Anyone see Jason Kidd or Chris Paul in Lonzo Ball?

Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Re: Anyone see Jason Kidd or Chris Paul in Lonzo Ball? 

Post#101 » by Papi_swav » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:37 pm

Definitely Jason Kidd all the way, especially with his touch passes, that was one of Jason Kidds specialties. Also he is a triple double machine like Kidd and doesn't look to score, like Kidd. Kidd was a great defender but Ball is bigger and longer so he has a chance to be better than Kidd IMO. Kidd also didn't have a 3 point shot early in his career, Ball is solid from downtown already.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#102 » by lars_rosenberg » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:45 pm

His passing is similar to Jokic. Of course they are totally different players, but they seem to have the best court vision and genius.
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#103 » by Jkam31 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:50 pm

Black Jack wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:He's definitely more of a scorer than Kidd. Not too sure why people compare him to Kidd so much. The only thing i can think of is them looking at the rebounding numbers.

I can think of another thing

Haha they actually look alike there

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
ProfessorJM
Starter
And1: 1,176

Post#104 » by ProfessorJM » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:05 pm

Lonzo definitely has some Kidd in him, although Lonzo is probably much weaker physically than Kidd at this point. I don't see much CP3 because Lonzo is much more of a fit for say Golden State's offense with a lot of quicker ball movement while CP3 has been more methodical and ball dominant to me. I think Lonzo is the perfect fit for Walton's offense (i.e. bringing on some Warrior concepts over) because he moves the ball quickly, only takes 3s and paint shots (almost no mid-range shots which is what I would want too) and has some good length to boot. He's not elite to me athletically, and can he get in the paint consistently in the NBA?
2ndOrder
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#105 » by 2ndOrder » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:15 pm

Honestly I feel that lonzo is going to change the game. The last couple of years we saw the game evolve and we saw more teams focusing on 3 pointers. The player that caused this was Stephen Curry. Even the best player on earth Lebron started hitting 3's at a better clip. The league changed cause they thought steph's game was more efficient. Lonzo will change the league with his elite passing. Even right now, you can see how unorthodox his passing is. It's unreal, he gets the ball and makes the quick pass. It has been done before, but since he's on the lakers, it'll get more media attention. It's exciting and so far, it seems to be working. More kids will want to play like lonzo if he becomes a great player. Very similar to Jason Kidd with the quick passes but with more media attention, it'll get noticed.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,155

Post#106 » by Edrees » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:16 pm

I don't know if I'd compare him to either one. He's too different from them both but I guess he's closer to Kidd since he doesn't have cp3' offensive game but has Kidd's passing..

Please for the love of god i hope he doesn't start flopping like CP3. Please don't do it lonzo, thats all I ask.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,407

Post#107 » by ILOVEIT » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:42 pm

Yep. Nice comparison. Although let's not forget how tenacious Jason's defense was.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Tetlak
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,134

Post#108 » by Tetlak » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:42 pm

I've never heard of anybody comparing him to Jason Kidd.

OP, you're a trend setter.
Texas_Lakers
Senior
And1: 354

Post#109 » by Texas_Lakers » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:13 pm

flintsky21 wrote:
LonzoBall2 wrote:When is all said and done both comparisons Kidd and Paul will fall very short. Neither of those two ever won a championship for their team. I can see Lonzo being a championship caliber PG.

So.. who's Lonzo gonna be replacing in the all-time Lakers 5 in your sig? Magic or West? 8-)

West if he win's 3 or more chips, Magic if can win 5 or more chips.
2018 Los Angeles Rams
Texas_Lakers
Senior

Post#110 » by Texas_Lakers » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:15 pm

Bball0000 wrote:
LonzoBall2 wrote:When is all said and done both comparisons Kidd and Paul will fall very short. Neither of those two ever won a championship for their team. I can see Lonzo being a championship caliber PG.

2011 Mavs?

J-Kid played on the 2011 Mavs? Ok, Kidd may have played on that team but I would say Dirk won the Mavs the chip.
2018 Los Angeles Rams
Texas_Lakers
Senior

Post#111 » by Texas_Lakers » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:16 pm

Jkam31 wrote:
Black Jack wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:He's definitely more of a scorer than Kidd. Not too sure why people compare him to Kidd so much. The only thing i can think of is them looking at the rebounding numbers.

I can think of another thing

Haha they actually look alike there

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Yeah, the resemblance is freakishly close. :lol:
2018 Los Angeles Rams
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#112 » by MemphisX » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:40 pm

Not like Kidd or CP3 to me. I'll wait until I see him around more real players but his comp is hard to find.

He is so weak physically that he can't do all the things he tries to do on the court.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Jables
Analyst
And1: 2,443

Post#113 » by Jables » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:52 pm

No, no I do not.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,265

Post#114 » by kodo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:59 pm

I don't see a strong Kidd resemblance other than the great court vision...but that's not a criticism of ball.

Ball looks like he's more of a star playmaker mold like Lebron. He will score or pass, whatever will win the game. Kidd was a dedicated passer/setup PG.

The two guys handle the same situation differently. If there's an opening,
- Lonzo Ball will attack the basket and blow by his defender, finishing with a layup or dunk.

- Kidd would attack it but then slow down to give the defenses enough time to rotate over so he could pass it to someone else.

On Ball's fastbreak there were numerous opportunities to throw a pass. He had a teammate wide open at the 3 point line, his center was cutting straight to the hoop. But he took it in himself, which may have been the best decision.

In that situation Kidd would have thrown a pass...for better or worse.
KobeBryant24
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Post#115 » by KobeBryant24 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:19 pm

MemphisX wrote:Not like Kidd or CP3 to me. I'll wait until I see him around more real players but his comp is hard to find.

He is so weak physically that he can't do all the things he tries to do on the court.

Well he is 19 yrs old and a rookie.
Manitoba
Junior
And1: 74

Post#116 » by Manitoba » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:51 pm

madskillz8 wrote:it's also hard to find a strong comparison for Fultz, Josh Jackson, Fox, Isaac and etc (except Tatum, I like Melo comparisons).

Offensively, De'Aaron Fox reminds me of Jeremy Lin. I can't judge Fox's defense at the moment.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#117 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:11 pm

All I know is if Luke Walton is trying to build an offense similar to GS's high volume ball movement, he found the perfect PG for it. LA from day 1 is going to be one of the funner offenses to watch in the league. I expect huge jumps in Ingram and Randle.
dho4ever
Rookie
And1: 760

Post#118 » by dho4ever » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:19 pm

LonzoBall2 wrote:
Bball0000 wrote:

2011 Mavs?

J-Kid played on the 2011 Mavs? Ok, Kidd may have played in that team but I would say Dirk won the Mavs the chip.

Kidd guarded Kobe, Westbrook and Wade and averaged the second most minutes per game on the team behind Dirk. He might not have put up the numbers but his impact was there.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,048

Post#119 » by Capn'O » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:19 pm

Kidd works because Ball is such a monster in transition. Kidd was a better halfcourt PG though. I don't like Kidd as a Ball comparison because Lonzo's halfcourt north-south game is pretty weak but is shot is better. Ball's gonna have pretty high shooting percentages but I have yet to see an ability to break down defenses with his own dribble drive.

I've never seen a good comparison match for him.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
britblazerdude
RealGM
And1: 1,344

Post#120 » by britblazerdude » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:21 pm

KobeBryant24 wrote:
MemphisX wrote:Not like Kidd or CP3 to me. I'll wait until I see him around more real players but his comp is hard to find.

Well he is 19 yrs old and a rookie.

It's like when people say LaMelo is undersized and doesn't read the game well :lol: :lol: :lol:
To Dare Is To Do? 13 League Titles. You've only got 2.

Return to The General Board