Advanced Stats Knowledge Pooling

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Do You Rely On Advanced Stats?

Yes, too much!
7%
Yes, but in context.
77%
No, I hate math!
3%
No, you geek!
7%
Fad much?!
2%
What's YOUR PER?! :-D
4%

Total votes: 150

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,534

Re: Advanced Stats Knowledge Pooling 

Post#241 » by dhsilv2 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:42 am

Pennebaker wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:
Like I said, it won't initially because it's new and his teammates aren't used to it. But it should eventually providing that Harden remains persistent. This will probably take 2 or 3 seasons.

It's not an on and off switch. It's a gradual evolution of a team. Over time, should Harden keep valuing his job as a defensive quarterback, we will see the advanced stat numbers start to move in his favor.

My point is that there isn't any advanced stat that appreciates the very moment James Harden decided to dedicate himself to being a defensive leader regardless of the actions of his teammates. We just don't have that level of sophistication yet.

What value is there in knowing that a player is talking more? If he puts more effort and moves more, we have player tracking data that will show more movement on defense. If he's just talking, no we won't have that, but to your point if it doesn't impact the game, it doens't matter in the first place.

dhsilv2 wrote:What value is there in knowing that a player is talking more?

That means he's starting to value the bigger picture. I.e. winning is not just about what can be seen or appreciated immediately by fans or audiences. Winning happens on the floor where you have to start doing things that you assume won't ever be recognized. So to me the game where Harden decided to start yelping on defense was a pivotal point in his career. That's where he started to become better.

A player who lacks flexibility taking on yoga might improve their career. Until the yoga adds value on the court stats shouldn't recognize it. The same here. Stats shouldn't show a player is trying, they should show a player succeeded. At least that is my view at this point. If it doesn't impact the game, we want to keep that noise out.

Return to The General Board