New NBA Analytics 76ers Website

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

EricSidewater
Ballboy
And1: 11

New NBA Analytics 76ers Website 

Post#1 » by EricSidewater » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:11 pm

My team has launched an investigative NBA Podcast that aims to demystify basketball research and help connect NBA fans to the world of data analytics and the intricacies of NBA strategy. We consult industry experts as we seek answers to the NBA’s most pressing questions through the lens of the Philadelphia 76ers. We also will continue doing deep-dives on mid-tier NBA players and figuring out what their true value is. Would greatly appreciate if you shared this tweet:
Read on Twitter

One person who shares the tweet will automatically get selected to ask a question to a guest of their choice:

Dean Oliver (Basketball Analytics Pioneer)
Daryl Morey (Rockets GM/MIT Sloan Conference Founder)
Gib Arnold (Boston Celtics Scout)
Nick Hauselman (BBallBreakdown Coach)
Ben Falk (Former VP of Basketball Strategy for 76ers)
Justin Jacobs (NBA Data Scientist)

http://www.sixerscience.com/

We hope all NBA fans who want an inside look at the 76ers will check it out.
mastermixer
Starter
And1: 2,949

Re: New NBA Analytics 76ers Website 

Post#2 » by mastermixer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:21 pm

Looks pretty cool but there's one thing I don't understand.

In your post it says: "We consult industry experts as we seek answers to the NBA’s most pressing questions through the lens of the Philadelphia 76ers."

But at the bottom of your website is says: "Disclaimer: Sixers Science is a non-commercial, opinion-based podcast that is not associated with the Philadelphia 76ers or the National Basketball Association."

What is your connection with the Sixers and what do you mean by "through the lens of the 76ers?"

Not to mention, the title of your thread is "new nba analysts 76ers website"

It's just all a little confusing to the consumer
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,514

Post#3 » by 76ciology » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:47 pm

Trust The Numbers
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
EricSidewater
Ballboy

Post#4 » by EricSidewater » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:30 am

mastermixer wrote:Looks pretty cool but there's one thing I don't understand.

In your post it says: "We consult industry experts as we seek answers to the NBA’s most pressing questions through the lens of the Philadelphia 76ers."

But at the bottom of your website is says: "Disclaimer: Sixers Science is a non-commercial, opinion-based podcast that is not associated with the Philadelphia 76ers or the National Basketball Association."

What is your connection with the Sixers and what do you mean by "through the lens of the 76ers?"

Happy to clear this up for you! With using the "Sixers" name in our URL, we have to declare that we are non-commercial or we risk being shut down. We consult people in the data analytics field and basketball experts to help with our research projects, not people who are necessarily working for the 76ers. "Through the lens of the 76ers" means we explore broad NBA analytical topics but using the 76ers as the medium through which to tackle these problems. Hope this clears some things up for you!
mastermixer
Starter
And1: 2,949

Post#5 » by mastermixer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:26 am

EricSidewater wrote:

Happy to clear this up for you! With using the "Sixers" name in our URL, we have to declare that we are non-commercial or we risk being shut down. We consult people in the data analytics field and basketball experts to help with our research projects, not people who are necessarily working for the 76ers. "Through the lens of the 76ers" means we explore broad NBA analytical topics but using the 76ers as the medium through which to tackle these problems. Hope this clears some things up for you!

Honestly not at all. But I'll check out the content and see I like it. Thanks for taking the time to answer.
Good luck
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#6 » by dorkestra » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:40 am

A ton of great analysis on your site. From a business perspective, I think you will find a lot more success if you can find a way to bring more clarity what it is specifically that you offer that others don't. Wordsmith it - I think I know what you're getting it, but the objective is not 100% clear. If you want any help brainstorming a way to articulate it - I suggest looking at a list of startup investor decks and just look at how clear they present their problem and how they are solving it:

https://medium.com/startup-grind/all-the-public-startup-pitch-decks-in-one-place-7d3ddff33bdc
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
miamiheat319
Veteran
And1: 6,960

Post#7 » by miamiheat319 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:09 am

Quite OT, but the way the letter G looks in that font is very disturbing to me lol. Otherwise, great site. Some really nice info on there.
NBA Jersey connoisseur
https://youtu.be/k-PaOWxvnz0
RightToCensor
Head Coach
And1: 7,410

Post#8 » by RightToCensor » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:08 am

Cool idea. I wish the Rockets had something like this for the upcoming season.
suckfish
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,273

Post#9 » by suckfish » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:59 am

What's confusing? It's a website that has no official connection with the Sixers, that attempts to breakdown and discuss Sixers basketball through the eyes of the Sixers..
ProfessorJM
Starter
And1: 1,176

Post#10 » by ProfessorJM » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:10 am

dorkestra wrote:A ton of great analysis on your site. From a business perspective, I think you will find a lot more success if you can find a way to bring more clarity what it is specifically that you offer that others don't. Wordsmith it - I think I know what you're getting it, but the objective is not 100% clear. If you want any help brainstorming a way to articulate it - I suggest looking at a list of startup investor decks and just look at how clear they present their problem and how they are solving it:

https://medium.com/startup-grind/all-the-public-startup-pitch-decks-in-one-place-7d3ddff33bdc

That's a great resource, nice post.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#11 » by Sixerscan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:33 pm

mastermixer wrote:
EricSidewater wrote:

Honestly not at all. But I'll check out the content and see I like it. Thanks for taking the time to answer.
Good luck

The topics they talk about will use the Sixers as examples rather than people from the other 29 teams.
Veyron
Senior
And1: 509

Post#12 » by Veyron » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:49 pm

Sixers are coolest NBA franchise.
eskimo
Junior
And1: 185

Post#13 » by eskimo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:20 pm

Really great website, Eric.

When it comes to shooting I know someone put up a new metric that he terms "stretch". Robert Covington scored really high on it. He put up a Doc with the results of the analysis going back several years. It was quite interesting to look at the results.
EricSidewater
Ballboy

Post#14 » by EricSidewater » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:22 pm

Thanks for all your guy's constructive feedback -- seriously want to take everything into consideration. This might seem crazy, but does anyone have a better way to describe what you think we're driving at? I'm having a hard time verbalizing it.

Return to The General Board