Auction draft instead of lottery draft.

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,321

Re: Auction draft instead of lottery draft. 

Post#41 » by Froob » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:00 pm

I think people overstate how many teams actually tank, there's a lot of bad teams out there.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,545

Post#42 » by Profound23 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:05 pm

Purch wrote:Lmao, trust me when I say you don't want to open up that can of worms.

The NCAA is always accused of using black athletes as slaves, and then you want them to be part of an auction at the pro level?

I can see something controversial from a mile away. The articles write themselves.

These are the kind of things I call avoidable landminds

Pretty much. Let's get a group of mostly white men AUCTION bidding on a group of predominantly black men.

Reminds me of the League when they did their auction draft.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#43 » by KuruptedCav » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:14 pm

Just make it an open financial bidding system from the ownership side of the BRI ledger. The larger market/wealthier/win now teams will bid through the roof; allowing the remaining teams better compete financially.

Sure, the Spurs might never draft the number 1 pick; but they haven't needed to recently.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#44 » by whysoserious » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:16 pm

Could you not do the auction based on draft slots? Meaning there's 30 picks in a round and all workouts must be scheduled and completed by x date, auction on the drafting position takes place (maybe a week prior), then on the draft, teams pick their players based on what draft slots they purchased.
Seabass11
Sixth Man

Post#45 » by Seabass11 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:21 pm

So why even use tokens? Why not just grant each team a draft salary based on record, and basically have the teams offer salaries to each player and high bidder wins. Draft salary can be carried over for X number of years
iqureshi
Junior
And1: 211

Post#46 » by iqureshi » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:24 pm

hurts small market.

lets say the kings had most tokens and lakers had 3rd most amount. players would take less value to play on a team with more marketability
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,892

Post#47 » by TGW » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:30 pm

Seabass11 wrote:So why even use tokens? Why not just grant each team a draft salary based on record, and basically have the teams offer salaries to each player and high bidder wins. Draft salary can be carried over for X number of years

It would be a pain for the CBA, I think.

But admittedly, I do like the idea of a token system.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,323

Post#48 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:30 pm

I think the problem is first round draft picks would become crazy valuable as you could stack tokens. I think it would be much less likely that you would see first round picks being traded at all. Think of Portland with their 3 picks this year, how high up would they be drafting? Top 5? #1 overall? Then you've got Sacramento who would just leap everyone with their top picks. Its a fun idea in theory, I just think it absolutely destroys the trade market for draft picks.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,892

Post#49 » by TGW » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:31 pm

iqureshi wrote:hurts small market.

lets say the kings had most tokens and lakers had 3rd most amount. players would take less value to play on a team with more marketability

The players wouldn't have a choice though. Whoever the highest bidder is wins, period.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,323

Post#50 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:32 pm

timdunkit wrote:The amount of attention tanking and the draft gets is blown out of proportion compared to the actual impact it has. At the end of the day, you want the worst teams getting the best young players. It's their best chance to improve and move up.

What would be an interesting experiment to me is if restricted free agency is removed from rookie contracts. Small market franchises would never go for it because it would reduce their control. But it would prevent teams from tanking several years in a row.

Yea, small market teams would never go for it because it would pretty much destroy any chance they ever have at being something. Small market teams can't keep their stars as it is, your idea would just make it even more difficult for them.
Seabass11
Sixth Man

Post#51 » by Seabass11 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:36 pm

I will preface this by saying I am white, and I really hope I don't offend anyone when I say this, but wouldnt it be poetic Justice if this was called an auction.

Basically like "yeah rich a** holes use to hold auctions like this for slavery, but now they're bidding on who gets to sign my million dollar paycheck."
britblazerdude
RealGM
And1: 1,344

Post#52 » by britblazerdude » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:51 pm

Purch wrote:Lmao, trust me when I say you don't want to open up that can of worms.

The NCAA is always accused of using black athletes as slaves, and then you want them to be part of an auction at the pro level?

I can see something controversial from a mile away. The articles write themselves.

Not sure how that's really different than a draft, though.
To Dare Is To Do? 13 League Titles. You've only got 2.
Edumacated
Senior
And1: 404

Post#53 » by Edumacated » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:34 pm

I think allowing teams to keep the tokens for future drafts makes it more interesting. Teams might not tank if they know that they would only have the 10th most tokens going into that year's draft. To echo what other's have said, teams should be bidding for draft spots not players.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#54 » by FNQ » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:38 pm

Came here to say exactly this. And landmines ;)

I mean if people were to sit here and rationally think about how the draft/contracts/trading works.. its not that different. Imagine if the NBA paid normal people wages :o
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#55 » by whysoserious » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:42 pm

Edumacated wrote:I think allowing teams to keep the tokens for future drafts makes it more interesting. Teams might not tank if they know that they would only have the 10th most tokens going into that year's draft. To echo what other's have said, teams should be bidding for draft spots not players.

Ya, carry over of tokens for years should be allowed but there needs to be a cap too, something like a 3 year window to use or forfeit them. What it would do though to certain drafts is that teams that aren't in the lottery might have a gem they've identified and suddenly move up. While other teams sell tokens off to help the bidding.

Also, you could see teams that are rebuilding or failing at competing that fall in to a good number of tokens, pick up two players in the same draft and if they pick the right guys, can get out of the bottom of the draft much quicker.
BlackieMamba
Sophomore
And1: 33

Post#56 » by BlackieMamba » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:48 pm

If you want your tokens to carry over to the next year you can only save 50% of them. For example, if you have 20 tokens and use 8. You want to save the remaining 12 for next year cause no one else in this draft tickles your fancy, so next year you will only have an additional 6 tokens.

Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 2,992

Post#57 » by Teen Girl Squad » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:06 pm

BlackieMamba wrote:If you want your tokens to carry over to the next year you can only save 50% of them. For example, if you have 20 tokens and use 8. You want to save the remaining 12 for next year cause no one else in this draft tickles your fancy, so next year you will only have an additional 6 tokens.

I like this caveat to the auction idea. I'm always for rewarding smart front offices rather than sheer dumb 'luck' *cough Cleveland cough.* You don't want teams hoarding for superstars though. You would need a token system though, as going the rookie cap space route introduces too many "I'll take less from LA/NY/GS and Nike will pay the difference" type shenanigans. Its a shame that we can't consider it over silly political correctness (race issues are very serious and very real but to avoid a good idea because it alludes to something that ended 150 years ago is irrational).
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 2,992

Post#58 » by Teen Girl Squad » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:10 pm

Froob wrote:I think people overstate how many teams actually tank, there's a lot of bad teams out there.

To me, the bigger issue is less the tanking, which I agree is overstated, and more that the middle has become a no-mans land where if you get to solid but not elite status, you can get stuck on treadmill status with little chance of significant improvement. A token system, for example, would have allowed, say a Memphis to save some tokens and go in on Monk, a shooter they really need, who was a later lottery pick, rather than always being stuck in the 20ish range.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#59 » by Paradise » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:29 pm

Froob wrote:I think people overstate how many teams actually tank, there's a lot of bad teams out there.

Yeah, I never understand the tanking logic. There is only 14 teams in the lottery and only five have a legit shot at landing the best three prospects in the nation.

The best way to truly avoid tanking would be to guarantee the team with the worst record with the #1 pick and start the lottery after #1. Teams are less likely to tank for the 2nd and 3rd overall selections every season.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,155

Post#60 » by Edrees » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:44 pm

LOL, this is silly. If you consider being forced to be drafted to an NBA team slavery, the only difference auction and current system is that slaveholders bid on you to decide which slave they want, versus slaveholders running a lottery to decide which slave they want.

britblazerdude wrote:

Not sure how that's really different than a draft, though.

Seems like Purch thinks think slavery can be legal as long as slaves are given to masters on a lottery system and not a bidding system. The whole notion is ridiculous, just because the word "Auction" is used. Fine, call it a "jam" then. (Synonym to auction)

Return to The General Board