Knicks, Rockets Resume Carmelo Anthony Trade Discussions

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Fico92
Sixth Man
And1: 2,361

Re: Knicks, Rockets Resume Carmelo Anthony Trade Discussions 

Post#41 » by Fico92 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:05 pm

LeBron_da_Don wrote:
SerialChiller wrote:I do find it pretty funny that Melo forced his way to NY and now NY is trying to force him back out lol.

He isn't forcing his way out. Inf fact, it's almost the exact opposite. They all but forced him out. He's just leveraging the power that they gave him when they included a NTC in his contract. I'd do the exact same thing.

Thats what he originally said.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,116

Post#42 » by og15 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:09 pm

SerialChiller wrote:
LarsV8 wrote:
SerialChiller wrote:
They really should just tell him he's riding the pine all season if he stays to create some.

Except they can't really.

Ya you're probably right. It would cause problems. But a team should be able to make any player a DNP Coach's Decision at their own discretion. But I'm sure the league would step in. I just don't like how players have so much power these days...they are just team employees after all (ridiculously paid ones at that) and he'd still be getting his money. So they should be able to technically imo. The Knicks were dumb enough to give him the rare no trade clause, but honestly they should be able to play him as much or as little as they like and if he don't like it then he should open up their options to trade him or agree to a buyout.
They aren't just regular employees like any other though, they are also the product, and are the team itself, so it is quite reasonable and understandable that they would have more power than a normal employee.

Also don't see why Carmelo should be punished. Has he been somewhat difficult too? I suppose, but he was not the instigator, and like you said, they gave him the no trade, which essentially is giving him the right to be difficult about whether he moves or not. Not only that, it was Phil who was treating him as unwanted, reduced his trade value, and instead of working with him, made it an antagonistic relationship. If Phil had done it right, "hey, we want to rebuild and we won't be able to put a competitive team around you, so tell us some teams you would like to go to and let's see if we can work something out", they would have traded him by the deadline last season.

That's much different from bad mouthing a guy, then trying to force him out. So while Phil is gone and I feel for the fans, that's no sympathy for the Knicks organization here.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#43 » by MGB8 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:05 pm

Melo has no value to the Knicks, and the rest of the league knows it.

He doesn't really bring in fans any more, doesn't really help winning, and is definitely not part of the future. He's going to walk (or retire) when his contract is up.

So he's worth a touch more than Ryan Anderson - it really is only a touch more.

I don't think the issue is with moving Anderson, either. Yeah, he's overpaid for two more seasons at around 20M per, but he's also reasonably productive. Basically he's a net neutral player.

So, to me, the issue is with New York wanting "a return" on Melo - which isn't going to happen - no team is going to give any meaningful positive return for him.

At the same time, Portland could use a guy like Ryan Anderson at the right price - meaning not too high. OKC could, too. So I could see two 3way trades:

(1) Melo to HOU - Anderson to Portland and salary to New York - Harkless, Davis, Vonleh (or Leonard and a very protected pick instead of Davis and Vonleh) to the Knicks; or

(2) Melo to HOU - Anderson to OKC and salary to New York - Kanter + McDermott to NY.

None of which would be hugely appetizing to the Knicks, but if I were them I'd probably do the Portland trade - get a young player in Harkless and some salary savings.
ZombieKilla
Rookie
And1: 1,085

Post#44 » by ZombieKilla » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:45 pm

People keep knocking Anderson but if a straight up Melo for Anderson deal went through:

Anderson would probably be the second best player on the Knicks, behind Porzingis...

...and there would be two contracts a lot worse than his, Noah and Hardaway.

Personally, I don't think a trade ever happens and NY ends up buying out Melo and he signs with the Rockets.
Wigginstime
Sixth Man
And1: 2,476

Post#45 » by Wigginstime » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:45 pm

SerialChiller wrote:
LarsV8 wrote:
SerialChiller wrote:
They really should just tell him he's riding the pine all season if he stays to create some.

Ya you're probably right. It would cause problems. But a team should be able to make any player a DNP Coach's Decision at their own discretion. But I'm sure the league would step in. I just don't like how players have so much power these days...they are just team employees after all (ridiculously paid ones at that) and he'd still be getting his money. So they should be able to technically imo. The Knicks were dumb enough to give him the rare no trade clause, but honestly they should be able to play him as much or as little as they like and if he don't like it then he should open up their options to trade him or agree to a buyout.

I think what scares NY most is that Melo might be willing to accept this. Melo has always been all about the money and the NY life style and would happily collect the $54M NY owes him on the sidelines.

We are use to athletes who are obsessively competitive and willing to do what ever it takes to win from taking pay cuts to forming their own super teams. Melo seems to be more like an average worker type of person with the attitude "I don't live to work I work to live".

If both Melo and NY refuse to budge Melo will still get his $54M over the next two years while getting to live his NY lifestyle. NY however sets their franchise back 2 years and probably alienates KP.

No one expects NY to take back negative value for Melo but at this point they need to be prepared to take back neutral value. The opportunity to try and get multiple picks / young talent appears to be gone.
SerialChiller
Head Coach
And1: 11,021

Post#46 » by SerialChiller » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:02 pm

Wigginstime wrote:
SerialChiller wrote:
LarsV8 wrote:

I think what scares NY most is that Melo might be willing to accept this. Melo has always been all about the money and the NY life style and would happily collect the $54M NY owes him on the sidelines.

We are use to athletes who are obsessively competitive and willing to do what ever it takes to win from taking pay cuts to forming their own super teams. Melo seems to be more like an average worker type of person with the attitude "I don't live to work I work to live".

If both Melo and NY refuse to budge Melo will still get his $54M over the next two years while getting to live his NY lifestyle. NY however sets their franchise back 2 years and probably alienates KP.

No one expects NY to take back negative value for Melo but at this point they need to be prepared to take back neutral value. The opportunity to try and get multiple picks / young talent appears to be gone.

I agree that Melo has never appeared to care about being a winner. And the Knicks hurt his value which was already not that good with the way Phil handled the situation. I do think Melo would have a very hard time and be embarrassed by being benched for a season though. It'd have to hurt his pride and he can't be happy wasting one of the few last decent years he has left in his career. Maybe they should play him like 5 minutes a game just to kill his stats until he says ok get me out of here, anywhere but here lol. I'd love to see them take a stand, but it is their own stupidity at the end of the day that caused this situation.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,696

Post#47 » by Warriorfan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:54 pm

The market has been set with IMO better players Butler PG Cousins being traded. Melo can't fetch much
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,012

Post#48 » by vxmike » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:18 am

Jkam31 wrote:
vxmike wrote:
Jkam31 wrote:If the hold up is Anderson why in the hell is OKC not on the phone. Get Anderson send NYK Abrines, Ferguson and a couple 2nds. Anderson would get so many open looks with Russ/PG13 while playing with a bunch of good defenders and rebounders (Russ/PG13/Roberson/Adams)

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Yeah OKC is one of the few teams Anderson could hide on D and rebounding. OKC would need to dump Singler's bad deal too though plus take in a 1st. They're already in the tax though and I don't see them going even deeper to pay Anderson. He might fit but they're already paying one reserve big $17m to play crappy D off the bench.

They'd be trading Kanter to NYK whose contract is shorter than Anderson. As well as Abrines, Furgeuson, and 2 2nds to get NY to take Kanter over Anderson. They'd better do it cause PG13 isn't staying with that roster at least with Anderson they would make serious noise to cause him to stay

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I wouldn't trade Kanter plus picks to take on Anderson's longer deal. Patterson can shoot threes at an ok rate but actually defend competently. Anderson is a luxury they can't afford.

Return to The General Board