OT: ESPN Films "Morningside 5"

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,691

OT: ESPN Films "Morningside 5" 

Post#1 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:47 am

Anyone catch this the other night? I just watched it on my DVR and was absolutely riveted the whole show. So poignant seeing this team that was kind of like the Chino Hills of the early 90's but knowing that none of them were to achieve NBA success, and just rooting for them through their personal struggles and goals after basketball.
couchie
Pro Prospect
And1: 495

Re: OT: ESPN Films "Morningside 5" 

Post#2 » by couchie » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:33 am

I'm watching it now. No NBA success but I hope some of them achieve a degree of success. Another 1/2 hour to go. edited to add that I liked how Dominic's life turned out. He got to play overseas. Quit at 26 and went back to college for him Mba and now is doing well. I think Stais just didn't have that lucky break. HE could have been a good role player in the league. I like what he is doing though - working with troubled youth and coaching. The other guy had a job with the summer league before he decided at 38 to try out for basketball one more time. Age always wins dude. So happy Dwight got a job. So not really a sad tale just because they didn't make it to the nba. I agree with the commentator that it is a success story.

Such a juxtaposition though between this and Baltimore Boys which was a sensational documentary. I believe their coach better prepared them to make it.
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#3 » by ItsThatEasy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:48 pm

Inglewood born and raised here.

Always nice to see the city get some recognition!
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,691

Post#4 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:11 pm

couchie wrote:I'm watching it now. No NBA success but I hope some of them achieve a degree of success. Another 1/2 hour to go. edited to add that I liked how Dominic's life turned out. He got to play overseas. Quit at 26 and went back to college for him Mba and now is doing well. I think Stais just didn't have that lucky break. HE could have been a good role player in the league. I like what he is doing though - working with troubled youth and coaching. The other guy had a job with the summer league before he decided at 38 to try out for basketball one more time. Age always wins dude. So happy Dwight got a job. So not really a sad tale just because they didn't make it to the nba. I agree with the commentator that it is a success story.

Such a juxtaposition though between this and Baltimore Boys which was a sensational documentary. I believe their coach better prepared them to make it.

Yeah it was crazy, I was all nervous hoping Dwight would do well at that camp and land that job, it was perfect for him. It looked like Stais was really close, just didn't get that lucky break to crack a roster and stick. But definitely not a tragic movie, a lot of ups and downs and very inspiring and touching in the end.

I will have to check out Baltimore Boys, I don't know anything about it besides vaguely remembering the title. I loved Hoop Dreams too, in some ways this was better because it went through 3 separate phases in their lives- HS, basketball, and post-basketball.
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#5 » by 2Mas » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:13 pm

Never even heard of these ppl.

Who are they?
Big Daddy A
Ballboy
And1: 19

Post#7 » by Big Daddy A » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:58 pm

I'm not sure what the embed rules are, but the full documentary is up on YouTube in decent (720p) video quality.

Bobalob
Bench Warmer
And1: 882

Post#8 » by Bobalob » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:00 pm

That ish was sad as hell. Not bc of how sad their lives eneded up---bc they really didnt other than the guy who went to jail for a few years---but it was sad to see 18 year olds full of life and promise, then ffwd to age 38 and they're old and washed up. I'm 35. That s*** ruined my night :lol: :cry:

Return to The General Board