Anyone see Jason Kidd or Chris Paul in Lonzo Ball?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,669

Re: Anyone see Jason Kidd or Chris Paul in Lonzo Ball? 

Post#81 » by SelfishPlayer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:42 pm

There should be another word for how point guards generate points for themselves besides the word score. Lonzo Ball is not a great scorer at the moment, but he will generate points for himself. He will have the basketball the entire game. He'll get buckets in transition, early offense, and while catching the defense sleeping. For him, IMO that can be good for a 16-22 ppg average depending on how many 3's he can make.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#82 » by QRich3 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:48 pm

Kidd might actually be a decent comparison offensively, people remember the Jason Kidd from later in his career, but when he was young he loved to push the pace up too. Obviously, it's 2017 instead of 1997, so their games are different in the sense that the game is different now, but I can see the comparison a little bit.

In any case, he seems like an exciting player that's gonna be a lot of fun to watch, I'm pretty jealous of the Lakers for having him tbh. Look forward to see his career unfold, in any case.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#83 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:53 pm

ItsThatEasy wrote:See my post above, would like to hear your input.

Well, again, Lonzo would have to get a lot better at defense, midrange, and the post to be the next Shaun Livingston.

I know people don't want to hear it, but I still see Ricky Rubio as the best comp for Lonzo.
lilswift01
Rookie
And1: 927

Post#84 » by lilswift01 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:58 pm

I think Lonzo can develop into a great defender. His instincts are already there and he has great length for his position. He just needs to gain experience and strength, understand angles and get used to the speed of the game. But i have no doubt he will be a great defender in a few years.
Grahf
Sixth Man
And1: 1,557

Post#85 » by Grahf » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:23 pm

He'll never be the defender Jason Kidd was, but he has a chance to be a much better shooter. Kidd never really developed an outside shot until he was past his prime. If Lonzo can consistently hit from outside, he's a multiple all star. It's going to be fun rooting against him.
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:With all things considered I will probably have LeVert before Jaylen.
Hindenburg
Head Coach
And1: 13,854

Post#86 » by Hindenburg » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:31 pm

Kidd couldn't shoot the ball to save his life early in his career. I see Lonzo being more like Nash. Unselfish creative passer who can shoot from deep.

Kidd was also a much better defender, so I like Nash comparison more.
TankCommander17
Bench Warmer
And1: 665

Post#87 » by TankCommander17 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:39 pm

Jason Kidd was an amazing defender on top of being one of the best playmakers in nba history. He also was more athletic than Ball is.

Please let's stop the hype train until he does this in the regular season. I am rooting for the kid. Because he unlike his dad is real humble and looks to be a good kid. I may be wrong but that is what I see so far.
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,783

Post#88 » by flintsky21 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:40 pm

Jkam31 wrote:He's both players plus Kawhi defense

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Dayummm. He's gonna be a 5-time MVP then when all is said and done.
Texas_Lakers
Senior
And1: 354

Post#89 » by Texas_Lakers » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:47 pm

When is all said and done both comparisons Kidd and Paul will fall very short. Neither of those two ever won a championship for their team. I can see Lonzo being a championship caliber PG.
2018 Los Angeles Rams
Texas_Lakers
Senior
And1: 354

Post#90 » by Texas_Lakers » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:49 pm

lilswift01 wrote:I think Lonzo can develop into a great defender. His instincts are already there and he has great length for his position. He just needs to gain experience and strength, understand angles and get used to the speed of the game. But i have no doubt he will be a great defender in a few years.
Absolutely, everything I've wanted to see in the kid is already showing, let's see how he taps his potential.
2018 Los Angeles Rams
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,783

Post#91 » by flintsky21 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:51 pm

LonzoBall2 wrote:When is all said and done both comparisons Kidd and Paul will fall very short. Neither of those two ever won a championship for their team. I can see Lonzo being a championship caliber PG.

So.. who's Lonzo gonna be replacing in the all-time Lakers 5 in your sig? Magic or West? 8-)
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

Post#92 » by PerkinsFor3 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:02 pm

Hindenburg wrote:Kidd couldn't shoot the ball to save his life early in his career. I see Lonzo being more like Nash. Unselfish creative passer who can shoot from deep.

Kidd was also a much better defender, so I like Nash comparison more.

Nash was quicker and a better ballhandler though, with a better shot. I hope the Lakers can correct his shot: it's not that his shot is missing badly, but the mechanics enable defenders to block his shot, and it partly negates his height advantage. Much needed improvement there, with work cut out for Lakers trainers. Ball handling too.

However, if Ball had a good shot and was quicker on his feet with better ballhandling, he'd be a clear cut #1 pick, and probably more of a sure fire game changer. He can improve and become something special.
Pan Jia Yuan
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,859

Post#93 » by Pan Jia Yuan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Lavar put their old Chino Hills family home on the market which they had for 20 freaking years. That man is making BANK :lol:
http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/lavar-ball-family-house/view/google/
I've come to the conclusion that most folks don't really care that you broke one of the rules... they just enjoy telling you that you broke it.
Bball0000
Bench Warmer
And1: 361

Post#94 » by Bball0000 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:15 pm

Ball is what Shaun Livingston was suppose to be at #4 overall pick, before injury derailed his career. I'd say a cross between Kidd and a rich man's Shaun Livingston.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#95 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:17 pm

ItsThatEasy wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
ItsThatEasy wrote:If we're talking ceiling here then Kidd and Penny Hardaway should be the comps.

Last night he showed his ability to post up smaller guards for the first time ever (college included) and he looked similar to Penny in that regard.

When it comes to J Kidd, I'm a HUGE Kidd fan but you've got to be delusional to not see similarities between the two. I know people hate Lonzo and comparing him to a HoF-er makes their blood boil, but ceiling wise the comp is there. Defensively he's not close to Kidd but offensively he's shown he has generational passing ability.

Also, most people that are high on Lonzo are guys that actually watched him in high school and college.

If you've been following him then you'd be extremely excited by how much he continues to grow and improve at such a fast rate. He showed absolutely NO mid-range or post game at either level and he's already pulled out a mid-range floater and some mismatch post game in summer league. That kind of self-awareness to understand what you need to work on in addition to ACTUALLY working on it is what separates great players from elite players.

Kidd I can see but Penny Hardaway? Nah.. the guy was an offensive clinic, also a lot bigger + more athletic. Lonzo is not that type of player at all, I'd be fairly surprised if he averages over 20ppg

Penny is a favorite of mine but he's overrated offensively IMO.

His best skills were posting up and finishing at the rim. As a CEILING that could be Lonzo one day. I probably wouldn't have even thrown this comp out two days ago but he took advantage of smaller PG's guarding him the last few games. As mentioned earlier, that's not something he ever did before. So if he can do it effectively this soon in summer league I feel confident and probably a bit hopeful that he can develop that skill more as he grows. Physically he's not as explosive as a young Penny but end to end they're not far off at all. Again, the Penny comp is a projection from me, not something I'm completely sold on. So I could easily taper that down to Shaun Livingston and be comfortable.

I would be wary of assuming what Lonzo can/can't do consistently based on a few summer league plays. Will be surprised if he has very many successful post up possessions all season.

To me he's closer to a poor mans Steve Nash (doesn't have the same PnR acumen of course), than any of these other comparisons. Definite star upside if he develops but I don't think he'll be an overwhelming force who can be the clear #1 on a team.
Bball0000
Bench Warmer
And1: 361

Post#96 » by Bball0000 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:18 pm

LonzoBall2 wrote:When is all said and done both comparisons Kidd and Paul will fall very short. Neither of those two ever won a championship for their team. I can see Lonzo being a championship caliber PG.

2011 Mavs?
KobeBryant24
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Post#97 » by KobeBryant24 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:29 pm

Upperclass wrote:I see young Steve Smith.. when people kept thinking he could point guard in the NBA. Ball plays an unsustainable style of basketball at point guard. He can't penetrate, play pick and roll or run a half court offense. His only benefit is in an open, fastbreak offense. And the Lakers donot have the horses to play that style in the NBA.

It'll be interesting to watch the reactions when Alex Caruso ends up starting more games at point guard than Ball this year.

Is that you martin2vaught?
madskillz8
Senior
And1: 602

Post#98 » by madskillz8 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:30 pm

LAL wrote:I'm glad people are struggling to find a strong comparison for Lonzo's game. It tells me that he is a unique and rare talent and may potentially have the ability to impact the game in a way we haven't seen.

I like the way he play and hope he translates his impact to NBA, but you can simply claim that for almost every lottery pick.

In NBA it is actually hard to find two very similar starter level players since everyone has their unique combination of skills, pros and cons. So if you think Kidd is not a strong comparison for him given their open court skills, quick passes and grab&run style then it's also hard to find a strong comparison for Fultz, Josh Jackson, Fox, Isaac and etc (except Tatum, I like Melo comparisons).
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#99 » by Mulhollanddrive » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Black Mamba to Black Rubio
lamscott
Analyst
And1: 3,036

Post#100 » by lamscott » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:34 pm

He looks like White Chocolate but without the flash and less handles.

Return to The General Board