Are there any centers today who wouldn't get beaten into submission by Ben Wallace?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,806

Re: Are there any centers today who wouldn't get beaten into submission by Ben Wallace? 

Post#61 » by og15 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:43 am

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:Maybe its because I'm a Heat fan and everytime we ever faced the Pistons, we had 2 centers better than him, but I was never that impressed by Ben Wallace. He's like Alonzo Mourning, with a little bit more athleticism, but suck away almost all his offensive game, and take away a bit of size.

The poster who said he could become like Draymond Green in today's game must be on crack or something, or never actually watched Ben Wallace play, he was one of the least offensively skilled big men of all-time, literally his only value on offense was putbacks and screens, he wasn't even a great lob catcher for a guy with his athleticism.

Didn't really have good hands for finishing

Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Re: Are there any centers today who wouldn't get beaten into submission by Ben Wallace? 

Post#62 » by Takingbaconback » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:50 am

KAT would win the matchup. He is the one of the most physical center in the league, and if he were playing with the rules back then, he would take it up a notch. Very strong with the ball and he's one of few centers who bangs around in the paint, his ability to truly handle the ball would give Big Ben big problems. He is much taller and longer than Wallace also, just as athletic. Wallace wouldn't be able to bully him around and beat him up because KAT would punish him every time Wallace wasn't balanced and wasn't playing him straight up.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Post#63 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:23 am

Kelly Olynyk would just run away.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
1eyedjake
General Manager
And1: 24

Post#64 » by 1eyedjake » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:54 am

BDM22 wrote:
1eyedjake wrote:Love Big Ben but it's unlikely he'd be able to stay on the floor for a championship team now, at least being as big a part as he was for Detroit.

Nonsense. A prime Ben Wallace's versatility defensively and ability to make game changing plays on that end is unmatched by a longshot in today's NBA. Add him to the Cavs, and they actually have a shot against the Warriors.

He'd be run through pick and rolls all game, like Tristan Thompson, and sagged off of on offense. He'd still be good, but not nearly as effective, IMO.
I grew up a big fan great big men and of defense in general but the game is so different now that it's spread out and anyone who is a poor shooter is such a liability. I know they are not the same, but look at how Hibbert and Howard have been marginalised. Look at how Andre Drummond is able to be exposed.
Hindenburg
Head Coach
And1: 13,854

Post#65 » by Hindenburg » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:07 am

Kevin Durant at center would make Wallace look silly. Wallace was very bad on offense anyways so Durant won't be giving up much on the other end.
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,404

Post#66 » by MalonesElbows » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:19 am

This might be a sore article for Bulls fans :)
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 3,987

Post#67 » by vxmike » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:57 am

RSP83 wrote:Ben Wallace had an excellent career, certainly deserve all the accolades he's getting.

But you may be overrating him a little bit when comparing him to today's bigs. The game is played differently today, he's going to have to step out to guard the stretch 4s and the stretch 5s. Ben does have the necessary athleticism and lateral mobility to guard quicker bigs like a KAT or even AD, but I wonder if he's going to be as impactful defensively as he was in that era.

This. There aren't many post guys that need guarding.

Rodman would be the ultimate defensive player today just like he was in his time. He is the only player in NBA history that could both bang with Shaq and also check PGs. He would Draymond look like an amateur on D today plus grab 18rpg.

Phil Jackson said Rodman was the greatest athlete he ever coached. The guy who coached MJ, Pippen, Shaq and Kobe said that. For real. Rodman was also 34 y/o when he joined the Bulls.
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#68 » by Agenda42 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:33 am

CoreyVillains wrote:Ben would be more than capable of defending Draymond in space. Ben had great lateral quickness, great hands, quick feet, length. I think he would be perfect in slowing Draymond down. Offensively he would do nothing but defensively I cant think of a big he couldnt handle.

I don't mean that Draymond is a threat to go around Ben and score or anything like that. I mean that Draymond is going to pull Ben away from where he wants to be on defense. He's a style of big that basically didn't exist when Ben played. Ben won't be his usual self defensively if Draymond is playing C against him.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#69 » by LakerLegend » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:36 am

Ben didn't strike me as a particularly great man defender, more so a great team defender.

Declining, fat Shaq shot 60% against him in the Finals.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#70 » by The_Hater » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:41 am

Lakerfan17 wrote:Ben didn't strike me as a particularly great man defender, more so a great team defender.

You're not talking about the 2004 finals are you? A point of time when 31 year old Shaq was the best player in the NBA?
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
AndriPerdhian93
Pro Prospect
And1: 249

Post#71 » by AndriPerdhian93 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:01 pm

Jokic, nurkic, towns , cousins and the hell davis can just 3 point him to short to block them .
What
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#72 » by The Rebel » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:28 pm

Impuniti wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Big Ben was a bad dude but I think you're underselling some of the centers you have posted...namely Towns, Jokic, Embiid if healthy) and Cousins.

There's also Gobert.

Jokic and Towns are soft and mediocre defenders, they would get wrecked by Big Ben.

The guy who grew up amid a war and has 2 older brothers that played college and professional basketball with 1 of them being an MMA fighter and trainer is soft? Jokic plays a finesse game, but he does just fine when the game gets physical.

Ben would be destroyed by Jokic's passing, there would be nothing he could do to protect the paint and guard Jokic at the same time as Jokic's pin point passing leads to wide open dunks and 3 point shots, and even when the defense recovers that leaves another man open. If Ben tries to sag off Jokic he is one of the best midrange and long 2 shooters in the league so Jokic would just score.
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,894

Post#73 » by RSP83 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:19 pm

vxmike wrote:
RSP83 wrote:Ben Wallace had an excellent career, certainly deserve all the accolades he's getting.

But you may be overrating him a little bit when comparing him to today's bigs. The game is played differently today, he's going to have to step out to guard the stretch 4s and the stretch 5s. Ben does have the necessary athleticism and lateral mobility to guard quicker bigs like a KAT or even AD, but I wonder if he's going to be as impactful defensively as he was in that era.

This. There aren't many post guys that need guarding.

Rodman would be the ultimate defensive player today just like he was in his time. He is the only player in NBA history that could both bang with Shaq and also check PGs. He would Draymond look like an amateur on D today plus grab 18rpg.

Phil Jackson said Rodman was the greatest athlete he ever coached. The guy who coached MJ, Pippen, Shaq and Kobe said that. For real. Rodman was also 34 y/o when he joined the Bulls.

I can't agree more. He's probably one of the few whose talent would translate seamlessly across all eras.
afarmenian
Analyst
And1: 3,504

Post#74 » by afarmenian » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:36 pm

So far I have learned in this thread that Wallace, who won back to back DPOY, probably a top 10 defender of all time in his prime would get simply destroyed by every young big in the league today and 31 year old pre miami shaq was old fat and ready to retire. Also there where no bigs like KG that could shoot back then so he would get killed from the outside. Good to know these things.
afarmenian
Analyst
And1: 3,504

Post#75 » by afarmenian » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:42 pm

Agenda42 wrote:
CoreyVillains wrote:Ben would be more than capable of defending Draymond in space. Ben had great lateral quickness, great hands, quick feet, length. I think he would be perfect in slowing Draymond down. Offensively he would do nothing but defensively I cant think of a big he couldnt handle.

I don't mean that Draymond is a threat to go around Ben and score or anything like that. I mean that Draymond is going to pull Ben away from where he wants to be on defense. He's a style of big that basically didn't exist when Ben played. Ben won't be his usual self defensively if Draymond is playing C against him.

That holds true of anybody that guards Draymond so what does it matter in the context of how great a defender he is?
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#76 » by Agenda42 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:11 pm

afarmenian wrote:That holds true of anybody that guards Draymond so what does it matter in the context of how great a defender he is?

Not everyone who guards Draymond is getting pulled out of their comfort zone. Scottie Pippen would love defending Draymond, for example.

Ben would find himself somewhat out of place in the modern NBA. He can guard any big, Draymond included, but what made him a special player is help defense in the paint and elite low block rebounding. He'd have a hard time adjusting to the stretch 5 game and he's not good enough on offense to punish a team for going small against him.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#77 » by LakerLegend » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:54 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Lakerfan17 wrote:Ben didn't strike me as a particularly great man defender, more so a great team defender.

You're not talking about the 2004 finals are you? A point of time when 31 year old Shaq was the best player in the NBA?

Shaq was not the best in the NBA at that point. He started declining the previous year and it became noticeable in 2004.

His lack of discipline with conditioning had become really evident and he had started losing mobility and explosiveness. You see him miss a lot of the "chippies" which used to be his bread and butter.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#78 » by The_Hater » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Lakerfan17 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Shaq was not the best in the NBA at that point. He started declining the previous year and it became noticeable in 2004.

His lack of discipline with conditioning had become really evident and he had started losing mobility and explosiveness. You see him miss a lot of the "chippies" which used to be his bread and butter.

OK. For sake of argument let's say Shaq was only the 5th best player in the league. He was still an unstoppable offensive force so I'm not sure why his success against him reflects badly on Wallace
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 23,981

Post#79 » by cupcakesnake » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:05 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:I'm not seeing it. I don't recall him spending time guarding people out to the 3 point line in his day. He was mobile and should be fine doing that, but his strength was on the glass and inside.

early 2000s Pistons was my favourite team and I watched 90% of their games. Big Ben was absolutely quick enough to shut down the perimeter. Everytime he had to switch a pick & roll you felt excited as a Pistons fan because you knew the opposing guard was in for it. It just wasn't celebrated as much back then. 2011 Dallas Mavericks with Tyson Chandler really popularized the pick & roll defending big to the media and fans. Ben was the NBA's best rebounder and rim protector, which were the celebrated defensive metrics of his time, but I think he was way quicker than Draymond Green and 5x as explosive. I've often thought watching Draymond is like watching Ben if Ben wasn't that athletic but had good hands and could shoot.

Well, I said he'd be fine doing it. So I don't think we disagree that much, but remember it is harder to guard the ball now. It would be harder for him now than then and he'd be doing it a LOT more.

I honestly think he'd be even more celebrated defensively in today's game. No one talked about his quicks and his ability to move laterally and get his hands on balls. That being said... his offensive limitations would be even more problematic nowadays so overall he's probably lucky to have played in an era where teams were ok playing multiple non-shooters in lineups.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,213

Post#80 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:34 pm

jamaalstar21 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:
early 2000s Pistons was my favourite team and I watched 90% of their games. Big Ben was absolutely quick enough to shut down the perimeter. Everytime he had to switch a pick & roll you felt excited as a Pistons fan because you knew the opposing guard was in for it. It just wasn't celebrated as much back then. 2011 Dallas Mavericks with Tyson Chandler really popularized the pick & roll defending big to the media and fans. Ben was the NBA's best rebounder and rim protector, which were the celebrated defensive metrics of his time, but I think he was way quicker than Draymond Green and 5x as explosive. I've often thought watching Draymond is like watching Ben if Ben wasn't that athletic but had good hands and could shoot.

Well, I said he'd be fine doing it. So I don't think we disagree that much, but remember it is harder to guard the ball now. It would be harder for him now than then and he'd be doing it a LOT more.

I honestly think he'd be even more celebrated defensively in today's game. No one talked about his quicks and his ability to move laterally and get his hands on balls. That being said... his offensive limitations would be even more problematic nowadays so overall he's probably lucky to have played in an era where teams were ok playing multiple non-shooters in lineups.

I'm not sure anyone outside of Russell and Mutombo were more well thought of as defenders ever. Honestly Wallace was greatly overrated in his era, not because he wasn't great but nobody was ever THAT great.

Return to The General Board