Why did Magic Johnson call Russell Westbrook the Worst PG In Finals History back in 2012??

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Side beard
Analyst
And1: 2,298

Re: Why did Magic Johnson call Russell Westbrook the Worst PG In Finals History back in 2012?? 

Post#21 » by Side beard » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:47 am

Because Russ was pretty bad point guard back in 2012.
rebirthoftheM
Sixth Man
And1: 1,847

Re: Why did Magic Johnson call Russell Westbrook the Worst PG In Finals History back in 2012?? 

Post#22 » by rebirthoftheM » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:28 pm

OdomFan wrote:man some of yall act like these guys are suppose to be perfect just because they were great players. Being wrong about one thing suddenly makes them wrong about everything.

True, but all of us laker fans know that Magic's commentary over the years has been basic as hell. His flip-flopping at times was unbearable. I recognize in his mind, he understands far more than he gives off, but he does say a lot of stuff that make people scratch their heads.
-G-
Analyst
And1: 2,122

Post#23 » by -G- » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:23 pm

OdomFan wrote:man some of yall act like these guys are suppose to be perfect just because they were great players. Being wrong about one thing suddenly makes them wrong about everything.

I don't expect him to be perfect, my problem is the only reason he has the current job is because he was a great player (and got in with Jeannie). How is he qualified to be the President of Basketball Operations?
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,451

Post#24 » by Slim Charlez » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:26 pm

He was terrible in a couple of games to be fair to Magic
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,776

Post#25 » by NZB2323 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:50 pm

It's funny that Magic criticizes Russel for taking too many shots and being inefficient but he has nothing but praise for Kobe Bryant.

2012 Russel Westbrook in the Finals: .500 TS% , 27 points per game, 6 assists per game, 6.4 rebounds per game, 2.2 turnovers per game.

2004 Kobe Bryant in the Finals: .456 TS%, 22.6 Points per game, 4.4 assists per game, 2.8 rebounds per game, 3.6 turnovers per game.
SerialChiller
Head Coach
And1: 11,021

Post#26 » by SerialChiller » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:54 pm

Because he's not smart when it comes to these things. He said so many cringe worthy things it's insane.
Jiminy Glick
Assistant Coach
And1: 726

Post#27 » by Jiminy Glick » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:01 pm

It was because he lacked the ability to get others involved. He was very aggressive in terms of trying to score. I remember those OKC days, it was drama trying to figure out how to get Westbrook, Harden, Durant, and Ibaka all involved.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,329

Post#28 » by Patches Perry » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:03 pm

NZB2323 wrote:It's funny that Magic criticizes Russel for taking too many shots and being inefficient but he has nothing but praise for Kobe Bryant.

2012 Russel Westbrook in the Finals: .500 TS% , 27 points per game, 6 assists per game, 6.4 rebounds per game, 2.2 turnovers per game.

2004 Kobe Bryant in the Finals: .456 TS%, 22.6 Points per game, 4.4 assists per game, 2.8 rebounds per game, 3.6 turnovers per game.

Damn. This thread just went from maybe 3-4 pages to 18 pages with this one comment. Firing shots at Kobe is damn near blasphemous around these parts - percentages and facts be damned.

Great point by the way.
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#29 » by MPM » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:03 pm

Prez wrote:Magic says a lot of stupid stuff.

Read on Twitter

To be fair, Magic may have been talking about MCW's future potential for driving drunk and spousal abuse, rather than his point guard prowess.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,899

Post#30 » by Woodsanity » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:05 pm

Magic is very prone to overreactions and usually doesn't do his homework lol.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,329

Post#31 » by Patches Perry » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:07 pm

Another former player with an opinion that gets overvalued because he played. Former players aren't exempt from terrible views and their views aren't inherently more accurate because they used to play. We all watch the same game.

That said - THE DUNK CONTEST IS BACK!
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,285

Post#32 » by Jedi32 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:17 pm

NZB2323 wrote:It's funny that Magic criticizes Russel for taking too many shots and being inefficient but he has nothing but praise for Kobe Bryant.

Lol the only way this makes sense is if magic praised kobe for his 2004 finals. I don't remember him doing that.
Devils Advocate
Rookie
And1: 360

Post#33 » by Devils Advocate » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:38 pm

Woodsanity wrote:Magic is very prone to overreactions and usually doesn't do his homework lol.

Funny you said he doesn't do his homework lol. My firend was in a staff meeting with Magic and Rob Pelinka pre-draft and he said Magic told them he just started taking notes while he was watching March Madness. He kept stressing how much work he is doing now that he is the head of operations or what ever his title is, but all he was doing was looking up stats on current players and watching march madness.

He also said all Pelinka did was talk about how the Lakers are a global brand and told them about things Kobe told him on the phone the last couple times they talked, but nothing about GM'ing. For those that don't know Pelinka only has his job because Magic and Jeannie Buss offered it to Kobe and he said he didn't want to do it. He told them to hire Pelinka.

FYI for the Laker fans, I hear a lot about what is going on with the team internally (that sometimes differs greatly from whats officially reported) so I can post more about it when i get updates if you guys are interested.
d00lttle
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,349

Post#34 » by d00lttle » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:53 pm

If you add the caveat "that is also the best (or 1b) player on his team", then maybe you could make that argument at the time?
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Re: RE: Re: Why did Magic Johnson call Russell Westbrook the Worst PG In Finals History back in 2012?? 

Post#35 » by Clay Davis » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:55 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:
Woodsanity wrote:Magic is very prone to overreactions and usually doesn't do his homework lol.

Funny you said he doesn't do his homework lol. My firend was in a staff meeting with Magic and Rob Pelinka pre-draft and he said Magic told them he just started taking notes while he was watching March Madness. He kept stressing how much work he is doing now that he is the head of operations or what ever his title is, but all he was doing was looking up stats on current players and watching march madness.

He also said all Pelinka did was talk about how the Lakers are a global brand and told them about things Kobe told him on the phone the last couple times they talked, but nothing about GM'ing. For those that don't know Pelinka only has his job because Magic and Jeannie Buss offered it to Kobe and he said he didn't want to do it. He told them to hire Pelinka.

FYI for the Laker fans, I hear a lot about what is going on with the team internally (that sometimes differs greatly from whats officially reported) so I can post more about it when i get updates if you guys are interested.

You're going to risk giving away your friend and souring his name for some And 1s?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using RealGM mobile app
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,899

Post#36 » by Woodsanity » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:05 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:

Well now that he has such an important role he should be doing some research. I know before as an "analyst" he definitely didn't.
Being a super amazing nba player does not mean that your opinion is right, loads of great nba players don't make good gms or coaches for a reason.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
Egg Nog
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,373

Post#37 » by Egg Nog » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:05 pm

Let's not pretend like Westbrook didn't hero-ball them out of that series.

The guy was a thrill to watch but his overconfidence was detrimental to the team in a big way.

That being said, Magic was obviously exaggerating to make a point.
Devils Advocate
Rookie
And1: 360

Re: RE: Re: Why did Magic Johnson call Russell Westbrook the Worst PG In Finals History back in 2012?? 

Post#38 » by Devils Advocate » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:06 pm

Clay Davis wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:

You're going to risk giving away your friend and souring his name for some And 1s?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using RealGM mobile app

No, that stuff was from a room with the entire staff. Then there is stuff that is told to him from a high level exec that I would never post about. I have given tid bits before about the organization but never anything major. I also don't care about and 1's and barely post on here despite reading every day. But if someone had inside info on my Clippers I'd like to hear it, so I posed the question to Laker fans. Also thank you for the concern for my friend
1993Playoffs
Analyst
And1: 3,522

Post#39 » by 1993Playoffs » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:16 pm

Im gonna have to re-watch the series...I know had a amazing game in the closeout game tho
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,233

Post#40 » by Impuniti » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:27 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
fileman3 wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Well, he's grown quite a bit in 5 years. Which is why he got the MVP last year.

He literally plays the exact same now

This is why I generally avoid the general board. That's a tragically ignorant statement.

Not really ignorant statements. Bad shooting % and dumb decisions go as far as his last playoff series where the Rockets beat OKC 4-1. We don't have to even go to 2016. This is the same guy that is not a good 3 point shooter that shot 1 in the only win only to follow up with a record 18 3PA in the next game that they lose because reasons.

This was last year.

Return to The General Board