Kyrie Trade Discussion Continued

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Will Kyrie be traded by the beginning of the season?

Yes
60%
No
29%
Not suer
11%

Total votes: 504

TheBobster
Senior
And1: 646

Re: Kyrie Trade Discussion Continued 

Post#2021 » by TheBobster » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm

phraoh wrote:I remember Knick fans getting all excited about getting Noah and Rose before last season...oh they are going to be a 4 or 5 seed in the playoffs, so I don't think we can go by their thoughts. They are really underestimating both how good Kyrie is and how bad Noah's contract is. KP is "probably" going to be a very good player, "maybe" an all star, but he is just a good player now with "potential". Kyrie is already a great player, an all star, at 25, still not reaching his prime. And yes, I would rather keep Kyrie, but not after his trade request and the obvious issues going on with him and his teammates last season.

This is really nothing new for the Knicks. They have been interested in name players, coaches and front office personnel no matter how they fit in for years - Walt Bellamy, Earl Monroe, Wilt Chamberlain, Bob McAdoo, Spencer Haywood, George McGinnis, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, David Thompson, Marvin Webster, Paul Westphal, John Paxson, Bernard King, Larry Johnson, Stephon Marbury, Amare Stoudemire, LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Pat Riley, Red Auerbach, Larry Brown, Don Nelson, Lenny Wilkens, Phil Jackson, Isiah Thomas. Some have worked out, many haven't and many deals fell through.

It's just the nature of the beast. Playing in New York the Knicks have almost always felt the need to have marquee names, even if they were over-paid.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,217

Post#2022 » by lambchop » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:14 pm

the love and kyrie for porzingis and melo trade is interesting.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#2023 » by Stillwater » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:15 pm

My impression of the NY involvement is strictly based on their ownership's inability to accept a rebuild and tank. Roll with KP and Ntilikina and see what transpires, even if it means caving and giving Melo a buyout. They have a future star in KP but they are not by any means opposed to moving him for KI imo or for any player that increases their odds of winning "with Melo immediately" who they can't trade, despite having also a potential star pg in Ntilikina that they also would likely move if his value was higher in the hopes of bringing in somebody else to join them. In their mind they cannot keep the budding star in KP if he is their only bargaining chip to get rid of bad contracts from Phil,since they cannot move Melo,and will be incapable of adding FA's. So they are focused on clearing bad contracts at least of Noah and having a chance at getting Boogie,Deandre,LMA etc in 2018 fa. They might even think they can attract bigger names than that, but it would be unrealistic in their hopes to Join Melo and KI. and actually compete at a level that is formidable .
I highly doubt Cleveland would take back Noah, but if they had a 3rd team involved that would ,who would receive KP for doing so sending their blue chip player & vet pg to Cavs etc. it might be conceivable
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#2024 » by Stillwater » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:19 pm

I posted this previously , but it was ignored so here it is again , and falls into the only scenario where I think all 3 teams might do it considering some of the things I mentioned in the previous post about NY inability to accept a tank :
Cavs get Miami 2018 from Suns ( Cavs keep it if it falls between 8-14,Suns keep it 15-30,Miami keeps it 1-7)if not transferred Cavs get Suns 2021 1st from Miami unprotected.
Cav's also get NY's 2018 Lottery protected until 2019 where it becomes unprotected.
NY gets Cavs 2019 second round draft pick from Minnesota or L.A. Lakers (less favorable)& Suns 2018 2nd round pick from Toronto.
Suns get 2020 top 10 protected from NY,unprotected in 2021.
Cav's get what they want in a vet pg and a blue chip rook.+ picks. But loses their all star guard & draft and stash Gem.
NY gets better with KI and Bender & Fry's contract is expiring,pawns Noah but gives up KP and two futures.
Phoenix gets better long term adding KP and Ntilikina & Osman for eating Noahs C & shipping JJ / Bender but retains their own 1st round picks & gets another to make up for the Miami pick they ship out.
Not that unrealistic from any teams perspective depending on the value held by each org on player movement.https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6935555
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#2025 » by Takingbaconback » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:44 pm

Team that trades for him won't have an advantage when he hits free agency. In fact it's going to be a disadvantage unless they can knock off the warriors. Irving has said he wants to lead a team and he clearly wants to build his own brand. He has said he's not going to commit to a team and he's gonna get wined and dined across the league. Knicks are the front runners and you can bet he isn't intimidated about turning that franchise around. A lot can change til then but knicks should definitely keep porzingis, he's going to be another factor for Irving to go to NY
PrecociousNeoph
Head Coach
And1: 377

Post#2026 » by PrecociousNeoph » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:53 pm

phraoh wrote:I remember Knick fans getting all excited about getting Noah and Rose before last season...oh they are going to be a 4 or 5 seed in the playoffs, so I don't think we can go by their thoughts. They are really underestimating both how good Kyrie is and how bad Noah's contract is. KP is "probably" going to be a very good player, "maybe" an all star, but he is just a good player now with "potential". Kyrie is already a great player, an all star, at 25, still not reaching his prime. And yes, I would rather keep Kyrie, but not after his trade request and the obvious issues going on with him and his teammates last season.

no you don't, because we hated both moves, especially the noah signing
“Bye, Felicia.”
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#2027 » by John Murdoch » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:12 pm

Stillwater wrote:I posted this previously , but it was ignored so here it is again , and falls into the only scenario where I think all 3 teams might do it considering some of the things I mentioned in the previous post about NY inability to accept a tank :
Cavs get Miami 2018 from Suns ( Cavs keep it if it falls between 8-14,Suns keep it 15-30,Miami keeps it 1-7)if not transferred Cavs get Suns 2021 1st from Miami unprotected.
Cav's also get NY's 2018 Lottery protected until 2019 where it becomes unprotected.
NY gets Cavs 2019 second round draft pick from Minnesota or L.A. Lakers (less favorable)& Suns 2018 2nd round pick from Toronto.
Suns get 2020 top 10 protected from NY,unprotected in 2021.
Cav's get what they want in a vet pg and a blue chip rook.+ picks. But loses their all star guard & draft and stash Gem.
NY gets better with KI and Bender & Fry's contract is expiring,pawns Noah but gives up KP and two futures.
Phoenix gets better long term adding KP and Ntilikina & Osman for eating Noahs C & shipping JJ / Bender but retains their own 1st round picks & gets another to make up for the Miami pick they ship out.
Not that unrealistic from any teams perspective depending on the value held by each org on player movement.https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6935555

Phx slightly overpays here imo , but hey with the Paul George trade anything is possible
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#2028 » by Sark » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:48 pm

Knicks are not taking calls on KP, so it's pointless to keep including him in any trade scenario.

Knicks would probably listen to Melo + WHG for Kyrie + Love.
LuDux1
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,042

Post#2029 » by LuDux1 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:33 am

Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,549

Post#2030 » by Alatan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:34 am

Sark wrote:

Lol, they can add Lebron in as a sweetener.
Asian Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,615

Post#2031 » by Asian Celtic » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:49 am

Alatan wrote:
Sark wrote:

Not enough, Should add Cleveland's 2020 1st round pick unprotected. 8-)
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,091

Post#2032 » by axeman23 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:59 am

infinite11285 wrote:Lol would Noah even report to Cle?

It'd make great viewing, just from that angle alone... :lol:
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,091

Post#2033 » by axeman23 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:56 am

Sark wrote:Knicks are not taking calls on KP, so it's pointless to keep including him in any trade scenario.

And I'd probably listen to the offer of a Mila Kunis/Scarlett Johansson sandwich, but I'm not sure either offer is coming... :lol:
Sark
RealGM

Post#2034 » by Sark » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:56 am

Asian Celtic wrote:
Alatan wrote:
Sark wrote:

Knicks are listening. Keep going. What else can you add?
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,369

Post#2035 » by baldur » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:36 am

Sark wrote:
Asian Celtic wrote:
Alatan wrote:Lol, they can add Lebron in as a sweetener.

Key of the city of Cleveland?
Sark
RealGM

Post#2036 » by Sark » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:54 am

baldur wrote:
Sark wrote:
Asian Celtic wrote:

Key of the city of Cleveland?

I'd rather have another pick :lol:
XPeak
Sophomore
And1: 160

Post#2037 » by XPeak » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:05 am

Denver has come into play.

What package could they assemble for Kalye Irving?

Murray, Chandler, + ???
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#2038 » by NBAFan93 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:54 pm

LuDux1 wrote:

This is hilarious! They were playing on Sirius this morning - came to post it, but, as always, someone beat me too it :).
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,549

Post#2039 » by Alatan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:27 pm

XPeak wrote:Denver has come into play.

What package could they assemble for Kalye Irving?

Murray, Chandler, + ???

As good as KI is I dont want him in Denver. He would kill the chemistry with ISO ball, see how i am great, heroics. I think Murray has the posibillity to be a 20 ppg scorer in a few of years and a 15 ppg scorer next season so they are fine at the pg spot.
LookToShoot
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#2040 » by LookToShoot » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:25 pm

TheBobster wrote:

This is really nothing new for the Knicks. They have been interested in name players, coaches and front office personnel no matter how they fit in for years - Walt Bellamy, Earl Monroe, Wilt Chamberlain, Bob McAdoo, Spencer Haywood, George McGinnis, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, David Thompson, Marvin Webster, Paul Westphal, John Paxson, Bernard King, Larry Johnson, Stephon Marbury, Amare Stoudemire, LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Pat Riley, Red Auerbach, Larry Brown, Don Nelson, Lenny Wilkens, Phil Jackson, Isiah Thomas. Some have worked out, many haven't and many deals fell through.

It's just the nature of the beast. Playing in New York the Knicks have almost always felt the need to have marquee names, even if they were over-paid.

The Knicks have also gambled on unproven players: Jamal Crawford, Jerome James, Zach Randolph. Those guys didn't do much.

Other than trading a young Trevor Ariza for a washed up Steve Francis, I don't see the issue of going after star players. The Lakers have done the same thing.

Return to The General Board