,452

Post#47 » by whocurrz » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:26 pm

Melo Lillard and McCollum is not better than Curry Klay and KD especially when you take into account defense.
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
couchie
Pro Prospect
And1: 495

Post#48 » by couchie » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:29 pm

oooh you got jokes LOL.
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#49 » by PKABOOICU » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:30 pm

InfinityZero wrote:

Lonzo Ball - Brandon Ingram - Julius Randle - Brooke Lopez

must be quite convenient to leave out one of the best defensive players in the game in KCP.
let me know if you need a reminder of his capabilities..I'll be more than happy to add a few youtube clips for you.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#50 » by MaxRider » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:31 pm

Melo is not going to waive his no trade clause for Portland
Main reason he's willing to waive it for Houston and Cleveland is because his buddy CP3 and LeBron are there
spicy6
Starter
And1: 1,841

Post#51 » by spicy6 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:32 pm

You could argue those three are the worst stars at there positions when it comes to defense, on top of that theyre not even the scorers that Curry, Thompson, and KD are so :crazy:
Smithers
Pro Prospect
And1: 180

Post#52 » by Smithers » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:33 pm

whocurrz wrote:

Melo Lillard and McCollum is not better than Curry Klay and KD especially when you take into account defense.

LOL you can't be serious right now
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#53 » by Agenda42 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:43 pm

TTP wrote:I don't understand Portland's motivation for this. I'm not sure it would make them much better (if at all). Their perimeter defense would be atrocious and it just takes the ball out of their two stars' hands.

The trade deals that were being floated were basically:

Moe Harkless and a dubious contract to New York
Melo to Houston
Ryan Anderson to Portland

Portland's point is basically "well if New York is getting all the stuff they want from us, why would we not get Melo?"

As for why Portland does this, the thesis is that Melo is not much worse financially and is better on the court than Harkless+Leonard.

I think it quite unlikely that Melo wants to come to Portland. He's clearly a big city guy.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#54 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Smithers wrote:
whocurrz wrote:

You really think Melo, Lillard, and McCollum are better than Klay, Curry, and KD? Do you mind explaining why you think that?
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,037

Post#55 » by Revived » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:45 pm

inquisitive wrote:Blazers FO would rather have 2 yrs left of Melo's contract than 3 yrs left of Crabbe, Turner, Harkless, or Leonard. I don't blame them. Just trying to get rid of some contracts off their book.They just wanna move one or two of those guys . Melo's expiring deal after this season shouldn't be too difficult to move if they choose to do so. Plus GMs are always gonna have big eyes when a 'star' is on the trade market. The curiosity of if he will fit or not will always be there.

The problem is that Melo doesn't want to play there.

Yeah it will because he will stay his no trade clause right? Or does that clause go away once it's waived once during his contract?
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,804

Post#56 » by og15 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:47 pm

Knicks gave the guy a no trade, this is what happens with a no trade. If they can't find a trade that suits their desires, they really should just acquiesce and agree to a buyout. You get nothing, but you also don't take back any bad contracts. I have no clue why any organization would want such a distraction like this hanging over the team all season long.
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#57 » by PKABOOICU » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:52 pm

MaxRider wrote:Melo is not going to waive his no trade clause for Portland
Main reason he's willing to waive it for Houston and Cleveland is because his buddy CP3 and LeBron are there

I mean, if he can waive it for Houston, I dont see why he shouldn't waive it for Portland....Yeah, Houston has the bigger names, but Portland has the emergence of CJ McCollum, who is a great player.
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,452

Post#58 » by whocurrz » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Smithers wrote:
whocurrz wrote:

Curry is better on both offense and defense than Lillard. CJ is probably a bit better on offense than Klay but much worse on defense and Melo is significantly worse on both ends of the floor than KD
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#59 » by MaxRider » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:56 pm

PKABOOICU wrote:
MaxRider wrote:Melo is not going to waive his no trade clause for Portland

I mean, if he can waive it for Houston, I dont see why he shouldn't waive it for Portland....Yeah, Houston has the bigger names, but Portland has the emergence of CJ McCollum, who is a great player.

Did you read my comment? It's because he wants to play with his buddy. No one close to him is in Portland. If he wants to win why he won't waive it for team like San Antonio, Toronto, well not like GSW need him.
He originally didn't even want to leave NY because he wants to stay close to his son. But Knicks want to trade him, so he said he's willing to waive it for Cleveland and Houston.
norcocredo
Rookie
And1: 1,431

Post#60 » by norcocredo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:56 pm

InfinityZero wrote:

Lonzo Ball - Brandon Ingram - Julius Randle - Brooke Lopez

Haha. Someone failed remedial math.

Return to The General Board