Knicks, Rockets Resume Carmelo Anthony Trade Discussions

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,085

Re: Knicks, Rockets Resume Carmelo Anthony Trade Discussions 

Post#21 » by og15 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:12 am

I had forgotten that this was still a thing
SerialChiller
Head Coach
And1: 10,993

Post#22 » by SerialChiller » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:24 am

LarsV8 wrote:
SerialChiller wrote:
LarsV8 wrote:New York realizing how little leverage they have.

They really should just tell him he's riding the pine all season if he stays to create some.

Except they can't really.

Ya you're probably right. It would cause problems. But a team should be able to make any player a DNP Coach's Decision at their own discretion. But I'm sure the league would step in. I just don't like how players have so much power these days...they are just team employees after all (ridiculously paid ones at that) and he'd still be getting his money. So they should be able to technically imo. The Knicks were dumb enough to give him the rare no trade clause, but honestly they should be able to play him as much or as little as they like and if he don't like it then he should open up their options to trade him or agree to a buyout.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#23 » by BallerTalk » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:30 am

BeatDaCavs420 wrote:Tired of hearing about this overrated chucker who doesn't play a ounce of defense

What did Westbrook do to you???

I kid, I kid :lol:
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
symbiotic
Sixth Man
And1: 705

Post#24 » by symbiotic » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:19 am

A story broke that trade talks has been resumed?

Now you know it's really NOT going to happen.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#25 » by Scalabrine » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:24 am

nike1 wrote:i feel like carmelo is the kim kardashian of the nba.

boo this man!!
Go Knicks!
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,009

Post#26 » by vxmike » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:37 am

gmoney411 wrote:
OptionZero wrote:Until someone is willing to take Anderson without demanding two first rounders, there's no change

That's a bit inaccurate. Anderson can be moved for less. But what comes back had to be something the Knicks want as well.

How so? What team is taking Anderson for one 1st without sending back an awful contract of its own?

Anderson has little value unless you can pair him with a defensive monster like Gobert or pre-injury D12.
FreeSpiritNY
Veteran
And1: 1,285

Post#27 » by FreeSpiritNY » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:45 am

SFrush wrote:My money is on him staying in NY.

I agree..

Clickbait and melo is a beech
gmoney411
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,821

Post#28 » by gmoney411 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:45 am

vxmike wrote:
gmoney411 wrote:
OptionZero wrote:Until someone is willing to take Anderson without demanding two first rounders, there's no change

That's a bit inaccurate. Anderson can be moved for less. But what comes back had to be something the Knicks want as well.

How so? What team is taking Anderson for one 1st without sending back an awful contract of its own?

Anderson has little value unless you can pair him with a defensive monster like Gobert or pre-injury D12.

Any team taking on Anderson is likely going to have to send out another big contract for matching purposes. With a first it's not guaranteed to be awful but might not be great.

Anderson has value on plenty of teams as a stretch 4. Most teams don't play big anymore. On a cheaper contract lots of teams would take him.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,187

Post#29 » by clyde21 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:49 am

Only good thing coming from this Melo saga is that this might keep teams from giving players, sans a LeBron James, a NTC in their contracts moving forward. I hope GMs league wide are learning from this circus.
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#30 » by Jkam31 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:57 am

If the hold up is Anderson why in the hell is OKC not on the phone. Get Anderson send NYK Abrines, Ferguson and a couple 2nds. Anderson would get so many open looks with Russ/PG13 while playing with a bunch of good defenders and rebounders (Russ/PG13/Roberson/Adams)

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,009

Post#31 » by vxmike » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:06 am

Jkam31 wrote:If the hold up is Anderson why in the hell is OKC not on the phone. Get Anderson send NYK Abrines, Ferguson and a couple 2nds. Anderson would get so many open looks with Russ/PG13 while playing with a bunch of good defenders and rebounders (Russ/PG13/Roberson/Adams)

Yeah OKC is one of the few teams Anderson could hide on D and rebounding. OKC would need to dump Singler's bad deal too though plus take in a 1st. They're already in the tax though and I don't see them going even deeper to pay Anderson. He might fit but they're already paying one reserve big $17m to play crappy D off the bench.
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#32 » by Jkam31 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:16 am

vxmike wrote:
Jkam31 wrote:If the hold up is Anderson why in the hell is OKC not on the phone. Get Anderson send NYK Abrines, Ferguson and a couple 2nds. Anderson would get so many open looks with Russ/PG13 while playing with a bunch of good defenders and rebounders (Russ/PG13/Roberson/Adams)

Yeah OKC is one of the few teams Anderson could hide on D and rebounding. OKC would need to dump Singler's bad deal too though plus take in a 1st. They're already in the tax though and I don't see them going even deeper to pay Anderson. He might fit but they're already paying one reserve big $17m to play crappy D off the bench.

They'd be trading Kanter to NYK whose contract is shorter than Anderson. As well as Abrines, Furgeuson, and 2 2nds to get NY to take Kanter over Anderson. They'd better do it cause PG13 isn't staying with that roster at least with Anderson they would make serious noise to cause him to stay

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
SerialChiller
Head Coach

Post#33 » by SerialChiller » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:29 am

I do find it pretty funny that Melo forced his way to NY and now NY is trying to force him back out lol.
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Post#34 » by Mich3006 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:41 am

SerialChiller wrote:I do find it pretty funny that Melo forced his way to NY and now NY is trying to force him back out lol.

I doubt the Knicks are still trying to "force" him out anymore, Phil Jackson´s gone.

Melo doesn´t have a bright future in NY but it looks like the Knicks won´t trade him for nothing (or big long-term deals, they already have way too much of them). If the Rockets can´t find a way to give them some value in return I doubt we´ll see a Melo/Rockets trade (I´d only take on Anderson if somebody takes on Noah).

Melo should accept way more teams IMO, Blazers and Pelicans for example. Aminu, Harkless, Davis and a lotto-protected 1st for Melo is a deal I´d do immediately.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#35 » by clyde21 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:41 am

OKC won't be able to take on Anderson without shipping out Kanter, who's just as unmoveable, if not more.
SerialChiller
Head Coach

Post#36 » by SerialChiller » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:46 am

Ayatollah wrote:
SerialChiller wrote:I do find it pretty funny that Melo forced his way to NY and now NY is trying to force him back out lol.

I doubt the Knicks are still trying to "force" him out anymore, Phil Jackson´s gone.

Melo doesn´t have a bright future in NY but it looks like the Knicks won´t trade him for nothing (or big long-term deals, they already have way too much of them). If the Rockets can´t find a way to give them some value in return I doubt we´ll see a Melo/Rockets trade (I´d only take on Anderson if somebody takes on Noah).

Melo should accept way more teams IMO, Blazers and Pelicans for example. Aminu, Harkless, Davis and a lotto-protected 1st for Melo is a deal I´d do immediately.

True they want to get something as good as possible for him...but there's no mistaking they don't want him around even post PJ but technically you can call in something other than a "force out" but they want him gone no doubt is what it boils down to.

And I agree...he's passing up some good opportunities for next year, and can opt out after that one season if it doesn't work out anyways. The Rocket's aren't the only good situation for him and maybe not even the best. Melo seems kinda stubborn when it comes to these things. That's why I'd like to see the Knicks say F you and sit him all season if they could get away with it lol. But in the end it is their fault for stupidly giving him a no trade clause when he isn't a player deserving of such a rare thing.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#37 » by clyde21 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:57 am

clyde21 wrote:

OKC won't be able to take on Anderson without shipping out Kanter, who's just as unmoveable, if not more.

This is what would need to happen:

This would give OKC the shooting, but are they willing to take on Anderson's contract for 3 years? Is New York willing to take back Kanter? Will Houston be willing to part ways with Ariza?
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#38 » by NBAfan3024 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:14 am

Still don't see how this actually works
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#39 » by red96 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:41 pm

Ayatollah wrote:

Why? Lets be honest, and look at it from his viewpoint. Those 2 are borderline play-off teams, who aren't great fits personnel wise. Who would you rather have/trust dishing you the ball, Paul/Harden or Lillard/Mccollum? The latter are ball dominate and can't even average 10 apg combined.
Where does Carmelo really fit on the Pelicans? He should be a 4 full-time at this point of his career, but he can't in New Orleans. And he'll be depending on "glassman" Jrue to split the dimes between Davis, Cousins, and himself. Not an ideal fit and Cousins could be gone after next season. And in the end, Melo can't make either team true contenders. Its pretty obvious why he prefers Houston, you would too.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#40 » by Hoopz Afrik » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:54 pm

He isn't forcing his way out. Inf fact, it's almost the exact opposite. They all but forced him out. He's just leveraging the power that they gave him when they included a NTC in his contract. I'd do the exact same thing.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Return to The General Board