Toughest Market for FO?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Toughest Market for FO

1-Memphis
8%
2-Atlanta
8%
3-Minny
9%
4-New Orleans
8%
5-Charlotte
3%
6-Milwaukee
16%
7-Indiana
6%
8-OKC
13%
9-Cleveland
14%
10-Sacramento
16%

Total votes: 120

Pure_Basketball
Head Coach
And1: 6,375

Re: Toughest Market for FO? 

Post#61 » by Pure_Basketball » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:01 am

Who's going to join Indiana now that Paul George is gone, going to be a ghost town to free agents.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,790

Post#62 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:22 am

jbent87 wrote:they're on this list for a reason. No free agents are going to Minneapolis, MN. You ask the common NBA player what they know about MN and they'll tell you it's cold. If that's the first thing players are saying you're gonna end up on this list. Regardless of how nice and how much there is to do in the city.

Look ...OP didn't even remember to include Toronto in his list. That's how little respect it gets. And it's cold. Not to mention the franchise has to collect money in Canadian dollars and pay it in US dollars, and has no control over the fluctuation. This is a slam dunk what market is the toughest, but I would also say its born out of perception, not reality. At least euro/african borm players don't worry about playing in a different country.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#63 » by Tha King » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:50 am

Never understood why Atlanta hasn't been a bigger draw. It's a relatively large market, has good weather, and it's a pretty live city. Matter fact, a lot of NFL and NBA guys live/stay there during the off-season.

I know fan support isn't the greatest but the same could be said for Miami, Houston, etc.
GermanFan120
Analyst
And1: 1,088

Post#64 » by GermanFan120 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:57 pm

SalamiNCheez wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:Toronto is a big and beautiful city, but it's in Canada. When was the last time ever Toronto signed a big FA???

DeRozan, Lowry, Ibaka. Those guys easily could have left.

What team is going to pay them equal or more? I don't think there are many, they will have to earn less to play elsewhere.
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
Antinomy
Head Coach
And1: 7,617

Post#65 » by Antinomy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:07 pm

Atlanta. Some of these teams actually have some semblance of a fan base.

I took a glance at a few Hawks playoff games & there was barely anyone in the arena. They have no support even when they manage to put together a decent team. I sure wouldn't wanna go there.
jbent87
Veteran
And1: 1,202

Post#66 » by jbent87 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:09 pm

Tha King wrote:Never understood why Atlanta hasn't been a bigger draw. It's a relatively large market, has good weather, and it's a pretty live city. Matter fact, a lot of NFL and NBA guys live/stay there during the off-season.

I know fan support isn't the greatest but the same could be said for Miami, Houston, etc.

from what I understand ATL is a "transplant" city. A lot of ppl live there but nobody is actually from there. If that's true at all that probably finds its way to effect the fanbase as well which somehow makes its way back to the team which somehow, effects FAs. No idea.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#67 » by kg01 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:12 pm

Antinomy wrote:Atlanta. Some of these teams actually have some semblance of a fan base.

I took a glance at a few Hawks playoff games & there was barely anyone in the arena. They have no support even when they manage to put together a decent team. I sure wouldn't wanna go there.

Stahhp this lazy, national narrative. Look deeper than what BSPN tells you.
king01 :king:
kg01
General Manager

Post#68 » by kg01 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:13 pm

Tha King wrote:Never understood why Atlanta hasn't been a bigger draw. It's a relatively large market, has good weather, and it's a pretty live city. Matter fact, a lot of NFL and NBA guys live/stay there during the off-season.

The answer has been bad (cl)ownership. It's why free agents will commit to live here but not play for the team. We hope this starts to change now that we have new owners.
predators
Senior
And1: 319

Post#69 » by predators » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:36 pm

I'd say being the FO for Knicks is the toughest job. Everyone in NYC think they are going to sign the biggest free agents, but none of the top tier (Lebron, Durant, etc.) free agents ever really give them a look. Then they overspend for 2nd tier free agents and wonder why their team underachieves every year despite always having a really high payroll. The expectations are too high for the reality of the situation. I honestly think you could give the Knicks the consensus best FO in the league and they would be gone in 3 years in due to unrealistic expectations.
PizzaSteve
Veteran
And1: 1,837

Post#70 » by PizzaSteve » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:43 pm

I voted Sac. 3rd Banana in CA. Suburban life. Coaching turnstile. Some benefits from stadium, fan support and ease of SWA flights to LA, Tahoe/Reno or Vegas
Antinomy
Head Coach

Post#71 » by Antinomy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:45 pm

kg01 wrote:
Antinomy wrote:Atlanta. Some of these teams actually have some semblance of a fan base.

"Narrative"? :lol:

Watch their home playoff games against Washington from this year. The crowd looked pitiful. You'd think it was a preseason game for how empty that place looked.

Even previous years it was the same way. Besides maybe 2015 when they reaaaaally thought they had a chance at the finals.
kg01
General Manager

Post#72 » by kg01 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:54 pm

Antinomy wrote:
kg01 wrote:

Watch their home playoff games against Washington from this year. The crowd looked pitiful. You'd think it was a preseason game for how empty that place looked.

Even previous years it was the same way. Besides maybe 2015 when they reaaaaally thought they had a chance at the finals.

You're wrong but, you've bought in to the narrative, so you don't really care to be right. Not much need in continuing the conversation.
Antinomy
Head Coach

Post#73 » by Antinomy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:58 pm

kg01 wrote:
Antinomy wrote:
kg01 wrote:

You're wrong but, you've bought in to the narrative, so you don't really care to be right. Not much need in continuing the conversation.

Dude I have no idea what you're talking about. That tin-foil hat you have on must be so tight that you can't see correctly.

Edit: Hawks have been in the bottom half for attendance every single year for the last 10 years. They were in the bottom 5 for three out of the past five years.

Yeah. Not even debatable.
Perishable517
Analyst
And1: 1,944

Post#74 » by Perishable517 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:13 pm

BDM22 wrote:
RoyceDa59 wrote:If I were an NBA player, these are the cities I'd least like to play in:

Cleveland
Milwaukee
Portland
Minnesota
Detroit
Orlando

Based on nothing other than the city itself.

I'm not from there, but... Portland? That would probably vie for the top spot with LA / SF for me.

The others I get.

It's sad as all are perfectly good cities. I have been to Minneapolis and live in Milwaukee. Minneapolis was fun and I love Milwaukee and made it a point to move back here from DC (Another good city). Cities have their rep, deserved or not, but you really don't know a city until you live there, feel the vibe, etc.
" If you take away the alc l r g on Malcolm Brogdon is Mom Bod :("
- emunney

"I’d place the phone directly between my cheeks while I let one rip right in John Hammond’s ear."
- BroncoBuck
kg01
General Manager

Post#75 » by kg01 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:51 pm

Antinomy wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Antinomy wrote:

Dude I have no idea what you're talking about. That tin-foil hat you have on must be so tight that you can't see correctly.

Edit: Hawks have been in the bottom half for attendance every single year for the last 10 years. They were in the bottom 5 for three out of the past five years.

Yeah. Not even debatable.

What is it that you think you're responding to? Where did I say that attendance has been great?

You said you didn't understand why the franchise hasn't been a bigger draw. I'm telling you why. Most people simply listen to BSPN tell them that there are no Hawks fans. That's not true. There is a good fanbase who's basically been turned off by the way the franchise has been run.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#76 » by Tha King » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:58 pm

If fanbase strength mattered then Miami wouldn't draw in a single notable FA. Atlanta is arguably a top 5 NBA city for the athletes so it's definitely not a one of the worst markets.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#77 » by AingesBurner » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:15 pm

Salt Lake City and it would probably be a better FA destination if the dominant religion didn't run the state and local politics.
Ingles is cooked.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,963

Post#78 » by Optms » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:19 pm

Smaller markets can suck and go relatively undetected by its media and fans. Try pulling off what Hinkie did in Philly in LA. He wouldn't have made it past year two.

Bigger markets like New York, Chicago or LA; you will get crucified and everything you do will be under the light bulb. Accountability isn't held to the same standard as in small markets.

You will never be able to convince me its easier to run the Bucks then it is the Knicks.
binjumper
Starter
And1: 3,695

Post#79 » by binjumper » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:22 pm

GermanFan120 wrote:
SalamiNCheez wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:Toronto is a big and beautiful city, but it's in Canada. When was the last time ever Toronto signed a big FA???

DeRozan, Lowry, Ibaka. Those guys easily could have left.

What team is going to pay them equal or more? I don't think there are many, they will have to earn less to play elsewhere.

so you're basing it on a what if? The players themselves called it home and didn't even take interviews from other teams. Two are all-star players with all-nba nods as well. They aren't nobodies. The money was there for bosh as well but he left. VC forced his way out, but the ownership has changed and so has the culture and players are more aware of what it has to offer via social media/drake/other outlets. The fan base is one of the greatest in the league with great attendance numbers as well.
JunkYardDog6ix
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,378

Post#80 » by JunkYardDog6ix » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:24 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
jbent87 wrote:they're on this list for a reason. No free agents are going to Minneapolis, MN. You ask the common NBA player what they know about MN and they'll tell you it's cold. If that's the first thing players are saying you're gonna end up on this list. Regardless of how nice and how much there is to do in the city.

Look ...OP didn't even remember to include Toronto in his list. That's how little respect it gets. And it's cold. Not to mention the franchise has to collect money in Canadian dollars and pay it in US dollars, and has no control over the fluctuation. This is a slam dunk what market is the toughest, but I would also say its born out of perception, not reality. At least euro/african borm players don't worry about playing in a different country.

Wow I was so happy Toronto wasn't mentioned , thinking we finally moved past false narratives and here we have Toronto fan saying stuff like this.

First of all , The Raptors 100% hedge against fluctuations in currency , that's business 101. Also we've moved past the "It's cold " narrative , you might as well say New York is the toughest market because "it's cold". Over the past 5 years people like Drake , The Weeknd , the NBA all-star game in Toronto , Wiggins No.1 pick , the Blue Jays and Raptors success has eliminated any ignorance from American players about Toronto. You've got guys like Marcus Stroman and Aaron Sanchez who love the city and go to OVO fest every year. The Cavs went to Cabana pool bar last year , Drake parties with LeBron in Toronto , you've got NBA players like Andrew Wiggins and T Thompson from Toronto... at this point in time you can't possibly believe players don't know/like the city even if it is Canada.

Return to The General Board